Allied factions [Lore and lore gameplay discussion]

EdwinLi.1284

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:In gw2, they never made the elder dragons' scale of power clear,I mean, we had a newly awakened Zhaitan bringing up an entire landmass out of the ocean like it was nothing. Heart of Thorn started off with Mordremoth casually destroying the fleet that beat Zhaitan. During the lead up to Kralk we had him opening tears in time and space, not only in Jahai, but in core maps as well.

Yep.. and that is exactly why I am so sold on the idea that Primordus needs to do something so absurdly destructive to sell us on just how dangerous he really is.Unlike Jormag we don't have episodes of dialogue to build him up and make us feel the threat he poses and Primordus has so far not even given any indication that he would even bother talking to mortals anyway.. I think he can talk but simply chooses not to on the grounds that we're not worth speaking to.

I think Primordus needs to do something big.. and personally I am hoping that we have a massive battle with him which ends with Primordus Killing Jormag and going absolutely nuclear on the whole area.. injuring Aurine and disintegrating most of our allies.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I personally think that the title might have a small typo, and it is meant to be "upcoming chapter features". But if you think about the development process for games, then it makes sense.I can only hope so.

However, consider the fact that they established there will be additions to content in-between releases, and the fact that they have not ONCE in eight years showcased two releases' content in a single trailer. Why would they break one of the very, very few things they actually maintain consistency with now of all times?Why change the naming convention from seasons into saga? Why change from giving up complete maps per release to split maps? Why switch from the style of content we got in LWS2, 3, and 4, and the first half of IBS, into that of LWS1? Why also change the naming convention of the saga chapters in the process also? To be honest, IBS has been Anet doing a lot of weird things.

But yes, I would agree it wouldn't have content from chapters 5-8, just 5/6 at the mos. MAYBE 7 if the Tengu/Koden are from there, since those Kodan are a vanilla assets, and its not difficult to slap some Tengu model on the fort walls and have the camera pan around it for a second.

@Teratus.2859 said:Yep.. and that is exactly why I am so sold on the idea that Primordus needs to do something so absurdly destructive to sell us on just how dangerous he really is.Like launching dozens of attacks across Tyria?

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:Why change the naming convention from seasons into saga?

They didn't. "The Icebrood Saga" is the name for Season 5. It's still been referred to as Season 5 internally - and even sometimes externally. The whole "it's a saga not a season" came from Greg Miller who hosted the PAX announcement:

Greg: Now, I'm looking through the notes I jotted down and Julia, you just slipped up.Julia: No I didn't. I...Greg: You called it a season. It says very clearly, Icebrood Saga.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Icebrood_Saga_announcement

Even during the announcement, the devs were calling it a season - until Greg "corrected them" on stage. Instead of arguing it out, they did the polite move (albeit questionably not the smart move given the misconceptions it clearly created): they went with the flow rather than correct Greg's correction.

Why change from giving up complete maps per release to split maps? Why switch from the style of content we got in LWS2, 3, and 4, and the first half of IBS, into that of LWS1?The main reason is player division. Fewer maps = fewer division among playerbase. The Season 3 and Season 4 dailies got merged into one rotating category each for the same reason - to funnel the playerbase into fewer maps.

They're also using this season to experiment a bit - there has been an ever increasing praise of Season 1. Most of it is due to rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, or not actually experiencing the content. But it has pushed ANet to try to bring some of it (and Season 2's) design concepts into the Seasons 3/4 design method, without the biggest negative drawback of being temporary. As said during the announcement:

Novera: [...] You can still expect the awesome episodic content that you're used to. The difference is, we've now got four content teams and so that kind of gives us a little bit of leeway on what a "release" is.Julia: Yeah, I mean, sometimes that's going to be a story focused episode, but it could also mean on expanding existing content or focusing on another element of the game or trying a new type of content that we've never tried before. So, we also have some surprises we want to slide in and I think the design teams going to speak to some of that too in a few minutes here.

The main thing they were talking about here, of course, was the VotP and fractal intermission releases.

Why also change the naming convention of the saga chapters in the process also?This, I honestly don't know. I can only imagine that COVID, and possibly the green light for End of Dragons, forced them to re-evaluate their designs, which results in a very different gameplay result and they're highlighting this by calling it chapters of "Episode 5" rather than Episodes 5-8.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:This, I honestly don't know. I can only imagine that COVID, and possibly the green light for End of Dragons, forced them to re-evaluate their designs, which results in a very different gameplay result and they're highlighting this by calling it chapters of "Episode 5" rather than Episodes 5-8.That dev comment you found for me, from all the way back on February 3rd, seems to indicate this was the plan all along. And that was made before COVID got serious, and shut down things like VA work.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:This, I honestly don't know. I can only imagine that COVID, and possibly the green light for End of Dragons, forced them to re-evaluate their designs, which results in a very different gameplay result and they're highlighting this by calling it chapters of "Episode 5" rather than Episodes 5-8.That dev comment you found for me, from all the way back on February 3rd, seems to indicate this was the plan all along. And that was made before COVID got serious, and shut down things like VA work.

Pulling in larger influences from Season 1, specifically on the side of community-determined progression or choices, were planned for a while.

Not having half-a-map-per-release, or calling them chapters of one episode? This is left unclear. Especially given the portal tome's info.

Regarding OP, and I dunno it has been said in comments above; but I noticed something on https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-icebrood-saga-champions/ page.

"During global faction mobilization events, players can pitch in to train, rally, and build trust with factions both familiar and unlikely. You’ll be rewarded for your efforts, and your allies will begin randomly appearing in Dragon Response Missions to lend their special strengths to the fight."

-Familiar and unikey factions. Dunno anyone, but an appocalyptic cataclismic earthquake/erruptions are happening, would the bandits, the nightmare court, the sons of svanir, the inquest and the flame legion continue their machinations, laughing at us and using the situation to make even more mischiefs?

-It says, train, rally and build trust. It either imply a kind of reputation/convincing like deldrimor HQ quest, picking NPCS like jahai bluffs north heart quest or being part of a story mission where our so great "commander" convinces everyone by playing kazoo.

Would, the nightmare court who got assaulted by the pact in twilight arbor, the inquest from which we nuked two HQ for the story, and sons of svanir that we slaughtered in bjora and drizzlewood and core maps join us? Against, I have a big doubt, but those are the unlikely factions. Maybe even some aetherblade/toxic/molten remnants making a "link" with the aetherblades arts of EoD.

So like OP said, surely those allies; but also maybe evil organization of tyria, or even the personnal stories factions? Grawl/Hylek/Skritt/Ogres ?

@"hugo.4705" said:Regarding OP, and I dunno it has been said in comments above; but I noticed something on https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-icebrood-saga-champions/ page.

"During global faction mobilization events, players can pitch in to train, rally, and build trust with factions both familiar and unlikely. You’ll be rewarded for your efforts, and your allies will begin randomly appearing in Dragon Response Missions to lend their special strengths to the fight."

-Familiar and unikey factions. Dunno anyone, but an appocalyptic cataclismic earthquake/erruptions are happening, would the bandits, the nightmare court, the sons of svanir, the inquest and the flame legion continue their machinations, laughing at us and using the situation to make even more mischiefs?

-It says, train, rally and build trust. It either imply a kind of reputation/convincing like deldrimor HQ quest, picking NPCS like jahai bluffs north heart quest or being part of a story mission where our so great "commander" convinces everyone by playing kazoo.

Would, the nightmare court who got assaulted by the pact in twilight arbor, the inquest from which we nuked two HQ for the story, and sons of svanir that we slaughtered in bjora and drizzlewood and core maps join us? Against, I have a big doubt, but those are the unlikely factions. Maybe even some aetherblade/toxic/molten remnants making a "link" with the aetherblades arts of EoD.

So like OP said, surely those allies; but also maybe evil organization of tyria, or even the personnal stories factions? Grawl/Hylek/Skritt/Ogres ?

I expect Anet to keep Allied Factions to be resonable factions we know are siding with our character lore wise so I don't expect any antagonist factions to join unless the Main Story has already established them as allies or atleast potential allies.

As for the the Allied Factions mechanics, ya it does seem we are going the improve reputation with X and Y faction route to gain benefits and unlock them as options for specific moments in GW2 upcoming content and future contents such as having allied faction NPCs join into events based on the player's reputation with them. So improving the Faction's reputation will be important to gain more NPC allies into Dragon Response Missions and maybe even special options in Main Story missions.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:

@"hugo.4705" said:I expect Anet to keep Allied Factions to be resonable factions we know are siding with our character lore wise so I don't expect any antagonist factions to join unless the Main Story has already established them as allies or atleast potential allies.

Based on the teasers and having "unlikely allies", I would not be surprised if the Aetherblades were one of the Allied Factions, despite being antagonists back in Season 1 and not receiving much attention since. As some people have already said, they may also provide passage to Cantha for the expac.

@Poormany.4507 said:

@"hugo.4705" said:I expect Anet to keep Allied Factions to be resonable factions we know are siding with our character lore wise so I don't expect any antagonist factions to join unless the Main Story has already established them as allies or atleast potential allies.

Based on the teasers and having "unlikely allies", I would not be surprised if the Aetherblades were one of the Allied Factions, despite being antagonists back in Season 1 and not receiving much attention since. As some people have already said, they may also provide passage to Cantha for the expac.

There is also possibility that some of these unlikely allies may be small groups of defectors from certain factions.

Though I suspect there maybe a special side quests involved to unlock these unlikely allies due to being obtained outside of Main Storyline events.

I am cautiously optimistic. Factions are a reliable way to introduce limited story agency outside of the golden path and trade based on comparative advantage. Warframe and Eve Online both use factions in this way. More likely than not we get superficial theme park faction mechanics. We will treat all NPCs the same, NPCs will treat everyone the same. I would rather my choices matter and I am ready to trade with someone who made different choices.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

Pulling in larger influences from Season 1, specifically on the side of community-determined progression or choices, were planned for a while.

Not having half-a-map-per-release, or calling them chapters of one episode? This is left unclear. Especially given the portal tome's info.

From my understanding, not having new maps for a while was already mentioned in an interview in September 2019.

Don't expect a new map with every update. We will also work with existing maps and expand those. It's gonna be comparable to season 2, just a little more meaningful and bigger than in the both maps from back then. Firstly, we will start with a big new map and realize things with it, we haven't done before.

(Source is from the translation of a german interview): https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/d1web4/full_english_translation_for_the_german_interview/?utm_medium=usertext&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=Guildwars2&utm_content=t3_j3pz5e

The big map and things that haven't done before is probably Drizzlewood Coast with it's WvW-like style.

However, until the Champions-trailer I thought existing, older maps were going to be expanded, and maybe that would have explained the portal tome.