Downloading GW2 Files Remaining stuck at 49,100? (edit found solution)

Possible solution:

My knowledge of computer is very basic but I had and solved a similar problem when I changed my cumputer last year. The download of gw2 was constantly stopping after few secondes. I tried every Arenanet suggestions to solve the problem and it never worked. Then I tried Avast cleanup premium and poof, every problems were solved. Avast cleanup shut down all unnecessary program that runs in background (STEAM, Microsoft Edge etc). I guessed there was some conflict between some programs and gw2 but that was just a guess! Still worthy to try the free trial if it still available. Got very few lag, disconnections and my internet goes much faster since.

@Ashantara.8731 said:@Autumn Sky.9763 , @Friday.7864 , et al.:

Guys, has any of you tried this?? (see below)

@Ashantara.8731 said:When you put GW2 on a different partition than the Windows one (especially
not
into its programs folders), you should encounter zero issues with downloading the game or updates to it.

Not me. It needs to be on SSD for me - means it's stuck with Windows. Don't feel like partitioning the SSD in two.D drive is HDD in my case and the performance there is just appalling.I have a copy on a relatively fast USB tho. Plug it in anywhere, run exe and it works lol

@Friday.7864 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:When you put GW2 on a different partition than the Windows one (especially
not
into its programs folders), you should encounter zero issues with downloading the game or updates to it.Not me. It needs to be on SSD for me - means it's stuck with Windows.

That's not what it means. You simply make two partitions on your SSD: one for Windows and one for your games.

Don't feel like partitioning the SSD in two.

Your loss. It's easy to do and saves you a lot of trouble (not just with GW2).

D drive is HDD in my case and the performance there is just appalling.

I use my HDD only for older games and another partition on it for backup of personal files etc.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

not
into its programs folders), you should encounter zero issues with downloading the game or updates to it.Not me. It needs to be on SSD for me - means it's stuck with Windows.

That's not what it means. You simply make two partitions on your SSD: one for Windows and one for your games.

Don't feel like partitioning the SSD in two.

Your loss. It's easy to do and saves you a lot of trouble (not just with GW2).

D drive is HDD in my case and the performance there is just appalling.

I use my HDD only for older games and another partition on it for backup of personal files etc.

Well hey, I'm not the one having issues, why should I bother.I simply told people about a method that will work 100%, without any failed downloads.

@Friday.7864 said:Well hey, I'm not the one having issues, why should I bother.

For practicality. ;) Unless you don't care that you will have to back-up everything each time you intend to re-install Windows.

Also, it is easier and faster once done to download without any issues than have to use your method each time. I was merely trying to help. ;)

• 8 months later...
On 11/7/2020 at 6:27 AM, Healix.5819 said:

Normally you'd use the -assetsrv option to change which patch server you're using, but it's been broken for months, so instead you have to edit your hosts file, which is etc/hosts or private/etc/hosts for Mac. (for more info)

Add the following to the end of the file:52.206.178.33 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Remove it when you're done. Note the IP will eventually change, which will cause it to fail to connect.

For future reference, lookup the current IP using:nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com

This worked for me :D 

Thanks a ton @Healix.5819

On 11/7/2020 at 1:27 PM, Healix.5819 said:

Normally you'd use the -assetsrv option to change which patch server you're using, but it's been broken for months, so instead you have to edit your hosts file, which is etc/hosts or private/etc/hosts for Mac. (for more info)

Add the following to the end of the file:52.206.178.33 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Remove it when you're done. Note the IP will eventually change, which will cause it to fail to connect.

For future reference, lookup the current IP using:nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com

This definitely helped. but the ip as said is outdated so you need to do nslookup using cmd/command prompt as described.

As of now, it's these 2.

PS: Not played for 5+ years and my first issue is this... T-T

Edited by yxpoh.5139
adding

On 8/11/2021 at 12:52 PM, offence.4726 said:

EDIT 3 : The only thing that helped me finish this download and ordeal besides all the failed tries with VPN and everything was to nslookup oricincd.101.arenanetworks.com get the latest IP and change it on my C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and edit the hosts file with this line :

44.193.164.116 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com / I'm EU based idk if that matters.

My problem seems to be identical to yours. 93% with 46,970 files remaining. Every time I restart the launcher the files remaining go down by 1. Could you please explain your solution more for my dumb brain to understand? xP

9 hours ago, Cyborg Rox.7450 said:

My problem seems to be identical to yours. 93% with 46,970 files remaining. Every time I restart the launcher the files remaining go down by 1. Could you please explain your solution more for my dumb brain to understand? xP

Just add this line to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

3.92.131.16 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

if that doesn't work add this:

44.193.164.116 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

GW2  shortcut target path doesn't need any commands. Worked for me(EU).

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Losquirt.4896 said:

I'm sorry, what "add this line to" means? I searched for that "hosts" file but I have 2 of them, but anyway I do not understand what should I do. Sorry, I'm not so good in these kind of situations...

Open notepad as an administrator, then open the hosts file (%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts). You add the specified line to the bottom of the file. See the more recent topic for more information.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

Open notepad as an administrator, then open the hosts file (%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts). You add the specified line to the bottom of the file. See the more recent topic for more information.

Thank you dude! After a first 1 minute without any apparent change, now the remaining files are dropping faster and percentage is moving! Already at 3% OMGGGGGGGG xD
Thank you everybody! You have my gratitude! 🙂

hi i have the same issue

and did try:
3.92.131.16 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com
and

44.193.164.116 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

bouth times he does not seem to get a connection to the servers after doing that
i am from EU Germany

Edit:
i used nslookup to find a new ip:
and

now it worked
wow i never thought i would have to do stuff like this for a game xD

Edited by Zepto.7982

On 8/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, Healix.5819 said:

Unfortunately - it's still not working.

I uninstalled and installed in on my main drive SSD. Exact same problem... 91% and 41.679files left.

It seems to download something as the downloaded mb is rising, but no progress in % and left files...

I really wanted to get back into Guild Wars 2 (release date player) but guess ArenaNet doesn't want to have more/returning players.

In addition to that, I am having enourmus ping spikes going from 27ms up to 300ms+ or even over 1.000ms+ for 2-4 sec which is a hell of a lag ingame...

Edit: I've tried it once more - now it's downloading. Still, it needs to be fixed as it lefts a bad taste... Especially for new comers and those who return.

Edited by Hanyaka.1746

Oh wow, I can't believe this is a thing.
A friend of mine just wanted to reinstall and start playing again after a while.
He hit the wall. 
Stuck at 93% with endless download but no progress.

We're looking into possible solutions now, but he's already close to just ditching it and not coming back.
Took me a while to persuade him to come play with me again, and then this happens...............