Anet , i would like to request please that you can remove followers

carey.3169

I like the current system - I know the mains of all of my good friends, or can roughly guess based on their account names - so I can freely use my FL to add exceptionally cool people I probably won't talk to again, but I would join them if I saw them on the lfg (friends = blue colour).

If I see some follower I don't know I block them and they are gone. While this may seem dramatic they also don't get the rejection of knowing it as if we actually could remove followers. They can still see me online I guess but who cares. And the stalking thing is rare I'm sure so if this follower of mine who I blocked shows up on maps I'm on I am also not going to get upset by pixels who can't talk/mail me so the system is fine I think

Yeah, the followers and contacts system just seems like a ductaped solution to a problem that they have yet to fix. I do like the current contact system because I can add people to write notes with their nickname on where I've met them with "(Display Name) (WvW, PvP, Fracts, Raids)" and give them invites to groups that are forming up. If they don't respond, I just remove them after a while. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't want any of this to change.

• Friends should be mutual and come with a tagging system for what game mode/activity you met them in along with a "last online" feature that guilds have so you can keep an active friends list if you desire.

• Invisible status should be updated and fixed to no longer show location to mutual contacts (Which become your friends in this new system)

• Blocklist should show display name only. No online or location status and perhaps be mutual (I don't want to see messages from someone who has me blocked and the reverse is true.)

• With the blocklist updates, there should be a new system "Mutes" that allow you to temporarily block someone for 1, 5, 12, or 24 hours because sometimes, someone's just being obnoxious in chat and a block is permanent while a temporary mute would suffice since you'll likely not meet them again anytime soon. People added to this list are automatically removed after the time limit is up.

• Mail and whispers should have a friends, party, squad & mutual Guild members only options. (no more mail or random whispers from people you don't know)

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:Why not add a sprocket to the top-right corner of the contacts-tab, with a couple of customization options:

• Display Followers
  • Display Blocked
  • Allow Followers to see my status (online, offline, idle)
  • Allow Followers to whisper me
  • Allow Followers to send me mails
  • Allow Followers to gift me Gemstore Items
  • Allow Strangers to whisper me
  • Allow Strangers to send me mails
  • Allow Friends to see my status (online, offline, idle)
  • Allow Friends to whisper me
  • Allow Friends to send me mails
  • Allow Friends to gift me Gemstore Items
  • Allow Blocked to see my status (online, offline, idle)

In addition I would like to ask

• to disallow Invisible people whispering anyone
  • to disallow whispering to a Blocked player

Despite my suggestions, t his seems to be the most likely thing to happen as it doesn't change much about how the current system works.

There are really two issues that result from the system:

1. It much more easily allows for harassment/stalking in game (finding when a player is online/offline, where they are, etc).
  2. In WvW, this is one of the ways people guild/tag watch to see when certain groups are on online, what map they're on, etc. They can block -> get account name -> add to friends. If they are on the MAIN server, opponents show as just "World vs World". If they are on a LINKED server, they can see the BL the person is on. So, they can see if a person swaps maps very easily. This can greatly inhibit stealth caps (e.g. you make your tag private, your raid ports to a random BL, and....the enemy is already there waiting).

While both of these things can be solved by going invisible, that also then inhibits the person being FOLLOWED more than it does the person following. I don't think it would be too much to ask, or too breaking, to have a notification when you gain a follower, and the ability to right-click -> remove follower.

I'd like to remove complete strangers I have never met.

Various options would also be nice, for example in case friend requests existed there would be a way to block those.Guild invitations are another example, at least I was able to create a maximum amount of guilds so they can't send them anymore.

I would also be happy about a better solution. Always found it strange that my followers list is longer than my friends list, because I usually have different times than most of my guild where everybody is older. That's why I often play alone and also generally don't add people.I like my friendlist compact, with people I do a lot of things with. I do not like to add people randomly.

I once wrote to people on my follower list and asked them why they follow me. Almost all of them had no idea and said that they followed all the peoplpe they had fun with in Fraks or Raids.People who do this really organized, could write to the people ^^''. I mean, did one of you ever think about whether the other one felt the same way?If so, that's great then maybe you have found a new friend. But if not, it's only fair to leave him alone.The block list could also be reworked. I don't want to play fractals with people who blocked because they were offensive.Recently I even had the first case ever where someone from his newly formed group kicked me out, for whatever reason.Then I started my own group because there were no others at that time. And after a few minutes he suddenly joined my group. I told him that he should please not join my group. But it seemed that he was not able to answer, so I dissolved the group to make a new one and he joined my group again and again even when I blocked him ...This was the first time that something so strange happened to me, but this is exactly what a blocklist should prevent oO.

@PyrateSilly.4710 said:

@carey.3169 said:Would love to see a updated version of contacts, similar to other online games, that friendship be mutually requested, and to remove unwanted followers, without having to change account details.

What's the issue with the current system? Not attacking, just curious.

The problem comes in when you have a harasser in game (or out of game) that follows you. Yea ... kinda had a few of those and yes I do block them but if they follow you to try to keep harassing you then, at least from I can see on my lists, they can still see you. The only good thing is since I have blocked them I don't see stuff from them ... others can thou. All because they followed me.

If they are actually harassing you report them. If they continue to harass you report them again. If Anet does not act upon the harassment contact the authorities.]

All of this predicated on the assumption that we are talking about actual harassment here.

That said, it is weird that ANet provides tools to allow strangers to monitor you in game. I would not oppose a change to the system.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@carey.3169 said:Would love to see a updated version of contacts, similar to other online games, that friendship be mutually requested, and to remove unwanted followers, without having to change account details.

The problem comes in when you have a harasser in game (or out of game) that follows you. Yea ... kinda had a few of those and yes I do block them but if they follow you to try to keep harassing you then, at least from I can see on my lists, they can still see you. The only good thing is since I have blocked them I don't see stuff from them ... others can thou. All because they followed me.

If they are actually harassing you report them. If they continue to harass you report them again. If Anet does not act upon the harassment contact the authorities.]

All of this predicated on the assumption that we are talking about actual harassment here.

That said, it is weird that ANet provides tools to allow strangers to monitor you in game. I would not oppose a change to the system.

Well to some in these threads it seems like even adding them to your friend list and becoming their follower is harassment.I recall someone complaining that people they had blocked somehow found them and kept jumping up and down on them all the time.

@Linken.6345 said:

Well to some in these threads it seems like even adding them to your friend list and becoming their follower is harassment.I recall someone complaining that people they had blocked somehow found them and kept jumping up and down on them all the time.

I think that the term harassment is thrown around a bit too lightly these days. My kid sister, when I was growing up, constantly asked to accompany my friends and I when we went out. Should I have called the police to report her for harassment?

They should just add a check box "Allow 'followers' to see my status" or "Hide my status from 'followers'".

If you are harassed by someone you can block them. It is their "friend list" real estate, not yours. Do you really want to go through and periodically purge your follower list? It may be cathartic for some, but something about this seems unhealthy for society virtual or otherwise. It's the same silliness as "facebook friend purges" etc.

So with that, also this.

@Zephire.8049 said:It very much needs an overhaul, or at the very least changed so blocking someone removes them from your followers and they can't see where you are.

I sometimes add people that I do not intend to be friends with, but met out-of-game, forums, etc., and 'follow' so I can contact them when they are online. Or it just serves as a reminder for someone that was a good member in a PUG. 96% of the time I never contact followers more than once or twice. My follower's list is just basically a list of acquaintances that I normally don't play with. This can be helpful for realizing I've met someone before when they play an alt with a vastly different name and account names are really the only way to know who a player is. But, yeah outright taking the action of blocking someone should forcefully remove their ability to follow you.