Can we please buff Mesmer Staff? Its the worst weapon on our kit.

aaron.7850

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:In PvP and WvW staff phantasm has to be a top 5 worst weapon skill in the entire game. Thing literally does like 50 damage when it should be the weapon kit's heavy hitter.

Staff 3 as it is right now, is arguably the WORST Phant skill in the game. It's only purpose is to generate a clone on delay. Biased much CMC?

Oh it's 100% the worst phantasm. But it actually might be the single worst weapon skill across literally all the professions. No damage, no survivability, barely any utility, its basically JUST a clone generator and it takes like 7 seconds to get that clone.

It does nothing. It's very weird.

Holosmith: it only does everything.

Mesmer: It only does nothing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:In PvP and WvW staff phantasm has to be a top 5 worst weapon skill in the entire game. Thing literally does like 50 damage when it should be the weapon kit's heavy hitter.

Staff 3 as it is right now, is arguably the WORST Phant skill in the game. It's only purpose is to generate a clone on delay. Biased much CMC?

Oh it's 100% the worst phantasm. But it actually might be the single worst weapon skill across literally all the professions. No damage, no survivability, barely any utility, its basically JUST a clone generator and it takes like 7 seconds to get that clone.

It does nothing. It's very weird.

Holosmith: it only does everything.

Mesmer: It only does nothing.

We should make this our 2020 Slogan :D

Did I just /thread this on accident? :lol:

• 2 months later...

I like staff identity as a very hybrid defense-power-condi-weapon, it has always been very fun to play even on power. However, I will admit that staff has a bit of a tendency to carry bad Mesmers in duels when it is strong.

1. All skills on the staff are quite good except for Phantasmal Warlock. I suggest to give it a melee-range pbaoe around the Mesmer with some effect (maybe something like "Deal X damage and heal yourself. If you hit an opponent, deal 10% more damage per condition on your foe"). Unlike scepter, staff is meant to have some aoe capabilities but at the moment it lacks in this area. This introduces a bit of opportunity and risk-reward to the weapon.
  2. I'm not sure how to change the phantasm itself, but it needs to have a quicker and more satisfying animation that feels impactful to land but can also be dodged (phantasmal berserker is obviously the gold standard). Maybe make it a bouncing projectile that bounces 3 times and applies vuln to its target and fury/might to allies (or even cleanse). Again due to how bouncing attacks works, this would make it slightly more rewarding to be close to your opponent, which introduces risk-reward.
  3. Another option in the same vein as (1) and (2) would be to make it a pbaoe immobilize with a good winup animation, which introduces some fun combos like (Staff 3 immob -> Chaos Storm -> Swap Weapon -> Axe 2). In that case, maybe make the Phantasm run onto your target and cast a pbaoe around itself, which would combine well with the immobilize (or f2 cripple, etc).
  4. If possible, reduce clone autoattack damage to near-zero (just as power weapon clones). This is the primary thing that at times make staff Mesmers annoying and unfun to fight.
  5. If this Phantasmal Warlock rework is not enough then change Chaos Armor from "Apply a random condition to nearby foes and gain chaos aura" to "Apply blind to nearby foes and gain chaos aura". Remember, Chaos aura itself used to apply blind until 2016 so this would fit its theme.

I really love the staff but it's too hard to justify to even equip it sometimes apart from aesthetics. However, If I wanted to make changes to the staff I would:Add 2 more abilities to Staff Skill 1, just like what maybe the Staff Guardian has OR I'd have Winds of Chaos inflict an additional condition such as confusion.

Phase Retreat I wouldn't change, however, I would probably add Chaos Armor to it.

Phantasmal Warlock I would change so that it's more of a condition phantasm that dishes out a lot or has some sort of CC tied to it.

Chaos Armor I would move it to Phase Retreat OR have it as a trait where everytime you use a staff skill (minus Winds of Chaos) you gain Chaos Armor, but would probably be strong since it would have a high uptime if this happened. With this done, this gives us the chance to create a new staff skill 4.

Lastly, Chaos Storm. I love it but hate the cooldown, so that needs to be reduced to at least 24sec.

Other than that, Staff I would prefer being a condition focused weapon with the additional minor boons attached to it for "support".

@"Quadox.7834" said:I like staff identity as a very hybrid defense-power-condi-weapon, it has always been very fun to play even on power. However, I will admit that staff has a bit of a tendency to carry bad Mesmers in duels when it is strong.

1. All skills on the staff are quite good except for Phantasmal Warlock. I suggest to give it a melee-range pbaoe around the Mesmer with some effect (maybe something like "Deal X damage and heal yourself. If you hit an opponent, deal 10% more damage per condition on your foe"). Unlike scepter, staff is meant to have some aoe capabilities but at the moment it lacks in this area. This introduces a bit of opportunity and risk-reward to the weapon.
  2. I'm not sure how to change the phantasm itself, but it needs to have a quicker and more satisfying animation that feels impactful to land but can also be dodged (phantasmal berserker is obviously the gold standard). Maybe make it a bouncing projectile that bounces 3 times and applies vuln to its target and fury/might to allies (or even cleanse). Again due to how bouncing attacks works, this would make it slightly more rewarding to be close to your opponent, which introduces risk-reward.
  3. Another option in the same vein as (1) and (2) would be to make it a pbaoe immobilize with a good winup animation, which introduces some fun combos like (Staff 3 immob -> Chaos Storm -> Swap Weapon -> Axe 2). In that case, maybe make the Phantasm run onto your target and cast a pbaoe around itself, which would combine well with the immobilize (or f2 cripple, etc).
  4. If possible, reduce clone autoattack damage to near-zero (just as power weapon clones). This is the primary thing that at times make staff Mesmers annoying and unfun to fight.
  5. If this Phantasmal Warlock rework is not enough then change Chaos Armor from "Apply a random condition to nearby foes and gain chaos aura" to "Apply blind to nearby foes and gain chaos aura". Remember, Chaos aura itself used to apply blind until 2016 so this would fit its theme.

most staff skills are throw away abilities, you cant time autos with enemy dodges since they are slow, you can spam 2 off cooldown to create distance and a clone and thats enough value from the skill, 3 is useless so you just use it as cannon fodder, 4 is irrelevant since 5+2 gives you aura anyways and since mirage is the only semi viable thing you also have jaunt for chaos aura, and then you have 5 that even if you miss you still get boons so no big deal.The only real thing staff has is abusing 2+shatter bug and abusing 2 up the ledges to escape all the non-tele classes, everything else is absolute throw away with no real timing required.

@"Quadox.7834" said:I like staff identity as a very hybrid defense-power-condi-weapon, it has always been very fun to play even on power. However, I will admit that staff has a bit of a tendency to carry bad Mesmers in duels when it is strong.

I like this idea. Fitting and to the point. Doesnt seem over the top.

@"Tseison.4659" said:I really love the staff but it's too hard to justify to even equip it sometimes apart from aesthetics. However, If I wanted to make changes to the staff I would:Add 2 more abilities to Staff Skill 1, just like what maybe the Staff Guardian has OR I'd have Winds of Chaos inflict an additional condition such as confusion.

Phase Retreat I wouldn't change, however, I would probably add Chaos Armor to it.

Phantasmal Warlock I would change so that it's more of a condition phantasm that dishes out a lot or has some sort of CC tied to it.

Chaos Armor I would move it to Phase Retreat OR have it as a trait where everytime you use a staff skill (minus Winds of Chaos) you gain Chaos Armor, but would probably be strong since it would have a high uptime if this happened. With this done, this gives us the chance to create a new staff skill 4.

Lastly, Chaos Storm. I love it but hate the cooldown, so that needs to be reduced to at least 24sec.

Other than that, Staff I would prefer being a condition focused weapon with the additional minor boons attached to it for "support".

I like all of these ideas, they all seem small, but would it be too much for the weapon overall?

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@"Tseison.4659" said:I really love the staff but it's too hard to justify to even equip it sometimes apart from aesthetics. However, If I wanted to make changes to the staff I would:Add 2 more abilities to
Staff Skill 1
, just like what maybe the Staff Guardian has OR I'd have Winds of Chaos inflict an additional condition such as confusion.

Phase Retreat
I wouldn't change, however, I would probably add Chaos Armor to it.

Phantasmal Warlock
I would change so that it's more of a condition phantasm that dishes out a lot or has some sort of CC tied to it.

Chaos Armor
I would move it to Phase Retreat OR have it as a trait where everytime you use a staff skill (minus Winds of Chaos) you gain Chaos Armor, but would probably be strong since it would have a high uptime if this happened. With this done, this gives us the chance to create a new staff skill 4.

Lastly,
Chaos Storm
. I love it but hate the cooldown, so that needs to be reduced to at least 24sec.

I like all of these ideas, they all seem small, but would it be too much for the weapon overall?

To be honest, if I had to pick and choose what I’d ideally want the most would be:Move chaos armor into Phase Retreat, reduce Chaos Storms cooldown atleast for PVE and create a new Staff 4 skill.

I still think staff should be more confusion/condition focused because right now it doesn’t have much of an identity or use that’s worthwhile. I’d like for it to be atleast on par to the greatsword but the condition equivalent.

@Tseison.4659 said:

@Tseison.4659 said:I really love the staff but it's too hard to justify to even equip it sometimes apart from aesthetics. However, If I wanted to make changes to the staff I would:Add 2 more abilities to
Staff Skill 1
, just like what maybe the Staff Guardian has OR I'd have Winds of Chaos inflict an additional condition such as confusion.

Phase Retreat

Phantasmal Warlock
I would change so that it's more of a condition phantasm that dishes out a lot or has some sort of CC tied to it.

Chaos Armor
I would move it to Phase Retreat OR have it as a trait where everytime you use a staff skill (minus Winds of Chaos) you gain Chaos Armor, but would probably be strong since it would have a high uptime if this happened. With this done, this gives us the chance to create a new staff skill 4.

Lastly,
Chaos Storm
. I love it but hate the cooldown, so that needs to be reduced to at least 24sec.

To be honest, if I had to pick and choose what I’d ideally want the most would be:Move chaos armor into Phase Retreat, reduce Chaos Storms cooldown atleast for PVE and create a new Staff 4 skill.

I still think staff should be more confusion/condition focused because right now it doesn’t have much of an identity or use that’s worthwhile. I’d like for it to be atleast on par to the greatsword but the condition equivalent.

Same, I wanted 4 merged with 2 for a while now, and in turn increase its cooldown to something like ~ 20s, maybe give it swiftness to somewhat compensate mobility loss, buff warlock damage, maybe last tick so its easy to dodge, and add new 4 skill that is worth using

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Tseison.4659 said:I really love the staff but it's too hard to justify to even equip it sometimes apart from aesthetics. However, If I wanted to make changes to the staff I would:Add 2 more abilities to
Staff Skill 1

Phase Retreat

Phantasmal Warlock

Chaos Armor

Lastly,
Chaos Storm

Same, I wanted 4 merged with 2 for a while now, and in turn increase its cooldown to something like ~ 20s, maybe give it swiftness to somewhat compensate mobility loss, buff warlock damage, maybe last tick so its easy to dodge, and add new 4 skill that is worth using

Totally agree with you; not sure why Warlock is a damage phantasmal and not a condition one but meh.... Like, I don't mind short boon durations for some/all of the staff skills like 2-3sec or something, but would like 1200 range and strong condition focused staff skills.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

Staff Skill 1

Phase Retreat

Phantasmal Warlock

Chaos Armor

Lastly,
Chaos Storm

Why would you want to do that? Phase retreat is by far the most fun aspect of staff. Staff 4 is already mostly fine. This would kill the weapon (in terms of fun).

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@"Tseison.4659" said:I really love the staff but it's too hard to justify to even equip it sometimes apart from aesthetics. However, If I wanted to make changes to the staff I would:Add 2 more abilities to
Staff Skill 1

Phase Retreat

Phantasmal Warlock

Chaos Armor

Lastly,
Chaos Storm

Yep chaos armor on staff 2 would be way too much.

@Quadox.7834 said:

Staff Skill 1

Phase Retreat

Phantasmal Warlock

Chaos Armor

Lastly,
Chaos Storm

Well to each their own; at the end of the day, staff is gonna remain the same, useless and I wouldn’t expect much to any change at all when the new expansion comes.

But hey, you play however you want to...

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

most staff skills are throw away abilities, you cant time autos with enemy dodges since they are slow, you can spam 2 off cooldown to create distance and a clone and thats enough value from the skill, 3 is useless so you just use it as cannon fodder, 4 is irrelevant since 5+2 gives you aura anyways and since mirage is the only semi viable thing you also have jaunt for chaos aura, and then you have 5 that even if you miss you still get boons so no big deal.The only real thing staff has is abusing 2+shatter bug and abusing 2 up the ledges to escape all the non-tele classes, everything else is absolute throw away with no real timing required.

1. People don't really time autos with dodges in general, not staff specific.
  2. You are right that phase retreat can be used off cd to create a clone but often it is more optimal to time to avoid something or kite (which is a good thing) - it is most certainly not a noskill throwaway ability.
  3. Staff 3 i completely agree, this is the biggest problem of staff which is why I suggested a melee skill, which would introduce risk to the weapon. It needs to be impactful enough so that it feels worth to hit (torch 5 pbaoe is a great example).
  4. Chaos armor certainly not difficult to use but it is not fire-and-forget, I definitely feel the weakness and prot make a difference when used correctly. That said, if they want they could add a flip skill just like they did to ele auras https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aura#Transmute_auras - "Transmute Chaos".
  5. Disagree, the chaos aura interrupt matters, this skill can certainly be used incorrectly. In general don't have much of a problem with this skill, however, and this is just a personal thing, I would prefer if it was more of a reliable poison source, for example if it had a reliable order Daze -> Poison -> Weakness -> Chill.

@Tseison.4659 said:

Staff Skill 1

Phase Retreat

Phantasmal Warlock

Chaos Armor

Lastly,
Chaos Storm

Well to each their own; at the end of the day, staff is gonna remain the same, useless and I wouldn’t expect much to any change at all when the new expansion comes.

But hey, you play however you want to...

Thanks, I do indeed - and I certainly don't use staff.

@Tseison.4659 said:

Staff Skill 1

Phase Retreat

Phantasmal Warlock

Chaos Armor

Lastly,
Chaos Storm

Maybe make phantasms apply 3-4 confusion when they deal damage. That would be nice. PvE at least.

@otto.5684 said:

Staff Skill 1

Phase Retreat

Phantasmal Warlock

Chaos Armor

Lastly,
Chaos Storm

Maybe make phantasms apply 3-4 confusion when they deal damage. That would be nice. PvE at least.

Yeah PVE that would be nice and then obviously when it comes to PVP/WVW the durations would be cut down because you know how people complain about Mesmers and then we immediately get another nerf. Like literally at this point, the class is going extinct and it’s not even funny...

I would be really thrilled if the made the simple following changes:

1. Increase projectile speed and chain of autoattack some.
  2. Reduce CD on 4 by 10 seconds
  3. Reduce CD on 5 by 10 seconds
  4. Phantasm reworked to a Condi or some kind of utility, random boon pulse in keeping with Chaos/staff theme

Literally only have to redo number 3, I think everything else would work fine just by tweaking numbers of the skills already present.

@Opopanax.1803 said:I would be really thrilled if the made the simple following changes:

4. Phantasm reworked to a Condi or some kind of utility, random boon pulse in keeping with Chaos/staff theme

Literally only have to redo number 3, I think everything else would work fine just by tweaking numbers of the skills already present.

I veto the cd decrease on 4 and 5, expecially 5.having permanent passive shield that rng rolls random debuffs on enemies is stupid, rework it to something stronger that lasts shorter time, 5 is a strong skill and needs no buffing, agree with staff auto speed, and maybe dps increase too, both condi and power, but make clones deal 50% less dmg with condi. 3 sucks and needs rework/massive buff

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Opopanax.1803 said:I would be really thrilled if the made the simple following changes:

I veto the cd decrease on 4 and 5, expecially 5.having permanent passive shield that rng rolls random debuffs on enemies is stupid, rework it to something stronger that lasts shorter time, 5 is a strong skill and needs no buffing, agree with staff auto speed, and maybe dps increase too, both condi and power, but make clones deal 50% less dmg with condi. 3 sucks and needs rework/massive buff

5 needs no buffing?! Lmao!! Anyway kitten ways. I’m gonna agree with the top comment that it should have its CD reduced. In places like PVP/WVW, it’s easy to step out of and barely phases an enemy.

And the CD reduction for PVE especially is definitely a must. I swear some people just love to see the Mesmer suffer into the ground until the class’ entirety is extinct/unplayable.

Staff 4 just needs to have guaranteed "apply all three condi (weakness, cripple and confusion)" on cast.

Save the rng nonsense for taking subsequent hits while aura is active. Initial cast should not be rng "oh I might get weakness or I might not"...

Edit - I'd also take Quadox's suggestion for initial Blind on cast. Anything that gives it a clutch defense potential rather than purely luck based pseudo-passive effects.

@"Curunen.8729" said:Staff 4 just needs to have guaranteed "apply all three condi (weakness, cripple and confusion)" on cast.

Save the rng nonsense for taking subsequent hits while aura is active. Initial cast should not be rng "oh I might get weakness or I might not"...

Edit - I'd also take Quadox's suggestion for initial Blind on cast. Anything that gives it a clutch defense potential rather than purely luck based pseudo-passive effects.

Yep It used to give prot on cast and random blinds instead of weakness, core mes really needed this to deal with thief. Give me blind on Staff 4 activation and pbaoe on Staff 3 and I'm happy. Been playing some classic staff/gs power shatter today and it is surprisingly fun actually.

@Quadox.7834 said:

@"Curunen.8729" said:Staff 4 just needs to have guaranteed "apply all three condi (weakness, cripple and confusion)" on cast.

Yep It used to give prot on cast and random blinds instead of weakness, core mes really needed this to deal with thief. Give me blind on Staff 4 activation and pbaoe on Staff 3 and I'm happy. Been playing some classic staff/gs power shatter today and it is surprisingly fun actually.

I remember the rng blind but that was too strong (nevermind when there was no icd). Heh on that note can you imagine how much whine there would be if that version existed now.

I like the idea of a tribute to that, also having symmetry with the new chaos storm design having initial daze, to have the initial guaranteed blind on cast.

Could have a lot of flexible applications, even safe stomp/res to preserve other tools.

I'd like 3 phantasm to cast faster - takes kitten ages with that beam so can't even get quick clone for shatter if desired. Maybe change it so the player's cast animation does an attack to apply the vulnerability, and the phantasm does the follow up with straight damage/condi application? Kind of one-two punch combo between player and phantasm.