The Icebrood Saga: Champions - [Merged]

Fire Attunement.9835

@suialthor.7164 said:

@suialthor.7164 said:With the new masteries, could you avoid mastery points behind gold sinks (such as in No Quarter). To clarify, gold sink achievements are fine but should not be associated with mastery points.

Unless you’re a completionist, you don’t need to do any of the achievements that require you to spend a lot of gold. There are also enough excess mastery points which allow you to skip them as well.

The last few chapters have felt a little low on the options for mastery points . By not locking it behind gold we are helping new players. Helping new players helps the community.

BTW if I say its okay to have them without mastery points then being a completionist isn't the issue. I thought that would have been obvious with the clarification but perhaps I need to say it even more bluntly.

The mastery points are season saga wide. There are more than enough available from previous episodes to not require spending gold. This excess number of mastery points is likely to increase with further episodes chapters such as the ones mentioned in the announcement. .

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvP lmao. As if that last minuscule balance patch, that came after 14-15 weeks, was not an indication of Anet attention to PvP. I do not expect more than 4-5 balance patches from here till the fall of next year. And these patches will be relatively small, and mostly of no significance. And then we will have the next expansion, assuming no delays.

According to the blogpost the roadmap is only for LS and festivals, so even if other things are planned, they won't be included in the roadmap.

Since our work in Cantha is top secret for now, today we’re sharing a high-level look at our Living World and festival release plans for every month from November 2020 through May 2021.

@Randulf.7614 said:Well it's communication at last. This chapter system is just making things needlessly messy though.

Why are they chapter now, not episodes? Is this LS6? What's the explanation? Have you ditched LS5 without really exploring the story in further depth? Are we still getting maps? What happened to Visions of the Past?

Northern Shiverpeaks is ripe for exploration and hope we will be exploring most of it. Please don't waste the chance

Yeah, maps is my main concern too. Exploring new places and uncovering more of the world is easily my favorite thing to do, I'll be incredibly sad if we don't see more of the north with this story, and if we have to wait until after May to see any new maps (if not here we'll have to wait for the next expansion to explore again?!). Fortunately anet seems to value exploration as well and they know how much it matters, so I imagine the world map will be expanded in some way. If not new maps, maybe extensions to old ones (didn't they mention this idea? but they haven't done it).

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:What I'm confused about is how people are confused about the Chapters. It is clearly the "finale" of Icebrood Saga set up in multiple parts. Very much like Bjora and Drizzlewood were.

Yeah this is just Icebrood Saga episodes 5, 6, 7, and 8. They're labeled in such a way as to closely link them is all, because apparently they'll go together more closely than the average living world episode. Who knows what the story will be, but we already know they will be linked together by the new dragon minion missions thing

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@suialthor.7164 said:With the new masteries, could you avoid mastery points behind gold sinks (such as in No Quarter). To clarify, gold sink achievements are fine but should not be associated with mastery points.

Unless you’re a completionist, you don’t need to do any of the achievements that require you to spend a lot of gold. There are also enough excess mastery points which allow you to skip them as well.

The last few chapters have felt a little low on the options for mastery points . By not locking it behind gold we are helping new players. Helping new players helps the community.

BTW if I say its okay to have them without mastery points then being a completionist isn't the issue. I thought that would have been obvious with the clarification but perhaps I need to say it even more bluntly.

The mastery points are
season
saga wide. There are more than enough available from previous episodes to not require spending gold. This excess number of mastery points is likely to increase with further
episodes
chapters such as the ones mentioned in the announcement. .

And compared to previous expansions/seasons we still have fewer extra, meaning we have fewer choices. Perhaps the next part of the saga will rain down mastery points but it doesn't change how it was when they were released separately. Something I would prefer they not repeat. Most of us have professions leveled and can spend the gold without an issue other than crafting stuff we'll probably never use. Having them be so wasteful is not good for newer players since it greatly limits their remaining choices. Player retention should be important. Players shouldn't be encouraged to buy gold as a means of character progression (mastery points is a form of character progression).

Obviously you don't care if it is wasteful or discouraging for newer players. You think one extra point or maybe 2 each chapter is the equivalent of tons of choices. However, I would like for newer players to not see such wastefulness associated with gameplay progression. Let the gold sink achievements give other stuff. Let the mastery achievements be less wasteful.

Hmm, cynically, I wonder if this means no new maps for the rest of the saga and some wave defense missions scattered throughout core Tyria, with some sign fixing style content added every week or two.

Time will tell, of course, but I'm a little wary of this apparent change of direction.

I just hope that the new rewards and weapon sets they mention aren't just there as hard gold and material sinks.

@"Pifil.5193" said:Hmm, cynically, I wonder if this means no new maps for the rest of the saga and some wave defense missions scattered throughout core Tyria, with some sign fixing style content added every week or two.

Time will tell, of course, but I'm a little wary of this apparent change of direction.

I just hope that the new rewards and weapon sets they mention aren't just there as hard gold and material sinks.

I don't think this signals the kind of functional change in direction you're suggesting so much as creating a clearer delineation between narrative arcs. With the last episode serving almost as a "mid-season finale" (complete with an epilogue and additional dialogue to transition to the next episode), I would view the changes to the episode naming and numbering as a way to distinguish between season 5a and 5b. You could also see it like how ATLA ended its final season with a 4-part finale. Each of those episodes stands on its own, but tell a connected story that could almost be seen as one extended, concluding arc. I could be wrong, but it just strikes me more as a way to get players to understand that these episodes are more connected, tell a different story, and offer their own types of new content.

That being said, I still expect these releases to include new maps, whether in parts or all at once like Bound by Blood gave us.

@Underdark.3726 said:So no more strike missions? pity.I was hoping for more Strikes and more Eye of the North rewards. An ascended set of runic armor plus a legendary set would have been great. Also another vision of the past update, ie, battle for Lion’s Arch would have been a great addition to the scrying pool! Loved that battle.

Disappointing announcement. Look Portals open in Tyria. Look newest enemies exit portal. Look we kill the enemies with allies. Look portal closed.

If that's all you got and there are no new maps, I'm taking a break until the expansion. Ross we are on a break! no Gems for you.