Salvaging Rares for Ecto don't make sense to me

Boogle.8204

It says salvage rares whos TP sell price is lower than some threshold, such as maybe 19 or 20s or so.

But like, the price of Ecto itself is pretty much the same anyway.

So it doesn't make sense to me then, cause I'm trading a guaranteed 19s for a _chance _at Ecto that's worth maybe 21s? How does that make sense?

Maybe if the threshold gap was that much bigger, something like 10s versus 21s, and the chance for Ecto higher, then it might have made sense...

All I usually get is some mithril ore. That is worth around 60c.Trade 19s for 60c? Don't make a whole lotta sense, still.Two ecto instead of 1 is even lower chance than 1 ecto, which is already low enough.

I just don't get how "calculators" like this do it? http://gw.zweistein.cz/gw2ecto/Like, how did they decide that the chance of getting ecto is worth it or not?

according to wiki: Master's and Mystic Salvage Kits yield about 0.875 ecto/rare

in case you don't need ecto and would sell it, that leads to: 2228c (buy price) 0.85 (TP fee) 0.875 (chance) - 62 (master's kit price per item) = 1592 = 15s 92cthere's then the additional chance of craftinng materials which can change a lot (hardened leather) or nothing at all (gossamer/mithril) but that depends on the type of item.

you can reverse that calculation to find the bare minimum price a rare must have to be able to beat salvaging: 1592 / 0.85 = 1872 = 18s 72c

i'd say salvaging a 19s rare item is a safe bet, salvaging a 20s rare is a different thing maybe

That advice might be a bit out of date. Prices fluctuate all the time in this game, especially for things like ectoplasm which has a lot of sources and uses. Right now it's probably selling for less because lots of people are farming the Labyrinth and getting more rares, and maybe not as many people are doing things like ecto gambling or working on legendaries which pushes the price up.

It's always a good idea to check the numbers on advice like that yourself, then you can decide what's best for you.

You also get charms and symbols so if certain ones are worth 60-70s which bumps up the one's that drop those a lil higher. I use mystic salvage and im always close to what you expect .9 ave or w/e. I do sell greatswords and a few others 27s and more type thingsAnd also even if it works out to be exactly the same it is way easier to mass salvage 200 rares and list 180 ectos once then list 200 rares individually

@"Boogle.8204" said:So it doesn't make sense to me then, cause I'm trading a guaranteed 19s for a _chance _at Ecto that's worth maybe 21s? How does that make sense?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glob_of_Ectoplasm:

Generally, salvaging rare or exotic equipment (armor, trinkets, and weapons) with a required level of 68 or higher yields between 0 and 3 Globs of Ectoplasm. While there have been reports of a Glob of Ectoplasm being produced from items with a level below 68 or a lesser quality than rare, these exceptions are few and far between. See the talk page for further discussion.

Quantity Chance0 36.75%1 47.00%2 8.25%3 8.00%

Simply put, salvaging rares gives you a higher chance at getting more than 1 ecto. On average you get 9 ecto per 10 rares (0.875 ecto/salvage), which is also reflected in the price of rares versus glob of ectoplasm.

There are several reasons for this. The most important one is that besides the ecto's it also savages in runes and materials. Also, ecto's also can be salvaged further for luck which helps to raise the magic find.

There is a lot of debate wether or not this makes sense. specially with magic find it takes time to make profit from the investment, but then again, it is also part of ocd-effects when min/max-ing

Also, a LOT of rares pass through my bag; listing each one on the TP would take forever, not to mention the listing and sales tax

On balance, I feel that using a Mystic kit to salvage ALL rares nets me more than the value of selling them, and saves me a boatload of time waiting for the TP to actually work.