Blocked Access because of iranian ip

Hello everyone,

i enjoyed Gw2 a lot in recent years. it was and probably is my fv MMOrpg. i was away from the game for the past year because of my masters and now that i am back at it, i can't connect, because somehow the login process is blocked for iranian IPs. now, i own every expansion and even bought items from the store with my real money. there was nothing like this before in the game (even in the TOS and yes i read it) and i could play without any problem. if the game was blocking iranian IPs from the day 1, i would have never posted this today, but since i spent a lot of money on the game and now the game is blocking my ip, i can safely say it's not fair.

now some Companies are holding iranian IPs from accessing their "free" games but the beloved guild wars is not a full free game. please do something about it. it's not fair... and before saying "this is the law" nope, almost all of the big companies are not blocking iranian IPs (not gonna name them here because it's A.net forums and it's not polite to advertise other MMOs)

anyways, thanks for spending time and reading this. i hope someday we can all live in peace together, so nobody's left behind.

There is some sanctions (economics) and security (hackers) stuff going on between the US government and iran, which leads to IP blocks. That's not anet's fault.

Do you play on an EU server? These are in frankfurt/germany. And it is interesting that you can access the forum.

Like mentioned masking your IP can help.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@anduriell.6280 said:use a VPN to mask your IP.Those are fairly cheap .

They are. But to be fair, if as the OP stated, the whole block of IPs is being blocked for no reason, that is, he was not doing anything wrong or suspicious, in terms of hacking/botting etc and they are just mass blocking a geo region for whatever reason out of no where, then they should be held accountable to those people who have bought or paid into the game. At the very least a full refund.

Requiring someone to bypass their IP block to access the game, which adds a monthly fee to be able to play, I don't consider acceptable. If this was using a VPN to get a stable connection or less lag, or something anet has no control over...ok, fair enough, but having to pay for one JUST to be able to play because of actions that are fully in anets control? No.

To the OP, have to submitted a ticket yet? An IP block like this is not something we can help you troubleshoot, other than suggesting as above, to pay for a VPN. If you want this fixed, or a full answer, you will need to submit a ticket for a anet response, as they don't answer things here.

Thank you, no i haven't but i doubt it does something. i mean the server i connect to is in europe so it's weird that europe's server blockes iran's ip too. thanks for your attention and comment though :) and yes buying a monthly vpn only to be able to play my fv mmo? an mmo i already paid hundreds of dollars in? not fair.

@"lare.5129" said:before that post I was sure that in Iran no internet, and no any pc. It is legal to play pc games in Iran? Or it is some risk ?

hello :) thanks for you attention to this post. iran is a fairly developed country (comparing to third world countries) and there is a lot of culture and technology. you can watch some documentaries about iran on YT (pay attention to "Tehran" sections). or simply make an iranian friend online if u wanna know more. but again happy that ur mindset changed even a little :)

@KrHome.1920 said:There is some sanctions (economics) and security (hackers) stuff going on between the US government and iran, which leads to IP blocks. That's not anet's fault.

Do you play on an EU server? These are in frankfurt/germany. And it is interesting that you can access the forum.

Like mentioned masking your IP can help.

hello there :) yes i am aware of that. and yes i play on EU server cause it's closer and have better ping. thanks for your attention!

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It's odd that there are no other posts from any players in Iran.

Are you sure it's because of Iran IPs, or is there only a very, very few players there?What error message did you get?What did the CS Team have to say?

hey , there are no posts of any players because many of us had to leave this amazing game, after all sending posts would not help either :).and yes Iran IPs has blocked like 1 year ago (i don't exactly know by whom side Iran or other ports like amazon and etc... ) ,and for the other question of yours no we don't get specific errors well for me at least it's 42 section errors or some others about IPs.CS team or arenanet or even Amazon would give us no answer in this case cause i think there is nothing even they can do about it anyway , so why bother.as the other friend here commented that world turned cruel and crazy i'm 100% agree with that, we living in under shadows of some power thirsty governments that thinks of only their own benefits.like my compatriot (Redemier.1324) i too bought all the features in this game from expansion to cosmetics and so on with real money ,so how we are going to take our money back or at least save those things that we spent our money on (as the time goes on so our life ) . when we will be able to play this game again ? :)peace is a good thing but hard to achieve .

@Hannelore.8153 said:You'll need to use a VPN to access the game, and if you're on NA, you should also transfer to an EU world for lower latency, since the VPN will add a bit of latency and playing on an NA server would probably become unviable.

Yes. the VPN I use works really well. I can't choose to play from many areas. It triggers the 2 step verification with each location change. But you can have the login remember that server.

https://www.comparitech.com/privacy-security-tools/blockediniran/

It looks as if it's blocked by the Iranian government rather than the other way around.

You should definitely look at getting a VPN set up @"ElyasPeyou.8197" :)

Also, here's a list of VPNs that are confirmed working in Iran, specifically, so that should be a bit more specific to your situations :)

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/best-vpn-for-iran/

• 2 years later...

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/7528146325779-Blocked-Countries-

Blocked Countries

We appreciate your interest in Guild Wars 2. Unfortunately, the service is not available in the countries listed below. You will not be able to purchase or create an account if you reside in one of the following countries:

• Cuba
  • Donetsk People’s Republic
  • Iran
  • Luhansk People’s Republic
  • Russia
  • Syria

You can try to work around this by connecting via an IP address of a non-blocked country. But proxies and VPN services are not officially supported and sometimes VPN users have been automatically banned. Another option is to change your government to one that plays ball with Western governments but please know that this has a beyond CM difficulty level and may cost you your real-life character's life.

8 hours ago, SilentXKiller.7243 said:

hi im forum iran too...when i login in game or website guild wars 2 by any network send sms code for login but i do not receive code my phone...in the last tense i could to receive code sms but not now

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/10987018667667-Can-I-set-up-SMS-Authentication-on-my-account-

Can I set up SMS Authentication on my account?

SMS Authentication is not available in the following countries:

• Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Cambodia
  • Cuba
  • Georgia
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Moldova
  • North Korea
  • Sri Lanka
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Tajikistan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Uzbekistan
  • Vietnam

If you would like to use another method of authentication such as Google Authenticator, please visit this article on setting up the Authenticator App.

If you are located in a country that is not listed above, you will be able to set up and successfully use SMS Authentication on your account. If needed, this article will assist you with setting up SMS Authentication.

It looks like SMS authentication is also not available in Iran. Best option is to remove it. You may need to contact support to do so. You can still use an authenticator app.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 11:31 PM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/10987018667667-Can-I-set-up-SMS-Authentication-on-my-account-

It looks like SMS authentication is also not available in Iran. Best option is to remove it. You may need to contact support to do so. You can still use an authenticator app.

hi... tnx for answer.i cant login to account.arena.net because system send code phone ...so i should to say for support my problem...

On 12/8/2022 at 11:28 PM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/7528146325779-Blocked-Countries-

You can try to work around this by connecting via an IP address of a non-blocked country. But proxies and VPN services are not officially supported and sometimes VPN users have been automatically banned. Another option is to change your government to one that plays ball with Western governments but please know that this has a beyond CM difficulty level and may cost you your real-life character's life.

so if im changeing western governments...lost my level character and money?..i lost my heart of thorns and path of fire in my account too?

3 hours ago, SilentXKiller.7243 said:

so if im changeing western governments...lost my level character and money?..i lost my heart of thorns and path of fire in my account too?

You don't lose what stuff is already associated with your account.   Next time you log in to your account everything will still be there but I would contact support.guildwars2.com for more information.

5 hours ago, SilentXKiller.7243 said:

hi... tnx for answer.i cant login to account.arena.net because system send code phone ...so i should to say for support my problem...

You don't need to log into the Support site or account.arena.net to contact the CS Team.  As indicated on the Support site, you can send an email to support@arena.net to discuss any issues.

Good luck. 

On 12/9/2022 at 7:44 PM, SilentXKiller.7243 said:

If you cannot log into the support site because it also requires SMS authentication, you can contact Support via e-mail: support@arena.net

f you've run through all the troubleshooting steps above and still can't log in, please take a moment to send an email to support@arena.net for further assistance. Be sure to include the following details so we can help you as quickly and efficiently as possible:

• Account Name (your email address)
  • First and Last Name
  • The Date of Birth listed on your account
  • Your Guild Wars 2 Serial Code
  • Display Name (including the 4-digit number after the name, such as “Gamer.1234”)
  • A detailed description of your issue, including any error messages that you receive.
  • If you have made purchases through our website or the in-game Gem Store, please provide the last four digits (only the last four) of the credit or debit card that you used to make those purchases.  If you made purchases using PayPal®, please include the Order ID associated with your most recent purchase.

Ask that you want your SMS authentication removed because you cannot receive SMS messages anymore.

You will need to provide proof of ownership of your account, via proof of purchase and serial codes.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Confused 1