Please let us turn off other player effects [Merged]

@Yggranya.5201 said:If people can't make your eyes bleed whether you want that or not, who would bother dealing with RNG/pay a ton of money to get them? At least anet seems to think that nobody would be intrested. Is it the reason? I don't know. Have they ever addressed this in any way?

I don't think that Anet has addressed this point one way or another; however, I believe that you pretty much have the gist of it. I believe that Anet thinks people won't want to spend money for shinies if they can't show them off. Forcing other players to see them is how that works.

• Confused 1

When the low character model setting is on use I would like to see weapons and back items replaced with basic model and miniatures disabled. Along with any other shinies which may these days exist that I don't know about. Chairs, I believe? I haven't seen them, maybe I can't see them? It's possible I don't see very many people around... which really is exactly as I have planned.

I'd like a possibility for displaying all details on party members when those details are otherwise off.

This is really turning me off from game. I can take People with bunch of infusion (able to turn it off would be nice) but blinding light from snowball tonic?, troll gadget on chest and even instances like fractal 100cm, its so blinding.Sometime, I just think about quitting game altogether because of it. I can't hurt my health to play game. I am gonna wait until PS5 release and gonna have judge this in very detail. Hate to part away from game where I have invested some time but its going out of whack.

• Like 3

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:If people can't make your eyes bleed whether you want that or not, who would bother dealing with RNG/pay a ton of money to get them? At least anet seems to think that nobody would be intrested. Is it the reason? I don't know. Have they ever addressed this in any way?

I don't think that Anet has addressed this point one way or another; however, I believe that you pretty much have the gist of it. I believe that Anet thinks people won't want to spend money for shinies if they can't show them off. Forcing other players to see them is how that works.

As long as you can see own, that's all that matters. I would still get bling for my own enjoyment, as many others would. Having them to show off in hubs and cities would be sufficient and a good compromise (can't disable effect there) If all one wants to play the the game to fulfill some fashion fantasy and actually ruin the game for others, then they need to reflect on and change their priorities.

• Like 2

A game designed around active defense where your ability to recognize a threat and respond according....and then spams visual noise to prevent you from doing so is fundamentally flawed. A visual effects slider, or the ability to reduce visual clutter by turning off other players' effects would help.

• Like 4

Turning all player character models to "lowest" makes everyone appear like mannequins dressed identically...and still with the gigantic flashy effects. Mounts aren't affected, skills aren't affected, auras and blinged-out weapons aren't affected. It looks like the mannequins had a violent accident in an exploding glitter factory.Sure, it helps a tiny bit to reduce eyesores, but...not that much. Still can't see what's going on in combat if other players are around. The option to turn off effects would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

Why isn't this a thing yet? Why do we still have issues with visuals. Screen noise isn't art. Its screen noise. Coding for AI combat and events has no value if player's can't see the tells because all they see is flashes. Do you play your own game? Did you run the last boss event? It's been years now.

• Like 2

I agree with this option tbh. It's kinda sad when you see people with flashy infusions etc but actually can't see the boss you're trying to kill or defend against. (Happens to me at VB meta with matri). I see all players and shiny effects. But poof! Where is the boss, no clue! (Not talking about failed CC and the wyvern flying up xD )

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think this would be the most importnat improvement to the game at the moment.

The whole monetarization is about cosmetics, but I cannot see my character while I play in PvE, because that ridiculous blast of light effects blobbing the screen (and in PvP and WvW my character gets repainted, so PvE is the only place to watch your character...except when you stand in front of the bank).

• Like 1

@mezuzel.4987 said:

@Dreamy Lu.3865 said:I'm also quite disturbed by a few gathering tools with very blinding visual effects, like the sickle (I think), that creates big twisters of flames... Don't misunderstand me. They certainly have nice visual effects, but well, sunglasses to play is not so nice! LOL

You might be thinking of the unbound magic sickle? That one bothers me so much I actually reskinned mine to the default sickle. I wish I could turn off other players' harvesting tool skins so I wouldn't have to turn the camera away or do some creative zooming in/out to get away from the blinding effects. It's particularly bad at the flax farms in Verdant Brink and Draconis Mons, which are in dark areas so the harvesting tool skins stand out even more.

do you have your eyes pressed against the screen? or brightness and contrast at 100%? or are you just using hyperbole?

• 10 months later...

Sorry for gravedigging, but I see no point making a new thread for exactly the same topic.

It has gotten worse and worse, with stackable infusions, armor/weapon/mount skins getting shinier and shinier.
Please give us an option to reduce or remove visual clutter on other player characters.

Maybe with the DX11 / EoD release?

• Like 16

You would think by now and with a gazillion posts on the matter anet would incorporate a slider or toggle. I really hate all the blinding effects and the view blocking effects, I cant see half the mobs bad spells because all there is on my screen is blinding light effects. Its nauseating really , my eyes get fatigued if I train a couple of metas. Why do they refuse to do anything about it? i have my suspicions but will keep them to myself 

• Like 9

I flat out stated I'm not pre-ordering or even buying the next expansion at full price as long as they continue making these obstructive visual effects mandatory. Even made a thread about it to see how many like minded users wanted to issue a shared statement or an "ultimatum" as I had phrased it. Most people thought I was just being negative about Anet or throwing a tantrum so obviously that never went through. Though really, the result is I'm still not spending money like they were hoping, and Anet will probably be none the wiser if  anyone else also refrained from purchasing the expansion for the same reason.

• Like 14
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, DaFishBob.6518 said:

I flat out stated I'm not pre-ordering or even buying the next expansion at full price as long as they continue making these obstructive visual effects mandatory. Even made a thread about it to see how many like minded users wanted to issue a shared statement or an "ultimatum" as I had phrased it. Most people thought I was just being negative about Anet or throwing a tantrum so obviously that never went through. Though really, the result is I'm still not spending money like they were hoping, and Anet will probably be none the wiser if  anyone else also refrained from purchasing the expansion for the same reason.

3 account in this household. Holding it off to buy expansion until they give us option to turn visual noise off. I can barely take it as it is, I don't even know what will they do with dx11 more shinny stuff.

I have to wear glass to play this game. Is this sad?

• Like 7
  • Confused 1