WvW Returning player needs bringing up to speed

Ghost.4360

Been away from GW2 for a long time, think I stopped playing shortly before the first expansion was released, I popped back once or twice I couldn't get back into it, giving it another try now.Only playing core, might consider getting the expansions if I find I'm enjoying the game enough to justify doing so. (Mounts are a big buzzkill on WvW if you don't have one)

The few times I've popped back my main issue has been revs, I'm sure its just a case of repeated practice and learning their skills (which is harder without having access to them)My 3 main WvW professions are Warrior, Ranger & Thief.

So if anyone can help me back up to speed on what builds are effective in WvW for those classes that'd be great. Also what builds work vs revenants and maybe what they're skills/weapons do, what animations to watch for. (I'm aware I could browse the wiki a lot and surf the web a load and eventually figure this out but I'd rather just ask here and get some nice responses hopefully :D)

Warrior I used to sword/shield, bow, GS and hammer. Would mix it up as needed, bow I think was mainly to splash some aoe for tagging and ran traits towards weapon swapping and pumping adrenaline and also tankiness. Worked well for roaming and leading/being in a zerg.

Ranger I think I ran conditions/traps in pvp, wvw I think I used BM/LB but I don't remember. Tried making a LB build for WvW and it failed against a rev and I was 2vs1 with an ally, so that felt terrible xD

Thief I can barely remember had to log in, he has D/D and P/P, trickery, acrobatics & critical strikes. Think I used a lot of stealth & dodge play while doing crits and ability spam. Don't recall it being super effective, but fun and durable at least.

I think that about sums where I'm at, thanks in advance for any help <3

Welcome back.

You will get a flurry of responses varying from its great to ‘don’t bother’.

First, I would suggest finding out which server (or link) you are on.

Touch base with some of your old guild mates (if they play).

If none play, check for one of the WvW guilds in your server. They will have varients of what is on Meta Battle for builds which isn’t a bad place to start.

They may also have some thoughts on which of those toons would be best on core for right now based on how they run.

Most likely it’s going to be warrior if it’s only core. Unless you roam..... then all of them have viable builds.

For warrior, core only?

Roaming:Marauder StatsStr: Bot/Mid/MidTact: Top/Top/MidDisc: Bot/Bot/Top if using Axes Bot otherwise.

Run GS + Axe/Shield, GS + Rifle, GS+Longbow, Sword/Shield+GS, or Axe/Axe + Rifle, honerable mention to sword/axe. All are options that will work. You'll want Mending, For Great Justice, Shake it Off, Stomp or Bull's Charge, and either Banner or Rampage for any of those weapon sets.

It will be hard since Warrior got nerfed hard last February, more so than other classes.

For Zerging?Shout Heal Spellbreaker with Minstrel Gear. But you don't have PoF so I'd swap out a utility for Endure Pain and swap Mending for Defiant Stance. Find a way into the middle of the other zerg (up to you, but Warclaw is the best way in). Lay down Axe 5 while blowing EP and DS. Weapon swap to GS and use GS3 and GS5 with Bull's Charge to get back to your zerg alive. Repeat as cooldowns allow. If you time it right you'll create downs/finish downs and get out alive every time. Takes practice and a good read of the flow of the fight to pull off. You may or may not need more stability.

Ranger?Berserker gear+Longbow. Pew Pew people from 1500 range, pull out a greatsword when they get close and Maul spam them, maybe MAYBE use GS4 if they get too frisky.

Easier as a Soulbeast. Druids have an annoying immob spam build that works well. But again, you only have core.

If you are willing to try another class a Burn Guardian works well in WvW. Use Carrion gear with scepter/focus + sword/torch. Take all the burn traits and burn everything to the ground. I found a Dragonhunter works better, but core works well. Get some torment, bleed, and poison sigils for your weapons for cover condis.

Rev is one of a few builds that the February nerf patch did not hit as hard as others, Holo and Necro being the others. You are not alone in having difficulty. What to do depends on the Rev unfortunately. Use superior range and firepower if you have it. Be ready to fight in melee or range. Don't use condi if they are using Mallyx. Don't stand near spirits if they are using Kalla. If they are using Glint stop attacking if you see green numbers. Bring a friend if you have any.

MetaBattle is a place I like to check for current builds. I believe the WvW section was updated about a week ago, so it’s mostly accurate. Not every build will always be listed there, but it generally contains most of the more common ones.

Other big general WvW changes that have occurred are:1) The Warclaw mount. A WvW focused mount that you should look to unlock ASAP. Need to do the Warclaw reward track to get it I believe (amongst other stuff for the achievement) and then put your points into the WvW Skill2) There was a major balance patch in February (?) that resulted in a major separation of PvE and WvW balance. This has resulted in a large meta change and included things such as differentiating skills between “damage” skills and “CC” skills, causing skills that focus on CC (Rev hammer 5, Warrior Hammer, Ranger LB Knockback, Necromancer Fear, etc..) to do next to no damage.

Thanks guys appreciate the replies. Will try the recommended builds and yes had a little look on MB ty. Definately considering getting the expansions, sick of everyone gliding and mounting up around me xD sounds like big changes on that patch yeah, will have to read up on it. Thanks again all :)