Inventory Buttons - [Merged]

Nidome.1365

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:I already keep hiding my rarities by accident when I mean to deposit.Last night one time I turned off and on my rarities 4 or more times in a row before I realized what I was doing... So much fail.

Yup 50 times now. I'm slowly adjusting but do players actually use those show rarity options. I never could think of any reason I wouldn't want to show rarity

Its one of the most important features while salvaging.Not for me. When I'm done auto-salvaging, nothing below exotic remains. And unsalvageables of course. I can't think of a single reason why I would want all those obnoxious colored gridlines all over my inventory.

@Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

@"Lottie.5370" said:I literally compact my inventory every single time before I close it (kind of a habit thing), it would be really annoying to have to "confirm" every time, especially when there are SO many types of bags that make it so you can't compact your items. Seems like a way easier fix to just use those tbh.

Yes, let's all go and craft another 32 slot invisible bag for about 100g because of a change that took away our option to move the compact button away from the deposit all button... I'm sorry if this is "fine" for some people, but it's a point of contention for many of us and having to do something like that is rather time consuming and pointless imo.

I really don't get the damn complaining. Right now there is literally an option for you to have bags that don't compact, and for people that want to be able to compact to be able to do it easily.

@Lottie.5370 said:

@Lottie.5370 said:I literally compact my inventory every single time before I close it (kind of a habit thing), it would be really annoying to have to "confirm" every time, especially when there are SO many types of bags that make it so you can't compact your items. Seems like a way easier fix to just use those tbh.

Yes, let's all go and craft another 32 slot invisible bag for about 100g because of a change that took away our option to move the compact button away from the deposit all button... I'm sorry if this is "fine" for some people, but it's a point of contention for many of us and having to do something like that is rather time consuming and pointless imo.

I really don't get the kitten complaining. Right now there is literally an option for you to have bags that don't compact, and for people that want to be able to compact to be able to do it easily.

Yes and having the option to move compact back to bottom of cog would not take anything away from you either just give back what we had before.

+1 for giving us the option to hide the compact button.

For years we benefitted from the QOL feature of moving the compact option away from the deposit option since many of us struggled with clicking the wrong things. I don't understand why this option should be removed with the introduction of a new QOL feature. I love the idea of these heavily used features being added as buttons, but I personally never want to compact my inventory and every time I accidentally click that button it costs me at least 10 minutes to put my bags back in order.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:For what its worth, Fractal boxes (150 relics/20 slots) behave like normal bugs but otherwise don't compact.

I only see the "uncommon", "rare" and "exotic" boxes. They do behave differently than a regular box: they distinguish by rarity. But aside from that: they do require players to pay using fractal currency, which they might not have enough of or even at all. Also, are there 32-slot versions of those and how can I exchange my current bags for those? Yes, those (and similar bags) are nice-to-have, and thanks for noting it, but they are not at all a replacement for a simple UI option. If this would be the intended solution it would be quite some discrimination against those with ... let me say this quite subjectively ... more self-organized inventory management.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:So what do you do when not using compact?

I have one each of blue, green and yellow unidentified gear I keep in my invisible bag at the bottom. I leave those to quietly attract the new gear drops, which stack up till I have some time to kill and open&salvage them all. Almost everything else that drops is either depositable, salvageable, or disappears when I find a merchant to sell my junk to. The very few items that I want to manually bank or keep where they are, I move to the top of my bag after the consumables, leaving the middle gap to continue accumulating new stuff. Its not like most drops require much examination.

Thanks for the reply. Good gaming!

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"WorldofBay.8160" said:

i read here from several people that they use the compact button a lot but they never said for what purpose, can someone explain? i have no idea what positive effect is done by clicking "compact" in the inventory - neither vendors nor the trading post care about empty space between items.

Will happily exchange views, since I am also not understanding how people don't use it. [...]

So do you just let new loot get mixed into the items you already addressed or are you manually moving items around in inventory as holes are opened up? For reference I use shared inventory for all the items I want in fixed positions and after that its a mixed bags per toon. Run with maxed bags on most toons with some outliers. I also run into capped storage at times and that means I might have toons sitting on items until I can clear storage so toons will develop sudden holes when next trying to mass deposit.

I can understand the options toggles and think it would work out for people, but, I can't see how people aren't using compact in some form.

So what do you do when not using compact?

first of all i never bought any shared inventory slots, they are too expensive imo, i only have the 1 free slot (used by permanent salvage kit ofc) plus the bonus slot that is exclusive for the free unused lvl 80 upgrade (and therefore useless).

i have all random drops that will always reappear after a short time and therefore don't make sense to clear in the bottom bags so that they fill up there and upon usage never lose their slot. that is for example candy corn, baubles and bauble bubbles, bl chests, silk sand, aether key parts, et cetera et cetera. the free space is then filled with gizmos. i can't use an unvisible bag for it because i need them to be visible (for example to exchange baubles for bauble bubbles). them being in the bottom bag is important because otherwise they constantly switch place (full stack of dragonite ore at top? next stack started lower, then gobbled up with a lucky 5 princess charges -> top stack gone, new stack remains. if the full stack is lower than the new stack, the new stack is always depleted first) and then i have no clue how much i got.as a bonus with that setting i know exactly when to use a gobbler or exchange stuff: as soon as a stack in the upper part pops up.

i usually put items that simply stay in my inventory to the top but those don't matter. loot is scattered around the free space but is never a problem as it blinks if new and both TP and vendors simple drop empty slots and unsellables from the list, so scattered stuff doesn't matter.

that setting is destroyed by any click on compact.

@WorldofBay.8160 said:

i read here from several people that they use the compact button a lot but they never said for what purpose, can someone explain? i have no idea what positive effect is done by clicking "compact" in the inventory - neither vendors nor the trading post care about empty space between items.

Will happily exchange views, since I am also not understanding how people don't use it. [...]

So do you just let new loot get mixed into the items you already addressed or are you manually moving items around in inventory as holes are opened up? For reference I use shared inventory for all the items I want in fixed positions and after that its a mixed bags per toon. Run with maxed bags on most toons with some outliers. I also run into capped storage at times and that means I might have toons sitting on items until I can clear storage so toons will develop sudden holes when next trying to mass deposit.

I can understand the options toggles and think it would work out for people, but, I can't see how people aren't using compact in some form.

So what do you do when not using compact?

first of all i never bought any shared inventory slots, they are too expensive imo, i only have the 1 free slot (used by permanent salvage kit ofc) plus the bonus slot that is exclusive for the free unused lvl 80 upgrade (and therefore useless).

i have all random drops that will always reappear after a short time and therefore don't make sense to clear in the bottom bags so that they fill up there and upon usage never lose their slot. that is for example candy corn, baubles and bauble bubbles, bl chests, silk sand, aether key parts, et cetera et cetera. the free space is then filled with gizmos. i can't use an unvisible bag for it because i need them to be visible (for example to exchange baubles for bauble bubbles). them being in the bottom bag is important because otherwise they constantly switch place (full stack of dragonite ore at top? next stack started lower, then gobbled up with a lucky 5 princess charges -> top stack gone, new stack remains. if the full stack is lower than the new stack, the new stack is always depleted first) and then i have no clue how much i got.as a bonus with that setting i know exactly when to use a gobbler or exchange stuff: as soon as a stack in the upper part pops up.

i usually put items that simply stay in my inventory to the top but those don't matter. loot is scattered around the free space but is never a problem as it blinks if new and both TP and vendors simple drop empty slots and unsellables from the list, so scattered stuff doesn't matter.

that setting is destroyed by any click on compact.

Thanks for sharing! Nope the scatter bit loses me versus just looking at the last items in the stack as the newer. This is a good study in why some flexibility in UIs works.

• 2 weeks later...

@Killerassel.2197 said:One release later and the button to mess

Yeah I was thinking they would do that as well, but I am being a fool. I do not know if the dev team keeps changing or not. One thing I am certain of Anet do not ever read any forum posts. You are more likely to get their attention on reddit or in some stream rather than official forums.

The fractal update was similar, looks like those who design or develop this game never logs in to the game.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Donari.5237" said:HOORAY https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/119348/game-update-notes-december-1-2020"Added a checkbox to the General Options tab of the Options panel to disable the Compact button in the Inventory panel."

I was really happy to see this. :)

Also it looks like it carries over your settings from the previous version, because that button was disabled for me as soon as I logged in. Now I don't have to worry about clicking ever so slightly to one side completly messing up my inventory I really like having the new button :)

@Rihar.3465 said:del@Donari.5237 was the first :c

Take heart, I was only first because I had my roof replaced today so I had to be up horribly early. Thus I was at my computer before the noon reset and ready to pounce as soon as I saw the note. I am sure you will be faster than me forever more!

Danikat, I didn't realize it was based on previous settings; I assumed it defaulted to hidden since it's much easier for someone who wants their stuff shoved through a random compacter to toggle it on than someone who doesn't to toggle it off after a rage inducing quarter of an hour fixing things from a misclick :) But hoo boy was I happy to see it grayed out in my Inventory on log in!