Expansion new weapon - not the pistol, the STAFF! (aka spear!)

swifti.2590

I've seen quite a few posts suggesting a pistol as the next weapon for the warrior in the upcoming expansion. I was just thinking how cool it could be to have a spear (staff). Just think of the possibilities! throw!, impale! sweeping strike!

GOT viper vs the mount themes come to mind!

@"Fueki.4753" said:How about a Sceptre that works like a javelin?

With Revenants and Daredevils being able to hit enemies using Kasmeer's Staff, a Warrior throwing Sceptres is a non-issue.

Yes I can not wait to throw this at people...764px-Princess_Wand.jpg

That is the reasons I do not want Staff as the weapon for warrior, limited skin choices for something that looks good melee, and 0 legendary weapon choices for melee (Bifrost has a huge caster vibe to it). The biggest reason for me, is that I am really not a fan of staff/spears in games, reminds me more of an old guy who can barely walk fighting with their walking stick.... Which come to think about, we may need if balance keeps up.

@felix.2386 said:

@"Lighter.5631" said:short bow, thanks

Power or condi?

doesnt matter, renegade shortbow was supposed condi, but it's meta power build right now in PvP

longbow was supposed condi, but hambow was power, greatsword/lb is also power, and shoutbow was hybrid.anything can happe tbh.

I know, my question was more of a tongue in cheek comment. The correct answer would simply have been "yes."

@Opopanax.1803 said:Spear or Staff makes more sense for a support build.We need a support build or a condi build for this next espec.

I would prefer staff and a support build.

Nothing stopping a pistol/pistol support build centered on blast finishers and command based profession mechanics. E-Specs come with new utilities and new mechanics remember? There is nothing stopping a pistol/pistol spec from having F1-F4 skills being support focused with each consuming a single bar of adrenaline while the weapon bar itself is DPS + Blast finishers with fields granted via traits/utilities.

Support comes from more than the weapon bar and Warrior does not need another melee weapon. It needs a solid mid range power dps option that provides utility on the offhand. Imagine a Pistol 5 that leaves a water field with Pistol 4 being an AoE daze that is a blast finisher, and a Pistol 2 that is a single target DPS skill that is short CD and a blast finisher? What if that Pistol 5 were a smoke field instead?

I don't understand why the people around here wants pistol so bad... I really prefer a rework of the actual ranged weapons.

And I really don't see the Staff/Spear thing coming out, since we already have the Berserker and the Magebane(Spellbreaker) I would prefer something like a Battlemage with Scepter, Staff or Focus. Or a Raider with Shortbow.

@Obtena.7952 said:Medium Range staff ... I'm all for that. It feels like it starts hitting 'Daredevil' territory though.

Agreed, would have to be done well and made distinctive.

I think it could be cool to have more of a enemy debuffer support theme, ie weakness and fear vs enemies.

For staff skills, would love to see a mix of things, perhaps one skill akin to a necromancers mark, one banner like the old banners that could be moved, add to it a pulsing debuff. Then a group block and a heal of some sort.

I would avoid the avoidance that DD has, or it would rip off DD.

What about two bundles on one weapon where you switch between its skills by pressing the last button with a strong effect of course, so we get staff/spear for semi melee ranged reach and switch to bear fists for close range. Yes im still going with the Monk that punches people to heal people like Kharazim from HoTS and it would fit warrior better as a offensive healer.

@Vancho.8750 said:What about two bundles on one weapon where you switch between its skills by pressing the last button with a strong effect of course, so we get staff/spear for semi melee ranged reach and switch to bear fists for close range. Yes im still going with the Monk that punches people to heal people like Kharazim from HoTS and it would fit warrior better as a offensive healer.

I cast Fist and heal the whole party.

Some of the things I believe that warrior lacks the most is mid range and AOE pressure which is why I think we'll get short bow, and looking at all the other professions that have short bow they're all condi based so I'd guess it'd be condi based. I could also see them doing power just because most warrior things seem power based.

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:Some of the things I believe that warrior lacks the most is mid range and AOE pressure which is why I think we'll get short bow, and looking at all the other professions that have short bow they're all condi based so I'd guess it'd be condi based. I could also see them doing power just because most warrior things seem power based.

I think Pistol/Pistol could involve exploding shells personally.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:Some of the things I believe that warrior lacks the most is mid range and AOE pressure which is why I think we'll get short bow, and looking at all the other professions that have short bow they're all condi based so I'd guess it'd be condi based. I could also see them doing power just because most warrior things seem power based.

It'd almost have to for the AOE, but that almost feels too Engineer to me. That being said I can't think of too many other classes that would "realistically" use pistols (yes I know Mesmer uses a magic pistol).

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:Some of the things I believe that warrior lacks the most is mid range and AOE pressure which is why I think we'll get short bow, and looking at all the other professions that have short bow they're all condi based so I'd guess it'd be condi based. I could also see them doing power just because most warrior things seem power based.

It'd almost have to for the AOE, but that almost feels too Engineer to me. That being said I can't think of too many other classes that would "realistically" use pistols (yes I know Mesmer uses a magic pistol).

If Holo can be an engi/warrior themed e-spec then warrior can get a warrior/engi themed e-spec. We already have one gunpowder weapon, not so weird to have another.

@Telgum.6071 said:I don't understand why the people around here wants pistol so bad... I really prefer a rework of the actual ranged weapons.

And I really don't see the Staff/Spear thing coming out, since we already have the Berserker and the Magebane(Spellbreaker) I would prefer something like a Battlemage with Scepter, Staff or Focus. Or a Raider with Shortbow.

You must be kind of new here, ANET does not do reworks, they just do ammo and number changes.

Also, do note that there are already NPC's in the game wearing heavy armour and using pistol pistol (and im not talking about only the Charr).

Why do I want this weapon so badly? Warrior has never had a 1h range weapon, its lacked it from the core days and really its builds have been limited by this. Having a 1h range weapon will open the doors to so many build options, which a staff will never do.

If we do get staff and find out that its not really a great weapon, congratulations you'll never use the weapon (just like torch). At least with pistol you'll be able see it in many areas of the game, PvE, PvP and WvW.

Build options and play styles is why It must be pistol and not staff, I will stand by this strongly.

Please... no... more... condi... weapons.