Chances of getting greatswords with the new expansion?

Aske.2706

@Sifu.9745 said:Greatsword only, if ranged, like Mesmer's GS. I am so done with this melee oriented ele playstyle. We need a good ranged dps option. Something like this: GS in Fire A would be condi based pure dmg, 1200 range. Air: power based dmg, 900 range, dmg + cc. Water: pure support, healing 600 range. Earth melee range (or 240), condi dmg, defense. because of melee range, dmg shouldn't be much lower then Fire.

I agree with almost everything, except for water support/healing.Every single weapon has water support, it's time to make something with good damage on water.Specifically Scepter and main Dagger, the healing is horrible and also the damage.I think Ele needs at least 1 weapon with water/ice damage.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@JohnWater.5760 said:

@Sifu.9745 said:Greatsword only, if ranged, like Mesmer's GS. I am so done with this melee oriented ele playstyle. We need a good ranged dps option. Something like this: GS in Fire A would be condi based pure dmg, 1200 range. Air: power based dmg, 900 range, dmg + cc. Water: pure support, healing 600 range. Earth melee range (or 240), condi dmg, defense. because of melee range, dmg shouldn't be much lower then Fire.

I agree with almost everything, except for water support/healing.Every single weapon has water support, it's time to make something with good damage on water.Specifically Scepter and main Dagger, the healing is horrible and also the damage.I think Ele needs at least 1 weapon with water/ice damage.

Both longbow and rifle could have ice focused skills since it makes no sense to have water arrows/bullets (just like it makes 0 sense for a FROST bow to have WATER autos).

I'd rather have dual pistols with the range of a rifle. Just like thief and revenant got staffs for close range and the latter additionally the hammer for long range, weapon-types don't necessarily have to stick to a certain range.But especially I want something with long range that has barely any cast-time.

@tekfan.3179 said:I'd rather have dual pistols with the range of a rifle. Just like thief and revenant got staffs for close range and the latter additionally the hammer for long range, weapon-types don't necessarily have to stick to a certain range.But especially I want something with long range that has barely any cast-time.

Sure, but pistols are mid range and if they have low cast times then it's essentially FA s/f ele or weaver kind of playstyle, which will make scepter completely worthless since it's already a weak weapon. If it's a 1200/1500 ranged weapon with such play style then it's unique for ele since staff is slow and aoe focused.

@steki.1478 said:

@tekfan.3179 said:I'd rather have dual pistols with the range of a rifle. Just like thief and revenant got staffs for close range and the latter additionally the hammer for long range, weapon-types don't necessarily have to stick to a certain range.But especially I want something with long range that has barely any cast-time.

Sure, but pistols are mid range and if they have low cast times then it's essentially FA s/f ele or weaver kind of playstyle, which will make scepter completely worthless since it's already a weak weapon. If it's a 1200/1500 ranged weapon with such play style then it's unique for ele since staff is slow and aoe focused.

Yep, that's why I said I'd want a long range for it. Ele lacks reliable instant engagement options at range. In the time it takes to cast an auto-attack on staff and for the projectile to complete its journey, some other classes already leapt to the enemy and zerked it down.

@skunkstank.6128 said:Yes and in this case i would much rather have a longbow than a rifle, because rifle just doesn't fit with the theme of the elementalist

To be fair... thinking about it... you could make some pretty amazing skills with a rifle, charged up ice missiles, aim your rifle and fire off 6 ice shards which swarm the target at once. ( like a missile boat launching a volley of missles, they fire outwards then towards the target ).

I'd say you can get the weapon to work with the elementalist.. but what I think ele really needs, is an off hand and mainhand weapon with this expansion, so then you're not picking Focus / Warhorn / Dagger for offhand every single time or Dagger / Sword / Scepter for mainhand.

A likely contender could be Pistol as the next weapon, the question then comes down to will it be mainhand, offhand or both this time around?

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:Elementalists already have the conjured Greatsword, they don't need another one.

What they need is a proper long-range weapon.That means, either Longbow or Rifle should be next.

I second the Longbow, though Pistols might also be on the table.

However, Pistols in GW2 so far have been mid-ranged weapons.And since pistols are one-handed, their range is limited by other one-handed weapons.I doubt Arenanet would give Elementalist 1200 range dual pistols.

@"Fueki.4753" said:However, Pistols in GW2 so far have been mid-ranged weapons.And since pistols are one-handed, their range is limited by other one-handed weapons.I doubt Arenanet would give Elementalist 1200 range dual pistols.

You never know, this might end up being the new skin for the ele pistol =Vhttps://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunsamerica.com%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F02%2FSig-Sauer-P320-357-Sig-2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Say hello to 1200 range pistol shots!

@Smoosh.2718 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:However, Pistols in GW2 so far have been mid-ranged weapons.And since pistols are one-handed, their range is limited by other one-handed weapons.I doubt Arenanet would give Elementalist 1200 range dual pistols.

You never know, this might end up being the new skin for the ele pistol =V

Say hello to 1200 range pistol shots!

And then you are still stuck in melee, because the pistol is offhand-only and dagger is the optimal main hand to accompany it!Because Sceptre is not exactly good.

@Fueki.4753 said:And then you are still stuck in melee, because the pistol is offhand-only and dagger is the optimal main hand to accompany it!Because Sceptre is not exactly good.

I'm really not a fan of the scepter at all either, it feels like it was designed for 1 spammers and 3 weaver memers. Sword is the only mainhand weapon I actually enjoy on ele. So if the ele gets another weapon it needs to be main hand and offhand so players can pick what to slot for the type of play they are going to be doing. Some range but mostly melee, offhand pistol. Mostly range, mainhand pistol with pistol offhand or focus.

I must say ele is a tricky one to guess what weapon they will get, Hammer would be really cool with the elements they wield, but... lightning hammer.

If we base the next weapon on what the ele cant make, then Axe, Longbow/shortbow, hammer, shield and greatsword are out of the question.

This leaves, Mace, Pistol, Rifle and Torch.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:Elementalists already have the conjured Greatsword, they don't need another one.

What they need is a proper long-range weapon.That means, either Longbow or Rifle should be next.

I second the Longbow, though Pistols might also be on the table.

However, Pistols in GW2 so far have been mid-ranged weapons.And since pistols are one-handed, their range is limited by other one-handed weapons.I doubt Arenanet would give Elementalist 1200 range dual pistols.

Maybe not 1200 range but 900 would be enough, specially if they were fast casting weapons.Ele has 1200 range on the staff already so Longbow would be adding another long range but probably slow weapon.Pistols could be their mid ranged fast power weapon, Sceptor is the only mid range weapon they have atm and it is really sluggish and slow.

The way i see it is, on the 1st expansion we got an off hand weapon so 2 new skills per attunement, pof gave us a main hand weapon for 3 + mixed attunments, so my guess is another off hand weapon like torch. If u think about it ele should be able to use a torch, its fire on a stick, practiclly endless fire on a stick and your telling me ele cant use such a simple thing to make magic with?

I don't think Anet will give Ele any weapon for their elite spec that they already have for Conjures and exist as skins in the game since it could lead to "confusion" on what the ele is wielding. This means no Axe, Longbow/Shortbow, Shield, Hammer or Greatsword. My bet would be on Rifle or Pistol for the next weapon, which is very meh to me. The Spell Archer class with a bow would be more fun imo, Ele could use a different kind of range build... but I mean, Scepter is single target and Staff is AoE so what niche would that fill I wonder.

Personally, I've been wanting Mace for Ele since HoT was announced. Swords are so dull imo... would have been a lot more fun swinging around a hammer with thunder like thor or smashing the earth to cause lava eruptions. A nice, beefy, bruiser spec with Mace.

But yeah we'll probably get Rifle and probably a more control oriented game play... Boon Removal perhaps? Or maybe, dare we dream, access to any non-vanilla boons?! :open_mouth:

@"tekfan.3179" said:But especially I want something with long range that has barely any cast-time.I'd expect that for any kind of balance with a "barely any cast-time" long range weapon would cause the damage and/or effectiveness of the weapon to be lower. Ranged weapons already suffer for this. Then, players would complain about Anet introducing a new weapon that was weak.

I think greatsword or axe for ele would be the best. Pretty much every class that's not engineer should be able to use sword, greatsword, dagger, and axe imo. Ele shield could also be really cool and give it skills that give you auras and reflect attacks causing conditions. Honestly eles could get pretty much as many weapons as warrior as long as their weapons leave fireballs and thunderbolts when they hit and it wouldn't be weird. Guns and bows for eles are kind of weird but there are enough mages in fiction that do things like shoot ice balls out of pistols or shoot lightningbolts out of bows it wouldn't be so weird it shouldn't be done.

@Coeruleum.9164 said:I think greatsword or axe for ele would be the best. Pretty much every class that's not engineer should be able to use sword, greatsword, dagger, and axe imo. Ele shield could also be really cool and give it skills that give you auras and reflect attacks causing conditions. Honestly eles could get pretty much as many weapons as warrior as long as their weapons leave fireballs and thunderbolts when they hit and it wouldn't be weird. Guns and bows for eles are kind of weird but there are enough mages in fiction that do things like shoot ice balls out of pistols or shoot lightningbolts out of bows it wouldn't be so weird it shouldn't be done.

Personally i believe they won't be implementing any of the conjure weapons because they would not serve any purpose then (not that they do now) , unless they delete conjures and then implement any of the weapons. But then again an e-spec with the attunements switching weapons for the conjure weapons would be really interesting. The problem would be that then weapons would serve no purpose unless they put like focus main hand and then conjure those weapons with it.