The King and Queen's Horrorween 2020 - Official Art Contest

@"Mad Queen Malafide.7512" said:

Darling, that is amazing! And yes, please do share a higher resolution version too if you can. Your submission is accepted regardless, but both the Queen and the King of the Snowmen like having the best resolution version available (and for framing in the Frozen Palace).

I'm glad you like it! =) Here is a high-resolution version for you and your magnificent Frozen Palace: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ut3zjietnn4vqr/GW2-halloween-highres.png?dl=0

Happy Horrorween :)

I am just getting back into digital art, so the quality is most likely not suitable for your castle, but nevertheless thank you very much for this opportunity. :) It is really fun to work on projects like this one.I have included allusions to several halloween events here: The background is a mix of the labyrinth and the field where the races take place (with a few liberties taken ^^), and the drinks are just about to start a costume brawl. A very dignified one, of course. :)5lgjrp28.jpg

I hope you will accept in game artwork. I don't like just putting decorations around in my guild hall. I like building structures and scenery with just a bit of a story line behind them.

Anyway, here is my entry:

We find ourselves in a mysterious, misty woods. Through the fog we see a portal.

4QVReCg.jpg

Q: What do you do?

A: Enter the portal.

Passing through the portal we discover ourselves in the Vestibule of Elements. A hot, dry wind blows from the south and from the north a cool breeze with a hint of early snow.

M0lsq6O.jpg

A: Take the South route.

You are met by a mysterious and dark queen. Behind her looms a Bastion of Fire.

dOf9hKD.jpgOhgBaY4.jpg

Fire is an element of earth, consuming coal, sulfur and wood. It is is deadly and kills quickly. But it is also an element of renewal; removing the old and dry to make way for newness and vitality.

56Mwjoi.jpgeDtlwCz.jpg

The dark queen invites you inside.

A: Enter the tower.

Fire is the element of invention and industry, of crystal and copper and iron and steel. It looks at what is and asks “what is possible?”

VVkzcH3.jpgLh7Rufs.jpg7lGgrV3.jpg

Leaving the dark queen to gaze upon the realm that might yet be hers and consider the future, we return to the vestibule.

A Take the North route

A Prince of Ice and Snow greets us. In the distance we behold a Cathedral of Frost.

mPXYJ7n.jpgxUNVjbr.jpg

Cold is an element of air. It appears more delicate than fire as a snow flake is more delicate than flame. Though it kills slowly, however, it is no less a power to be feared.

tIcSdAY.jpgHQgxZUr.jpg

Cold, is the element of nature and the untamed. Like fire, it too, is an element of renewal; giving the world a chance to sleep, to rest and to contemplate between the frantic battles for survival against man and nature, old age and hunger.

Q2XrIIU.jpg

In the end, as planets cool and suns burn out, Cold shall conquer all and shall reign supreme.

BesnuWa.jpg

It is time to go.

A: Leave the Stratosphere of the Elements.

And here is the architect of those edifices, Boris the Elf, in his hidden lair. (A guildy has been unsuccessfully trying to find the entrance to this hidden place for over a year in order to deface it with a portrait of Logan Thackery.) Here Boris plans his next great project and, perhaps, plots his conquest over the world.....Bwahahahaha!

VYtJ98c.jpg

Thank you for traveling with us.

bJFyUlk.jpg

P.S. In case anyone is curious - 140 ominous/corrupted walls, 172 ice walls, 108 Ice floors and 55 large cuboids of snow. I think that comes to 167,000 snowflakes and 140,000 candy corns.

@Daniel Frozenwind.2946 said:

@BadKitty.5426 said:Does this run untill the end of this month?

It does, it ends 1 minute after the 31st of October.

Thanks for clarifying. Even though... i hate to be a nuisance, but about which timezone are we talking? UTC +1?^^See, i'm running hot finishing my artwork in time and i'd be devastated to find out, that i didn't make it due to some timezone-tohubohu :')

Happy Horrorween!

kingandqueenhorrorween.jpg

Just finished this up now! Better close than never.

Been scrolling through these entries and saw loads of love for our Mad Queen, so I wanted to show some to Daniel Frozenwind, (To get on his good side with winter just around the corner!)

A Calvin & Hobbes inspired piece, of Daniel contemplating where the Queen's candy corns REALLY come from.

Happy Horrorween Everyone!

@TezPoca.7203 said:Thanks for clarifying. Even though... i hate to be a nuisance, but about which timezone are we talking? UTC +1?^^See, i'm running hot finishing my artwork in time and i'd be devastated to find out, that i didn't make it due to some timezone-tohubohu :')

We can be a little bit lenient, don't you worry Tezpoca darling.

@Cherrycake.9634 said:Heya! I hope that it's not too late but I was wondering if I may enter my previous entry as Cherry.2318 if possible? I recently recovered my old account and was hoping if I would be able to enter from that name instead?

Thank you so much! Happy Horrorween and good luck to everyone! :)

No problem darling. Then that will be the username we'll use to send a prize if you win.

@Shilo.4931 said:Been scrolling through these entries and saw loads of love for our Mad Queen, so I wanted to show some to Daniel Frozenwind, (To get on his good side with winter just around the corner!)

A Calvin & Hobbes inspired piece, of Daniel contemplating where the Queen's candy corns REALLY come from.

Darling, that is adorable! I love it!

@Lamont.5973 said:I hope you will accept in game artwork. I don't like just putting decorations around in my guild hall. I like building structures and scenery with just a bit of a story line behind them.

That is such an original idea!

xrgoq6k.pngMad Romance

"Thorn's Clocktower. It is said, that only the mad feel attracted to this place. Hence the sight of the King and his beloved Queen Malafide at such a wretched place shouldn't come as a surprise."

Thanks for the patience. I hope it was worth the wait.So i suppose i'm rather oldschool with a scanned image of my sketchbook, huh. All in all i'm not completely happy on how this ended up, since it was my first time to use markers in addition to the ballpoint pen. But nontheless a new experience and a step out of the comfort zone, so many thanks for hosting this event!

Is there any chance we'll have another one in the future?

In order to develop an idea of what to draw, i produced a couple of sketches in advance. Just in case someone is interested in those, please click below:

xVFMKTQ.pngKkvCKcL.png5xXBidk.pngvcpdYKs.png

And indeed, the Queen Malafide on the bottom right corner might be the derpiest Queen Malafide you might find around here^^Happy Horrorween!

@TezPoca.7203 said:

Thanks for the patience. I hope it was worth the wait.So i suppose i'm rather oldschool with a scanned image of my sketchbook, huh. All in all i'm not completely happy on how this ended up, since it was my first time to use markers in addition to the ballpoint pen. But nontheless a new experience and a step out of the comfort zone, so many thanks for hosting this event!

Is there any chance we'll have another one in the future?

Absolutely darling. What you said is exactly what we were hoping to do; To inspire people and give them a chance to try out something different, while also giving them an opportunity to showcase their talents to others. As such, we hope that everyone, regardless if they won or not, enjoyed taking part in the contest.

@"Hellschream.4812" said:https://imgur.com/a/ZruUaYB might be a bit to late, still wanted to post it, hope ya like it

As the Queen stated, we can be lenient. Your late submission is accepted. We will also need some time to pick a winner, so please be patient while we do our best to pick our favourites out of an amazing selection of entries. The winners will be announced soon.

Just a quick update. Our judges are currently tallying the votes. We expect to announce the winners somewhere this week. Winners will be picked based on originality, artistic quality of the work, adherence to the rules of the contest and Horrorween spirit. Plus a bit of personal taste from each judge of course. The judges are pretty divided, so I think the final winners will be surprising to all of us.

The Art Contest Winners!

The votes have been tallied and the winners are as follows!

1st Place - Baqueta.8061 - 200 gold and a highly coveted Llama mini2nd Place - Cherrycake.9634 - 100 gold and The Crossing Staff3rd place - Shilo.4931 - 25 gold and The Mad Moon Shield

Runners Up

4th place - Malicei.9140 - Chaos Gun, precursor to Quip5th place - Hellschream.4812 - Rage, precursor to Frenzy6th place - TezPoca.7203 - Royal Flame Weapon Coffer7th Place - Fenella.2634 - Royal Flame Weapon Coffer

Congratulations everyone, and thank you so much for making our Horrorween extra special!

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to all who participated for your wonderful submissions. The Snowman King has increased the value of each of the prizes and the gold amounts have been adjusted accordingly. The total value of each prize is higher now than what we initially posted and we have smaller prizes for the runner ups.

Enjoy your prizes and hope to see again next Horrorween!