First Ascended Set

I am wanting to go for my first ascended set for my warrior. I want some input as to what you guys think is the best way that I should go about obtaining my first set of ascended gear. I was thinking about doing fractals, but I am not sure if people would want someone with only exotic gear joining them and I'm not sure how difficult tier 4 fractals are (I believe that I saw that tier 4 and above can drop ascended gear). Raiding seems fun, but it has the same problem as fractals as I don't think anyone would want someone with exotics in their raid party. I have looked into crafting, and have even gotten my armorsmithing to 500 and crafted a few of the daily ascended materials, but the process looks daunting and there are a few items that I would need to grind in the silverwastes (I think) for.

What would you guys recommend be the method that a player gets their first set of ascended gear?

Side note: This forum is extremely helpful and positive to newbies. Thank you to those who take the time to respond.

@BeastNHisHarlot.4865 said:I was thinking about doing fractals, but I am not sure if people would want someone with only exotic gear joining them and I'm not sure how difficult tier 4 fractals are (I believe that I saw that tier 4 and above can drop ascended gear).

Just and FYI, the difference between ascended and exotic armor is minuscule. NEVER, and I mean NEVER assume that your performance is based on having ascended armor, because quite frankly: it never will be.

That said, there is only 1 place you actually NEED ascended armor initially, there are later work arounds but initially you need the armor, and that is T4 fractals. You need those extra slots for agony resistance and ONLY agony resistance to survive in T4 fractals.

My recommendation is:

• don't worry about T4 fractals, if you haven't run fractals, then T4 are ways off for you. Start at T1 and work your way up. You don't need ascended armor for anything below T4
  • work on getting ascended trinkets first, then maybe ascended weapons. Then once you reach T3 fractals and are ready to move on to T4, decide on where you stand with armor

I confirm that ascended armor is required only for high-tier fractals. In other game modes it provides you with a small stats increase, however you skill influence your dps much more.

Also think about alternative ways to craft:

• If you ever dropped armor/weapon boxes from open world or bosses, you can change their stats in mystic forge. That's pretty cheap operation.
  • If you like the achievments, plenty of them provide you with ascended boxes as well. Those are difficult ones usually. However, if you gonna do them later, why not to prioritize it earlier.
  • if you do strike missions/WvW/fractals/raids, you can buy ascended boxes from vendors for currency and grandmaster tokens, which is sometimes cheaper then crafting (especially for expensive stat combinations). This means you can start all these activities with exotic armor, then improve your gear 1-by-1.
  • Ascended boxes can drop from daily fractal chests. So if you are going to try the low-tier fractals, that's a good choice. Also trinkets are easy to get with LS3-4 currencies and these agony resistance may be enough for fractal tiers 1-2, may be even 3.

Look at the wiki for detailed craft cost. But these are a few general ideas how to save some money/resources for your 1st ascended armor.

If you want to craft Ascended armor, you might not need to grind all the materials.. The recipes typically have multiple layers, where intermediate components are made of base components, etc. Often you can buy the intermediate components from the TP,, if you don't have all the base components needed to craft the intermediate component (or there are daily-gated materials involved). The tradeoff is buying off the TP is going to be a bit more expensive, but it can save you a lot of time and headache.

If you already have armorsmithing at 500 you are very close to the ascended armor. It is probably your fastest route and definitely the most reliable. I would suggest you craft a piece because it's not nearly as hard as you seem to think and shouldn't require any special grind. Maybe for some specific stat combinations.In the end, you don't have much use for armorsmithing 500 if you won't go for ascended stuff.