Stop letting free account into WvW

SweetPotato.7456

People using free account to troll in WvW is out of hand, it needs to be handle by not letting free account plying in WvW.

the only reason anyone would go to WvW with free account is to troll / spy tactivator pulling , I do not see any other reason anyone would go to WvW with a low level trial account.

it is also damaging to Anet's income when player dont buy gem from the gem store to transfer.

please stop allowing Free Account into WvW. You will have cut down griefing in WvW by a whole lot.

Thank You

Just so you know it's not just free accounts, it's also paid accounts too, should they block those too? After that, start blocking people who don't have a certain expansion?

It's not free accounts that are the problem, it's people that are the problem.

PS - Btw not everyone on a free account is there to 'troll' WvW, you do know people like to play this mode? For example I know someone whose played years on an ftp account and they are nice a dedicated player, should we suddenly boot them out? No. Should we boot potential players? No. Just no.

Let me expand a little further. All of the people I've seen pull tactivator have been on hot/pof accounts - do you know why? Because there isn't any repercussion. It's just the way tactivators work. You should be asking for changes to tactivators or claiming guild should disable public activations.

Asking for anet to block ftp from WvW when the real problem lies elsewhere is like asking anet to block ftp from pve because someone is following you around every map or something.

For a lot of players new to the game, free to play accounts are akin to putting their feet in the water before committing to a swim.The last thing we want to do is discourage folks from playing the gamemode, even if there are bad apples among them.Adjust the setting on tactivators so that when set to private a confirmation prompt appears to those in a guild when someone not in the guild pulls it. The guild can then confirm or deny.

~ Kovu

@"SweetPotato.7456" said:People using free account to troll in WvW is out of hand, it needs to be handle by not letting free account plying in WvW.

the only reason anyone would go to WvW with free account is to troll / spy tactivator pulling , I do not see any other reason anyone would go to WvW with a low level trial account.

it is also damaging to Anet's income when player dont buy gem from the gem store to transfer.

please stop allowing Free Account into WvW. You will have cut down griefing in WvW by a whole lot.

Thank You

You have any proof of this? Have you submitted it?

Because to be honest, while not saying free accounts are not an issue for spying for sure.....Most of the trolls and cheaters I have seen in the last few months are on high WvW ranked accounts. One I reported last week was a high ranked core guard that would port fully out of sight to get OOC and then port back in. I honestly think these accounts are probably hacked or sold accounts, as it seems to be a new wave of cheaters as of late.

What we need are some simple safe guards in WvW, not banning free accounts. These should have been there since tactics etc were added, but here we are with nothing still.

• EWP and Invulnerable Fortifications should only be pullable if the structure is contested, this will stop 99% of the trolling on these big items.
  • When a tactic is pulled it should list the players name in map chat, such as "-Player Name- Used EWP at Hills" So if someone was trolling, people would be able to keep track of who it is, you could also add in a system that whoever holds claim can "block" some users, just like you do on your personal block list. Another plus is for EWP pulls, it could list the EWP in the msg, so you didn't have to try and spam it.
  • Siege lock the area around tactics just like your spawn area is, so people can't build troll siege on them, you could also lock it so food and other items can't be placed in this same area.

Just these 3 things should remove the need to ban any kind of account type, it makes trolling harder if not impossible and allows more people to come into and enjoy WvW.

Em, no?First of all, f2p accounts in WvW are not for trolling purposes only. You can snipe other ppl, play on other servers if your matchup is boring, play with your friends from other servers etc. And ofc you can also troll enemy servers or your own.And second, if ppl want to troll, they gonna troll, one way or another. Cheaters should be banned always, no matter under what circumstances. But trolls? WvW is not competetive mode, you can hire 100 ppl (accounts*) to afk in spawn whole day not allowing others to play and you cant do anything about it.

@Kovu.7560 said:For a lot of players new to the game, free to play accounts are akin to putting their feet in the water before committing to a swim.The last thing we want to do is discourage folks from playing the gamemode, even if there are bad apples among them.Adjust the setting on tactivators so that when set to private a confirmation prompt appears to those in a guild when someone not in the guild pulls it. The guild can then confirm or deny.

~ Kovu

This sentiment sounds nice, however, from my experience people that are actually new, as you describe, I would say 90% don't want to try WvW and then 90% of those that would want to try WvW with a new ftp lowbie toon are, likely, going to have a poor experience or hopefully not try WvW with said unequipped toon and just buy the game. No I think this is a poor argument in reality. What I mean is, I understand your point and respect the premise, however,I find it unrealistic. I find it much more realistic to consider that most Serious FTP players are just trying out the game. They wana see basics and get a feel which is all ftp should provide.

Granted, on the one hand its very nice that ftp get access to wvw, pvp, etc. In practice, many that play those modes with ftp cause problems like the OP mentions. Meaning, they are often trolls in wvw, throw alts in ranked, people just trolling the game in general, trolling map chat, etc, etc. All the shit that drives people away from the game. Much of which is best done w FTP, at present. That seems like an obvious issue. Also more legit ftp that would be interested in buying the game at some point (the ones who actually matter IMO) would likely be content to try pve, non-ranked, etc. If the game was changed to cut off ftp from these few things. I do think it would be very beneficial. It would cut out a large source of shenanigans.

What Im saying is I see very little reason for FTP to need to try WvW directly or ranked pvp for that matter to know if they like the game enough to buy it. I mean u can get it half price which is like $15 for pof +hot. Seriously, I think the game would be healthier overall if FTP had a few restrictions beyond no free daily 2g and full TP.

Hey, a good player I know is a F2P core mesmer.

Besides, this is a tact and alt problem, not a F2P problem.I've long said that WvW should only let their own Guilds and entrusted individuals pull tacts.

After all, once a player has been playing long enough in favour of their server, they become well recognized be it a roamer or commander.Additionally, the Guild which owned the tact will get a notification which pings the player which pulled the tact and at what time in a log.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

@"Kovu.7560" said:For a lot of players new to the game, free to play accounts are akin to putting their feet in the water before committing to a swim.The last thing we want to do is discourage folks from playing the gamemode, even if there are bad apples among them.Adjust the setting on tactivators so that when set to private a confirmation prompt appears to those in a guild when someone not in the guild pulls it. The guild can then confirm or deny.

~ Kovu

This sentiment sounds nice, however, from my experience people that are
actually new
, as you describe, I would say 90% don't want to try WvW and then 90% of those that would want to try WvW with a new ftp lowbie toon are, likely, going to have a poor experience or hopefully not try WvW with said unequipped toon and just buy the game. No I think this is a poor argument in reality. What I mean is, I understand your point and respect the premise, however,I find it unrealistic. I find it much more realistic to consider that most Serious FTP players are just trying out the game. They wana see basics and get a feel which is all ftp should provide.

Granted, on the one hand its very nice that ftp get access to wvw, pvp, etc. In practice, many that play those modes with ftp cause problems like the OP mentions. Meaning, they are often trolls in wvw, throw alts in ranked, people just trolling the game in general, trolling map chat, etc, etc. All the kitten that drives people away from the game. Much of which is best done w FTP, at present. That seems like an obvious issue. Also more legit ftp that would be interested in buying the game at some point (the ones who actually matter IMO) would likely be content to try pve, non-ranked, etc. If the game was changed to cut off ftp from these few things. I
do think it would
be very beneficial. It would cut out a large source of shenanigans.

What Im saying is I see very little reason for FTP to need to try WvW directly or ranked pvp for that matter to know if they like the game enough to buy it. I mean u can get it half price which is like $15 for pof +hot. Seriously, I think the game would be healthier overall if FTP had a few restrictions beyond no free daily 2g and full TP.

You have a very pessimistic view of the newer players of the community (which I completely disagree with), fail to recognize that many of those players choose to remain on their free accounts rather than upgrading to full accounts and still enjoy the game as much as any of us, and by pointing out the low cost of the game you strengthen any argument people make that trolling isn't caused exclusively by folks in free accounts. Rather, dedicated trolls will spend the money on the game (and as pointed out above are often alt accounts paid or otherwise of existing players on different servers) to accomplish their mission. Those kinds of players are clearly try hard and won't be stopped by a tiny investment.

Considering how much this game offers with only an initial cost and no subscription I will always be in favour of granting more to the folks who throw a bit of money at purchasing the game in full, but "mah tactics" is a sorry argument for cutting away a potentially great influx of newer players into the gamemode.

~ Kovu

@Yasai.3549 said:Hey, a good player I know is a F2P core mesmer.

Besides, this is a tact and alt problem, not a F2P problem.I've long said that WvW should only let their own Guilds and entrusted individuals pull tacts.

After all, once a player has been playing long enough in favour of their server, they become well recognized be it a roamer or commander.Additionally, the Guild which owned the tact will get a notification which pings the player which pulled the tact and at what time in a log.

That's a terrible idea.

@Kovu.7560 said:

@Kovu.7560 said:For a lot of players new to the game, free to play accounts are akin to putting their feet in the water before committing to a swim.The last thing we want to do is discourage folks from playing the gamemode, even if there are bad apples among them.Adjust the setting on tactivators so that when set to private a confirmation prompt appears to those in a guild when someone not in the guild pulls it. The guild can then confirm or deny.

~ Kovu

This sentiment sounds nice, however, from my experience people that are
actually new
, as you describe, I would say 90% don't want to try WvW and then 90% of those that would want to try WvW with a new ftp lowbie toon are, likely, going to have a poor experience or hopefully not try WvW with said unequipped toon and just buy the game. No I think this is a poor argument in reality. What I mean is, I understand your point and respect the premise, however,I find it unrealistic. I find it much more realistic to consider that most Serious FTP players are just trying out the game. They wana see basics and get a feel which is all ftp should provide.

Granted, on the one hand its very nice that ftp get access to wvw, pvp, etc. In practice, many that play those modes with ftp cause problems like the OP mentions. Meaning, they are often trolls in wvw, throw alts in ranked, people just trolling the game in general, trolling map chat, etc, etc. All the kitten that drives people away from the game. Much of which is best done w FTP, at present. That seems like an obvious issue. Also more legit ftp that would be interested in buying the game at some point (the ones who actually matter IMO) would likely be content to try pve, non-ranked, etc. If the game was changed to cut off ftp from these few things. I
do think it would
be very beneficial. It would cut out a large source of shenanigans.

You have a very pessimistic view of the newer players of the community (which I completely disagree with), fail to recognize that many of those players choose to remain on their free accounts rather than upgrading to full accounts and still enjoy the game as much as any of us, and by pointing out the low cost of the game you strengthen any argument people make that trolling isn't caused exclusively by folks in free accounts. Rather, dedicated trolls will spend the money on the game (and as pointed out above are often alt accounts paid or otherwise of existing players on different servers) to accomplish their mission. Those kinds of players are clearly try hard and won't be stopped by a tiny investment.

Considering how much this game offers with only an initial cost and no subscription I will always be in favour of granting more to the folks who throw a bit of money at purchasing the game in full, but "mah tactics" is a sorry argument for cutting away a potentially great influx of newer players into the gamemode.

~ Kovu

Funny, but I see the same facts and draw another conclusion. I really dont understand what great benefit accommodating new players who wont even spend $15 on the game. Furthermore, I see allot of benefit out of making a few restrictions to encourage people to actually fork out and buy the game if they plan to continue to play. Additionally, I think those that dont pay should have more restrictions than they do presently.

I wouldn't say I have a "pessimistic view of the newer players of the community". I do however see that FTP accounts create potential for shenanigans in ranked and wvw that would be reduced if people had to pay $15-30 to unlock that mode. Would it solve all the issues? Hell no. Do I think its very reasonable to suggest it wouldn't necessarily be bad idea? Hell Yeah! I actually love helping new players. This discussion has nothing to do with that topic. The topic is that FTP has less liability in the sense that one can just make new ones as much as one wishes which creates potential for shenanigans that doesn't exist with purchased accounts.

I knew when I posted in agreement with OP that even my well reasoned point many would criticize, disagree, etc. Its cool. I still wanted to suggest what I think actually is an honest point of view with no real objective in mind other than to try and look at the OP's topic and try to way in. o/

@"DemonSeed.3528" said:Just so you know it's not just free accounts, it's also paid accounts too, should they block those too? After that, start blocking people who don't have a certain expansion?

It's not free accounts that are the problem, it's people that are the problem.

PS - Btw not everyone on a free account is there to 'troll' WvW, you do know people like to play this mode? For example I know someone whose played years on an ftp account and they are nice a dedicated player, should we suddenly boot them out? No. Should we boot potential players? No. Just no.

Let me expand a little further. All of the people I've seen pull tactivator have been on hot/pof accounts - do you know why? Because there isn't any repercussion. It's just the way tactivators work. You should be asking for changes to tactivators or claiming guild should disable public activations.

Asking for anet to block ftp from WvW when the real problem lies elsewhere is like asking anet to block ftp from pve because someone is following you around every map or something.

To add on, it's not always nefarious. I had a long hiatus from the game and returned after these things were added. I had no idea what they were or that they were only usable once, so I used one of the SMC ones (I believe it was one of those air bombers or something?) because I saw a usable switch. I haven't since because I know this now, but when you have potentially tens of thousands of people that don't know about this stuff, it's easy to see them being used a lot and to think it's "trolling" even though it's tons of different people.

@"raptorak.8250" said:To add on, it's not always nefarious. I had a long hiatus from the game and returned after these things were added. I had no idea what they were or that they were only usable once, so I used one of the SMC ones (I believe it was one of those air bombers or something?) because I saw a usable switch. I haven't since because I know this now, but when you have potentially tens of thousands of people that don't know about this stuff, it's easy to see them being used a lot and to think it's "trolling" even though it's tons of different people.

That is also a good point - many people who enter WvW new learn by trial and error a majority of the time without knowing what things are/how they work/what to do. When I see a new person pulling tactivators (though many people need to be informed when the best time to use chilling fog), I let them know what their use is (defense/offense) and when to use them. Not their fault really, it's not like there are tutorials for new people entering WvW, just people screaming at them when they do something wrong lol.

This is a stupid argument. First a Free account has to be level 60 to enter WvW, and since you cannot instantly level, Trolls are not going to spend their time to level a character just to Troll a server, So almost all are Paid accounts WvW. Second, you can't ever stop trolling regardless. Third, this only serves to further discourage new players from joining WvW and thus our long term survival of this game mode

@Pagan Highlander.5948 said:This is a stupid argument. First a Free account has to be level 60 to enter WvW, and since you cannot instantly level, Trolls are not going to spend their time to level a character just to Troll a server, So almost all are Paid accounts WvW. Second, you can't ever stop trolling regardless. Third, this only serves to further discourage new players from joining WvW and thus our long term survival of this game mode

Thanks for reminding me, I always forget the fact that the ftp players are also level bound before being able to enter WvW which is, as you point out another reason and also highlights that most people trolling will be on paid ones.Edit: Just to clarify, paid accounts only need to finish the initial tutorial after character creation to enter WvW (I don't know why the wiki says level 31 , because I sometimes go to wvw maps to find banners to level up my keyrun characters which is at lvl2 after tutorial, and yes I double checked just then).Note: only if you've never entered wvw before, the requirement is lvl31

@"joneirikb.7506" said:An interesting potential for later on, is to have an option to set Tactics to "Alliance only", same way we got guild only now. (You know, somewhere in 20 years or so).Which is why I think they should implement alliances even if they dont currently use them for matchmaking. Just guilds being able to ally themselves with other guilds and thus unlock "alliance features" such as you say, only allow tactivators to ally guilds. Having an alliance chat. Having unique alliance tags. Etc and so on.

@Pagan Highlander.5948 said:This is a stupid argument. First a Free account has to be level 60 to enter WvW, and since you cannot instantly level, Trolls are not going to spend their time to level a character just to Troll a server, So almost all are Paid accounts WvW. Second, you can't ever stop trolling regardless. Third, this only serves to further discourage new players from joining WvW and thus our long term survival of this game mode

This seems like the best point so far that suggests, tactics pullers may not be mostly F2P people in WvW afterall.

@"Kovu.7560" said:For a lot of players new to the game, free to play accounts are akin to putting their feet in the water before committing to a swim.The last thing we want to do is discourage folks from playing the gamemode, even if there are bad apples among them.Adjust the setting on tactivators so that when set to private a confirmation prompt appears to those in a guild when someone not in the guild pulls it. The guild can then confirm or deny.

~ Kovu

This is why I don't think it would be a good idea to stop f2p players from entering WvW. The idea of having tactivators accessible only by alliances (or "alliances" of guilds) would be an interesting one and has potential.