Inventory Buttons - [Merged]

Nidome.1365

@Poormany.4507 said:Agree that there should be an option to remove one or both of the buttons from the top of the inventory and re-add them to the dropdown like before.

I don't understand why this update was needed in the first place - I haven't seen a single player have any issues with the previous layout. If it had an optional remove setting, I would have been much happier about it, as it would have allowed for some convenient UI customization for players who use the compact and deposit buttons frequently, but allowed those who don't use them as often to not mess up their inventory arrangement.

Well I would say it is to make it easier for the steam users to find deposit all and compact buttons when they enter the game.But it should be an option to have it like it was before if you want that.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I have used compact is by accident. I cannot think of a reason why I would want to use it on purpose.Depositing materials now takes significantly longer as you toggle rarity due to 8 years of habit, realise what you have done, re-toggle rarity and then carefully click the deposit all button making sure not to accidentally click compact.

Rearranging the furniture on the Titanic.

Did anybody, ever, anywhere ask for this change?

I get that some people do actually welcome this change. But for those who explicitly don't it is perhaps the worst possible implementation of an intended QoL change.

There is a reason why the Compact option was moved to the bottom of the list, away from Deposit All.

From the team that brought you (so called) Build Templates.

Smh.

Considering the change they made in the inventory menu itself to move the "compact" selection to the bottom of the menu, putting buttons of it and "deposit all mats" right next to each other is actually 10 steps back. Way to undo a solution to an issue that players were already complaining about.

This seems like a pointless change. Like many people in this thread I don't ever use Compact either except by accident. The button placement is asking for misclicks. Particularly on small UI settings.

Also, why not leave the options in the menu as well as creating the buttons? Leaving them in place would have taken less effort than removing them.

@Pockethole.5031 said:Invisible bags remove your fear of compacting your bag, use invisible bags people

No, this is not a solution. It may help, but to completely prevent the button to mess up my inventory I'd need to replace all bags with invisible ones. But that would cause even more problems, because I then could no longer use salvage all, deposit all materials or quickly sell junk. Not even counting the costs for all the new bags.

And while I really hate the new mess-inventory-up button that is so dangerously close, on the other hand when it's gone I'm going to love the new deposit materials button. Sure, I'm going to open the menu for some time out of habit. But having it out in the open, quickly and easily accessible with just only one click IS a huge QoL improvement for me. Especially in certain situations, but also, once gotten used to it, overall.

Until the second button is gone, though, I'm anxious to click anywhere near it. Yesterday I even started to deposit materials one by one...

Silly useless change I think not many asked for.

Please undo/make optional that horrible deposit button.Or at least leave the pulldown one under the cog intact.

The very very first hint friends gave me in 2012 when starting gw2 was use the cog ... my brain has that on auto mode since.

The additional button, fine, but leave the pulldown intact or make it an option.

While at it: also do something about the mass salvage when using the silver salvage tool. If I dont have any greens, do please salvage blues, dont make me reselect blue and lower in stead of green and lower

I don't agree for the current deposit and compact buttons being together but I do understand why they've added them. It will be for great help to the new players who suffer from inventory clogging and don't know about the deposit option or their items being all over the place in the inventory. I've seen many examples of starting players (noobs) who find the game unattractive because the lack of space at the beggining of the game. IMO they've made this "improvement" not for the veteran players but for the new ones.

@"Bunter.3795" said:Most of us are used to "Deposit All" being in the upper right of the screen. The Compact all button is the new button. An easy way to solve this would be to put the deposit button where the gear is, put the gear in the center and put the new compact button (which everyone has to get used to) on the left where the deposit button is now. It would solve all issues. No one really cares that there is a compact all button (of those that don't use it) but they do care that it is so close to deposit all. This way everyone could be happy, all three buttons would be there, all three could be used and yet the chance of clicking the wrong button greatly diminishes.

Compact isn't new, if I remember correctly that option has been in the game since the beginning. Originally it was in the menu right below deposit, but following player feedback (and a streamer effectively demonstrating just how frustrating it can be when you use it by accident when it happened during a steam) Anet added an option to move compact to the bottom of the list so there was almost no chance of hitting it by accident.

They made that optional because whilst some people requested a way to separate the two other people said they like them being close together because their inventory sorting process involves using them both one after the other - deposit materials then compact everything else - so it's more convenient to have them next to each other and they didn't want it moved. Making it an option players could switch on and off allowed them to accommodate both groups.

I assume whoever made this change is that second type of person - they usually use both deposit and compact and so putting the two buttons side by side is more convenient for them because they can quickly click one then the other.

@Zet.9130 said:So many questions; Was and or Who vetted this decision? Is game design headed by a Type A that wants the world orderly? Has a seperate materials button been requested by players for years? Was making changes to the UI the best use of resources. .... Zet

I do remember seeing this suggested by players occasionally, mainly as a way to make it quicker to get to those options. Some have gone further and suggested adding all the inventory options as buttons along the top.

But I suspect that @"Gopaka.7839" is right that the main factor was probably new players not knowing the options are there. It's not uncommon for a new players first post in this forum to be complaining about a lack of inventory space and the cost of bigger bags or more bag slots (which is a lot for someone just starting out). The solution always involves making sure they're aware of the deposit button and aren't trying to carry around loads of materials. (And then other things, like making sure they know not to keep event items and to sell junk to merchants.)

@Pockethole.5031 said:Invisible bags remove your fear of compacting your bag, use invisible bags peopleI really love this new setting. 50% less clicking for me.

Yeah people are hardly going to replace dozens of bags across all toons with invisible just because of a totally random UI change which was never asked for

Honestly Anet, if you need things to do and are bored, there’s millions of forum feedback requests to choose from if you choose to actually read them

A great QOL improvement for me. Deposit All --> Compact, use it all the time in this order. I mean, if you wanna separate items either use bag-split UI, or use those bag that disable the 'compact' option. But tbh, GW2 UI has always been very inflexible. Imho, there could have addressed some of the more important QOL that have been asked since launch, like, -GASP- the ability to move and resize HP/Skill bar.

For me the best option would be to move the "deposit all" button somewhere on the main screen so that I don't have to open the inventory panel in order to use it. Almost anywhere would be okay. If I have to open the inventory panel the difference between the button and the menu item is very little. Other people may feel differently but for me an accidental "deposit all" is never a problem. I never use compact because I organize things as I want them so compact is a big pain to do accidentally.

Since the people who like this change say they do a deposit all followed by a compact how about having one button that, depending on an option setting, either deposits all or deposit all and compact. If the user chooses for the button to only deposit all then compact can appear in the drop down menu. Actually a option to specify whether compact appears as a button or in the menu is probably best as there may be people who only compact after deposit some of the time, who knows.

But the requests for adding a deposit all button that I have noticed were for the deposit all button to be accessible from the main screen so you don't have to open the inventory panel and obscure your entire screen in order to do a deposit all when, in the middle of a battle, you get the "you are encumbered" notice.

I can see the utility in making deposit all more visible, I didn't know about it until I read about it in the forums. Something that everyone uses regularly probably shouldn't be hidden in a menu.