Unpopular Opinion? Core Maps As New Content

Ogwom.7940

I was thinking about it, but I realized it could be fun to have the opportunity to utilize the old maps in a new way that we've never had before, depending on how well they can integrate it in Champions.I always love going back to the old maps, and it is party the reason I do map completion so often.Personally for me, if I were a new player I would love to see much more powerful dragon minions in starter zones, so I know that the threat is real, and can be great for the immersion.What do you guys think about core/old maps as new content?

I'm very pro upgrading a lot of the older core content to bring it closer up to newer stuff.Especially the late game regions like Orr, that could really use some buffing up to help close that difficulty gap with HoT a bit.

Kessex Hills in particular is one map i'd like to see revived back more to how it used to look pre the Tower of Nightmares.I don't mind the wreckage in the lake staying where it is but this map is extremely barren due to all the tree's etc that were hacked down to build that tower.Be nice to see all that stuff regrown after all these years.. just a small cosmetic thing but it would make the map look so much nicer.

There are pluses and minuses to this. I think it would be interesting to see how certain areas have changed since the defeat of certain dragons, and new enemies show up. It would also prevent the further dilution of the active players on even more maps. It is probably easier for Anet to update existing maps than make entirely new maps.The minus is that it changes the existing maps, and for new players going through the story, them being in time after the defeat of Zhaitan/Mordremoth/whatever would be odd. And this would would not be quite the experience of exploring a new map. It would be more like 'oh, they changed that'.

I'm fairly certain this stuff will be instanced content as far as Champions/dragon response missions are concerned. The response missions are being built for solo play or up to five players, and that doesn't make sense for open world PvE. Most likely these will take place in instances of the older maps, so nothing in PvE will actually change. We'll just have some newer story instances in old maps in the style of the personal story or season 1.

EDIT: As for my opinion, I'm all for returning to old maps for new stories. In the end it will depend on the quality of the story/writing. As long as it doesn't feel like we're getting shafted on story, character development, etc I'll be perfectly happy to forego a new map.

I'd rather have Arenanet revert some of the changes they did with Season 1 and 2.Repair Fort Salma and the Fort in Timberline Falls already (just keep the broken versions for instanced missions).Remove the Toxic Alliance Events in Kryta and Maguuma and restore the Flora there.Nearly noone is doing them anyway and they just annoying by needlessly putting player sin combat and slowing them down.Remove all the broken machines (maybe even including the remains of Scarlet's Marionette) and the Tower of Nightmare's debris.

The maps were much better before that.

@Fueki.4753 said:I'd rather have Arenanet revert some of the changes they did with Season 1 and 2.Repair Fort Salma and the Fort in Timberline Falls already (just keep the broken versions for instanced missions).Remove the Toxic Alliance Events in Kryta and Maguuma and restore the Flora there.Nearly noone is doing them anyway and they just annoying by needlessly putting player sin combat and slowing them down.Remove all the broken machines (maybe even including the remains of Scarlet's Marionette) and the Tower of Nightmare's debris.

The maps were much better before that.

I would like to think the nightmare tower remains and the marionette debris are monuments of historic events during Scarlet’s war.

I have introduced a few friends to GW2 in the past year and as new players I got to hear their complaints as they learned the game.

In this case, getting caught up in Rifts, Bandits, Awakened, Toxic Pods.... all the things brought to Core Tyria to entice players to LW, are confusing and distracting for new players trying to get into the Personal Story arc (let alone learning the game and timeline).

@Randulf.7614 said:I'm not in favour of adding too much newer stuff to old maps. It just results in a mess. EVentually you end up with many timelines in a single map which is just bizarre

Maybe but this time around, killing destroyers in core maps won’t feel any different than saving the skritts from a little invasion of destroyers or saving that little kid from destroyers near the border of the Dominion on Winds.