The Icebrood Saga: Champions - [Merged]

Fire Attunement.9835

@Dark Red Killian.3946 said:Think of this as episode 5, the final episode of Icebrood Saga, but divided into 4 parts, or chapters. My guess we will have a huge amount of map around eye of the north to explore and it gets built upon with each chapter? Maybe other maps of tyria get used as part of the story? Who knows.

YI think you give ANET to much credit... they have moved on to developing Exp3.... but i hope im wrong and there are new maps.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the confusion regarding the naming/numbering:

Thus far every episode has been two chapters. We've had two episodes this season, divided into four chapters total, plus a prologue and vision. Each episode had a shared story between the two chapters and a shared map, with a little variation.

The announcement seems to mean that we'll be getting one more episode consisting of four chapters instead of two episodes of two chapters each, indicating it'll all be set on a single, colossal map that they'll expand in fourths, and tell a story twice as long as normal.

So that would mean we're going to a very significant place in northern Tyria.

The title also seems to suggest the story will be centered around Ryland and Braham, champions of the Charr and Norn.

"The Icebrood Saga: Champions is a multichapter Living World finale..."So 1 episode worth of content split into 4 parts spread over the course of more than half a year?

"...featuring new story, repeatable gameplay content, rewards, achievements, and masteries."So no Strikes then? Because if new Strikes were under repeatable gameplay content, there'd be no reason to not make a big mention out of it right? So yet another content format abandoned in the name of experimentation?

"This timeline is independent of our announcement and release plans for Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons..."So now that there's a new expac in the pipeline, I guess we can expect to have no more "expansion-level content" to be released in Icebrood Saga?

(1:30:51. Time stamp doesn't work with the embedding here) "We've not forgotten about World Restructuring. We're really excited to talk about that in the coming months." - Jason Reynolds, Aug 30, 2019. Pretty interesting definition of "coming months".

No mention of Visions of the Past, Alliances or Legendary Armory. Real exciting road map.

Living World Season 2: 8 episodes. July 1, 2014 to January 13, 2015. 7 months.Living World Season 3: 6 episodes. Jul 26, 2016 to Jul 25, 2017. 12 months.Living World Season 4: 6 episodes. November 28, 2017 to May 14, 2019. 18 monthsIcebrood Saga: 1 Prologue, 4 Episodes, plus 4 Chapters. September 17, 2019 to May 2021. 18 months.

My only hope is that the 4 Chapters added up amounts to more content than a standard Episode. And even then, it would be a marginal improvement over the productivity of Season 4.

Chapters? what are they?.. how will they differ from episodes?.. or are they just a renamed stand in for episodes?Are chapters just one giant Episode broken up into several smaller ones?Is chapter 1 coming before or at the same times as the voice work for the last two episodes?What happened to more Visions of the Past content?Did Drooburt finally get enough candy this year to start his new afterlife?

It's nice to have these road maps, specially the bit about the voice work patch and when we can expect it, which has been the biggest thing on my list since those episodes came out.But this one begs a few questions.. I see the comments here and am right there with people wondering what's so different about these Chapters.

@Nexxus.5347 said:Disappointing announcement. Look Portals open in Tyria. Look newest enemies exit portal. Look we kill the enemies with allies. Look portal closed.

If that's all you got and there are no new maps, I'm taking a break until the expansion. Ross we are on a break! no Gems for you.

I would be surprised if there wasn't at least one new map. Though this thread will probably ramble on for 7 pages. FRONT AND BACK!

@Underdark.3726 said:So no more strike missions? pity.

It doesn't say that your just putting words into the blog post clearly they wanted to talk about the new things in the chapter that haven't been in GW2 before like the response missions and the faction system how about waiting for the chapter 1 trailer. Also strikes would fall under replayable gameplay content so its like bundled with that.

@Pifil.5193 said:Hmm, cynically, I wonder if this means no new maps for the rest of the saga and some wave defense missions scattered throughout core Tyria, with some sign fixing style content added every week or two.

Time will tell, of course, but I'm a little wary of this apparent change of direction.

I just hope that the new rewards and weapon sets they mention aren't just there as hard gold and material sinks.

I highly doubt that after doing a new map every release since season 2 or parts of maps every release. They clearly wanted to focus on the new aspects of the Icebrood Saga such as the response missions and the faction system. Lets wait for the trailer for chapter 1.

@Hannelore.8153 said:About the confusion regarding the naming/numbering:

Thus far every episode has been two chapters. We've had two episodes this season, divided into four chapters total, plus a prologue and vision. Each episode had a shared story between the two chapters and a shared map, with a little variation.

The announcement seems to mean that we'll be getting one more episode consisting of four chapters instead of two episodes of two chapters each, indicating it'll all be set on a single, colossal map that they'll expand in fourths, and tell a story twice as long as normal.

So that would mean we're going to a very significant place in northern Tyria.

The title also seems to suggest the story will be centered around Ryland and Braham, champions of the Charr and Norn.

Much of this is assumptions tho, lile we dont know if we will get a mapwith this and how large its gonna be, the event speaks for enemies apearing all over the palce so it could just be the pre launch hot events.a

Starts the 17th november? The day of my birthbay? Better be good. Big words, promising. But I will not sell the skin of the norn before playing that content.

About how it is presented, it's messy. You have season, with episodes sub-divised into chapters? Dunno frankly. Can't judge currently. Because it's just name. No real big hints about plot or maps.

So gonna wait my bday, play that first chapter and then tell what I think. But the icebrood saga had good spikes and deceptions, ondulating like a wave. The prologue, bjora east and drizzle south were positive with interesting story and metas whereas bjora west and drizzle north were the worst maps I ever experienced (well not as bad as kourna but not far). So I'm expecting a lot for that first chapter and not reused world boss or copy pasted same event everywhere. Something that shake the habits, not only capture and hold events.

That announcement panel does have blue and red colors, but it is still to refer to bangar/legions/blood legion and jormag. I will not be fooled thinking we will see depths of Tyria, Dwarves and Primordius, but if so it would be a great surprise.

Truce - Power - Balance - JudgementTrying truce with Bangar. Jormag wanting more power. Primordius joins the game and balance it. It is time to judge if we can continue to slaughter dragon or try to live with them.

Am I the only person wondering why they said "dragon minions" instead of "Jormag minions"?

Speculative question: does this perhaps suggest a second dragon (i.e. Primordus, the antithesis of Jormag) will be an active part of this part of the story? And also perhaps a part of the (presumed/eventual) Jormag solution?

EDIT: Ooops, I just read the post above me :-)

Just a minor correction:The latest 'balance' was done on the 13th October, however this is not what I'd call a balance patch at all, as its failed to hit the key issues that have been said over and over again for the last year.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/116445/game-update-notes-october-13-2020

This balance patch I almost missed as I didnt even notice what they had changed. We have had the most static meta for a long time now, where are the big changes? the changes that make people rethink their play style every time for PvP, changes that keep the mode feeling fresh than the current stale moldy air.

I really thought we were going to get a balance patch around this time, due to the time that has lapses with almost no real changes. (Also please learn that just number tweaks of skills does not fix some outright broken mechanics, some changes do also need to be the animation/skill timing/order of skill (Brutal shot, shoot > dodge (sometimes fails to shoot if the target walks into them, or just doesnt dodge.))

@"archmagus.7249" said:They've put out a road map for all the way out to mid-summer for content. They haven't even mentioned a balance patch, and we're well over due for one, with the last one being July 7th (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/109335/game-update-notes-july-7-2020#latest).

According to the blogpost this roadmap is only for LS and festivals, so even if there are other patches planned, they won't be included in this roadmap:

Since our work in Cantha is top secret for now, today we’re sharing a high-level look at our Living World and festival release plans for every month from November 2020 through May 2021.

@"archmagus.7249" said:They've put out a road map for all the way out to mid-summer for content. They haven't even mentioned a balance patch, and we're well over due for one, with the last one being July 7th (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/109335/game-update-notes-july-7-2020#latest).

Because there isn't one, and wont be anything new till the expansion. PvP and WvW are in maintenance mode, they dont care about us and want this game to be single-player open world PvE content with the occasional world boss. Note that the word "Soloable" is in the road-map quite a bit.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@"archmagus.7249" said:They've put out a road map for all the way out to mid-summer for content. They haven't even mentioned a balance patch, and we're well over due for one, with the last one being July 7th (
).

Because there isn't one, and wont be anything new till the expansion. PvP and WvW are in maintenance mode, they dont care about us and want this game to be single-player open world PvE content with the occasional world boss. Note that the word "Soloable" is in the road-map quite a bit.

And somehow it's been like this for 5 years and people still play it.

Oh wait, because there are a bunch of changes over the years.

Of course open/living world content is going to be soloable, if you try to take that as an indicator the game is dying or that they are catering to certain people, no. Just more of the same.

It's been a while since the last significant patch yes and we're long over due one but that roadmap is only for The Story and Festivals.My Guess is they aren't sure on the release dates on other content so decided to just do a roadmap with the things they are most confident in arriving on time.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"archmagus.7249" said:They've put out a road map for all the way out to mid-summer for content. They haven't even mentioned a balance patch, and we're well over due for one, with the last one being July 7th (
).

And somehow it's been like this for 5 years and people still play it.

Oh wait, because there are a bunch of changes over the years.

Of course open/living world content is going to be soloable, if you try to take that as an indicator the game is dying or that they are catering to certain people, no. Just more of the same.

The game is dying, lol. But I mean sure objectivity is objectivity; Deed in my eyes and a meme of a game unworthy of its success because it "tried" to be different and then returned to the mold in which it came. But then I mean... some of the games like fallout 76 have technically succeeded… so perhaps its an issue of taste, preference and the acceptance of mediocre games that has led us to where the gaming industry can be as lazy as it is.

All of the changes, you reference? What the ones at HoT? Since then it hasn't changed besides the warclaw.... and well that got nerfed into oblivion. Maps are abandoned, no one plays an MMO to play single player when TONS of single player story driven games exist that put this one to shame. But Different strokes for different folks I Guess~

@"Smoosh.2718" said:Just a minor correction:The latest 'balance' was done on the 13th October, however this is not what I'd call a balance patch at all, as its failed to hit the key issues that have been said over and over again for the last year.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/116445/game-update-notes-october-13-2020

This balance patch I almost missed as I didnt even notice what they had changed. We have had the most static meta for a long time now, where are the big changes? the changes that make people rethink their play style every time for PvP, changes that keep the mode feeling fresh than the current stale moldy air.

I really thought we were going to get a balance patch around this time, due to the time that has lapses with almost no real changes. (Also please learn that just number tweaks of skills does not fix some outright broken mechanics, some changes do also need to be the animation/skill timing/order of skill (Brutal shot, shoot > dodge (sometimes fails to shoot if the target walks into them, or just doesnt dodge.))

Technically those were all skill splits, adjusting coefficients.

What I'm taking about with the balance patch is where skills/traits are reworked; where they tell us what they are thinking when they are making the changes and going forward.

@archmagus.7249 said:

Technically those were all skill splits, adjusting coefficients.

What I'm taking about with the balance patch is where skills/traits are reworked; where they tell us what they are thinking when they are making the changes and going forward.

Anet believes this is what a balance patch is. To them, they fulfilled their promise of balance.