Legendary Runes & Sigils: Help me understand the value (or problems)

Adzekul.3104

So I am working towards building as much legendary utility/flexibility as possible in my account before the Legendary Armoury goes live. My thinking (wish?) is that this gives me maximum flexibility for gearing, especially when balance patches arrive and the meta changes (PvE and WvW mostly).

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that the Legendary Armoury delivers what we all hope it delivers, and that any legendary weapon or trinket or rune or sigil or armour set can be used across all characters (provided their class/spec allows them to use it, of course).

With this in mind, I already have full sets of heavy, medium and light legendary armour, most of the weapons (singles only) and all but one of the trinkets. But I have not invested in legendary runes & sigils, basically, because I do not see/understand the functional/QoL benefit.1) Is there anyone who can explain the benefits in simple enough terms?2) Does it even make sense that a full set of 7 legendary runes (head, shoulders, chest, hands, legs, feet and UW breather) and 8 legendary sigils (MH, OH and UW MH + UW OH) will be enough for a GW2 account?3) Or does it make more sense to have 6 runes (6 legendary + 1 exotic per armour set)?4) Does it make sense to assume/wish for the case that 8 legendary sigils plus a full set of legendary weapons (for my character class) will allow 1 character to have maximum flexibility (assuming I have enough build loadouts unlocked)? Or is this a fallacy?

Very interested in constructive discussion, undertanding that we do not know everything yet about how the Legendary Armoury will work. Maybe I should make 2 separate cases:1) How do things work now, pre Legendary Armoury?2) How do we hope/expect/predict they will work post Legendary Armoury?

Kind regards and thanks in advance for all useful posts.

@"Adzekul.3104" said:With this in mind, I already have full sets of heavy, medium and light legendary armour, most of the weapons (singles only) and all but one of the trinkets. But I have not invested in legendary runes & sigils, basically, because I do not see/understand the functional/QoL benefit.1) Is there anyone who can explain the benefits in simple enough terms?

There is no value at the moment, especially if you already have legendary armor+weapons as you can freely retrieve runes and sigils (just keep the useful ones in your inventory to switch if needed).

People who go for it are usually aiming for "full" legendary set but not really for convenience.

As for Legendary Armory, like @Friday.7864 said, we don't really have information...

A good point above: that right now it seems to make no sense. This is the feeling I have. I care more for convenience/flexibility/QoL than for "I want to fully maximize all possible purple gear options".

But surely they will have to find a way to make it useful/attractive, yes? Or is the point that they expect people to either get legendary armour OR legendary runes (and by the same logic: legendary weapons OR legendary sigils)?

I have given my wishes/expectation in the appropriate thread already.

Honestly, Legendary Runes and Sigils are a huge waste of money in my opinion, especially if you already have legendary armor. At the cost of 6,000+ Gold to get all 7 runes and 8 Sigils It'd realistically just be better to get the regular sigils and runes you want for each build template, It's less time consuming and a hell of a lot cheaper.

The only real benefit you get for them is them not taking up space in your Inventory/Bank as well as not having to replace them when you want to change, They are not worth the cost.My hope with the armory update is that you would only need to bind 1 sigil and 1 rune to unlock all slots otherwise they will just remain pretty useless.

The benefit of having the legendary runes and sigils is that you will now have access to every one that currently exists or will at some point will exist. At once the legendary armory is out it won’t jus the for that one character, it will be for every character you will ever have. So at least at that point it becomes a huge benefit, especially if across a few characters each of them have multiple builds. Having runes and sigils for all those different situations can slowly end up taking over a lot of inventory space.

Especially when these first came out, the runes and sigils seemed mostly for completions sake. Everyone who had the runes they needed for that they were doing already had them for all the builds needed.

IMO, at least at this point in the game, the underwater gear isn’t nearly as important, so keeping those as ascended/exotics with their own dedicated runes is more than enough. That can reduce the grind a bit to 6 runes and 4 sigils.

@Solanum.6983 said:Honestly, Legendary Runes and Sigils are a huge waste of money in my opinion, especially if you already have legendary armor. At the cost of 6,000+ Gold to get all 7 runes and 8 Sigils It'd realistically just be better to get the regular sigils and runes you want for each build template, It's less time consuming and a hell of a lot cheaper.

The only real benefit you get for them is them not taking up space in your Inventory/Bank as well as not having to replace them when you want to change, They are not worth the cost.My hope with the armory update is that you would only need to bind 1 sigil and 1 rune to unlock all slots otherwise they will just remain pretty useless.

Wont happen if you want full set of legendary runes its 6+1 if you want underwater as well and 2 sigils.

• 1 month later...