What do you think of the new Living World: Champions? (spoilers inside) - [Merged]

Aaralyna.3104

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's pretty obvious they've shifted the vast majority of the studio over to the expansion. It does make me wonder how many people they still have working specifically on Guild Wars 2 though, or have had for awhile that they have to ship the remaining people working on the live game over to it.

But I imagine it's pretty hectic as it all seems last minute and unplanned.

As far as this episode, I set my expectations extremely low and and to be honest it was alright for what I was expecting. The story instances were alright. They added some dialogue to touch on a few things we've been wondering about in terms of lore like the pale tree, touching on the dead elder dragon's magics effects on Primordus. They brought back a few people like Taimi and Gorrik which was nice.

Story-wise, it was a decent little play through even if it wasn't overly exciting but it's nice to get a break from the Charr story. I think one bad thing about the saga in general right now is that every episode is just Jormag being vague about everything. It's good for build up, but at some point it feels like we're going to be on the last episode and something will happen and it still won't really be that impactful because it's had TOO MUCH build, like snails pace constant dialogue kind of build up.

In general, it's pretty much what I expected though and I've pretty much stuck with logging in on release days and then disappearing till the next. It's honestly more enjoyable that way and I think it helped me appreciate this patch more. In terms of development time and the resources that went into making it? I don't know. I mean, I'm pretty content with the 2 hours it took me to do these missions and story content until the next content drop and will probably never replay it again. So if there's a lot of people with the same mindset then it's probably not the best type of content they could have released. But some of that could be mitigated in the future with more appealing rewards to grind for, like a new armor set, a strike mission tossed in.

As far as the Response Missions - not something I would repeat more than the first play through in the story. Long, relatively boring, rewards are laughable as usual. No interest in any of the recolored weapon sets or the new axe skin when I'll wind up replacing them all with near-legendary gemstore skins or actual legendary skins at some point anyway. Still not really sure what the point of the allied faction stuff is but no real desire to find out as I've done the story and don't plan on replaying the missions.

To those of you that are disappointed, yes, I get it. It's pretty dull, but they're fully committing to the expansion and the only thing you can really do is play the new releases if you're interested for the story and then take a break till the next and quell your expectations until the expansion drops.

I probably won't replay the older episodes either despite it being refreshing having voice acting again. I think a lot of us are kind of just ready to put this whole "Saga" behind us. :lol:

Honestly though, I would almost prefer a watered down vision of the past than this, but I guess that would take environment artists and more people that they have left working on the live game so it is what it is.

I think if you approach it from a state of complete apathy and just accept that the studio seems to be in a perpetual state of chaos (increasingly more so over the past 2 years) you'll find a lot more enjoyment. They probably had like 2 or 3 people working on this which is pretty impressive even if the content itself isn't overly exciting.

For me this "content" was worse than nothing.I had no fun at all, the fights took soooo long, whyy???

The other random player in my team in one of the 3 missions said: "Never again"

This was worse than nothing.Fix old problems of the game instead of producing this kind of content.

And I know they are working on the new expansion.But this should have been out in 2019 already.

Where is Guild Wars 3????

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Bast.7253 said:But I imagine it's pretty hectic as it all seems last minute and unplanned.I mean, Anet stated back in February 3rd, just after episode 2 came out, that they were planning to do this. And that wasn't presented as a recent decision either. So we are looking at around late last year they had the idea for this.

Maybe! But I highly doubt this was planned as early as late last year given how soon that was after the Icebrood announcement when they insisted fairly vehemently that there was no expansion in the works.

And given the random fractal addition in the same time slot as a would be episode, after over a year of not touching fractals, it feels a bit out of place. Especially as the fractal itself wasn't actually originally designed to revolve around Cantha and was redesigned after the fact with no direct correlation to the current plot.

I'm also giving them the benefit of a doubt that they didn't just hype up Visions of the Past, (an actually really good story delivery method) only to have one iteration of it and then switch to a completely different format of story telling because they just... wanted to capture the essence of Season 1. Strike missions had a fair chance and I never really saw the appeal but they were significantly more engaging than this 5 man/solo instance dps golemn Response Mission content.

But yes, I suppose completely changing the format and not iterating on an existing system in favor of creating something new is par for the course for Arenanet.

I'm not really invested either way and am fine logging in every 2 months or so to check out the story progression so it doesn't really matter to me. Just had the feeling that little of this has been highly mapped out and wouldn't be at all surprised if that February announcement was before work/planning had even been done for this part of the Saga, or surprised if even with Season 1 in mind they still had a different idea for these releases and had to cut back even further. Who knows. It's just another 6 months anyway.

For me, this is the worst part of story in many years in GW2.

Three unnecessarily long dungeons with boring and uninteresting mechanics, similar to each other.Public content in personal story (lol wat?)Inability to create a 5man group in lfg in the desired section, because there is an opportunity only for squads.15 even more boring cms.Grind this pointless content in order to get a weapon, to get mastery. Look so cool.One hour in Dragonfall meta everyday for daily? Are you kidding?

Today I will finish my achievements there and will not return to these "dungeons". Never.Thanks for the "interesting" new content that I don't even want to see in the future.

You haven't even made any new mechanics for the Primordus minions. You just took meteors from 100cm and copypaste it in gendarran dungeon. Oh wow, you did sooo hard work!

Okay, you are working on expansion now. But expansion will appear in next year. We will play this aught for another year, because you are too busy working on Cantha? Unpleasant perspective.

~~After had done the mission yesterday, i'm pleased to see that the mission can be different between each. (a little). ~~The azura support in metrica is really a good support.

Edit: Don't mind, didn't see that we can choose the support.

About the Dragon Boon, it's a passive advantage if i understand well ? because i didn't see something about it.

Why are we left wondering in the wind about what the goal is for champions? Why are we left guessing what that global goal is, its not not explained to us in game mechanics-wise? We are all confused about if more content is coming soon...or not....

Overall I enjoyed the instances and the banter, the loot is meh, will be catching up on the episodes since we have VO but the story is confusing, the global goal is confusing I'm just CONFUSED and it spoils the fun some.

Working on an expansion isn't an excuse for such low effort content release. It feels like we start seeing that ANet notices our feedback, we think everything is going to get better from now on and then they drop this. With that being said, I am unsatisfied but on the other hand it was for free, so hey, who am I to judge.

To add to everything said by now, the side stories content somehow is more engaging then DRMs, the Awaikened invasions, the Bandit bounties and the Mist Rifts are somehow way better in comparison the only major difference is that DRMs have voice acting. DRMs ARE dungeons, not Arrah but those tank and spank paths, Arenanet picked the design by statistic, cause those were played the most(people farmed them not because they are fun, but because GPH).

I like the idea. It is like visions of the past but clearly this chapter lacks mechanical complexity, for some time they seemed to have found effective formulas instantiated missions (attack missions) allowing a higher content than the LS community but without being so hardcore and exclusive.

I "like" the story but the execution.... the copy paste of mechanicals, only putting waves of npc not giving any tactical strategy or level of difficulty is ridiculous, I understand that they will be focused on the expansion a while ago, but the level of the chapter is so so low. And I do not know if it is the problem of the game designers or some higher position but those who make the decision seem not to play the game.

It sucked. Felt like extremely lazy programming. Copy/paste pretty much the same mission a few times on maps that were already premade with the same predictable story line for each. And then give the boss champ a bazillion health. Took me forever to kill the champs cause I did it all solo. About 75% of my time was spent doing just that. All other enemies scaled just fine though. Overall, bleh.

As far as the story of the entire thing... it was okay but it's way too obvious what's going to happen in the long run. Assuming it's going to continue with the current direction. Jormag wants to "help Tyria" by getting rid of Primordus. The debate is 50/50 on if it's a good idea to ally with Jormag or not. Which ultimately causes conflict between everyone and that's what Jormag really wants (yet no one seems smart enough to figure that out). This then pits everyone against each other. And if we do kill Primordus, then Jormag doesn't have to worry about the only known weakness used against him/her/whatever too (another thing the npc's seem to not even notice). Personally, I think it's really dumb also to have Jormag's Champ with us during these fights cause Jormag then can see what weaknesses we have.

TLDR: BLEH

the whole concept of this update seemed bad to start with, and sadly it turned out as expected. also the story itself is actually kinda maddening, the whole thing with where everyone is just okay with jormag now (even though we spent all of bjora learning about how manipulative they are) is soo stupid and actually makes it impossible to immerse myself in the story

atleast the voice acting in drizzlewood is cool i guess

I can't give a final evaluation yet, as I quit halfway through the episode, uhm sorry, chapter last night out of sheer boredom. I am going to play the squad story mission next and will leave my final verdict once I have finished the whole chapter.

Those response missions sound awfully boring, too... I'm glad they are connected to a community-wide event week and contain a few rewards to make them at least somewhat appealing to play.

@Ashantara.8731 said:There is a home instance node? Where do I get that?

Both the faction vendors in EOTN sell it for 50g and 245k Karma

@lare.5129 said:to hard cm .. probably they calculate something wrong.50kp requirement cool toxic group left 75% for last boss ..

I did Gendarren yesterday with a party of 5 using my spellbreaker in soldiers gear. If my naff dps/high cc can get through it, even if the 4 others were likely better dps than me, then it's not anywhere near raid level.

I'm not defending the overpowered health pool (before the patch - I haven't tried yest as I've seen no groups yet), but I disagree that we are talking raid level here.

I have to admit I was not terribly impressed by this chapter. It feels kind of unfinished. I can understand wanting to add more content in the coming chapters but too much was left unexplained. One of the achievements is to buy vigil supply boxes at eye of the north. but there is no vendor. I assume it will be added later? but there is no explanation. You can't get enough masteries for the new line. I assume that will be added later? but there is no explanation. You can't do the currently last part of the story and we assume it will be added later in some way. But there is no explanation that this is the case. I get that they were going for an gradually unfolding episode but not giving us a bit of information on whether something is upcoming or just plain overlooked and missing makes it feel, well, very underwhelming.

I think the story hasn't really started yet, I am expecting a big bang at the end before we have the new expansion or have a real "living story" experience again like Lion's arch. Because the sea has been cut off, so there really is need something to break it and open up a passage. Thinking Primordus will burn it or something as it puffs it last breath.

I am happy to see there's a selection to a different "version" of the same map, I hope this is a sign that we can use that same function to go into pve map for wvw.