[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Neeman Oria.7504 said:On my HDD I have (sitting at 47.9GB).-addons-bin64-gw2.dat-gw2.tmp-gw2-64-gw2-64.tmp-thirdpartysoftwarereadme

I haven't been able to install on my SSD because of the issue. I found the original problem which was a dupe in the addons folder. But when installing or copying to the SSD the space will reserve the GB needed for the file (in the case of cut-paste) and slowly eat the storage, or it will quickly eat the space (when fresh downloading).

Interesting. Seems like it might be a SSD only problem. I might also consider re-installing GW2 on my SSD in the future, so if indeed this is a problem it would be nice if it is fixed.

SSD, 48gb here.

Nice, I guess it will be fine for me to download again onto my SSD then.

Not sure why the OP is having a problem installing on their SSD then. I assume that you only need the required 48 GB of space free on the SSD to be able to download and install the files, unless there is some compression done of the game files after installation?

BTW You don't need to download it again. You can just move the gw2 folder and all its contents to a folder on your SSD, update your desktop shortcuts to point to the new location and it should work fine.

Great, I will do that then. I don't usually do this because for some things in the past it hasn't worked well, but if others have done it for GW2 and it was fine I'll do it too. Thanks for the tip. :)

@"memausz.7264" said:What will it mean for the Guild Wars 2 community?

Almost nothing.

What are the positives,

Potential new players from the group of people that for some/any reason want to use steam for everything (or have $$ stored in their steam wallet already and feel the need to spend it on mmorpg).

the negatives?

You tell me.

Discuss!

No u.(as in: maybe share your own opinion about it if you think this thread is a "necessary" one? ;) )

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"memausz.7264" said:What will it mean for the Guild Wars 2 community?

Almost nothing.

What are the positives,

Potential new players from the group of people that for some/any reason want to use steam for everything (or have $$ stored in their steam wallet already and feel the need to spend it on mmorpg).

There's lots of potential for a massive amount of new players.How much advertising have arena net done since release? Yeah .. not a lot.There's a lot of people who either assume the game is dead or never knew it existed, and now they can try it out for free.Gaining new players to the game have almost been entirely from word of mouth, now it will be presented in front of millions of potential players.This will be the biggest amount of "advertisement" the game has had for ages.Hopefully the game will be promoted on the store page on launch day, and end up in the "top f2p" section.It's also entirely possible it completely fails, or just does allrightWe'll just have to wait and see.

To be honest, the move is a good one, but the game will be poorly understood.What I mean by that is that from what I have seen, ever since 2015, many people perceive the game as a free to play game, when the game is actually letting people trying out the base game for free instead of paying for it, like in was in the past.

This has led many people saying "Guild Wars 2 is a free to play, pay to win game" and from what I've seen in some of the curators posts on Steam, they share the same oppinion. This might affect the game negatively. The "free to play, pay to win" type of games are so many these days that many people assume that if a game has paid content, it's automatically pay to win. Pretty sure most people that have never heard of Guild Wars 2 or never tried it, will just assume the base game was always free to play and that the paid content is a "locked content in order for Arena Net to get more money, pay to win game, yada yada" without even searching to see that the base game wasn't initially like this.

So while Steam might improve the population a bit, it might have an overall bad impact because it will further spread the oppinion of those people who think that Guild wars 2 is a pay to win game. I'm neutral towards this Steam thing, but the negative impact it might have on the game worries me.

@"Crono.4197" said:This has led many people saying "Guild Wars 2 is a free to play, pay to win game" and from what I've seen in some of the curators posts on Steam, they share the same oppinion. This might affect the game negatively. The "free to play, pay to win" type of games are so many these days that many people assume that if a game has paid content, it's automatically pay to win.

To be fair, from a PvP and WvW perspective, GW2 is pay to win.After all, elite specializations tend to outperform core professions and they need to be paid for.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Crono.4197" said:This has led many people saying "Guild Wars 2 is a free to play, pay to win game" and from what I've seen in some of the curators posts on Steam, they share the same oppinion. This might affect the game negatively. The "free to play, pay to win" type of games are so many these days that many people assume that if a game has paid content, it's automatically pay to win.

To be fair, from a PvP and WvW perspective, GW2
is
pay to win.After all, elite specializations tend to outperform core professions and they need to be paid for.Which still by definition means every game, including singleplayer games and their expansions/dlc, are pay to win. Because last I checked, you have to pay for games to win at them. To be fair, thats not
really
the definition of MMO p2w, is it? Neither sPvP or WvW is that simple. Someone with core can curbstomp someone with all expansions.

It doesnt really matter what steam curators say though, overall impressions of the game is more important.

Sooo to be clear although we cant link our accounts to steam, we can at least play with the steam account players yes? Like as they said its a shared world so whether you are an Anet or Steam user this will be populating the worlds right? Though I'm sad we cant transfer and use steam wallets instead, I'm happy if it means it'll populate more of the maps again.