Suggest me an alt for Fractals please!

Hi!

I have a Mesmer main that's all kitted out mostly and i do WvW with him. Trailblazers doesn't really work well in fractals anyway lol.But i've been toying with an idea of having an alt that only does fractals once i do my reward track. Or like dailes, those last like, half an hour mostly, especially at the beginning.I have a lvl 80 boost, so idk, suggest any profession.

What's the most fun profession and easiest to do Fractals with?

My alts are Revenant (used for open world with a friend), Guardian (that i'm meh about), Engineer (piano playing intensifies) and Warrior (lvl 80 full exotic).I have both expansions so feel free to also suggest Elite specializations.All characters i have can be leveled to 80, and i can even delete one i don't use if you suggest something i don't have now.

Thank you!

Guardian has some great builds that are meta for Fractals.Banner Warrior is also a good choice, although for Tier 2 and above, you'd need ascended.

Discretize is the best place to start looking at Fractal Builds. MetaBattle is preferred by some (more builds, including some that are less effort to play)

A buddy of mine has an "easy rotation" Rev build for raids that will also work for Fractals. (It might need some adjustments from the last bit of skill changes.)

Question 1:Are you considering challenge mode fractals too, or only T4?

Depending on your answer, the choice of class becomes far more flexible if only T4 are of consideration.

Question 2:Is the build supposed to be fun, or able to carry a group?

In general support builds like heal Firebrand are far better at carrying a weak T4 group. Heal scourge or well played power reaper can do the trick too though.

Some good advice already given, I'd recommend the following:

• get a full set of ascended berserker trinkets (Living World Season 3 and 4, etc.). These trinkets can be swapped to other characters and will retain their value and usefulness. If in doubt, always keep a set of berserker trinkets around, some character will always be able to make use of them
  • pick 2 or 3 classes (guardian, warrior, thief, engineer or necromancer). Guardian, warrior and necromancer (literally talking Reaper only) are very strait forward, engi is a bit more complex
  • get exotic berserker armor (use named exotic items for armor from the TP) and weapons
  • use alternative "cheaper" runes over endgame runes like scholar (Superior Rune of the Pack, Strength, Ogre, Infiltration, etc.) initially
  • try to use and play a recommended build from any of the build sites (metabattle, Discretize, etc.). Most relevant for correct weapon selection.

Try out each of the classes and see which you enjoy the most. Then stick with that one and eventually upgrade to ascended weapons and armor with ideal runes.

EDIT:The only reason revenant, in this case Renegade, did not make my list is because for alacrity there is a substantial amount of boon duration needed (and thus would deviate from berserker gear). Going power Herald, which could make use of that berserker gear, will work for medium level pick up groups, but you might face scrutiny over not being a renegade for alacrity. It is a very easy and straightforward power dps though.

@"knite.1542" said:Power berserker with axe/axe is about as simple as it gets and does a decent bit of damage. I think it's fun too.Well i do have a boosted Warrior with all the exotic gear and trinkets it came with. But they're all Soldier's and not Berserker's.But i suppose, for starting Fractals, it shouldn't be that bad, i mean, T1 fractals are easy enough, so i guess tankyness that Soldier's provides won't be that much of a detriment, i'll just be less damaging, and since T1 fractals are already pretty easy, "fair" damage + Tank attributes should get me through them pretty easily until i can get some ascended stuff.

But i do have T3 fractals unlocked on my Mesmer, he could buy some Berserker's trinkets for him, plus i have a ton of them stashed up, and got boxes full of selectable full armors so... Whatever i choose i should be good for a start.

I need to get rid of those boxes anyway, they're cluttering up my inventory and bank, and since my Mesmer is never going to use them, i guess i can distribute them to my alts.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Guardian has some great builds that are meta for Fractals.Banner Warrior is also a good choice, although for Tier 2 and above, you'd need ascended.

Discretize is the best place to start looking at Fractal Builds. MetaBattle is preferred by some (more builds, including some that are less effort to play)

A buddy of mine has an "easy rotation" Rev build for raids that will also work for Fractals. (It might need some adjustments from the last bit of skill changes.)From what i understood from browsing most meta builds, Warrior and its elites is always very forgiving. Particularly Berserker. You basically just plomp your banners down and go to town on the mobs, using the bonus skill and elites as situational. I don't see Spellbreaker anywhere except WvW so i guess that's not a good elite for PvE.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Question 1:Are you considering challenge mode fractals too, or only T4?

Depending on your answer, the choice of class becomes far more flexible if only T4 are of consideration.

In general support builds like heal Firebrand are far better at carrying a weak T4 group. Heal scourge or well played power reaper can do the trick too though.

• get a full set of ascended berserker trinkets (Living World Season 3 and 4, etc.). These trinkets can be swapped to other characters and will retain their value and usefulness. If in doubt, always keep a set of berserker trinkets around, some character will always be able to make use of them
  • pick 2 or 3 classes (guardian, warrior, thief, engineer or necromancer). Guardian, warrior and necromancer (literally talking Reaper only) are very strait forward, engi is a bit more complex
  • get exotic berserker armor (use named exotic items for armor from the TP) and weapons
  • use alternative "cheaper" runes over endgame runes like scholar (Superior Rune of the Pack, Strength, Ogre, Infiltration, etc.) initially
  • try to use and play a recommended build from any of the build sites (metabattle, Discretize, etc.). Most relevant for correct weapon selection.

Try out each of the classes and see which you enjoy the most. Then stick with that one and eventually upgrade to ascended weapons and armor with ideal runes.

EDIT:The only reason revenant, in this case Renegade, did not make my list is because for alacrity there is a substantial amount of boon duration needed (and thus would deviate from berserker gear). Going power Herald, which could make use of that berserker gear, will work for medium level pick up groups, but you might face scrutiny over not being a renegade for alacrity. It is a very easy and straightforward power dps though.

Answer 1:Well, for starters, since this is my new character, i plan on first getting to T4. I have T3 unlocked on my Mesmer but those unlocks aren't account wide, are they?Even if they are, i wouldn't start a new profession that i never played in T3, especially since i don't have agony resistance.Well, my Mesmer has and i can extract the infusions (i don't need them for WvW anyway), but the point is, one step at a time. :P

What's the difference between challange mode and T4 though? Is challange mode just for the sake of it, or do you get something more out of it compared to T4?I've been away for a while, so i forgot most of this stuff.

Answer 2:Fun mostly. If it carries, that's a bonus, but i'm kind of sick of carrying people from other MMOs and indeed sometimes even in Fractals here with my mesmer.If i can avoid it, i'd rather not be a healer. I've learned my lesson with healers a long time ago, if you have a healer, people just assume they can be as bad as they want because you'll just heal them and they can't die. And then when you waste all of your heling and buffing abilities because cooldowns exist and they die between cooldowns shouting at you why you didn't heal, it's suddenly all your fault if a wipe happens.

I'd rather avoid that if i can, let somoene else have that responsibility.Although, being a healer type in a group that actually knows what it's doing, or at least tries very hard and is ok at what they do is pretty rewarding.So i'm not opposed to anything really, but that was just my previous healing experience lol.

As for the trinkets, i still have currency saved up from previous Fractals, i can just buy them probably, or with laurels or even in WvW if i have to, trinkets aren't really the problem so that's good. I even have some Berserker ones anyway from before, i can just switch them around.

And yeah, Engi, as much as i love him cause he was my first character, is pretty complex. Mesmers are already like playing a piano right now, so i'd rather go for some easier professions, than play another complex one.

I have a box of armor i can use to get a full set. The boosted Warrior came with Exotic Soldier's gear unfortunately but i guess that's a good start for T1 anyway. Those aren't that hard, and i can be Tanky while doing "ok-ish" damage, should be a breeze. But i can also get a full set with selectable stats, i have to use those boxes anyway, no sense in keeping them around.

As for the Classes, so far i'm really enjoying the Revenant, but i don't want to boost him, i use him for open world content and playing with a friend, we're leveling together. And i like the Warrior for its simplicity. And that one is already boosted, maybe i'll use him for Fractals after all. Seems to be pretty simple and straightforward.

I was working on a Renegade build that hit 99.49% boon uptime with a crit chance over 51% with full marauder's armor, ascended diviner's weapons, diviner's trinkets, assasin's back, sigils of concentration and accuracy, using soul cakes and potent lucent oils yesterday. Runes were traveler's, IIRC. And you over-capped concentration/boon uptime with leadership runes. This was using the gw2 skill editor, so I haven't tried it out in-game yet. And meta-battle says, though I question it, you only need 85% boon uptime to hit 100% alacrity upkeep with Orders from above.

Basically it is the same build I run now, just swapping out my current runes and changing the food and util from my my solo-power stuff to concentration ones.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Question 1:Are you considering challenge mode fractals too, or only T4?

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:I was working on a Renegade build that hit 99.49% boon uptime with a crit chance over 51% with full marauder's armor, ascended diviner's weapons, diviner's trinkets, assasin's back, sigils of concentration and accuracy, using soul cakes and potent lucent oils yesterday. Runes were traveler's, IIRC. And you over-capped concentration/boon uptime with leadership runes. This was using the gw2 skill editor, so I haven't tried it out in-game yet. And meta-battle says, though I question it, you only need 85% boon uptime to hit 100% alacrity upkeep with Orders from above.

Basically it is the same build I run now, just swapping out my current runes and changing the food and util from my my solo-power stuff to concentration ones.

Thanks but the problem with revenant is that i reserved that character for Open world content to run with my friend.So for now, it's not going to get boosted.

I acutally ran fractals with a warrior build and man, it's really something!Just showed me exactly how much Anet hates Mesmers.

Warrior, even with just soldier's gear, slices through mobs, and i never had to wait for a cooldown, it's just constant onslaught!I like it! I think i'll do Fractals with him.