[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

• ArenaNet Staff

At the end of summer, we gave you a first look at the next Guild Wars 2 expansion, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons. We have been overwhelmed by the response. Delivering this next chapter in the Guild Wars® universe is our highest priority.

With this in mind, we’ve made the decision to put the Guild Wars 2 Steam release on hold for the time being. Our number one priority right now is crafting Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons with the high quality you expect and deserve. Additionally, we’re full speed ahead on delivering an epic climax to The Icebrood Saga that lives up to (and we hope exceeds) previous Living World finales.

In the meantime, we’re looking forward to showing you the first trailer for The Icebrood Saga: Champions next Thursday, November 5.

-The Guild Wars 2 Team

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:Hopefully the posts about Guild Wars 2 coming on Steam will stop now.Excellent idea to bring the game to Steam, hopefully we'll get many new players.

yes. all those people who kept predicting the doom of GW2 if it came to steam should stop now. i really appreciate Anet's move to bring GW2 to steam. i mean GW1 is on steam so why not GW2?

and of course, like SWTOR, i hope we get more players and hopefully in the long run it's a boon to Anet and the whole community

People fear a botched release on Steam, the doom feeling is way more justified than you believe. If they were to release right now the review rating on Steam would be at mixed at best. Some people will not like the horizontal progression, some people will not like the combat system, some will hate the laggy maps, some will rage about PvP balance as they will feel they know all while they know kitten and some will be happy playing and having fun.

We want (and Anet wants) more players for GW2 and to keep most of these players, not have them join, dislike the game, uninstall and bury it with a negative review on Steam. We need more people trying and staying in the game than trying and leaving. The game can benefit or not by the Steam release.

That's all there is to it, it's not hard to understand but it can easily be dismissed as a non possibility.

@Sentient Anomaly.9473 said:At the end of summer, we gave you a first look at the next Guild Wars 2 expansion, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons. We have been overwhelmed by the response. Delivering this next chapter in the Guild Wars® universe is our highest priority.

With this in mind, we’ve made the decision to put the Guild Wars 2 Steam release on hold for the time being. Our number one priority right now is crafting Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons with the high quality you expect and deserve. Additionally, we’re full speed ahead on delivering an epic climax to The Icebrood Saga that lives up to (and we hope exceeds) previous Living World finales.

In the meantime, we’re looking forward to showing you the first trailer for The Icebrood Saga: Champions next Thursday, November 5.

-The Guild Wars 2 Team

Personally I don't mind this. I would rather have game content being worked on as much as possible for the benefit of all the players, instead of spending resources on a Steam release that only new accounts will be able to use.

@"Sentient Anomaly.9473" said:At the end of summer, we gave you a first look at the next Guild Wars 2 expansion, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons. We have been overwhelmed by the response. Delivering this next chapter in the Guild Wars® universe is our highest priority.

-The Guild Wars 2 Team

I would highly recommend you alter the text of the OP to directly state matters are on hold. Right now you still have a main paragraph saying it's coming in November, and an "Update" line with a link to today's news about the hold. But that link in no way has any text suggesting a date change, so people who don't follow the link for whatever reason will still think it's set for November.

I predict .. problems.

Wise decision, you definitely dont want to show the game as it is right now, the living story 4 maps and Path of fire maps are unplayable. I dont necessarily think you need to -wait- for the End of Dragons expansion to be released to go through with Steam, otherwise the Steam users wont understand what's going on. Unless you plan on releasing the expansion smack dab in the middle of summer 2021, which I advise against, as it seems too short compared to the amount of time the previous expansions took. Take your time, but please, stick the landing, for you as much as us.

@"Sentient Anomaly.9473" said:At the end of summer, we gave you a first look at the next Guild Wars 2 expansion, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons. We have been overwhelmed by the response. Delivering this next chapter in the Guild Wars® universe is our highest priority.

-The Guild Wars 2 Team

I'm okay with this, and hope that this is the real reason for the delay and not "acceptable" lip service. I also hope it means that server and some engine updates may be in the works (come expansion time?) so that new player (Steam, etc.) experience will be improved overall.

Above all, thank you Guild Wars 2 Team for working hard and sharing your creation with us and hopefully not letting harsh criticism from the community demoralize you. We complain because we care (hopefully)! Looking forward to exploring the future worlds you create. I hope it surprises us and surpasses our expectations! I have loved my time in Tyria so far and hope it only ever gets better.

@firedragon.8953 said:

@"Sentient Anomaly.9473" said:At the end of summer, we gave you a first look at the next
Guild Wars 2
expansion,
Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons
. We have been overwhelmed by the response. Delivering this next chapter in the
Guild Wars®
universe is our highest priority.

With this in mind, we’ve made the decision to put the
Guild Wars 2
Steam release on hold for the time being. Our number one priority right now is crafting
Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons
with the high quality you expect and deserve. Additionally, we’re full speed ahead on delivering an epic climax to
The Icebrood Saga
that lives up to (and we hope exceeds) previous Living World finales.

In the meantime, we’re looking forward to showing you the first trailer for
The Icebrood Saga: Champions
next Thursday, November 5.

-The Guild Wars 2 Team

I'm okay with this, and hope that this is the real reason for the delay and not "acceptable" lip service. I also hope it means that server and some engine updates may be in the works (come expansion time?) so that new player (Steam, etc.) experience will be improved overall.

Above all, thank you Guild Wars 2 Team for working hard and sharing your creation with us and hopefully not letting harsh criticism from the community demoralize you. We complain because we care (hopefully)! Looking forward to exploring the future worlds you create. I hope it surprises us and surpasses our expectations! I have loved my time in Tyria so far and hope it only ever gets better.

I tend to agree, if this isn't just lip service from PR then good. Im glad. I was concerned this expansion would suck due to no focus and little to no time to develop it; I still think honestly 2021 is too early. Because they started developing it late and we KNOW for fact it wasn't in development until at the very least the second half of Bjora as thats when the announcement came around; Before then they were transfixed on the saga being all there was. (Living world, never will and never can carry this game. We've done it twice now... I hope they NEVER use it like that again and instead use it to bridge the game between expansions.) That said though... if this is true then I expect BIG things and a BIG expansion with TONS of goodies and toys.

You're setting the bar yourself A-net, by this potential PR speak... Ill let you have the rope. Just... don't do what you tend to do with it? Ill try and have faith and support you in what ways I can as a customer and someone who has loved tyria since guild wars 1; PLEASE do not F cantha up or botch this expansion. Make it better than the last two and make the specs awesome, make everything awesome. Embrace the dark fantasy roots and just..... for the love of the spirits make a good product, a fun product with fun things that aren't just there for the sake of it. (I am 100% looking at the dead game modes you've abandoned.) ONLY put things in you intend on building upon if they are new systems/new game modes. IF NOT THEN DONT DO IT PLEASE.

Personally I am seeing a very concerning trend, alot of vaporware announcements and no follow through. It been over a year since "we will be ready to talk about alliances.... in the upcoming months". The legendary armory was announced over 6 months ago as a upcoming feature to latter be switched to early in development, a month latter. Now the steam release is another example of something being indefinitely put on hold. This make me worried that EoD might also not make it, all we have is a trailer with no ingame footage. Many suspect, including wooden potatoes, that the cgi trailer released in 2019 was the trailer for the canceled mobile game, so there being a trailer does not mean the xpac will come out.

...because the unacceptable server conditions of LWS4 and Icebrood Saga (Bjora Marches is an absolute disgrace) would be amplified times ten with a Steam release. If you think having a 2 second stall every 5-10 seconds was bad, just imagine with a considerable player count spike would do. I legitimately can't even play on Bjora Marches (even though I'm trying to complete achievements) because every event I basically get a server stall every time I get into combat and get my entire health bar dropped because I can't activate my healing ability. Combat in this region consists of my entire ability bar flashing for a solid 2 seconds, then all of them being activated at once as the server catches up with it.

I'm sure everybody is aware of this, but server conditions are just the worst.

They have made lots of Announcments to us to get us excited about aspects of the game and then haven't followed through such as, the Alliance system for WvW (3+ years now), making Legendary Armor sets available to all characters on an account, Steam release and other smaller announcements. I'd much rather see them follow through with these first and fix the lag and other issues first. Giving us more skins and shinies is not a solution, they are Band-Aids. Giving us a new expansion without following through on previous announcements is just another band-aid. the imp[ortant issues and problems are still being glossed over or ignored.

I don't have any of those issues, I even went out of my way one day and checked all the maps that people mentioned to be "laggy and unplayable". Everything runs super smooth anywhere in the game for me. Makes me wonder if some people maybe have bad internet or bad PCs and just blame Arena Net for no reason.

@"Crono.4197" said:I don't have any of those issues, I even went out of my way one day and checked all the maps that people mentioned to be "laggy and unplayable". Everything runs super smooth anywhere in the game for me. Makes me wonder if some people maybe have bad internet or bad PCs and just blame Arena Net for no reason.

Let me guess, you are on NA. The issues are mostly EU related.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Crono.4197" said:I don't have any of those issues, I even went out of my way one day and checked all the maps that people mentioned to be "laggy and unplayable". Everything runs super smooth anywhere in the game for me. Makes me wonder if some people maybe have bad internet or bad PCs and just blame Arena Net for no reason.

Im on EU, not a sign of lag anywhere, checked all maps, hence it is issue on users end rather than datacenter fault.

@Cthulhu.1432 said:

Im on EU, not a sign of lag anywhere, checked all maps, hence it is issue on users end rather than datacenter fault.

In that case, stay on the maps longer. I have never had issues in the 8 years I've played and then suddenly for the last 1.5 years some maps were unplayable. Thunderhead Keep was especially bad.

The assumption it's a datacenter is flawed by the simple premise that this issue is very widespread and affects a lot of players who never had issues before. The far more likely assumption here is your "test" was far to limited and you are drawing subjective conclusions. Especially since the developers have acknowledge the performance issues.