WvW Performance and Map Cap Testing

Cal Cohen.2358

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Anchoku.8142 said:What has changed in the code to create such problems with lag?

Considering that there hasn't been any announced performance and optimization passes to the new skills and traits introduced and old skills modified since the last time they've done it (after HoT), one could say everything's changed.

Perhaps; there could have been server hardware and/or network connection changes, too. Cost reductions, including traffic prioritization changes could have happened. It would be a shame if a cost-saving choice resulted in reduced performance but it has been known to happen.

You're right. There were those changes too when they moved to Amazon servers. I'm pretty sure they moved some time after the last major look at optimization. It's good they're looking into this again.

In short the game almost unplayable now in WvW, everytime I meet zerg it's always skill lag so bad, VPN not helping and anet didn't do shit about this D:

@SLOTH.5231 said:We should be getting pips while we wait in que.

You can get them in OS while waiting in queue, if you didn't already know, just putting it out there. I don't think pips going down while waiting in queue will be wanted by many people though - some of them have hour long queues by which their participation will have gone to 0.

• 3 weeks later...

@DKRathalos.9625 said:

@Anchoku.8142 said:What has changed in the code to create such problems with lag?

Considering that there hasn't been any announced performance and optimization passes to the new skills and traits introduced and old skills modified since the last time they've done it (after HoT), one could say everything's changed.

Perhaps; there could have been server hardware and/or network connection changes, too. Cost reductions, including traffic prioritization changes could have happened. It would be a shame if a cost-saving choice resulted in reduced performance but it has been known to happen.

You're right. There were those changes too when they moved to Amazon servers. I'm pretty sure they moved some time after the last major look at optimization. It's good they're looking into this again.

In short the game almost unplayable now in WvW, everytime I meet zerg it's always skill lag so bad, VPN not helping and anet didn't do kitten about this D:

This is not optimization, is balance, they reduce in WvW to grow in PVE or EVENT servers, without need increase server capacity, every thing is about money, cost reduction

Once again we are punished in the game, the rewards do not support a player character exclusively from wvw, in PVE and PVP you support your character with what you receive as a prize, in WVW no. We still have terrible server quality, absurd lag yesterday I saw the ping jump from 126ms to 2100ms only with the arrival of the prime time of the servers. This was for me in brazil, for guild members in california, texas and north carolina. So it is not my route but server capacity vs cost.

I have a suggestion, stop the linkingLinking = zone blobs, and not only is this unfair to unlinked servers, but first thing that happens is bandwagoning to the hosted server which increases the number of wvw players, and immediately you have full zone blobs for 4-6 hours in prime time. How on earth can you then decipher the next linking? unlinked servers from previous MU's end up getting linked with the worst of the servers, and those top T1 get linked with T2 servers, its an unfair system, and all linking should be stopped while you do you're investigations, and that will give a more accurate idea of which individual servers need attention.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@DemonSeed.3528 said:It's time to chime in again and put in a reminder about server performance - it is still dismal, especially in some tiers on both NA/EU

I'll admit, not sure what caused it but, this year input delay is new to me... This coming from pve player. Although if they really are using amazon servers. They did have a server wide issue 2days ago. Might have been the climax of a issue that was creeping up on them

Just an odd thought for performance issues and latency. Obviously, some issues are going to be beyond Arenanet's control: operating system, hardware, graphics card, and local connections through the internet. Has there been thoughts in pairing people with similar performance ratings together? For instance best performance can log onto one server group, then 2nd tier, 3rd tier, etc? That should at least help synchronize the speed between players to some degree which might provide some solutions.

@Malavian.4695 said:Just an odd thought for performance issues and latency. Obviously, some issues are going to be beyond Arenanet's control: operating system, hardware, graphics card, and local connections through the internet. Has there been thoughts in pairing people with similar performance ratings together? For instance best performance can log onto one server group, then 2nd tier, 3rd tier, etc? That should at least help synchronize the speed between players to some degree which might provide some solutions.

The first thing that comes to mind from this suggestion is that it will split up every single guild and people from their friends/family lol.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@Malavian.4695 said:Just an odd thought for performance issues and latency. Obviously, some issues are going to be beyond Arenanet's control: operating system, hardware, graphics card, and local connections through the internet. Has there been thoughts in pairing people with similar performance ratings together? For instance best performance can log onto one server group, then 2nd tier, 3rd tier, etc? That should at least help synchronize the speed between players to some degree which might provide some solutions.

The first thing that comes to mind from this suggestion is that it will split up every single guild and people from their friends/family lol.

Local play servers and worldwide servers??? Maybe, lol.Most likely... It is that the world's cabling of internet infrastructure was not beefy enough for the whole world to be on it 15+hrs of the day.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

Myeh...a low performance friend in WvW is just a rally bag. If they can't dance...then they're no friend of mine.

@"DemonSeed.3528" said:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1387838/#Comment_1387838An update I guess, not sure if it helps anything on our side of the game, though hopefully they are all related.

That IS good news....

Although it further strengthens the thought that it takes it breaking something in PvE world to see any change for WvW.

• 1 month later...

At this point I have to agree that lag is bad. I “never” lag out. I have a gaming machine, 750 mbps fibre. Basically I have felt immune to these lag complaints forever... until now. Last night I lagged out twice and had to restart the game. I’ve been getting intermittent lag over the last week. This truly needs to be fixed.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:At this point I have to agree that lag is bad. I “never” lag out. I have a gaming machine, 750 mbps fibre. Basically I have felt immune to these lag complaints forever... until now. Last night I lagged out twice and had to restart the game. I’ve been getting intermittent lag over the last week. This truly needs to be fixed.

oh hey good news

they "fixed" it

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:At this point I have to agree that lag is bad. I “never” lag out. I have a gaming machine, 750 mbps fibre. Basically I have felt immune to these lag complaints forever... until now. Last night I lagged out twice and had to restart the game. I’ve been getting intermittent lag over the last week. This truly needs to be fixed.

oh hey good news

they "fixed" it

They deleted the game???? ?