Team ArenaNet for Extra Life 2020

• ArenaNet Staff

Extra Life's official Game Day is less than a month away, and Team ArenaNet is participating for the fourth year in a row. With your help, we've raised over $225,000 for critically ill and injured children over the past three years, and we're inviting you to participate again this year and make that number even bigger! Read all the details here, and join the Team ArenaNet Super Team--or create your own Sub-Team with your guild, friends, and community--here.

We have some surprises in store for this event, so stay tuned for more news as we get closer to Extra Life 2020 #ForTheKids!

2y7q7wr1xdht.jpg

@Rubi Bayer.8493 I'm joining again for my second year. I'm also going to be playing on days before and after game day and am looking at adding simple affordable incentives, and was wondering if the following ideas I have would be a violation of the TOS?

What I want to do is offer the following incentives:

$10 Slave for an hour - I'll help you farm for all possible materials / whatever gold I earn I'll give to you. (GW1/GW2)$20 I'll help assist with the completion of a bounty, story instance, dungeon, or certain achievements. (GW1/GW2)

I haven't put them up yet as I wanted to check to see if they would be allowed or not. If you or someone could let know it would be greatly appreciated. :)-Cephas/Pete

• ArenaNet Staff

@Deathmortus.7852 said:@"Rubi Bayer.8493" When i try to create a subteam via your page/link, there is an error : "Invalid eventID submitted in the URL. Please check the link and try again."

I'm so sorry about the delay on getting back to you on this! I've been heads down getting ready for, uh, well, Extra Life and totally missed this. (That's ironic and awkward...) I think this is working properly now. If it's not please let me know. Super Team pages are updated by Extra Life staff, not the team leaders–we just send them any text and images we want added, but they're super responsive and I'm happy to reach out if you're still having issues. cc @Custodio.6134

@"Cephas.8615" , similar apologies!

You're all good, and thank you for helping! Here are a couple of notes to keep you in good shape:-Change "slave" to "helper".--You should be fine on TOS since it's a charitable donation incentive and you are never touching or gaining access to the money–all donations for this should be going straight to the charity via your Extra Life page.-My advice would be to have the donor include their display name in their donation note so you can reach out.-My other advice is to set a limit of "first x number of people" in case it takes off and you suddenly find yourself committed to 500 hours of helping people. Great for the charity, not great for you.

Thank you!!

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey all, it wasn't exactly an oversight, but a problem with how donation information was being pulled. I was working with another member of our team yesterday to get to the bottom of it, and have an update:

We've discovered an issue with the Extra Life enhancement effect that's causing it to grant some players ten stacks of this buff. We won’t be able to correct the effects of the bug for this year’s Extra Life event, so those players will retain those ten stacks. All other players currently have one buff stack, and the tracked progress will continue to grant them buff stacks normally as the donation total increases. We apologize for the discrepancy and will work on crushing this bug for next year’s Extra Life event. We’re on track to beat last year’s total donations–thank you so much for helping make a difference #ForTheKids!

• ArenaNet Staff

Extra Life event begins tomorrow at noon Pacific time–we are one day out! The schedule is up on our team page so you can see a full list of what we've got planned.

We'll have Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 gameplay, behind-the-scenes development talk, some special guests, and exciting donation milestone celebrations–including some related to our upcoming expansion, End of Dragons!

@"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:Hey all, it wasn't exactly an oversight, but a problem with how donation information was being pulled. I was working with another member of our team yesterday to get to the bottom of it, and have an update:

We've discovered an issue with the Extra Life enhancement effect that's causing it to grant some players ten stacks of this buff. We won’t be able to correct the effects of the bug for this year’s Extra Life event, so those players will retain those ten stacks. All other players currently have one buff stack, and the tracked progress will continue to grant them buff stacks normally as the donation total increases. We apologize for the discrepancy and will work on crushing this bug for next year’s Extra Life event. We’re on track to beat last year’s total donations–thank you so much for helping make a difference #ForTheKids!

Huh, I wondered about that. You could just lean into the bug and give it in 10 stack increments :tongue:

@Thereon.3495 said:Hi! With the 2020 bundle does a donation go to charity if you're converting gold to gems to buy it? I would like to donate but obviously saving a little real life money would be preferable in these times!

They did say the proceeds go to Extra Life so i think its irrelevant where the gems or gold came from as long as you buy the items with gems ;)

I'm not sure Anet can even track how the gems were purchased. Gems bought with gold and ones bought with real money all go into the same pot and it's possible to buy one item with a mix of both.

I assume they are just looking at how many were bought and then donating the value of all of them to Extra Life.

@Thereon.3495 said:Thanks for the replies! I asked just to make sure... it sounds so much like I'm being cheap using in game gold but I guess I'm then donating my time (grinding the gold) instead of real cash. Guess I'm just wrestling with my conscious at the moment! :)

For you to be able to buy gems for gold someone else must have bought gems and turned into gold mate its all good.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Thereon.3495 said:Hi! With the 2020 bundle does a donation go to charity if you're converting gold to gems to buy it? I would like to donate but obviously saving a little real life money would be preferable in these times!

Just confirming that we will still donate to the charity if you purchase the bundle with that method! Thank you so much for helping us to make a difference!

• ArenaNet Staff

@Hesione.9412 said:Does one randomly get an extra item with purchasing the bundle? I got something great and I'm too nervous to mention it just in case I got it through a bug.

I checked into this with our CS team. If you're talking about the tonic, you are all good! It's almost certainly related to the issue I mentioned above with how donation numbers were being pulled. You're fine, I promise! Enjoy!

@HotDelirium.7984 said:This was THE coolest experience! Nick H and the twitch chat picked MY event: the community created event where jade eggs spawn stuff. Thankyou so much and I look forward to playing it!!!

I linked Nick to this comment so he could see too, and it's awesome you had fun with it!!

• 2 weeks later...