Why can soulbeasts take all my health in one second?

aaron.7850

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Every soulbeast I've met that is an actual fighting threat beyond "well he surprised me this time" is one that doesnt have alot of damage. The glassier the soulbeast is, the easier they are to fight because they become sooooo predictable with their longbow pewpew sequences you can pretty much reach them without taking damage.

These days when roaming I always bring a longbow. Not because it's especially great at plucking people for damage (too much projectile hate in this game on top of normal defenses), but by opening with longbow skills the opponent might suspect a free kill playing on a cheese build and/or pop defenses before I actually start using my toolbar.Then I prove them only half right be switching to axe/axe, pulling them in, rooting them and then 100->0'ing them with whirling defense.In group scenarios I might actually use a greatsword, but the benefit I enjoy from people thinking I'm a bearbow/free bag is too much to pass up.

It's still cheese on a power build with very few cleanses though. Once in a while I'll run into someone who's actually good at the game, fail to land the combo and then go ¯\(ツ)/¯ guess I'll die since axe has no mobility and the rest of the skills are projectiles.

I think a lot of ranger players feel they have to play at range, since it's kind of in the name. The profession doesn't even have access to ranged guns. As for the thread... Piccolo said it best.

~ Kovu

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@"aaron.7850" said:Every video linked here is 2-4 years old, mesmers and thieves can no longer one shot.

Not..they're not...
check the date of the videos, all from 2020 post Feb patch

0:28, he sees a full-glass Dragonhunter trying to stomp without any Stability or Aegis, well within Head Shot range, but he just lets his team mate eat dirt instead of just interrupting the stomp and killing the guard with a few quick Heartseekers. :cry:

Soulbeast has the same issue thief does where there are a few facets such as ranged/OOC on-demand stealth and large mobility with very safe burst potential that make the class really oppressive when it's played at its strongest while having a really low bar for its success when played by less-skilled players. RF's initial burst is easy to negate, but it does create a resource deficit for the dodging player given it takes two dodge rolls to negate it, and following up with SA/Maul->Unmerge->Smoke->Swap->Leap->WI->Maul->PBS->RF isn't a difficult nor risky rotation for what is a seriously huge amount of damage relative to most other professions.

I would still say it's the best roaming class in the game, and the one with the lowest barrier of entry to play glassy on, though the aforementioned performance is not via the same build, and eking out its maximum is more difficult than say, reaching the upper limits on core necro or even holo. However, the glassy options it does have are extremely easy and moreover extremely safe with great gank presence (looking at DE and D/P ASignet thief historically); without a build dedicated to handling it, it's nigh impossible to deal with if it's played well, especially when there are multiple enemies, which amps its safety up dramatically, and where OWP and multiple soulbeasts really makes for a bad day. There's a reason Mag runs primarily soulbeasts as its cloud DPS; it's easy to create downs with, innately pretty tanky, and very, very safe.

As for Sic 'Em, there's really no reason to defend the ranger having this skill. The only skill ever competing for such a massive increase in damage on multiple hits was Assassin's Signet, at 5 strikes, with only 15%, which was also nerfed, along with all the % damage mod skills on thief in its DPS builds for being too strong. Ranged reveal on top of it makes the skill do too much, even if it's not ideal on the top-end of skilled play. If its primary application was on something riskier like D/D thief which has no mobility/disengage and no follow-through, I'd be fine with it, but it just seems to raise the lowest level of players and give them so much impact on a fight for no real reason at all.

I'm going to assume he hasn't fought a lot of ranger's in WvW, so he's not prepared to fight against another real player in WvW. Don't be touching my ranger's any more with any more nerfs. Anet scaled DOWN our damage so I don't know what his problem is, beyond that they weren't ready for a Glass Cannon Ranger. Lot of the true glass cannons are running the new Legendary Bow, and thematically they put out a pretty good punch. And they're not even using rapid fire. They're using single shot. Which goes to tell you just how glass they are.