How did you choose your main?

whoknocks.4935

I focused on what type of skills i enjoy using. Since i love versatility and utility i enjoyed guardians, eles, rangers and revenants. Classes such as thieves did not come to my mind.Next i asked my self if i would ever want to go trough a crafting journey for a cool looking legendary weapon with my main, for my main. I liked eternity and howler so normally i went with guardian and ranger.

But in the end i went for revenant.

I had many mains.I went norn guardian cause i loved the blue theme, the versatility of the class and the possibility of crafting legendary eternity with and for my mainThen i went ele cause i loved even more versatility, i loved all those elemental storms ,long range pulsing aoes and meteor showersThen i went ranger cause i enjoyed thematical versatility (has all sorts of different utility and each weapon can be used in a different environment) , i enjoyed the pet collection , how i could RP as a explorer for T.E.S. before doing any story at all as well as the possibility to craft legendary howler.

In the end i mained a revenant.It has lots of versatility and the traits make it so you get TONS of free stats such as critical hits, lots of condi duration and damage, damage mitigation, improved healing and boon duration.It has a bunch of achievements tied to the class so i can get a full set, as well as some hidden cool weapon sets.

• 2 weeks later...

I technically have 3 mains, cause I have a problem ;w;But I guess my first/oldest character I chose Thief cause I had a love for assassin-type classes at the time, and as a Sylvari cause I LOVED the idea of a plant-like race instead of the traditional fantasy elves (and now I have 12 sylvari).I rotate between this thief, now a Deadeye (I LOVE the whole sniper aesthetic), my Weaver (I just love how Weaver plays, it's so fun and fast paced) and my Mirage (basically a clone of my FFXIV main) because I always find stuff to do on those characters specifically.I mostly PVP/do openworld/WvW in here, I'm not sure which character I'd pick for RP, of if I'd even do it in GW2 at all... @ -@

I have switched mains many times over the years, but I tend to do pros and cons list of the classes and see what I really want. Right now, for the first time ever, I'm trying to stick with mesmer. Although my longest mains (in order) were: Engineer -> Elementalist -> Thief -> Warrior -> Revenant -> Mes (only a few days so far, so we'll see. haha)

I mostly hop around between Ele, Rev, Thief these days. But I've been looking for something fun in open world, flexible with good support options, good mobility, and enjoyable in PvP/WvW roaming too. I narrowed it down to Ele or Mes, and since I never really got into Mes, and with so many story chapters to do now, I was hoping to try it out and see if it would stick. Otherwise, I'll be back on the Ele, Rev or Thief.

I just find Thief gets boring in PvE (open world), and Rev gets repetitive after a while with limited build customization. Which is why ele pulled ahead with mesmer, since they are more flexible and less repetitive in open world.

These days I play:60% Open World/Story30% PvP10% WvW Roaming

• 2 weeks later...

It honestly took me years to come up with what, in my mind, was my perfect main: asura guardian. I am still working on doing all the stories and map completions on this character. (Took me 8 years of continuous changes and story scattered all over my ALTs and characters that aren't even there anymore.)One of the main causes of my indecision has always been roleplay (not in game), that influence my preferences and decisions in GW2 as well, thus most of the time, my characters in game are representations of my roleplay characters. ^^

• Like 1

I've always loved ranged classes, so I chose Ranger to start out with. Stuck through it with the horrors of at launch Orr (where the pet grabbed aggro by existing) that had double the amount of mobs it has now, all of LS1, and up until HoT. Once I got in Heart of Thorns though...I was basically destroyed by enemies I wanted nothing to do with and ended up dropping it for a good long time for Thief/Daredevil, whose stealth and evasion helped me survive at launch HoT and LS3 and PoF. I recently got into raiding, and picked up my Ranger again who is now serving as a Druid and healer for my raid group, so I'm happy I'm playing him again. I still play my Daredevil for the story and open world stuff though.

When i first started playing my main was a human ranger, i chose it because i had the same name as my gw1 character. I liked to think it was his descendent. Then when heart of thorns came out i played a lot of Revenant.

Nowadays my human warrior is my main, it had a name that is similiar to my ranger.

I have always liked pets (for the flavor of variety and the idea of dual-tag-team) and sniper gameplay. Ranger was the natural extension after my like for the grew in GW1.

Thief is an evolution of assassin, also one of my favorite professions from GW1. I knew I wanted something different, and thief's gameplay is - particularly in pvp - unlike any other class. It looks and feels badass.

Having played Necro almost religiously in GW1, that's what I was most excited for, and VERY pleased when the early trailers showed off the Life Siphon ability. Though to be fair, what made certain I was getting GW2 was playable Charr.

However, during the initial missions -- and largely because of axe -- I suddenly felt that it just wasn't going to work out for me. At least, not in the way they'd implemented combat (I was not part of the betas, so it was entirely new to me).

Mesmer was the second option I'd poked at, but it didn't really "feel right" for me, either.

On a whim I picked Thief as the next thing that seemed interesting enough for a first character (despite really NOT liking Assassin in GW1), and instantly enjoyed the oddly frenetic playstyle of the initiative system. I've kept with the profession ever since.

(My other characters, in approximate order, are: a Warrior, a Mesmer, a Guardian, and a Necromancer (reaper), who surprisingly bears the name of the one I played in GW1)

@whoknocks.4935 said:Is it the first profession you made or trying different profession during your playtime made you switch your main?

The latter. I created a Necromancer, a Ranger and a Thief back in 2012, but my human Guardian has become my main character over the years. <3

The insane burst damage, the high self-sustain, the flexibility and the high mobility are the main reasons. Plus, he is so good looking! :lol:

• 5 months later...

First by role or class you most want to play.
Then by the armour sets you think you can assemble.
Followed by what weapons you think is cool and used.
That how I determine my main-main. Some people put it as their strongest toon.

That being said there can also be more then one mains. Like I can have 3 mains in dps, 3 mains in condi, 3 mains in support. Its all flexible and up to you actually. 

Edited by medivh.4725

class-wise I picked rifle-warrior from the get-go because I don't like using magic or goofy pseudo-technology and I like firearms. in addition to this, of the classes that can use use rifles; warrior has better drills than the engineer  (shouldering the rifle and taking aimed shots instead of hip-firing) and without magic-y hoo-haa like the deadeye (as much as am jealous of the fact that deadeye can take a knee). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Warrior rifle may not be super-ultra-metatastic, but for me it's fun, and that's why I'm here; to have fun, and immerse myself is a rich fantasy world. 

As for my choice of species; the Charr are very much up my alley because or their militaristic culture and they are (as much as they hate to admit it) fluffy pretty kitties. I additionally like their racial skills, such as hidden pistol, landmines, and artillery support. Suits me very well. 

• Like 1

• ArenaNet Staff

I wanted to play a non-human character to switch it up from my GW1 characters. I figured charr was sort of the polar opposite of human. Strongly considered going with an engineer for RP and support reasons, but ended up going elementalist since it was fun to play. Plus I'd seen/played all the personal stories while they were in development and liked the tone of the charr stuff.

Also, cats rule.

• Like 9

i played beta heavily and tried various profs until i tried ele: i fell in love with it due to the play style. so i mained a cleric geared asura ele up until hot b/c out of all the profs, it was the most fun to play. also, i was poor/refused to buy gold with rl cash so i couldn't afford to play anything else lol.

Edited by fixit.7189

I usually start with the ranger class in any new game, for two reasons:

Gameplay

In almost every game, rangers have a hybrid melee/ranged playstyle that focuses on flexibility. They are usually not the absolute best at any particular mode of combat, but usually have the versatility to deal with almost every challenge. Basically, I find that rangers in most games can fairly easily run away from or avoid what they can't kill. They also usually have some rogue/thief like ability to sneak around a tiny bit, usually nature-themed. At the same time, they're also often designed to use bladed melee weapons, and the usual medium armor rating means they have to depend on movement and fast strikes to get the job done (things I like), as opposed to straight blocks and tanking hits. Although I'm not big on pets, with the pet swap on core ranger in GW2 I immediately saw the potential to solo a wide variety of content with a bit less skill required than other classes, and it turns out I wasn't wrong.

RP

I'm not particularly big on nature as a theme, but it usually works out with rangers in a manner that I like. Specifically, rangers are usually closely tied to the hunter motif, and are out in nature. Being a ranger implies you're good at killing living things when you need to, but without much of the political and moral baggage attached to paladin or more knightly types. You're not killing for some monarch or god - death is just a part of life out in nature, devoid of any artificial moral system. Sometimes the fluffy bunny just has to die, so mama wolf can feed her own fluffy babies. There's no need to inject some wider balance of right and wrong to the act, it's just how it is out there, you do it when you need to and avoid it when it doesn't make sense. As such it's easier for me to imagine the character as going it alone most of the time, not being too tied down to a particular city/order/organization, which I like. GW2 didn't let me down at all in this respect, as the nature-themed goddess Melandru is a pretty good fit for rangers, and her evenhanded "thus is the way of nature" thing is exactly what I'm talking about here.

--------------------

I guess the final bit I haven't really covered is race. I usually start with human if it's available, because I'm uninteresting like that lol. As for genders, if the game doesn't have gender-locked classes, I flip a coin or otherwise let the game randomly choose for me, and I'm always happy with the outcome.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I jumped into GW2 a year ago after a friend in another virtual environment suggested it. At the time, I was a dedicated player of another MMO. I didn't know anything about GW2 other than it looked cool and I wanted a change during quarantine.

I normally play magic users of some variety, but I also wanted to do more melee. Without really knowing anything about how the classes in GW2 are implemented, I picked a Ranger. I went Druid at first, because it seemed both cool and useful, but switched to Soulbeast.

I've played around with most of the other classes, but my Soulbeast remains my favorite.

By pressing "Skip to end". Yep, last time having a main was my first character, a male human bear ranger. Now it's more like this:

Main (daily) armorsmith & leatherworker - Ms. Emo, Human dragonhunter

Main Banker - Mr. Bantumi, Human ranger

Main farmer - Ms. Counterbot, Sylvari reaper

Main Gem store banker - Mr. Black Lion Saver, Norn ranger

Main GH chiller - Ms. Boaring, Charr reaper

Main Girlfriend's character (she created a whole bunch): Ms. Tamini, Human ranger

Main Goemm's Lab - Ms. Lootmachine, Dedicated Norn guard 

Main home farmer & converteer - Ms. Tamagotchi, Asura warrior

Main key - none, they're scheduled differently every week

Main ley - Mr. Hägglöf, dedicated Charr ranger

Main PvE/story explorer,  & scribe - Mr. Fireblade Ninja, Asura daredevil
Main PvE hard content/HoT explorer, (daily) huntsman & tailor - Mr. Underbarn, Asura mirage

Main PvP'er - Mr. Käbbel, Human ranger (depends entirely on achieves)

Main raider, fractaleer, chef & artificer - Mr. Bærbult, Norn Berserker

Main Silverwastes - Mr. C64, Sylvari herald

Main Tequatl - Ms. Beauty, dedicated Human ranger

Main world eventeer, weaponsmith & jeweler - Mr. Ahrle, Human ranger

Main world explorer -  an endless tug of war between 61 incomplete characters... 

Main WvW'er - Mr. Gorgonzola, Sylvari necromancer, but that one had to lend his armor away; so it's Mr. Open for All, Charr engineer, as long as the fights aren't too hard; then it's the norn ranger, mrs. Dateable, of which all are pumped with WXP boosters.

Do I even have a main? You tell me... 😜  

Edited by TwinFrozr.6214

A combination of past experience and experimentation during the beta tests.

I wanted my main character to be a human, partially because I wanted her to be a descendant of my GW1 characters (who all had to be human) and partially because I have a reoccuring character I play in most western RPGs, with minor changes to fit her to the game world, and she's usually either a human, elf or half-elf half-human.

I like playing nature themed characters in RPGs, and I like having a range of options available with the usual focus on quick melee weapons and magic for when I need something more powerful. So a ranger with a sword was the obvious choice, but I spent some time in the betas trying out a variety of professions to confirm that was the best choice.

Having said that I made 4 characters on the first day (the others are a charr thief, a sylvari elementalist and a norn engineer), added a 5th not long after and I'm currently working on my 12th, so although she's my main character she's never been my only option and I will often swap around who does what based on what's most convenient or fun for me.

I came to gw2 from the OG gw with an idea: "I'm gonna play ranger". Back in Nightfall, I used to wear the Primeval Armor... i liked it to that extent, I actually shifted from Dervish to Ranger.

That was the first character I created on my account. I play different characters in raids and fractals, but still ranger is the one I use for all the other content.

I picked a norn guardian cuz I wanted to be like a giant tank that supports the other players, now years later, I'm a HB+QB so I can do that and more!.  Plus, I love the knockback on the hammer. That's right! I'm a hammer guard and don't care what anyone thinks!

His name is Sven Delacroix BTW

https://imgur.com/0x2EftI

https://imgur.com/so0yftr

I followed the slow release of information in the years between Eye of the North and the first announcement of Guild Wars 2. When they showcased Guardian I really liked the sound of it, as off-tanks are very much my kind of class and Guardian struck me as just such a thing.  Played one in both Betas and enjoyed it enough that I just never stopped.

• Like 1