Watch the trailer for The Icebrood Saga: Champions Chapter 1!

Fire Attunement.9835

Reading the comments here, that's what I thought to when I saw the trailer. Wheres the new map? All I saw were older areas. I do like them but I was hoping for a new map to explore. Well I hope there will be lots of achiements I'm trying to get to 30K :D Need 1,350 more towards full Hellfire armor :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Dark Red Killian.3946" said:It is a little disappointing there is no new map because that’s what we’re used to, but that doesn’t mean we won’t get a new map in chapter 2, 3, or 4. All 4 chapters are part of the same episode, Champions, so it could be these invasion missions are the first parts of what’s to come, and we have to figure out where we are heading for the final battle.

The teaser in the second half of the trailer shows bits and pieces of living story maps as "future" content. So, I'm assuming 1 and 2 are spoken for at the very least.

We COULD theoretically get 3 and 4 with their own map providing a bit better conclusion to the saga, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm pretty sure they moved all the artists over to the expansion, as well as the balance team, and pretty much everyone they could. Even the destroyer models in this trailer are old and they're not even using the vine-touched/death-touched destroyers or whatever that we saw in Living Season 3. Now we've had yet another elder dragon die and they could have had the chance to update the models to reflect Primordus' augmented power from Kralk's death. But instead, we get vanilla destroyer models.

It's most likely going to be 6 months+ of current event style invasion events with the big shiny being new grindable skins thrown in here and there.I'm assuming the part with Taimi is a story instance but I really wouldn't be surprised to see those mostly cut as well.

My big thing is that WvW is the content that keeps people that do it playing between each living world release. Although they have soured that to the point that its no longer fun. Plus as far as expansions go with rev specifically the Renegade legend Kalla has been out so long now but no effort has been made to try to make that content playable outside of pve. To be honest with everything that has been going on especially with communications blackout and not knowing any kind of status of where things currently stand putting that altogether I don't see why I would feel inclined to buy an expansion if a large part of what you are paying and playing for isn't going to be delivered I'll have to pass on all of this. Then the rest of things I found fun to play were intentionally over tuned just to end up being made useless so a couple of little trailers we've seen aren't going to cut it.

@"Vavume.8065" said:1) Re used weapon skin2) Re used maps (Fields of ruin with terrible textures)

Agreed. But the latter doesn't have to be a bad thing. I like those places shown in the trailer. :)

3) Tengu head feathers look a bit customized (if they become a playable race I will uninstall)

???

The Tengu are one of the coolest races on Tyria...

4) Dwarves as allies ( if they become a playable race I will the buy the expansion)

We saw only Ogden in the trailer, no other dwarves.

6) Still no mention of new legendary weapons.

Didn't they say a long time ago that there won't be any more legendary weapon sets?

7) The worlds invaded, Feels like a reskin of season 1. (They couldnt bring back S1, so reskinned it to S5) feels like dejavu...

Well, yeah, that might not be something new per se. But it's always the execution that decides over the quality of a story arc. So no premature judgment from me at this point, although I hope that fighting destroyers and other minions of Primordus won't be the "highlight" of this season.

Also, for a second I read "New dragons response minions" and was happy and thought about being able to make a squad of allies and make them follow you like in jahai. And so imagining fighting with the beam golem but then I reread I saw "missions" and was disapointed and sad.

Another hand: I spotted strange destroyers with necrotic auras. Is it possible they got zhaithan magic boost?And yeah after reading everything above, disapointed to not see an underground map, when we speak about destroyers...

@"lare.5129" said:

Still no mention of new legendary weapons.mention new leg wep? It can be permited only that person have ALL previous. Don't think that we have a lot who can say "I need more"

We have a lot of black lion weapons, that does not mean people do not want more or that they should stop producing them, same goes for legendary weapons.

@Reverielle.3972 said:Seems interesting, I'm looking forward to it. I'm not enjoying the Drizzlewood and it's meta-or-nothing style, so I'm hoping things will be different in future.

The meta or nothing style doesn't bother me much. It's just soooo long. Adding a meta to extend the first meta was a mistake imo. I hope they don't ever do a meta that long again.

CqxrvIU.jpgConsidering the fact you have vine-death touched destroyers in ember bay and draconic mons, I've established that map of draconic magics release. Each radius is perimeter is established from the dead corpse of the corresponding dragon in the center.

It explains several things:-Primordy was in mordremoth magic release and zhaithan release magic, and you see on my map that draconic mons is in both circle and so is the case for ember bay.-It explains why I spotted death/vine destroyers in caledon forrest and rata sum: Both received also mordry and zhaity magic release after their deaths, and those magics burst surely passed through the underground as a massive magical shockwave corrupting the destroyers.-But, when exposed to two draconic energies in same time, the organism pick randomly one or another: That's why you have vine-touched destroyer crabs but also death-touched destroyer harpies. But you can't have as example, a vine-death touched destroyer troll.-Technically Jormag got 0 boosts from any dragon death. And the fact is travel through mist is non-sense, due to the magical release radius. And i prefer to believe that jormag instore a giant heavy snow and fog storm when appearing making in impossible to spot it. To explain, i prefer to think that jormag always had the mist ability, since the personnal story, savanirs are roaming in the mists and summoning portals.-Sbubbles and primordius (if moving to the east) would have been exposed to kralkatorrik power too, giving the possibility to create electrical storm in addition of manipulating the water or fire. But also creating mist portals.-BUT again, it is stated in the trailer, that the three first areas with destroyers erruptions are metrica province, brisban wildlands and gendarran fields.AND so, if primordius was moving toward the north since LS3 draconic mons, it has avoided kralkatorrik magic and so can't make mist portals.

It's interesting to note that the circle of zhaithan and mordremoth cover their domains but also their magic release after death.Kralky is a special turbulent snowflake, it was originally in the north-east harassing the charrs and sentinels. If, like others, it would have been killed here, Jormag would had undergone magic boost from it. Just, the circles may be a little bigger, considering there is death-destroyer in brisban sylvaris encampments at the east.

Also at 0:25 of the trailer I perfectly spotted the two councillors near Taimi, it's Zudo and Yahk. Dean of College of dynamics and Inquest. I feel it is appropriate, Zudo, part of a college based on pushing asura magitechnology to its best and learning from experimenting, and inquest having incredible fundings, experiments result for only studying dragon minions and their functions during 8 years now and a base everywhere. (Without adding the fact, they are the only ones who created two hybrids using draconic energies, subject Alpha and Beta).

@"hugo.4705" said:CqxrvIU.jpgConsidering the fact you have vine-death touched destroyers in ember bay and draconic mons, I've established that map of draconic magics release. Each radius is perimeter is established from the dead corpse of the corresponding dragon in the center.

It explains several things:-Primordy was in mordremoth magic release and zhaithan release magic, and you see on my map that draconic mons is in both circle and so is the case for ember bay.-It explains why I spotted death/vine destroyers in caledon forrest and rata sum: Both received also mordry and zhaity magic release after their deaths, and those magics burst surely passed through the underground as a massive magical shockwave corrupting the destroyers.-But, when exposed to two draconic energies in same time, the organism pick randomly one or another: That's why you have vine-touched destroyer crabs but also death-touched destroyer harpies. But you can't have as example, a vine-death touched destroyer troll.-Technically Jormag got 0 boosts from any dragon death. And the fact is travel through mist is non-sense, due to the magical release radius. And i prefer to believe that jormag instore a giant heavy snow and fog storm when appearing making in impossible to spot it. To explain, i prefer to think that jormag always had the mist ability, since the personnal story, savanirs are roaming in the mists and summoning portals.-Sbubbles and primordius (if moving to the east) would have been exposed to kralkatorrik power too, giving the possibility to create electrical storm in addition of manipulating the water or fire. But also creating mist portals.-BUT again, it is stated in the trailer, that the three first areas with destroyers erruptions are metrica province, brisban wildlands and gendarran fields.AND so, if primordius was moving toward the north since LS3 draconic mons, it has avoided kralkatorrik magic and so can't make mist portals.

It's interesting to note that the circle of zhaithan and mordremoth cover their domains but also their magic release after death.Kralky is a special turbulent snowflake, it was originally in the north-east harassing the charrs and sentinels. If, like others, it would have been killed here, Jormag would had undergone magic boost from it. Just, the circles may be a little bigger, considering there is death-destroyer in brisban sylvaris encampments at the east.

Also at 0:25 of the trailer I perfectly spotted the two councillors near Taimi, it's Zudo and Yahk. Dean of College of dynamics and Inquest. I feel it is appropriate, Zudo, part of a college based on pushing asura magitechnology to its best and learning from experimenting, and inquest having incredible fundings, experiments result for only studying dragon minions and their functions during 8 years now and a base everywhere. (Without adding the fact, they are the only ones who created two hybrids using draconic energies, subject Alpha and Beta).

You do have to remember that Primordus moved to that area long after Zhaitans death and a while after Mordy died. He was much further north - close to where we saw him in GW1 in fact (under Frostgorge) as we saw from the current events release where we tracked his passage SW through Tyria until he reached the Fire Island in the middle of Season 3. Basically Primordus wasn't anywhere near those two specific circles when they died.

Jormag was confirmed to receive magic from Mordy (and thus Zhaitan) in LS3E3 via leylines and the devs confirmed later in a sep article that Jormag had taken up some of Kralks magic too.

Most of Zhaitans magic was absorbed by Mordremoth and Tequatl (as explained in LS1) and eventually it made its way to Primordus and Jormag further North - esp after Mordys death

He was however close by Kralk since he fell dromant under Draconis Mons and hasn't stirred since (until now)

@"hugo.4705" said:CqxrvIU.jpgConsidering the fact you have vine-death touched destroyers in ember bay and draconic mons, I've established that map of draconic magics release. Each radius is perimeter is established from the dead corpse of the corresponding dragon in the center.

The dead dragons magic course through the ley lines, so it explains how Jormag received the other dragon’s spheres of influence as well, however to lesser degrees, since Taimi advised that proximity matters. Primordus physically moved to some of the Ley live hot spots to absorb the magic left by Zhaitan and Mordremoth. Much like adding water to a river system. Would also explain how Jormag obtained Kralkatorrik and Balthazar’s magic as well since these energies likely made it’s way into the ley line streams, most likely in smaller doses, since Aurene and Kralkatorrik absorbed most of Balthazar’s magic, as well as when Kralkatorrik kicked the bucket as well.

@Zok.4956 said:

@lare.5129 said:Also good that Tyrian players without exp will see some people who go so deeper xD

Yeah, I guess new (low level) players will be totally happy about not being able to tag events/bosses because fully-geared level 80 player zergs rush the events/bosses. or not?this is also will be cool, but how I understand they will we only us near some gates/instance, and that all. No, no, I hope they will be not happy, hope they unhappy. This is more stronger feeling. This is best sweet to show some road, that you can't cross without pass.

Did I miss something or does the last chapter still not have voice acting? Because I'm still waiting for that before I do it, haven't stepped a foot in Drizzlewood.

@Randulf.7614 said:The problem with invasion angles if they go in open world is that they date badly. I've never been a fan of mixing timelines in map areas.

Totally agree. I only started playing like 3 years ago and those toxic krait thingy things which were apparently part of LWS1 were just... confusing. Imagine you're a new player now and not only have those, but also the Awakened invasions, and now a third kind? Ehh...

@"Taylan.2187" said:Totally agree. I only started playing like 3 years ago and those toxic krait thingy things which were apparently part of LWS1 were just... confusing. Imagine you're a new player now and not only have those, but also the Awakened invasions, and now a third kind? Ehh...

I believe the "dragon response missions" will be instanced content, as they're being built for solo play or up to 5 players (with scaling). I don't believe you'll have to worry about timeline mixing for this.