Watch the trailer for The Icebrood Saga: Champions Chapter 1!

Fire Attunement.9835

@Tyson.5160 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:

The problem with invasion angles if they go in open world is that they date badly. I've never been a fan of mixing timelines in map areas.

I agree, going back to field of ruin is not an epic climax to the saga, it feels like going back to 2012 and 2012 textures, they need to add a new map during these champion chapters to finish strongly (I'm guessing they will)

Could be a new map next chapter and maybe one for chapter 4?

Maybe for the last two. But this trailer teases the upcoming episode and "future features." The future bit just shows parts of Thunderhead Peaks. So we may just wind up with 4 episodes of invasions on core maps and a few weapon models.

I really wouldn't count on a new map at this point. All the map artists have likely been moved over to the expansion and they have the old festival/current events team working on the last 4 releases.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, really liking that some of these old factions will be coming back into the spotlight.I saw a bunch of old locations in there too not just core word but also previous living living world areas as well which has me really excited.Some look different though, curious.

Main thing i'm focusing my attention on though, Is this coming before, after or at the same time as the voice over patch for the last 2 episodes?Not all of us are up to date on the story.As i've said many times, if I have to miss out on the release of another new episode i'm going to be pretty kittened off.. specially since the voice patch was promised to be priority after the fractal.If the new episode comes first then that was just a big lie.

@Teratus.2859 said:Interesting, really liking that some of these old factions will be coming back into the spotlight.I saw a bunch of old locations in there too not just core word but also previous living living world areas as well which has me really excited.Some look different though, curious.

Main thing i'm focusing my attention on though, Is this coming before, after or at the same time as the voice over patch for the last 2 episodes?Not all of us are up to date on the story.As i've said many times, if I have to miss out on the release of another new episode i'm going to be pretty kittened off.. specially since the voice patch was promised to be priority after the fractal.If the new episode comes first then that was just a big lie.

VA for last 2 episodes comes on the same day as the new content

@"Randulf.7614" said:Is there a new map in those screenshots? I couldn't quite tell, although I thought I spotted areas I didn't recognise

Surely it's not just a bit of story and some invasions. That would be... disappointing

There isn't a new map, I recognised all of those areas (with the possible exception of the area Taimi is sitting in) if there was a new map they'd have said it. Yeah, looks like a bit of story and some repeatable wave defense invasions with a choice of NPCs to bring with you. So yeah, looks like it'll be disappointing.

Another version of the Stormcaller weapons, so that's why they removed Stormcaller weapons as a requirement for crafting the Charged Stormcaller weapons. Super, even more Amalgamated Draconic Lodestones to grind out. I'm sure the Dragon Slayer weapons will be much the same. Grind, grind.

From https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-17-2020/Join other players to train and equip the Order of the Crystal Bloom during the first global faction mobilization event. You’ll earn rewards for your efforts, and faction members can join your Dragon Response Missions to bolster your defenses and healing. Word is sure to spread, so be alert for other factions ready to join the cause.

Hmmm... train and equip? How? Donate materials while a progress bar updates in the top Right of the screen like the Fractal Rush? Get to Tier 5 and unlock Ebon Vanguard?

We'll see in a week but this is not exciting me. Probably because this Saga has been so heavy on the grind.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:Interesting, really liking that some of these old factions will be coming back into the spotlight.I saw a bunch of old locations in there too not just core word but also previous living living world areas as well which has me really excited.Some look different though, curious.

VA for last 2 episodes comes on the same day as the new content

Shame it's not sooner if the patch is good to go already.Would at least give us a chance to catch up since we've two whole episodes of story, achievements, events, rewards etc to catch up on.Providing the content is even playable.. game is still having issues for many on newer content.

I really hope the game doesn't act up when the patch drops, I fear it will but god I hope it doesn't.. I have so little patience left at this point xD

Thanks for the heads up though, I was confused by the way they worded it on the post.Kinda sounded like it was already in the game but it isn't so it got confusing.

YES Rata Sum BURN BUURRRRNNN!!!! Those poor rats were burnt alive underground, and now they gonna got burnt on the surface! Story repeat itself! :DI'm very excited regarding destroyer assaults, can't tell how long I wanted to see destroyer in asura maps. It reminds me the invasion of LS1 and so I'm very impatient.No doubt it is really easy to erupt lave from the golem mines of rata sum and makes destroyer coming out of all those caverns. Very curious about seeing their defense system. But if they just strikes back by only using mark I or mark II golems will be disapointed. WHERE THE INQUEST WITH THEIR EXTERMINATOR, CENTURIONS, PHALANX AND BALLISTAS MARKS WHEN WE NEED THEM??!! SEND DERV SQUADS!Good thing they reused that forgotten cool Gorr's lab to track the primordius minions! Anyway, if things gets hot, let's retreat to keto's lab at the lower floor.

GONNA BE THERE FOR THAT VOLCANIC STORMCALLER WEAPONS! I swear it to the eternal alchemy. :oIt is is time to bring back on the front all our allies put on shelves: Orders, Awakened, Olmakhans, Personnal story helped race, Dwarves, Tengus, Kodans, Crystal Blooms, Dredges of deldrimor, the 5 main races high representant and councilors; time to fight! :oBut i hope, to see EVOLVED destroyers everywhere, not the same common models, that I saw since the launch in 2013.But no news from almorra's death, I'm very sad that such a good character was wasted.

*Wink I was right, Ryland and Bangar gonna help us fighting those fire minions! ;)

But i'm bothered. I hope Primordius kills Jormag and go away. Because Primordius deserves it's own season with asura underground city and more dwarves. And not to be rushed in 4 pour chapters!!!

More weapon skins in a game that is already overflowing with skins. If you are going to tell a story, you need to do it properly. We should not be jumping from one event to another this quickly. Give us closure. There is zero closure in this saga. No indication of what happened to the vigil after Almorra's death, we have no idea what happened to the iron legion with Smodur's death. No conclusion to the Charr civil war, no shift in the balance of power in Ascalon or the legions. Also, are the Kodan okay up in Bjora's Marches? Who knows and who cares right, gotto push out the next episode and give us all some shiny new skins. Is this saga about the Norn, the Charr, Jormag or Promordius? Putting them all together makes it feels very rushed and incomplete. Also are the vigil, the order of whispers and the priory in the alliance?

Not excited about playing this new episode. Shiny new items should not be the main content of a new episode. The story and exploration should be the draw, and with the current state of the story, that does not look to be the case. With no updates in WvW, PvP and now with PvE episodes getting skins as content, I think this game is on a slow trajectory downward.

ANET has a new shinny object to look at (Expansion 3) and they have left Living World Season 5 in the dust. This is just a rehash of old content. Portal opens. Enemies come out, Kill enemies, Portal closes. This is disappointing considering how excited I was about a dark and Lovecraft'ish story for the Saga. It started strong and now its fizzled out. You have forgotten about strike missions, visions, and maps. This looks like you planned story to coincide with the Steam release in order to get more current players into old maps to make them look more populated as new players came into the game from steam. Not wasting my time with the rest of this Living world, Ill see you in Expansion 3.... hope you make it epic! because only having 5 new maps wont cut it, lack of map wide META's on maps wont cut it, not having a new playable race wont cut it, the bar and expectations are high. I know you can do it. See you in a year.

@"Tazer.2157" said:No indication of what happened to the vigil after Almorra's deathNothing. It would be like if the President was killed. It would be a big news story, but any even remotely large organization has a system to quickly replace leaders if they die. Jhavi took over as Commander of Jora's Keep, and temporary leader of the Vigil, since Laranthir, the normal second in command, is taking a leave of absence in the Grove.we have no idea what happened to the iron legion with Smodur's deathEfrahm very temporarily took over leading the Iron Legion troops in Drizzlewood, until the end of the war. The Untied Legions sent people to find Mia Kindleshot to inform her she was the next Imperator.No conclusion to the Charr civil warWe literally had a conclusion in the last episode. The United Legions marched on northern Drizzlewood, took down Bangar's forces, destroyed his Frost Citadel, and then captured Bangar himself. Its over. They spent the last few moths cleaning up stragglers, and we spent the time questioning Bangar.no shift in the balance of power in Ascalon or the legionsWhy would this happen? Neither Flame, Blood, Iron, or Ash, is going to try to trample on each other any time soon after they just fought Bangar to stop him from doing just that. That would just be them making the same mistake they just got done fighting.Also, are the Kodan okay up in Bjora's Marches?This was already covered back in episode 2. If you complete the meta achievement(meaning you solved pretty much all the problem up there) Dialog changes in the Kodan village talking about people coming back with their "voices" still intact, and generally things getting better.Also are the vigil, the order of whispers and the priory in the alliance?All three of them are part of the Pact, the main force fighting the dragons. So yes.

All of this has been covered in the currently released episodes.

@"Teratus.2859" said:Interesting, really liking that some of these old factions will be coming back into the spotlight.I saw a bunch of old locations in there too not just core word but also previous living living world areas as well which has me really excited.Some look different though, curious.

On October 27, it was announced that the 2 Episodes lacking voice-overs would be released (again) on November 17th.

The members of Guild Wars 2‘s intrepid voice cast are now able to provide recordings remotely, and we’ll update “No Quarter” and “Jormag Rising” with voice acting when The Icebrood Saga: Champions begins on November 17. These two episodes were impacted by COVID-19 health precautions, and we appreciate your understanding and support as we work to keep our staff and voice talent safe.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-icebrood-saga-champions/

Pretty lame. I am super saddened that Anet has downgraded their efforts to this. and no, giving excuses that expansion gets top priority is not enough. Its year away. What are we supposed to do till then?

On positive note I am glad that they shelved Steam release. Flood of facts in reviews would have ruined it instantly.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Tazer.2157 said:No indication of what happened to the vigil after Almorra's deathNothing. It would be like if the President was killed. It would be a big news story, but any even remotely large organization has a system to quickly replace leaders if they die. Jhavi took over as Commander of Jora's Keep, and temporary leader of the Vigil, since Laranthir, the normal second in command, is taking a leave of absence in the Grove.

Is there a consensus about in-game time being about the same as IRL or is it different per update? Has it literally been months or only a few days/hourssince the Ice Citadel fell?... Even though it took many weeks between Bangar talking was that the same amount of time too or a shorter intervel? If this has all occured within a few days or weeks then it makes sense that some lore related events are taking place I guess as we speak and we will find out during Champions?

On the plus side, the trailer is well made and it's nice to have voice acting again.

Well... This entire "saga" (minus prolog) has felt like minimum effort, so why am I even disappointed right now? I always thought LS1/2 was the lowest point of the story. And maybe it still is. However, in the meantime we all got to see how amazing Anet's storytelling can be and how creative the teams can get with the game's resources. I suppose that's the major difference now. In LS2 we had not seen that potential yet. Now we have. So it is more disappointing now to get just... that.What happened to Visions of the Past? Wasn't there supposed to be another one of those in between episodes?

I really hope this trailer was either holding back a lot, or this chapter 1 is really just a sort of teaser for the finale and the rest gets more substantial. Btw, weapon skin collections are not really content.

Still hoping for the best.

@"HotDelirium.7984" said:Is there a consensus about in-game time being about the same as IRL or is it different per update? Has it literally been months or only a few days/hourssince the Ice Citadel fell?... Even though it took many weeks between Bangar talking was that the same amount of time too or a shorter intervel? If this has all occured within a few days or weeks then it makes sense that some lore related events are taking place I guess as we speak and we will find out during Champions?In-game time passes in roughly the same length as real life time does. Jormag has even mentioned it been "months" since its awakening in one of the covnersations with Bangar as part of the "confer with Bangar" achievement.

Nice to see that Primordus will be involved in the story from now. Something that many predicted would happen at some point, but I'm interested to see exactly what kind of roles Primordus and Jormag will have in the story and how this will lead up to the story in the End of Dragons expansion and beyond.

@"Bast.7253" said:Maybe for the last two. But this trailer teases the upcoming episode and "future features." The future bit just shows parts of Thunderhead Peaks. So we may just wind up with 4 episodes of invasions on core maps and a few weapon models.

Maybe the "future features" bit is going to release in between Chapters 1 and 2? They said the Chapters will become more fleshed out with new stuff in-between main releases.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"HotDelirium.7984" said:Is there a consensus about in-game time being about the same as IRL or is it different per update? Has it literally been months or only a few days/hourssince the Ice Citadel fell?... Even though it took many weeks between Bangar talking was that the same amount of time too or a shorter intervel? If this has all occured within a few days or weeks then it makes sense that some lore related events are taking place I guess as we speak and we will find out during Champions?In-game time passes in roughly the same length as real life time does. Jormag has even mentioned it been "months" since its awakening in one of the covnersations with Bangar as part of the "confer with Bangar" achievement.

That is unfortunate because the lore is just WAITING to be addressed.... vigil? kodan? Laranthir? Taimi still dying? Pale Tree on the floor? Glint? Mist wardens? Charr?

Ill take walls of text at this point...

@Perihen the Thawk.9527 said:

@"Bast.7253" said:Maybe for the last two. But this trailer teases the upcoming episode and "future features." The future bit just shows parts of Thunderhead Peaks. So we may just wind up with 4 episodes of invasions on core maps and a few weapon models.

Maybe the "future features" bit is going to release in between Chapters 1 and 2? They said the Chapters will become more fleshed out with new stuff in-between main releases.

A defense mechanism as pessimism lightens the blow from disappointment and its usually a go-to for reactions, unfortunately. We shall see what becomes of this content!

@"HotDelirium.7984" said:That is unfortunate because the lore is just WAITING to be addressed.... vigil? kodan? Laranthir? Taimi still dying? Pale Tree on the floor? Glint? Mist wardens? Charr?What about most of this still needs addressing?

• Jhavi has taken over leadership of the Vigil while Laranthir is on his leave in The Grove.
  • The death of Drakkar, and all the other stuff we do in Bjora, means the Kodan are no longer troubled.(we also see Kodan allies in the trailer so they are sending people to help us)
  • Taimi is still dying slowly.
  • We healed the Pale Tree shortly after HoT, which is what the "Knight of thorn" side story achievements were all about.
  • Glint and the Mist Wardens are still dead, and Jormag hasn't been attacking/eating the Mists, so they haven't had to do anything yet.
  • The Charr are exactly where they were last time we saw them.

All of this stuff has been answered already.

It is a little disappointing there is no new map because that’s what we’re used to, but that doesn’t mean we won’t get a new map in chapter 2, 3, or 4. All 4 chapters are part of the same episode, Champions, so it could be these invasion missions are the first parts of what’s to come, and we have to figure out where we are heading for the final battle.