One chance to perform a drastic measure in the name of game balance : WWYD?

Yasai.3549

I think I'm gonna lock all the best pvp, wvw and pve players and the balance team together in one room, and have the balance team play with these top tier players repeatedly until they realize how badly balanced their game is.

Edit: yes they will be fed, be allowed to bathe and have change of clothes, I'm not a monster.

What I would do:Rework totally hard CC philosophy. Right now the hard CC philosophy lean toward "long" duration CC locked behind relatively long cast time, I'd make it lean toward short cast time interupt.

Why I would do it:It is not fun to be CC chained, it is not fun to be forced into an helpless passive stance for a relatively long time without real mean to react except a limited amount of stunbreak.

How I'd do it:Change stability from it's current form of "CC block" stacking to a 100% CC effects reduction (be it in duration or distance launched) stacking in duration (however, landing a CC would still interupt with or without stability).

Consequences:It would allow the possibility to return damages to the skills applying CC and introduce more quick CC with very short duration aimed at interupting as an answer to an incoming threat instead of locking down the foe pre-emptively in order to prevent it from using something threatening or not.

redo aoe. its broken in all game modes. most skills do way too much and are way too spam-able.

limit autos 1h to 1 target, 2h 2 target, rifle/ staff/ longbow 3 target.get rid of multi effect skills. no more (x effects 5 enemies 5 allies), its either or now. things like symbols gotta figure out what they wanna be, damage or support? no more pulsing boons, conditions, heals, and damage in one thing. you're either damage or heals, and maybe a condi/ boon (damage gets condi, heal gets boon). not only will this clean up fights it should save a bit of server power.utility skills have the capacity to effect up to 20 allies/ enemies now.make sure support aoe priority in squad goes from 1st party, then to the one below it etc. bottom squad aoe goes to top squad.if it helps save server power, make damage aoe effect people randomly within its radius instead of doing areas checks for every model.limit multi hit skills (hundred blades, blurred frenzy) to 2 hits per sec and change damage accordingly.

while they're at it, put caps on boons and condis. its outta control (both stacks and duration). no more 10+ sec of cripple/ chill, 10+ stacks of burn/ confuse, 10+ sec of quickness/ resistance. that is dumb.

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:redo aoe. its broken in all game modes. most skills do way too much and are way too spam-able.

I've never understood, damage wise, why Anet never implemented the whole "100% Damage to primary target, 50% to all others" thing that other MMOs did.Condis on the other hand.... idk.

Short answer: Reevaluate everything that does three things at once (this is independent of game mode) especially if it's AOE ; doubly so if it's ranged.

The problem is the double standard that has been put into place, since warrior CC damage was absolutely gutted to the point that hammer is only run for boon rip + CC. You can't actually do damage with it in WVW unless the enemy has no stability at any point because the damage is loaded onto hammer #2 (Fierce Blow) which is dependent on hitting a controlled foe.

edit: I would also add that anything that is tacked on a healing skill is clunky whether it is Mantra of Solace (more so in PVE with Liberator's Vow), Lesser Muddy Terrain (Child of Earth trait , more so in WvW/PVP) , Lesser Grenade Barrage (more so in PVP), or other such skills. Back when Method of Madness was used with Chrono it was the same situation.

@Yasai.3549 said:I think I'm gonna lock all the best pvp, wvw and pve players and the balance team together in one room, and have the balance team play with these top tier players repeatedly until they realize how badly balanced their game is.

Edit: yes they will be fed, be allowed to bathe and have change of clothes, I'm not a monster.

This would accomplish nothing, because it's clear that Anet's goal for balancing has nothing to do with what players find optimal in any of these game modes. In fact, the we have the balance we have BECAUSE of the way the game is designed. If you want better balance, what you need is a new game that offers a larger number of approaches to win it. There simply isn't enough of these win strategies to increase the pool of 'balanced' builds.

@Obtena.7952 said:

This would accomplish nothing, because it's clear that Anet's goal for balancing has nothing to do with what players find optimal in any of these game modes. In fact, the we have the balance we have BECAUSE of the way the game is designed. If you want better balance, what you need is a new game that offers a larger number of approaches to win it. There simply isn't enough of these win strategies to increase the pool of 'balanced' builds.

The intention is to just have a bunch of the best mode players playing with them and showing them all the cheese meta builds so that they can see exactly what sort of garbage their slip-shod balancing has brought about but okay lol.

Why?Because I'm utterly convinced Anet (the devs) does not play their own game, and even when they do, they only pop their heads out ever so often and probably not enough to yield results.

@Yasai.3549 said:I think I'm gonna lock all the best pvp, wvw and pve players and the balance team together in one room, and have the balance team play with these top tier players repeatedly until they realize how badly balanced their game is.

Rework all the classes/E-specs. To bring them to where the team wants the modern guild wars 2 to be at; This is a sweeping change that goes acrossed all of the modes and regardless of what they change its what they desire from specs/classes. This way we would have a more concrete and solid foundation, to build upon and tweak and it would give chances for underperforming weapons to be looked at and overhauled to ensure that ALL of the game is viable in some method and its not because of gimmicks or broken interactions.

Drastically tone down the Power of all PvE mobs, eliminate their 3.5s after-attack cooldown periods. This will make survivability stats useful, and tone down the efficiency of dodges, blocks, evades, etc.Implement enemy casting bars. It is aboslutely puzzling to me how they didn't make it into the game.Rework how some of the boons and conditions worked.Prevent the "tab" target switching from focusing on an innocent Moa walking by behind you.

@Yasai.3549 said:

The intention is to just have a bunch of the best mode players playing with them and showing them all the cheese meta builds so that they can see exactly what sort of garbage their slip-shod balancing has brought about but okay lol.

Why?Because I'm utterly convinced Anet (the devs) does not play their own game, and even when they do, they only pop their heads out ever so often and probably not enough to yield results.

well, you can convince yourself whatever you like ... this activity would accomplish nothing. Even if they were aware of meta cheese builds ... I doubt they would be overly concerned. I wouldn't be ... it's a consequence of how the game is designed. We could never have a large volume of balanced builds in this game.

@Obtena.7952 said:well, you can convince yourself whatever you like ... this activity would accomplish nothing. Even if they were aware of meta cheese builds ... I doubt they would be overly concerned. I wouldn't be ... it's a consequence of how the game is designed. We could never have a large volume of balanced builds in this game.

we do have a large number of balanced builds in this game, and how would the top players showing anet the cheese builds change that for the worse?

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

we do have a large number of balanced builds in this game, and how would the top players showing anet the cheese builds change that for the worse?

Like top 10% of builds make the game GG easy, while the remaining 90% can't hope to compete with the top 10%That's one of the major problems with this game's balance right now.

Would be actually funny if people can pick what professions to ban per match/content but Gw2 is not that sort of game.So in order to restore balance, devs need to be tortured by playing with or against these builds so that they can understand "hey, maybe we need to tone these things down, and maybe buff other things"

As of now, their balance strategy is to send in a payload of volatile changes every 6 months, then spend the next 6 months "balancing" the game.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:well, you can convince yourself whatever you like ... this activity would accomplish nothing. Even if they were aware of meta cheese builds ... I doubt they would be overly concerned. I wouldn't be ... it's a consequence of how the game is designed. We could never have a large volume of balanced builds in this game.

It wouldn't ... my point is that it wouldn't make it better. The idea that Anet isn't 'aware' of these builds is wishful thinking, like somehow if they become aware ... all the sudden they are going to become enlightened and balance the game like players expect them to. That doesn't make sense. It disregards the whole history of this game and Anet's approach to changing it.

But hey ... if we have a large number of balanced builds in this game like you say ... then we don't have a problem here in the first place do we ... :wink:

Top 3 changes

1. Reduce protection to -15% damage
  2. Toughness now reduce all damage types, caps at -15% damage
  3. Might now caps damage increases by 10% at max stacks
  4. Boons need to be reworked heavily regarding duration. They have far too much uptime, and too much availability from all classes.
  5. Conditions need to be reworked as well; there is far to much application availability
  6. Lastly, particle effect need to be turned down or off... these ruin the game on so many levels...

@Opopanax.1803 said:

Would like to tap on this note, because this is something I wanna talk about Protection for a long time.WHY THE HELL IS PROTECTION THIS STRONG AND ABLE TO BE LAYERED WITH WEAKNESS?

It makes sense sure, that back when Power burst builds are all over the place, Protection 33% reduction and Weakness graze was still acceptable.After the blanket nerfs to power nerfing everything by 33%, any build which can give themselves Protection and apply Weakness simply shrugs off any Power based attack.

I literally fought an MM Necro yesterday which dealt like 0 friggin damage but couldn't be killed either because DM was giving him pulsing Protect and he was applying Weakness.

This is pretty disgusting tbh, and simply encourages bunker builds.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

Like top 10% of builds make the game GG easy, while the remaining 90% can't hope to compete with the top 10%That's one of the major problems with this game's balance right now.

Would be actually funny if people can pick what professions to ban per match/content but Gw2 is not that sort of game.So in order to restore balance, devs need to be tortured by playing with or against these builds so that they can understand "hey, maybe we need to tone these things down, and maybe buff other things"

As of now, their balance strategy is to send in a payload of volatile changes every 6 months, then spend the next 6 months "balancing" the game.

ye i'm not disagreeing, would be nice to see a fresh approach to the whole thing.

@"Opopanax.1803" said:Top 3 changes

So, in short, totally rework damage formulae?

1. Boons need to be reworked heavily regarding duration. They have far too much uptime, and too much availability from all classes.

True. I would say that, at least, being dependant on combo and combo finishers in the early days of the game was a better design than having boons so readily available like they are right now.

1. Conditions need to be reworked as well; there is far to much application availability

Well, that's an arguable point. It's true for debilitating conditions, but not necessarily true for damaging conditions. I would say that the main issue with conditions is more that they aren't as effectives against AI than they are against players and this imbalance between gamemodes ultimatly hurt the balance of the game as a whole.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Opopanax.1803" said:Top 3 changes

So, in short, totally rework damage formulae?
  1. Boons need to be reworked heavily regarding duration. They have far too much uptime, and too much availability from all classes.

True. I would say that, at least, being dependant on combo and combo finishers in the early days of the game was a better design than having boons so readily available like they are right now.
  1. Conditions need to be reworked as well; there is far to much application availability

Well, that's an arguable point. It's true for debilitating conditions, but not necessarily true for damaging conditions. I would say that the main issue with conditions is more that they aren't as effectives against AI than they are against players and this imbalance between gamemodes ultimatly hurt the balance of the game as a whole.

Removal of concentration and boon duration and tie boons exclusive to blasting fields and tie condis to projectile and finishers and healing to swirl would fix alot

Big toss-up between visual clarity and major boon overhauls/AoE boon nerfs. I'm not really sure which I personally think is more important.I'm sick of everything being on the status bar or a laser-show of effects with glowing weapons/armor/infusions/consumables. The game was literally released with MO and CJ explicitly saying that they do not want players having to constantly check opponents' status bars.

Both require extensive work to fix correctly due to their rolling impact on other things, which is probably why neither have happened.

@"Opopanax.1803" said:

1. Lastly, particle effect need to be turned down or off... these ruin the game on so many levels...

A note for this - you can set the game to the lowest graphics. That'll remove many VFX.

Playing a nice-looking game is optional (for many RiP our potato brethren) - so if you do want it to be ugly/'less distracting', there is already the option for this.

TBH though, this achieves the opposite effect of balance. You actually want more pronounced and beautiful visual effects for skills - it telegraphs skills to other players. And it generally makes the game more pleasing to observe. Win-win.

Conversely, less visual effects hides what is going on and makes it harder/impossible for the player to tell what is hitting them or where to avoid. Making effects invisible or not pronounced ends up making the game more imbalanced and less amusing to watch.

Having more bombastic and entertaining visual effects ends up having a gameplay effect - it lets players know what is going on. That is important.

IMO, they need to turn up visual effects and make them cooler/more distinct.

Add a third stat need for condition damage to be potent, just like Power damage needing Power, Precision and Ferocity. Rename the Condition Damage Stat to Rancor and Condition Damage is now equal to (Power + Rancor)/2. Glassy stats won't be affected, but the tankier stats would have have their efficacy reduced.

@Aplethoraof.2643 said:

@"Opopanax.1803" said:
  1. Lastly, particle effect need to be turned down or off... these ruin the game on so many levels...

A note for this - you can set the game to the lowest graphics. That'll remove many VFX.

Playing a nice-looking game is optional (for many RiP our potato brethren) - so if you do want it to be ugly/'less distracting', there is already the option in game.

I have tried this, but unfortunately it also turns off tells in pve, strikes, dungeons etc, so not a good option.

I would do a partial revert of the damage nerfs that occurred in the February 2020 patch. Coefficients would be buffed to a halfway point between where they are now and where they were originally and I would heavily nerf healing builds while reverting a lot of the nerfs to personal heals and defensive/utility skills. Changes to individual professions would be too large to list, but some highlights include the reversion of one dodge mirage (along with a fairly hefty rework of core mes and both especs that are too large to list here), removal of blind on engineer explosive entrance, special case increases in damage on CC skills (warrior being the main benefactor), consume plasma on thief would be toned down heavily, condition revenant would have the torment on some of its abilities replaced with other damaging conditions so that it might actually need to run condition duration instead of being able to coast on tormenting runes, warrior meme 5m cool down traits would have their icds reduced heavily, reaper damage would be nerfed (not too drastically) but it would be given a bit more mobility to compensate, scourge would need a fairly hefty rework to promote more active play and less turning of the floors into a red light show. There are definitely other changes that would be needed but these are what immediately come to mind.