Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock - Disappointing 5th Anniversary Birthday Gift

Beatnic.6475

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Beatnic.6475 said:Yeah, now that I know it includes almost everything, I'll be making a point of getting all the more easily accessible items. Though including minis, that's a long list.

Woah, that is a long list! Somehow even though I have most of them (and try to use all the ones I have at least occasionally) I sometimes forget just how many minis there are in this game.

Maybe if you're just trying to make sure you get good value from the Wardrobe Unlocks it could be a good idea to set a flat-rate for all items. So for example you buy all skins/dyes/minis/etc. that cost less than 5g but none that cost more. Then if you get something from the unlock you'll know it's worth something, but you don't have to unlock everything on the TP.

As a tip: if you right click the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock item before using it you can preview the potential drops. You can use this as a way to keep track of what you don't have yet.

I went to spend a bunch of keys I'd saved up and just bought a every common/uncommon/rare dye I didn't already have to save myself the grief. It didn't cost much at all, and I'm sure I ended up better off for it with drops as I got a few skins that are worth 4-500g

@Beatnic.6475 said:I was so excited to have a Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock as a gift for my 5th anniversary. Only to open it and receive an Iris Blush uncommon dye! I guess I should have read the fine print there. I never made it a priority to buy all the dyes. But dang, a dye worth a whole 19 silver for my birthday? Wow.

Just wanted to express my frustrations. The cutoff on dyes should at the very least be Rares in the Wardrobe Unlock. Or remove dyes completely. What a letdown. Obviously, I went purchased all the cheap dyes I was missing.

Anyone else get disappointing wardrobe unlocks in the past?

The sense of entitlement is real. It's a free gift. Complaining about free items makes it look like you are ungrateful.

You seem to have forgotten all the other items you received. Not only do you get a free wardrobe unlock, but you get a new backpack skin unlock, two choices of a unique 5-year anniversary weapon skin, a new title, and a 2-week lounge pass. And that's the Account gift! Each character that is 5-years old, including those mule characters that are never played, gets the 5x Teleport, 50 level boost scroll, 2 birthday boosters, free karma, and the Exuberant Dye pack, that contains rare dyes worth 100's of gold on the TP.

Complaining about a dye unlock worth 19 silver when you are getting hundreds of gold worth of gifts and other convenience items PER CHARACTER is ungrateful.

i got a bronze sword (6 silver) skin as my very first unlock. i thought omg nice a free wardrobe unlock i only had gliders and outfits in my mind and not the cheap items.i rage at forum and ppl said i first have to buy all cheap items first before i unlock one. i tried it. bought many dyes.but later i thought * it. this cost me too much time or work before i get everything cheap. if i look only at wvw gear it takes ages to get it.so now i open them instant when i loot one, and i will see what i get. later i got more expensive skins. nice for account value but further nothing.i hope i ever will get the scythe staff i think i am lucky enough for it :P

but yes it feels bad when the wardrobe unlock itself is rare quality and what you get is trash :P

i dont say what i got on 5th anniversary :)

I haven't gotten one of these yet but I've been throwing money at the Trade Post for some time now, buying crap that was never important to me before and still really isn't. I'll never use the minis, or the letter carriers, or most of the dyes. But I'd rather have all the cheap options covered so that when I get something from a GWU, it's actually worth the rarity of the GWU.

@Beatnic.6475 said:I guess I should have read the fine print there.

Yeah, you really should have. When you right-click the item, you can see a preview of all the skins in the pool that are eligible for the unlock. It could be an expensive, rare skin, or it could have been a Seasoned Wood Focus.

This strikes me as an odd complaint. That gift also contained an Exuberant Dye Kit and a choice of two unique weapon skins with no other acquisition method. That Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock just drops out of Black Lion Chests. I don't think it's even particularly uncommon. The one in my birthday gift was my third or fourth one, and I've never purchased a Black Lion key.

• 2 years later...

I believe you can link an API key to GW2Efficiency to see a list of cheap/easy unlockables to get to get the maximum value out of Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlocks.

I've gotten some awesome stuff (outfits, gliders, expensive dyes, etc) and also gotten, like, Bronze Spears. Hahah. Pays to do a bit of prep work.

@Beatnic.6475 said:I was so excited to have a Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock as a gift for my 5th anniversary. Only to open it and receive an Iris Blush uncommon dye! I guess I should have read the fine print there. I never made it a priority to buy all the dyes. But dang, a dye worth a whole 19 silver for my birthday? Wow.

Just wanted to express my frustrations. The cutoff on dyes should at the very least be Rares in the Wardrobe Unlock. Or remove dyes completely. What a letdown. Obviously, I went purchased all the cheap dyes I was missing.

Anyone else get disappointing wardrobe unlocks in the past?

I did about the same. With me it was a cheep mini. There are just WAY too many things in the guaranteed wardrobe unlock now!

@"Memoranda.9386" said:I believe you can link an API key to GW2Efficiency to see a list of cheap/easy unlockables to get to get the maximum value out of Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlocks.

I've gotten some awesome stuff (outfits, gliders, expensive dyes, etc) and also gotten, like, Bronze Spears. Hahah. Pays to do a bit of prep work.

https://immortius.net.au/wardrobe-unlock-analyser/ is nicer for that but simply clearing off all the cheap stuff can get very expensive. For example on my other account if I want the GWU to give unlocks that are worth at least 10g it will cost 1722g using buy orders to clear off all the cheaper stuff.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Memoranda.9386" said:I believe you can link an API key to GW2Efficiency to see a list of cheap/easy unlockables to get to get the maximum value out of Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlocks.

is nicer for that but simply clearing off all the cheap stuff can get very expensive. For example on my other account if I want the GWU to give unlocks that are worth at least 10g it will cost 1722g using buy orders to clear off all the cheaper stuff.

Definitely. Not saying that it's easy or cheap, and it's up to each to decide what "value" they want to place on the Unlock. I don't really care too much, so they typically get used right as I get them. The only real chore I did was buying all non-exclusive dyes. That was done more out of QOL for myself than thinking about the unlocks, though.