HoT = Dark Souls ? Casual Gamer perspective.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:A simple example...there are these modrem snipers that shoot red lines of death at you. It's easy enough to just move out of them, but they're often accompanied by mordrem tormentors, that put torment on you, which does more damage when you're moving.

Mordrem Thrashers in Dry Top / Silverwastes combine sniper + tormentor by spreading a line of death, that also causes torment, cripple, and poison. Furthermore, before HOT launched they used to be immune to damage unless you hit them from behind (the part where the line of death originates from)

Mordrem Wolves used to easily 1-shot kill players when hitting them from the sides or behind, also swarming the player in big numbers. They also had retaliation on them which meant instant death if you tried to use mass area of effect damage, combined with their much higher health, made them much more deadly than HOT pocket raptors. HOT launch neutered them, reducing their damage to pitiful numbers and replacing retaliation with swiftness.

Beetles in Dry Top used to be immune to damage (blocking all attacks), unless you hit them from behind. They also lost their immunity after using hard CC on them (they flip side if you knock them down), making them more deadly to deal with than the types of Mushrooms or Mordrem riders you see in HOT that also charge you, but aren't immune to damage. HOT launch removed the immunity

Even earlier than Dry Top / Silverwastes we had mobs that taught a lot of the necessary skills required by HOT:Young Karka (released in 2012) are excellent teachers of how to avoid ranged projectile attacks, like from Mordrem Snipers, Mordrem Sharpshooters and various types of Chak.

Toy Princesses (released in 2012) are excellent teachers of how to deal with conditions (or kill yourself)

Even core tyria can teach valuable lessons:Destroyer Harpies and their projectile death attack, Earth Elementals and their projectile reflection and the exploding Risen are some of the more interesting foes.

Thank you for the great summary.

I replayed all of the story stuff (besides dungeons/raids) more or less in-order this year, and I found the baddies in the Leyline arc generally a lot more challenging/frustrating than anything you face in HoT itself. (Especially when you meet them in the Charr areas -- might be something about the level-scaling?)

And, now that you mention it, I was surprised how easy the beetles were now compared to when I first saw them.