Raise the sell price limit on the trading post

@Cuks.8241 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:Sure, they could increase the taxe for the item priced above 10k to 20% then increase it to 30% for the item above 50k, then 40% for the item at 100k and above... etc. And with only 50% refund if the item is removed by the player that put it on the trading post? Wouldn't it be a lovely middle point?

Except no one would use TP for high priced items than. People that deal with large sums already try to avoid TP to avoid tax.

I know that, and it's exactly why I wrote this answer. The hard limit is also a way for ANet to say that at this price it's excessive and they would rather have a flourishing economy within their game than an inflation leading to skyhigh prices that only benefit few people with already to much gold in their hands, hoarding low price item and then reselling them at higher price. You can see this as a way to protect new players access to ressources.

Basically anything a new player might need in the game drops in such quantities, that there will always be a cheap source even if the TP maximum prices were pushed up to a billion.There are already plenty of individuals playing the game who could just buy all t6 materials off the trading post and reprice em as they like to 10k, but they will have to stay online 247 to keep buying things as they are listed, and they can't stop the cheaper stuff that people are instantly selling to people who order em for low prices.

If you don't sell or buy items over 10k, this change would never affect you at all in any way tbh.

People generally are afraid of things they don't seem to understand, and I see a lot of that sort of fear in this thread.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Sure, they could increase the taxe for the item priced above 10k to 20% then increase it to 30% for the item above 50k, then 40% for the item at 100k and above... etc. And with only 50% refund if the item is removed by the player that put it on the trading post? Wouldn't it be a lovely middle point?

No, this is actually one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:By having the cap at 10k you add a risk for players that want to sell an item above 10k gold. Risk it, or sell it for less than 10k. A better solution: items shouldn't be "worth" more than 10k gold. Who even comes up with how much an item is "worth" anyway?

An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.Indeed, but that is at least partially dependant on item rarity. Which in this game is not decided by people that want to buy it, nor by people that sell it. It's completely controlled by Anet.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:How would raising a cap which only impacts like three items be harmful to the economy?If the impact is so low it doesn't matter, why bother increasing the cap in the first place?

But the real reason is that increasing the cap might influence Anet to introduce more of similar items.It might not have any immediate result, but could easily cause a longterm shift in the market economy. The cap is one of the things that keeps the market relatively stable longterm, because the mere knowledge that this cap is there and won't be raised is a stabilizing factor.

@"Ubi.4136" said:There are items that drop in game that are worth more than 10k gold, but that is the cap on what the trading post allows. This needs to be addressed. People should not have to risk being scammed by another player or a "trusted" third party service to sell rare items that are worth more than what the current Trading Post allows.

Don't have anything that valuable, but agree. Move it to 999,999. Nothing should be done outside of game.

@Vavume.8065 said:

No, this is actually one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard.

Hmmm...

I would agree, but we have many countries that feel that type of system is perfectly fine.

Back on Original Post: if people want to pay the expense above 10k, yes, they take a risk. This isn’t a new problem.

I am sure that Anet knows the amount of people that have traded these items as somewhere in their reports on their data base, then can ascertain exactly which accounts have them and which ones have come into those accounts since the price in the TP went to 10k.

And it obviously isn’t enough where they would choose to recode the TP with a new high end limit.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:How would raising a cap which only impacts like three items be harmful to the economy?If the impact is so low it doesn't matter, why bother increasing the cap in the first place?

I don’t personally care either way. I was just responding to some people on here making the claim that raising the cap would somehow be detrimental to the economy.

But the real reason is that increasing the cap might influence Anet to introduce more of similar items.

They have been doing that over the years since the chak egg although it’s incredibly uncommon. It’s entirely dependent on the drop rate, how many players are participating in the event that drops the items, and demand for the items.

It might not have any immediate result, but could easily cause a longterm shift in the market economy. The cap is one of the things that keeps the market relatively stable longterm, because the mere knowledge that this cap is there and won't be raised is a stabilizing factor.

I don’t believe this to be true. The current prices for the vast majority of existing items are not dictated by whether there’s a price cap or not. Those items that exceed the cap are typically traded outside of the TP at prices which exceed the price cap. I don’t see the price cap playing any role in stabilization.

@Vavume.8065 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:I don't think any item should be worth over 10k gold.

I don't know the term in English but it's a free economy, stuff costs what players think it costs

Up to the value of 10k yes, which is the cap Anet decided stuff can cost.

Nope, up to the value any specific player is willing to pay for it.

@Vavume.8065 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:By having the cap at 10k you add a risk for players that want to sell an item above 10k gold. Risk it.

This is like saying, "By having the God of Pvp title in the game you add the risk of people win trading ". The point is, there will always be reasons for people to cheat in a game, it's up to the player to have the morals not to... if you go outside the game to sell an item you are a cheat, simple.

That's just wrong, nothing about trading outside of TP is "cheating". Neither is their willingness to pay for something more than 10k.

• Confused 1

@"kharmin.7683" said:Some posters want to raise the cap, but no one has mentioned to what limit or if it should even have a limit. So, what is the proposal? Just saying "raise the cap" isn't going to be enough for Anet to implement anything.

Do you know why exactly the limit for items sold/bought through tp is 10k?I don't. So how am I (or anyone else) supposed to give any specific number if I don't understand what's the reasoning behind the current limitations? Am I supposed to throw a random number? Ok, 100k then. Or no limit, not like I care that much tbh -it's not something that will influence me anyways. But the probable proposal here is "raise it as much as you can, because why not?".

• Confused 1

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@"Naxos.2503" said:All you're going to end up doing is drive all the prices incrementally up. Because everyone thinks what they own is special and thus worth more, they're going to sell it for higher price. Other sellers seeing this will feel like they have to drive prices up or lose out.

Thus begins gold farming bots, gold sellers, a general disinterest in the market, and the economy being driven by a few robber barons counted on one hand. It's happened before. No thanks.

+10

Exactly this

-not forgetting resulting in increase of accounts-including unused accounts being stolen, hijacked and used for RMT-

(
-)

Continue to enforce strict measurements against RMT(--one thing i applaud Anet for is the decrease of RMT--)

-as other suggest, increase drops and keep the cap on-

Nope, not "exactly this" because that's not how economy works and what you wrote has nothing to do with raising tp limits.

• Confused 1

@Vavume.8065 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:There are items that drop in game that are worth more than 10k gold.

I don't think any item should be worth over 10k gold.

Have to agree, how many people will ever have that kind of cash?Very very few i'd say so these items would end up sitting on the store unsold.

Another problem is all those annoying listings that are below the minimum sell price so they cannot be bought and when you try to sell the same item you have to manually alter the sale price and often times the amount as well which is just so kitten annoying after years and years of having to do it.Anet needs to purge all these bogus TP listings at some point.. it's long overdue.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:There are items that drop in game that are worth more than 10k gold.

Have to agree, how many people will ever have that kind of cash?Very very few i'd say so these items would end up sitting on the store unsold.

If you look at all of the items that sell for more than 10K through trades, you’ll notice that they all have many buy orders set at the price cap. Considering that, and people routinely trade these items, I doubt they’d sit on the TP unsold unless they put a price higher than its market value.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

If you look at all of the items that sell for more than 10K through trades, you’ll notice that they all have many buy orders set at the price cap. Considering that, and people routinely trade these items, I doubt they’d sit on the TP unsold unless they put a price higher than its market value.

Probably still counts as a few considering the overall population.Most players will probably never see more than a few hundred gold in their wallet at any given time.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"Ubi.4136" said:There are items that drop in game that are worth more than 10k gold, but that is the cap on what the trading post allows. This needs to be addressed. People should not have to risk being scammed by another player or a "trusted" third party service to sell rare items that are worth more than what the current Trading Post allows.

Don't have anything that valuable, but agree. Move it to 999,999. Nothing should be done outside of game.

200k would be enough, as it's the maximum you can have.

@Teratus.2859 said:

Probably still counts as a few considering the overall population.Most players will probably never see more than a few hundred gold in their wallet at any given time.

And there are those who do and routinely trade these items.

Raise the cap for 2 infusions? Nah. If you are worried about getting scammed then put in a bid for 10k and wait.

@Teratus.2859 said:Another problem is all those annoying listings that are below the minimum sell price so they cannot be bought and when you try to sell the same item you have to manually alter the sale price and often times the amount as well which is just so kitten annoying after years and years of having to do it.Anet needs to purge all these bogus TP listings at some point.. it's long overdue.

THIS! And it wouldn't be hard at all for them to do.

Increase the drop rate of these items. They have done it before. Yes they should raise the cap but increasing the drop rate for a handful of items seems easy enough. Items worth more than the TP limit invites people to put buy offers at the limit then sell them outside the TP for huge profit and this simply should not be possible. It takes advantage of players that are unwilling to break the rules and can only sell for the max TP amount.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:Increase the drop rate of these items. They have done it before. Yes they should raise the cap but increasing the drop rate for a handful of items seems easy enough. Items worth more than the TP limit invites people to put buy offers at the limit then sell them outside the TP for huge profit and this simply should not be possible. It takes advantage of players that are unwilling to break the rules and can only sell for the max TP amount.

Which wouldn’t be an issue if the cap was higher.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Super Hayes.6890 said:Increase the drop rate of these items. They have done it before. Yes they should raise the cap but increasing the drop rate for a handful of items seems easy enough. Items worth more than the TP limit invites people to put buy offers at the limit then sell them outside the TP for huge profit and this simply should not be possible. It takes advantage of players that are unwilling to break the rules and can only sell for the max TP amount.

Would a higher price cap really prevent this? As far as I keep reading reddit and co, most people avoid the TP because of the fee. And there will be a fee if the cap would be increased.And to say that an item is worth what it pays is wrong too. Most people have no choice if they want the item sooo much.I know one person who saved for it for over a year because she wanted the Chack Eggsack so much and gave up everything else. And in the end she was mega Happy, but she always said that she doesn't recommend anyone to support something like that. Because after that she had no real desire to play because of these people.

I mean, what for?10k is an incredible amount and I don't understand how much you have to love gold to sell an item for even more.And when I read here that there is someone who is buying up all these items to sell them for even more... that's not flipping anymore, that's just greed. And there the buyers have nothing more to talk about in the end. Either they pay the asking price, or they leave it. And for a fashion based game that is supposed to be fun, that is a pretty bad tactic.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

Would a higher price cap really prevent this? As far as I keep reading reddit and co, most people avoid the TP because of the fee. And there will be a fee if the cap would be increased.

Agreed. Those that are trading at higher levels will continue to do so.

And to say that an item is worth what it pays is wrong too. Most people have no choice if they want the item sooo much.

.....which is why it’s worth a lot.... Demand. The more something is in demand, the higher it’s price. Lower the price by increasing the supply.

I know one person who saved for it for over a year because she wanted the Chack Eggsack so much and gave up everything else. And in the end she was mega Happy, but she always said that she doesn't recommend anyone to support something like that. Because after that she had no real desire to play because of these people.

Her desire to play was Not destroyed because of ‘these people’. She put a ton of effort into getting (as a guildie if mine used to say) 1’s and 0’s. It’s pixels.. She burned herself out because she HAD to have something. It’s not the player with the item.

(Keep that in mind if you ever want to sell a house. Make sure you sell it for below market value because some buyer might have to work really hard to afford the price.....)

I mean, what for?10k is an incredible amount and I don't understand how much you have to love gold to sell an item for even more.And when I read here that there is someone who is buying up all these items to sell them for even more... that's not flipping anymore, that's just greed. And there the buyers have nothing more to talk about in the end. Either they pay the asking price, or they leave it. And for a fashion based game that is supposed to be fun, that is a pretty bad tactic.

It really isn’t. They earned their gold either by paying for it with real money or by playing the game and keeping gold. They have found a way to earn it. You don’t have to like it. To quote Gordon Gecko: ‘greed is good’

If they increase the limit to 100k or even 1kk, it will change nothing. The next super-rare drop will automatically be listed for the TP maximum. Not because it is worth the price, but because people think this is a smart move. A lot of the items which are traded on the black-market are nowhere near as expensive as they are claimed to be.

Increasing the limit once may just lead to increase it over and over, because people tend to list rare stuff on cap.

In addition, I would like to add that the problem of 10k+ gold-trades does not affect the majority of the community. It is an issue for extremely rich players, which often use black-market trades anyway.