Shiny dragon nyooom help

Wisely.4819

Hello there, after having leveled and played thirteen or fourteen necromancers, I am trying to decide what to play next. Can you help me pick? These are the things important to me:

1. Can run around maps like chak hell without dying, nyoom into enemy groups and not flop. Please do not recommend thief I am too stupid for it
  2. Has a lot of shiny effects and visual clutter. The more sparkle, the better. I am easily entertained and also a magpie
  3. Has something to do with dragons in terms of pets, theme, etc. Mostly a bonus but I do like dragons

I do not care about PvP, WvW, Fractals, Raids or the meta. I just want to nyooom around

So far I have these options:Revenant - Has a dragon elite spec and the facets seem shiny, also has a shiny pauldron dragon thing, which is a huge bonus. I don't know how well it deals with solo pve though, also I'm not super hot about not being able to choose utility skillsRanger - Can have a dragon pet, the celestial druid form thingy seems super fabulous, but I don't know if it's good for solo pve and dealing with groups of mobsGuardian - Seems shiny but I read that it has super low base HP so I don't know if it's the best for me, someone with 2 braincellsMesmer - VERY shiny. Does it have good AoE damage?

Rev is good for PVE - either as core rev, Herald, or Renegade. I have a Herald and a Renegade. Honestly can't decide which I like playing the most in PVE. Tons of fun, little bit of a learning curve with respect to learning to manage your power and your rotation.

You might also consider Holosmith if you want to yeet into a crowd of enemies and beat them to a pulp. Holo with sword/pistol really fits my personality more than core engi or scrapper, though scrapper has tons of utility too.

@"TheAgedGnome.7520" said:Condi Herald Revenant.It's a tankasaurus , full Trailblazer build.You have Glint as one of the legends, so you get your dragon theme. :)Moderate on the shinies spectrum, but still its really potent.(Build link is in the description)

Can you play it with ranged weapons?

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Rev is good for PVE - either as core rev, Herald, or Renegade. I have a Herald and a Renegade. Honestly can't decide which I like playing the most in PVE. Tons of fun, little bit of a learning curve with respect to learning to manage your power and your rotation.

You might also consider Holosmith if you want to yeet into a crowd of enemies and beat them to a pulp. Holo with sword/pistol really fits my personality more than core engi or scrapper, though scrapper has tons of utility too.

How would you rate holosmith from a shiny perspective? I never tried it

@Wisely.4819 said:

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:Condi Herald Revenant.It's a tankasaurus , full Trailblazer build.You have Glint as one of the legends, so you get your dragon theme. :)Moderate on the shinies spectrum, but still its really potent.(Build link is in the description)

I was concerned about that when I first started using Herald, but the reality is that Mace2 is 480 range, Mace3 is 1200, Axe4&5 are 900 , Elemental Blast is 600 and Chaotic Release is 450. So, although Mace/Axe looks like a melee-only setup, it has a lot of range ability too. Plus its so tanky that being in melee range is quite fine.

Renegade does give you the shortbow (900) and the summons (600), but you lose Glint and instead get Kalla. I sometimes run Herald, sometimes Renegade, using the same armor/trinkets, depending on the situation. Both specs have their benefits, so I don't consider it an either/or decision.

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:Condi Herald Revenant.It's a tankasaurus , full Trailblazer build.You have Glint as one of the legends, so you get your dragon theme. :)Moderate on the shinies spectrum, but still its really potent.(Build link is in the description)

I was concerned about that when I first started using Herald, but the reality is that Mace2 is 480 range, Mace3 is 1200, Axe4&5 are 900 , Elemental Blast is 600 and Chaotic Release is 450. So, although Mace/Axe looks like a melee-only setup, it has a lot of range ability too. Plus its so tanky that being in melee range is quite fine.

Renegade does give you the shortbow (900) and the summons (600), but you lose Glint and instead get Kalla. I sometimes run Herald, sometimes Renegade, using the same armor/trinkets, depending on the situation. Both specs have their benefits, so I don't consider it an either/or decision.

I tried the Herald out in the Mists against one of the class training dummy NPCs and it killed me, which was embarrassing and also maybe proof that the way energy consumption works on Herald might be too galaxy brain for me

@Wisely.4819 said:

I tried the Herald out in the Mists against one of the class training dummy NPCs and it killed me, which was embarrassing and also maybe proof that the way energy consumption works on Herald might be too galaxy brain for me

I think Revenant is the most difficult class to learn. It's so unintuitive at first how to manage energy, dps, legend skills, and tactics at the same time. When I first tried Rev I hated it because it seemed so weird and I constantly ran out of energy and died. It's worth investing time in, though, and getting used to holding off on using utilities due to energy, getting used to using the secondary capabilities of Glint utilities, and swapping legends as needed.

@Wisely.4819 said:

I do not care about PvP, WvW, Fractals, Raids or the meta. I just want to nyooom around

Mesmer - VERY shiny. Does it have good AoE damage?

Power Chrono with Greatsword/Phantasm. Downside is the dragon part might be lacking...

But if all you wanna do is OW PvE Chrono is a lot of fun, is good ranged or melee, can be specced to hit hard or have sustain/support, and has some good aoe abilities, has built in speed boost even. Works well in zergs or solo, small groups too, can be setup to do some champs and bounties solo, story stuff is easy as well.

Join team butterfly, it’s the shiniest... bonus points for going Sylvari

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

Power Chrono with Greatsword/Phantasm. Downside is the dragon part might be lacking...

But if all you wanna do is OW PvE Chrono is a lot of fun, is good ranged or melee, can be specced to hit hard or have sustain/support, and has some good aoe abilities, has built in speed boost even. Works well in zergs or solo, small groups too, can be setup to do some champs and bounties solo, story stuff is easy as well.

I have settled on Mesmer for now too, my current issue is just that whenever I see a necromancer running around I wish I was playing one too :(

@Wisely.4819 said:

I have settled on Mesmer for now too, my current issue is just that whenever I see a necromancer running around I wish I was playing one too :(

For OW mesmer, might want to look at staff condi Mirage. It's fun and easy, and strong for soloing. Doesn't provide much support, though, unlike chrono:

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

For OW mesmer, might want to look at staff condi Mirage. It's fun and easy, and strong for soloing. Doesn't provide much support, though, unlike chrono:

Oh wow I had no idea staff was viable!!! Can you explain the gist of the build to me? The video is very fast and I have trouble catching the rotation or which F skills he uses there.

@Wisely.4819 said:

@Wisely.4819 said:I have settled on Mesmer for now too, my current issue is just that whenever I see a necromancer running around I wish I was playing one too :(

--

Oh wow I had no idea staff was viable!!! Can you explain the gist of the build to me? The video is very fast and I have trouble catching the rotation or which F skills he uses there.

Hizen responded to that kind of question in the Youtube comments with this:

1 tip to make sure you have vigor and to keep having 3 clonesshattering gives you vigors but it will destroy your clones so here is the trick to shatter and still have cloneswhen you use 3 on staff 2 phantasm will attack the target before the CD of skill 3 reach 11 shatter F1 and F2 the moment the CD reach 10 the clones you shatter them will be replaced with the other 2 clones and when u dodge you create 1 thats the most important thing you need to practice with :)

So, the idea is to keep a constant supply of clones in the pipeline ready for shattering. You can create clones directly with Staff2 and with dodges (Deceptive Evasion trait), and then shatter them (preferably when you have 3 clones). But you can also create two phantasms w/Staff3, which after several seconds (i.e., when Staff3 CD timer reaches 10) then those two phantasms become clones, and if you then dodge to create a 3rd clone, you can now shatter those 3. Swap staffs as needed to get back energy for dodging (Energy sigils) and repeat. What you want to avoid is wasting the conversion of the two phantasms to clones by having shattered prior to the 10 sec CD timer point, or having at most one clone at that point.

In my variant, I swapped out the mantra utilities for Phantasmal Defender and Signet of Illusions. The former gives me another phantasm which also draws aggro (but also now another phantasm CD timer to monitor), and the latter another source of clone generation (one every 10 sec.).

It seems like a lot to manage, and if you are hoping for ideal timing and max clone shatters/min. then it would be; but realistically, if you shatter occasionally with 2 instead of 3, or you waste a clone here or there, its no big deal in most cases. Think of clones as ammo or weapon strikes, and just as we often don't perform an ideal weapon skill rotation or use ammo skills perfectly they still work good enough to get the job done. It's actually pretty fluid once you get the hang of it.

So, the main things are to not seek absolute perfection in your clone generation and shattering, and to fight the urge to be the damage dealer - instead, you should be evasive and let your clones/phantasms get the aggro and do the damage.

Oh, and to be clear - when I say 'dodge', it's really more of an evade, thanks to Mirage Cloak trait.

Edit: As Hizen says in another comment:

when u dodge u shot number 1 special attack the purple orb every orb that goes through u yourself and the clones orbs each 1 gives u 3 might and furyThat is, since clones use the staff1 autoattack skill, if you leave them up and DON'T shatter them, then the orbs from that skill also bounce back you building up might and fury. So, shatter vs. don't shatter is another choice you have.

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

@Wisely.4819 said:I have settled on Mesmer for now too, my current issue is just that whenever I see a necromancer running around I wish I was playing one too :(

--

1 tip to make sure you have vigor and to keep having 3 clonesshattering gives you vigors but it will destroy your clones so here is the trick to shatter and still have cloneswhen you use 3 on staff 2 phantasm will attack the target before the CD of skill 3 reach 11 shatter F1 and F2 the moment the CD reach 10 the clones you shatter them will be replaced with the other 2 clones and when u dodge you create 1 thats the most important thing you need to practice with :)

So, the idea is to keep a constant supply of clones in the pipeline ready for shattering. You can create clones directly with Staff2 and with dodges (Deceptive Evasion trait), and then shatter them (preferably when you have 3 clones). But you can also create two phantasms w/Staff3, which after several seconds (i.e., when Staff3 CD timer reaches 10) then those two phantasms become clones, and if you then dodge to create a 3rd clone, you can now shatter those 3. Swap staffs as needed to get back energy for dodging (Energy sigils) and repeat. What you want to avoid is wasting the conversion of the two phantasms to clones by having shattered prior to the 10 sec CD timer point, or having at most one clone at that point.

In my variant, I swapped out the mantra utilities for Phantasmal Defender and Signet of Illusions. The former gives me another phantasm which also draws aggro (but also now another phantasm CD timer to monitor), and the latter another source of clone generation (one every 10 sec.).

It seems like a lot to manage, and if you are hoping for ideal timing and max clone shatters/min. then it would be; but realistically, if you shatter occasionally with 2 instead of 3, or you waste a clone here or there, its no big deal in most cases. Think of clones as ammo or weapon strikes, and just as we often don't perform an ideal weapon skill rotation or use ammo skills perfectly they still work good enough to get the job done. It's actually pretty fluid once you get the hang of it.

So, the main things are to not seek absolute perfection in your clone generation and shattering, and to fight the urge to be the damage dealer - instead, you should be evasive and let your clones/phantasms get the aggro and do the damage.

Oh, and to be clear - when I say 'dodge', it's really more of an evade, thanks to Mirage Cloak trait.

I don't know if I understand it fully with the shatters, you shatter 3 with F1 and then the next 3 with F2?

@Wisely.4819 said:

--

I don't know if I understand it fully with the shatters, you shatter 3 with F1 and then the next 3 with F2?

I do, but you could also F1, and then keep the next 3 alive until F1 is off CD again, then use F1, and repeat. I honestly don't know the 'ideal' method.

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

--

I do, but you could also F1, and then keep the next 3 alive until F1 is off CD again, then use F1, and repeat. I honestly don't know the 'ideal' method.

oki thank you :D i can do that

@Wisely.4819 said:

oki thank you :D i can do that

Watching the video again at 50% speed, he hits F1 & F2 at 11 sec on Staff3 CD timer. But F2 has a 25 sec CD whereas F1 is 12sec and Staff3 is 14.5sec, so either you need to wait to use Staff3 off of CD until F2 is ready again, or you use Staff3 but just don't shatter until F2 is ready. It looks like he is often doing the latter, but not always.

I think because I'm generally not soloing champs, things tend to die fairly quickly, so I'm not seeing all the benefits of boon stacking from leaving clones alive; instead, its better to just shatter and finish the kill; but in his examples of soloing the time to kill is longer so he does see that boon stacking benefit.