Awkwardness has little to do with suicide prevention.

keenedge.9675

I saw that the potion was offered as a nod to the suicide prevention week campaign elsewhere. Awkwardness does not imply suicidal tendencies. In my experience playing this and other MMOs, there are many mature people playing this and other games that will quietly counsel people who seem 'at risk' when chatting.

But just like shouting 'Reeeee', 'Social Awkwardness' in fractals, or shouting 'Derp', the potion makes light of people with mental issues. These people are not suicidal, they just have different limitations and tolerances to what society considers 'normal' minor conflict and 'banter'. They are all offensive. (ask a mental help professional)

I hope the potion will age out of the Gem Store soon so that I can once again see the '!' indication for pick-up again.

This again..?Why are you so keen on hating this? You're not even trying to understand. Never was it even implied that awkwardness had something to do with those tendencies. What we know for a fact though, is that people who are awkward have trouble reaching out whenever they need help, especially when they are feeling really bad. That's the whole point.

Awkwardness does not imply suicidal tendencies.Good thing that absolutely no one involved in the campaign has said that.

The idea is that it's difficult for some people to know what to say when they see a friend or buddy or acquaintance out-of-sorts. Seize the Awkward means using that discomfort to open a conversation (and the campaign offers suggestions for just how to make that happen).

The campaign's website explains it in more detail:https://seizetheawkward.org/

In my experience playing this and other MMOs, there are many mature people playing this and other games that will quietly counsel people who seem 'at risk' when chatting.Yes, that's exactly the idea: that non-experts often will be the first to notice. The campaign encourages those "mature people" to reach out, even when it feels awkward.

tl;dr no one is suggesting that awkward is a sign of mental illness. On the contrary, the campaign recommends that people embrace that discomfort, rather than allowing it to be a barrier to those first steps.

@keenedge.9675 said:I saw that the potion was offered as a nod to the suicide prevention week campaign elsewhere. Awkwardness does not imply suicidal tendencies. In my experience playing this and other MMOs, there are many mature people playing this and other games that will quietly counsel people who seem 'at risk' when chatting.

But just like shouting 'Reeeee', 'Social Awkwardness' in fractals, or shouting 'kitten', the potion makes light of people with mental issues. These people are not suicidal, they just have different limitations and tolerances to what society considers 'normal' minor conflict and 'banter'. They are all offensive. (ask a mental help professional)

I hope the potion will age out of the Gem Store soon so that I can once again see the '!' indication for pick-up again.

My understanding was that the awkwardness is from attempting to initiate the conversation about suicide. I do not think this potion is disrespectful and I'm glad that gw2 is adding to suicide awareness.Edit: Talking to people about suicide is good, but if you really need help call the suicide hotline.

I have never gotten the impression that this campaign has been suggesting that awkwardness was a sign of mental illness or suicidal tendencies. I thought they were pretty clear from the onset that the awkwardness they were referring to was the awkwardness of reaching out to someone who was showing signs of mental illness or other unhealthy tendencies (such as possible risk of suicide).

Many times we may see someone that looks like they may be dealing with something or being troubled in someway and wish to reach out and help them, or even just let them know someone cares. While having that conversation may be awkward, just knowing that someone cares about them may help them to reconsider hurting themselves or others or seek the help they may need.

@JekthAvid.1408 said:

@"keenedge.9675" said:I saw that the potion was offered as a nod to the suicide prevention week campaign elsewhere. Awkwardness does not imply suicidal tendencies. In my experience playing this and other MMOs, there are many mature people playing this and other games that will quietly counsel people who seem 'at risk' when chatting.

But just like shouting 'Reeeee', 'Social Awkwardness' in fractals, or shouting 'kitten', the potion makes light of people with mental issues. These people are not suicidal, they just have different limitations and tolerances to what society considers 'normal' minor conflict and 'banter'. They are all offensive. (ask a mental help professional)

My understanding was that the awkwardness is from attempting to initiate the conversation about suicide. I do not think this potion is disrespectful and I'm glad that gw2 is adding to suicide awareness.

Yeah, I thought seizing the awkward was about having those difficult conversations about mental health despite the fact that they can be so uncomfortable.

With a tiny amount of effort on my side (I googled the website) I see that that is pretty much what is about.

I'd recommend that the OP read the website so that they do get it.

https://seizetheawkward.org/

• 1 month later...

@Wolf.6813 said:Does anyone knows how to disable it? im a new player, and i am suicidal, so having that on my screen does the complete opposite for me, i play the game to distract myself, not to get reminded of it every day, and its seriously freaking me out. please.

There isn’t a way to disable things like that. It appears I was wrong. Post below says how to disable.

What you can do instead is change the way you view it. Think of it as a reminder that people are aware that there are others who are going through hard times and that they are sympathetic and wish they had words that could help.

@Wolf.6813 said:Does anyone knows how to disable it? im a new player, and i am suicidal, so having that on my screen does the complete opposite for me, i play the game to distract myself, not to get reminded of it every day, and its seriously freaking me out. please.

Open your hero panel and go into novelties menu. The item is in the toy section there. Select it and use it to toggle it off. You probably had it automatically selected when you received the item and accidentally toggled it on.