Tengu could be a useable races on EOD

@"voltaicbore.8012" said:Yeah I really, really don't get why Tengu are so hyped in terms of potential playable race. I just have no clue of why they have such great appeal for so many on the forums. I don't think it's going to happen.

All I want is to be able to visit the Dominion of Winds and the Wizard's Tower someday. Where the devs take the story outside of that... eh, I don't really care.

Because they're honorable samurai birbs and that tickles the "aficionados of japanese culture".

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@firedragon.8953 said:

@"lokh.2695" said:

Because they're honorable samurai birbs and that tickles the "aficionados of japanese culture".

Just remember that in Japanese culture, although all birds may be tengu (not really), all tengu are not birds. Be careful what you wish for people....unless you want some pinocchio cosplay.

vV7B6Vc.jpg9aQK1u6.jpg

If they did Tengu in GW2, they would most likely stick to the GW2 depiction of Tengu.

That being said, "aficionados of japanese culture" usually don't care about the reality of said culture and have a rather superficial aproach to it, reducing it to anime, westernizations and memes.

@"lokh.2695" said:That being said, "aficionados of japanese culture" usually don't care about the reality of said culture and have a rather superficial aproach to it, reducing it to anime, westernizations and memes.

True.

Buuutt...maybe Canthan Tengu evolved into more human (long nosed) Tengu to conceal themselves from the Ministry of Purity? And the expac will give players Canthan Tengu as a new playable race. lol(Sorry, I'm just trying to have some fun with an over-discussed topic. Anet please do not do this. haha.)

@theoneparttwo.9561 said:No. Non. Nope. Nein. Nyet. Never. Nuh-uh.

There are a million and a half reasons why it won't happen, and continuing to beat that dead horse is likely what led us to having that malformed Pegasus skin for the Griffon. The devs used a group of necromancers to reanimate the desecrated corpse of said dead horse and sold it in the gem shop. Please, for the sake of the malformed Pegasus, just stop already with these posts! ( :tongue: )

I do not expect Tengu as playable race, but they are the only race, beside the ones already playable that has:

• City in core Terria.
  • City is bordering a starter zone.
  • Already established models.

The infrastructure is there, but it requires investment. And I would not say never, since as other posted, things that others said will never come to GW2, like mounts, have been implemented in the game.

I want both Tengu and Skritt, especially as a huge bird and rodent lover!I don't think that it's impossible for them to add a new race. There's always a way to bypass the 'obstacles' which are home instance, personal story etc.EoD could even revamp or add a new zone specifically as a tengu starter zone.The race itself could have a totally different playable experience and zone, meaning they won't be able to do the old Tyrian story, unless they speak to NPC to bring them back to past timeline which can transform them into any of the core races, to witness these events.I mean WoW pretty much changes an entire zone and offers you an NPC to switch timeline and see how old zone looked.

It's possible and more than doable.It's just some people having a grudge against new races for no reason whatsoever.Let people enjoy things. An avian or rodent race would be a breath of fresh air. Not everyone enjoys playing different flavors of human or an oversized chunky cat.

@"JUN YANG.4328" said:base on the new trailer. anet given multiple "looks" "colour" of Tengu. i think it will be big chance, Tengu is the next useable races on EOD. and share the outfit/ layout with charr.

Nah. They showed Dwarves first. It’s gonna be Dwarf 100% because we need a shorter race option. We already have 2 large races, 2 medium races, and there is only 1 small race currently.

Dwarf is where it’s at, so forgot about tengu stuff. And we definitely don’t need them unsanitary bird-thing-creatures poopin’ all over the place either.

It's possible but in order for it to happen they would need to re-record all Voice Acting which would be a huge task if you want them to sound different, Remake all armors and Outfits since there's no way around the headpieces and somehow work them into the personal story.Sadly I don't think the sheer amount of work that would take would be worth adding the race into the game. I'd expect a humanoid race that could reuse Voice acting, armors and work into the personal story to come first, like Largos or Dwarves if they could reuse asura items without issue.

It can be an option. I still think next expac should introduce a secondary character companion, like a hero that you can equip with its own gear and profession. You can swap to them outside of combat to play as them. They could have Tengu, or any other playable race they want to add. You get your glamour wars for new races, anet gets profit off the outfits people buy, there you go.

Thanks for the various responses on the appeal of Tengu for some players. I'm playing through GW1 now, but I haven't reached anything that has any Tengu in it yet, so all I know of them are what little we've seen in GW2. If they're a fleshed out race in GW1 that has strong samurai/bushi/general Japanese undertones outside of just their naming, I could see why fanboys/fangirls/fan..persons would get really into them. As an Asian myself with more than a passing familiarity with Japanese history, eh. I'm not particularly excited by anyone's representation of East Asian cultures, and ANet and their Tengu are no exception.

I do think it would be far less work than some make it sound like, to add new playable races. Sure, there's all the modeling and graphical stuff, but I think that could get done with a modest amount of discipline and elbow grease. As for personal story, a new race that wouldn't fit with the tone of the existing core personal stories would have to get their own very different personal stories, and perhaps might even skip the Zhaitan fight. I'd be open to that amount of deviation.

@Dark Red Killian.3946 said:It can be an option. I still think next expac should introduce a secondary character companion, like a hero that you can equip with its own gear and profession. You can swap to them outside of combat to play as them. They could have Tengu, or any other playable race they want to add. You get your glamour wars for new races, anet gets profit off the outfits people buy, there you go.

Why would we need heroes? It's an MMO.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Dark Red Killian.3946 said:It can be an option. I still think next expac should introduce a secondary character companion, like a hero that you can equip with its own gear and profession. You can swap to them outside of combat to play as them. They could have Tengu, or any other playable race they want to add. You get your glamour wars for new races, anet gets profit off the outfits people buy, there you go.

I guess you never played Star wars the old republic... it is an MMO and it has companion characters.

@Vavume.8065 said:

I guess you never played Star wars the old republic... it is an MMO and it has companion characters.

I remember that 3 manning all the dungeons with 2dps 1 healer and my companion as tank.

This is not about how easy it is for anet, this is about they want to add it or not.

Stop thinking "it's impossible, it's too hard work for them blablableh". If they want to put a new race, they'll put a new race.

Imo, this is so ez for them to start EoD and Cantha's Journey with an empire of wind capital with Tengu as a new race and a special treatment for them of the new story as main Tengu story. They could forget about every other content (ofc, Tengus weren't there) and armor set we had in the past and focus on new one. No big deal. We'll see, I hope we'll get something like that.

I am convinced that they are teasing us with these colourful Tengu as a preview for how customizable they'll be in character creator.All the Tengu in the core game were brown/greyish with not much color.

The first Tengu that caught my attention was in Drizzlewood coast, the one you do Etchings of weapons for. He was green and stood out much more than core tengu.Now the latest trailer has me convinced :grin:

I am also very curious to meet a female tengu! So far all of them have been male.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Ok Heroes was a bad comparison. It would be an alternate character you are able to swap to at a push of a button, with its own stats, race, weapons, armor, etc. your main character takes a bench, and you control the alt character.

@"kharmin.7683" said:

No big deal to you, perhaps, but I can imagine a lot of players complaining about not having their Tengu able to be represented by past content.

I imagine past content could be playable via "scrying pool method" or something of that nature. I can't imagine them being able to integrate the Tengu that far back into the commander storyline without major story problems. If they were to add them as playable that is. They could just seperate Tengu players as a seperate playable story line from the commander. No idea if that would be well received.