Quality of life suggestion : The Mounts wheel

kylian.5079

Hello, I find the current mounts menu unpractical in the game, especially with the amount of mounts we got.So today I'd like to suggest an idea that would improve everyone's lives, it's an already existing concept in most games, but it would be great to see it in game : The mounts wheel.

Press a button -> mounts wheel appears; use mouse movements to select your mount; release the button -> summons the mount; press the button again -> releases the mount OR select another mount.

Here is a preview, and it's definitely not Apex. https://ibb.co/PTxxTPq

I wish everyone a lovely day, stay safe.

A different layout probably would make the menu easier to use.

It doesn't bother me because I have dedicated keybinds for each mount, so I only use the drop-down (drop-up technically, I guess) if I want to change the default mount and I only do that because I have the shared mount button bound to a side-button on my mouse for quick access. But I can imagine it would get annoying if you used the menu a lot.

@kylian.5079 said:So today I'd like to suggest an idea that would improve everyone's lives, it's an already existing concept in most games, but it would be great to see it in game : The mounts wheel.Good to know that I, and everyone else who prefers the current drop down (or rather drop up?) list design, doesn't count towards everyone.

If you want that wheel, go and install that third party feature.Don't force it onto everyone, let people choose for themselves.

There's no need for Arenanet to spend resources on this, when they could use said resources for better things.

Don't force it onto everyone, let people choose for themselves.

I'm not forcing anything, I'm suggesting as the title says. As for now I'm the one being forced to use the actual menu.

On a side note, shortcuts are nice until you have none left or too annoyingly far to reach. I'll check out the add-on.

@kharmin.7683 I tried to search this section but couldn't find it, even when using the search bar.

@"belst.6815" said:check out https://github.com/Friendly0Fire/GW2Radial which is basically this but also for novelties

It covers novelties, mounts and also both area and item markers for squads.

@kylian.5079 this is exactly what you're asking for. It's super easy to install.

I thought I'd make use of it more than I do, but switching mounts is easier via spamming a key shortcut rather than bringing up this menu every time tbh. Though I still use it a lot for novelties.

I'm not forcing anything, I'm
suggesting
as the title says. As for now I'm the one being forced to use the actual menu.

On a side note, shortcuts are nice until you have none left or too annoyingly far to reach. I'll check out the add-on.

@kharmin.7683 I tried to search this section but couldn't find it, even when using the search bar.

You mean like how the deposit all and compact button change wasent forced upon everyone?Dont kid yourself if anet implement this it will be forced on everyone.EditAnd your not forced to use it use the third party app that some kind soul did to do just this.

@kylian.5079 said:@kharmin.7683 I tried to search this section but couldn't find it, even when using the search bar.Not sure why this was directed at me?

EDIT: I did a search on MOUNT WHEEL and these were on the first page of results:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1317196#Comment_1317196https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/77694/out-of-keybinds-need-a-better-mount-ui

suggesting

You mean like how the deposit all and compact button change wasent forced upon everyone?Dont kid yourself if anet implement this it will be forced on everyone.EditAnd your not forced to use it use the third party app that some kind soul did to do just this.

I never heard of 3rd party apps until quite recently and have never looked into them. I do not want to risk my account. Is there a list of A-Net approved 3rd party apps? If not - I will wait for the devs.

suggesting

I never heard of 3rd party apps until quite recently and have never looked into them. I do not want to risk my account. Is there a list of A-Net approved 3rd party apps? If not - I will wait for the devs.

You will wait a while. The devs won't respond to this thread.

One thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around, If a 3rd party user can create a system that functions well in the game and still looks good... Why can't anet do this?

Would for example the creator of the mount addon be ok with their addon being incorporated into gw2? (credited in the system settings.)

It sometimes boggles me as to why some things take so long to do... when its already been done by a 3rd party.

One thing I'd love to see is user created armour sets to go on the gem store. (we may then see a do away of the bulky gloves that we keep seeing in every...single... armour set.(I am refering here to the gloves that seem to have 2 inches of material around the wrists))

@Smoosh.2718 said:One thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around, If a 3rd party user can create a system that functions well in the game and still looks good... Why can't anet do this?You might as well ask why should Arenanet bother with this, when there already is a perfectly fine (for some people even vastly superior), working system.IF Arenanet would incorporate such a system, it's potentially mean removing the much simpler and far less screen-occupying drop down list we currently enjoy.What would Arenanet gain by this?Unlike Templates Loadouts, there is no way Arenanet can monetize such a system.Making less than a handful of players (I've only seen two threads asking for such a change) slightly happier and annoying many other by replacing the current system with such an intrusive one does not seem like a smart thing to do.

It sometimes boggles me as to why some things take so long to do... when its already been done by a 3rd party.If a third party already has done it and there is nothing to gain from it, there is no need for Arenanet to bother.Arenanet apparently doesn't desire the change, so you ought to do it on your own at your own risk, with that third party tool.Said third party tool might even bug out in the game and seeing how long Arenanet takes to fix bugs (take Sunqua peak as an example), this could potentially damage the entire mount system.

suggesting

Unfortunately that does not answer the question if 3rd party apps are allowed? Is there an approved list? I have no desire to risk my account using 3rd party addons.

suggesting

Unfortunately that does not answer the question if 3rd party apps are allowed? Is there an approved list? I have no desire to risk my account using 3rd party addons.

There is no approved list. Anet will not produce one. However, certain things are permitted. You can review them here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/65547/policy-third-party-programs

Given how the developers responded and gave us their own implementation of Action Camera, based on a modification created by a user, it's quite likely they will do the same for such a great QoL feature. Keybinds were fine when we had 4 mounts, but their number keeps increasing and it's getting more and more confusing. I use numbers in my numpad for the mounts, but not everyone uses a keyboard with numpad these days.

There is a precedent when they saw a useful mod created by someone and made their own version for the game. Unfortunately, the real question is whether they'd monetize such a feature or not

edit: as for the approved list, it's rather simple, if you see major streamers and Anet partners using an app, it's likely that there will be no action against you. Otherwise they'd have to ban their own "partners". If sometime they find an app offensive, they will give advance notice about it, and say "we will ban all users of this app if they keep using it after next month" or something like that. It happened in almost every case so far that led to bans

@maddoctor.2738 said:There is a precedent when they saw a useful mod created by someone and made their own version for the game. Unfortunately, the real question is whether they'd monetize such a feature or not

Precedent or not, relying on it happening is still being hopeful. A lot of us have switched to using keybinds if a third party app isn't the comfortable option, and that's what I would recommend as well. Having moved my movement keys to ESDF and action bar keys to all the keys surrounding it (weapon bar is XZAQW and utility is VBGTR) I have 1-7 on my keyboard open to mounts, no numpad required.