8v8 Season

uberkingkong.8041

i think 8v8 can work for stronghold (i would do 10v10 even) and maybe a new gamemode, but not conquest. when numbers start to get too big, classes that can spam aoe effectively are the only viable options. builds will diminish as well since you would have support and damage in the extremes, paired together. might be fun to do once or twice a week tho (sunday and monday?).

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:i think 8v8 can work for stronghold (i would do 10v10 even) and maybe a new gamemode, but not conquest. when numbers start to get too big, classes that can spam aoe effectively are the only viable options. builds will diminish as well since you would have support and damage in the extremes, paired together. might be fun to do once or twice a week tho (sunday and monday?).

Good idea

@viquing.8254 said:9v9 with 1 of each class just for the meme and bypass balance.

good idea> @KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Eh, people have been saying this stuff since day 1.

GW1 and GW2 are two very different games. 8v8 GvG in GW2 will feel nothing like 8v8 GvG in GW1. Don't get too caught up in the appearance of those integers there. The more players you stack on sides in GW2, it begins to get zergy, and then you're gonna have WvW in PvP. Hey, if that's what you want then kudos. Just understand what you're really asking for.

Also, we'd need some kind of new maps and an entirely new game mode to make 8v8 or 10v10 to work. Imo, they should work towards something more like the Hall Of Heroes for an AT event or something. That'd be amazing.

Dude, we already had 8v8Why you talk "8v8 GvG in GW2 will feel nothing like 8v8 GvG in GW1"?

Yeah of course its different, but you make it sound like 8v8 would be a nice thing in GW2.

The game started out 8v8, 5v5 was the new thing.When 5v5 came along (for the casuals), thats when players started leaving.Thats when #esports died (no casuals no #esports)

Back then, if you didn't do tourny,5v5 was a NEW thing.

8v8 everybody was enjoying it. Who cared about 5v5 tourny.

8v8 was too zergy in conquest.

Yeah because that was casual.Thats what casuals want.

ok

Thats why there was 30+ full servers going on.Because again, THATS WHAT CASUALS WANT.

No, that's because the game was new on release, no one knew what to expect yet, and literally thousands of players were playing pvp at any given point in time.

Yes bro, aint no joke with 30+ full 8v8 servers.I remember picking the 090s because I haded the "server full message"

Yeah, but things are a lot different in terms of what players want, now that we are 9 years in and have experienced ranked seasons/AT formats/ect ect.

The meta is also just dramatically different than release day. If you were to try and run 8v8 in a conquest map now, it would result in literally everyone running supports & bruisers only so they can stack together. It'll be Tempests & FBs & Holos & Scrappers & Necromancers forever baby. The more players crunched into a conquest map, the less relevant Thief/Mesmer/Ranger like roles become, because they can't go anywhere without a support/bruiser stack being there. Same thing would happen as with wvw zerging, there won't be a place for the classes designed for mobility and trickery.

Its easy for you to talk about it, you wasn't PvPing or there at that time.I WAS, I had 3 MILLION GLORY thats a kitten ton

I've owned this game since day 1 release. I have 15,345 hours played over 2,972 days, and 18,105 games played.

I spent a lot of time trolling around hotjoin in the beginning. Original Capricorn was my all time favorite map, still is to this day.

Do you know why hotjoin will never be a thing again? Because there is an entire list of dozens and dozens and dozens of custom arenas sitting there with maximum player capacity team customization, designed exactly like old hotjoins, are the old hotjoins for all intents & purposes, they do the exact SAME THING, but no one ever joins them to play in them.

Telling you man, things are just different now in 2020.

And to throw in something else to boot here, have you ever tried 3v3 conquest in a custom arena? It strangely works amazingly well.

3v3?Nothing but a bunch of bots

Nothing but people exploiting leaderboard (aka on first day they get to 1900+ rank points, and then the rest of the days they just maintain it, you get +100s on first day, so they exploit it)

Dude you talking about hotjoins now?Its because they got rid of the glory system, thats why nobody plays them anymore.If you got something with little to no reward vs something with great rewards.... OF course nobody is going to play hotjoins.

The difference back then was ONLY pros could get the rewards from ranked(which was tournament vouchers), you had to win.Now, its a participation thing for ranked.

Thats why nobody plays hotjoins now, and it defaults to 5v5.

Anet killed 8v8In that process it killed EsportsIn that process it killed pvp

Rose tinted glasses, my friend. Rose tinted glasses. Nostalgia is one heck of a drug, in that it impairs ones better judgment.

Also, 5v5 is already a bunch of bots. You think 8v8 will be any different? No, it won't because people don't care about this games PvP because ANet clearly doesn't.

I've only seen bots in 3v3, usually stuck at bottom of silver tier.

@"Brimstone Jack.3462" said:8v8 these days pretty much means you need to be running the game in dx12.

You saying the system can't handle it?Already played 8v8, it was smooth. Don't make statements about this game can't handle it when the game was originally designed for it.

8v8 came before 5v5.

Why so many balance issues?Because the game was designed for 8v8 and now they have 5v5, which less numbers cause more balance issues.When you get all the way to 1v1 or 2v2. It's nothing but did you pick the meta or not.

In 8v8, more about skills, it can be 1v1 it can be 3v3, or it can be a big team fight.Not 1 class thrives in 1v1, 3v3, and big team fights.

More balance in 8v8

BtwAint none of you seen Ranked 8v8 before because thats never done, all you saw was HERE TO HAVE FUN hotjoins 8v8.

Hotjoins now??? Just doing daily, not HERE TO HAVE FUN

This game got rid of the HERE TO HAVE FUN in pvp.It killed it and then brought back hotjoins later hoping people forget and say "hotsjoins is still here"bro you killed it and brought it back, aint the same.

Hotjoins and EoTM are the greatest things, people loved, HERE TO HAVE FUN....

Have fun in PvP WvW, unheard of especially when its referring to newbies and casuals and even some pros.

What they did was killed it, and "EoTM is still here, hotjoins is still here"smh

I know yall aint doing rank FOR FUN.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@Brimstone Jack.3462 said:8v8 these days pretty much means you need to be running the game in dx12.

You saying the system can't handle it?Already played 8v8, it was smooth. Don't make statements about this game can't handle it when the game was originally designed for it.

Are you mad because you don't know the difference between what a game was designed for and what it's currently optimized for? Or because you didn't know there's an add-on that does this already? Either way, you're wrong, your statement is wrong, and your attempt at coming off as superior just made you sound angry and childish.

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

Rose tinted glasses, my friend. Rose tinted glasses. Nostalgia is one heck of a drug, in that it impairs ones better judgment.

Also, 5v5 is already a bunch of bots. You think 8v8 will be any different? No, it won't because people don't care about this games PvP because ANet clearly doesn't.

I've only seen bots in 3v3, usually stuck at bottom of silver tier.

Okay and so if you and pretty much any other casual PvPer is playing in those tiers if things went to an 8v8 setting, guess what? Its gonna be bots just like it is in the current 5v5.

The problem with 8v8 is only one conquest map ( Legacy of the Foefire ) actually makes sense for it, since the Lord is an attractive enough side objective to warrant the larger player numbers splitting, and the mid point is large enough to make the extra AoE spam from 3 extra players not feel as bad. The other maps would all be a spam circles on point clusterf**k. Any 8v8 season would have to basically lock it to LoF only otherwise it just wouldn't be very fun.

All this would do is make more room for more BOTS ?3v3 6man game mode 4/5 Bots off-peak average5v5 10man game mode 6/7 Bots off-peak average8v8 16man game mode 9/10 ?wont change wait time BOTS will just fill the spaces ...Arena net CBA to deal with the bots we got......

@"Aeolus.3615" said:wonder if they could fork up some gw1 gvg map just for testing :\ even with bad res

This game and Quake Champions making similar mistakes.

Quake Champions has a ton of good Quake maps, yet they "have issues" using them.Guild Wars 2, it already has Guild Wars in Guild Wars. it could fork it up.It already has good maps from Guild Wars. it could fork up.

Quake and Guild Wars had good #esports scene, very lively PvP scene.Quake Champions and Guild Wars 2 however. OPPOSITE. Crap crap #esports and PvP scene.Both games went out the gates #ESPORTS #ESPORTS4v4 or less ONLY5v5 or less ONLY

...Who the heck did 8v8 hotjoins? Its TOOOOO DANG POPULAR.Kill it, force everyone into 5v5.

...PvP playerbase DROPS, nobody gives a fuck about 5v5 or less.8v8 is where it was at.SOOOOO MANY in HOTJOINS even though it had unranked and ranked.

Now... Nobody in hotjoins except daily and few 1v1.

GW2 KILLED there PvP playerbase by SHOVING DOWN #ESPORTS, 5v5 ONLY because 8v8 isn't #ESPORTS.

/...Newsflash, you need casuals, and casuals don't like playing #esports, thats what pros do, not casuals.Casuals don't like feeling of nothing but competition in PvP, they want to have fun.FUn is 8v8, it has zerging in it, some people like to be slick about it,

...Fun in Quake is FRAGFEST, which you need 16 players not 8 players max.FRAGFEST is pretty much zerging in GW2 when it had 8v8 hotjoins.

...Yall take PvP too serious saying "UH disgusted, 8v8 nothing but zergfest aka fragfest"EXACTLY, thats what people enjoy.

@Tomo.8324 said:All this would do is make more room for more BOTS ?3v3 6man game mode 4/5 Bots off-peak average5v5 10man game mode 6/7 Bots off-peak average8v8 16man game mode 9/10 ?wont change wait time BOTS will just fill the spaces ...Arena net CBA to deal with the bots we got......

yeah ok, more bots?This game is a MMORPG right?

In Everquest I remember Guides and GMs, GW2 needs some of these people.It takes too long to remove the bots.I've only seen bots in 3v3 too.

There isn't a problem with bots in PvP, if anything maybe they all in lowest Silver tier and wood tier, which hardly anyone is at. I only think that because in 3v3 I'm in the lowest silver tier. I've only seen bots in 3v3, and I've played over 5k games.

@"Sifu.9745" said:I would rather see 6 vs 6 first. Just a small increase in numbers: if that would work, we should think about 7 vs 7, 8 vs 8 or 10 vs 10 later.

Would work?8v8 already worked.

No need to test stuff.

Its been so long since #esportsIts been so long since 8v8

No one in particular but I notice, some people look at 8v8 and think "hrmmm this is new, its an experiment"

It ALREADY IS PROVEN SUCCESS1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4 THOSE are experiments. FAILED ones

Meanwhile 8v8ALREADY PROVENALREADY SUCCESS

Founding fathers of GW2 DESIGNED PvP for 8v8.PvP started 8v8.WAS SUCCESSFUL

They had a lack of #esports, so they FORCED everyone to play like how the #esports games are played, 5v5.Now look at community, no #esports, not so good PvP community.

Especially when I hear "monthly tournament, same people will win again"Not "this team or that team or this other team will win"Same team will win, meaning aint any rivals, community is pretty much dead, few remaining excellent players that team up always win it.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524"

"Esports never died actually.

Anet removed themselves from ESL when the commercial profits were no longer worth the investment.

^ That is actually true."

Actually,...

"It seems that ESL is removing Guild Wars 2 from its eSports roster, and although there was no official reason given, it’s likely due to a lack of participation. Throughout the last year, there have only been a handful of players and teams participating in Guild Wars 2 tournaments through ESL.

Many tournaments were simply cancelled due to not meeting the minimum requirements, and most that did take place had less than 5 teams (or 20 players for 1v1 tournaments) participating. Furthermore, there hasn’t been a North American tournament since the Christmas Cup on December 21, 2016, which only included 3 players.

There are a number of possibilities as to why the numbers for GW2 ESL have been dwindling, such as more casual players focusing on in-game seasons, competitive teams hosting their own scrimmages, or the overall player base and drive for semi-competitive PvP dropping."

@uberkingkong.8041 said:

@Aeolus.3615 said:wonder if they could fork up some gw1 gvg map just for testing :\ even with bad res

Quake for me died long time ago, i was in fact invited for aply to a esl team back in the days when esl was still growing i do even remember a theft cash issue in some of its direction board, :\ but i stayed in q2 and never completelly moved to q3, anything else after q3 lost its sense of iteration and gameplay due the idiotic mods, i once read a site how good some players were killing others with the mod of BFG insta kill mod.. i was like seriously....??????People on Quake live called me noob very ofted couse i could presure alone and kill with the rail gun (advantage of being a lithium rail only player).

I like fragfest due skill gap and it need when it needs to happen not a game that continuadly feels like it... even gimmicks on the old days of GW1 required skill and team would fail on some ig they werent sync enough, gw2 is like u say whem comparing quake games evolution all this years...

@Swagger.1459If i recall there were soome other issues besides the comercial profits, mechanics and gameplay wise game was not doing well as well.

Sorry about the bad english :\