Champions episode is lackluster at best.

I know you guys are all gung ho about End of Dragons, but this has to be the worst content release since I've been back to the game. Lets go through the worst points I've experienced.

1. ONE STORY INSTANCE. that's it? Just one? Disappointing.
  2. No new map to explore? Even more disappointment.
  3. Dragon Response Missions are not only buggy, but lackluster content at best.a. You have to be in the same EotN instance as all your party members in order to join the same instance of the DRM.b. I did the CMs with a pick up group of people without so much as a healer or any boons and completed it with over half the time still on the clock. CM still stands for "challenge mode" right? As in something that requires coordination and skill?
  4. New set of Stormcaller weapons that are only luck based drops attached to yet another high AP achievement. (Current TP price 400g ea.)
  5. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content? That is what you claimed back at the beginning of the Icebrood Saga.

Bottom line: Casual players rejoice while raiders continue to cry. (Reminder: Last raid released 17 months ago now.)

I'll leave you guys with this quote and I do hope you all have a great day regardless of my complaints about the design direction.

A partially cooked poached egg needs to be put back in the oven, not given up on entirely.-Mighty Teapot

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The missions kinda cover for the 1 story thing.. I didn't mind that so much but I do prefer my story content solo rather than party based.

That said I can see repeating these missions and having to go through all that story dialogue over and over and over again will get very very tedious very quickly >.<Much like dungeons there is a lot of waiting around for characters to talk which is fine for me when Im doing the content for the story but when I just want to rush through for the rewards it can be quite annoying.

I think it would have been better had Anet made solo story instances of these missions and then a group version without most of the dialogue for reward farming.

@Mea.5491 said:I agree that this episode is disappointing but I just laugh when people complain about no new map. I've been following the forums for many years and the players ASKED Anet to NOT make a new map with every episode. :lol: This is hilarious.

Yeah, it is so strange. It is almost as if there are people on both sides. Like some may want new maps and others may not. Weirdness all around.

@Mea.5491 said:I agree that this episode is disappointing but I just laugh when people complain about no new map. I've been following the forums for many years and the players ASKED Anet to NOT make a new map with every episode. :lol: This is hilarious.

Hi, im prob the n1 person here that has asked for a se2 like format and ill be honest i enjoyed the smaller but faster produced episodes.

I havent done the drm but i hear they are glorified ow events in an instance,along with that we get what? 2 instances of story? After 3 and a half months of w8ing (nearing s4 e8 times here btw compaired to the mostly consistent 2 month cadense ibs has had). Ill give anet points for doing it at least on old maps so they get some fresh new content and loading screens again.

You do a diservice to ppl's requests here saying that we just asked for no maps without further context. We didnt ask for updates to come with less cojtent while also taking longer than any other release in a year.

@"Scavarius.6059" said:steel and fire also didnt have a new map to explore, bjora and drizzle are also streched over 2 episodes. and we dont need new strikes every episode.

CM still stands for "challenge mode" right?

"challenge" does not mean challenge. renember season2 challenge motes? they where a joke.

Steel and fire isn't actually part of Icebrood Saga though. They made that very clear when they released it.

As for Strikes, we haven't had a strike since Whisper of Jormag (Cold War is listed as a strike, but it's a glorified tower defense simulator at best.) The truth is, Anet starts working on some great content, then at the first sign of dislike from the player base, they give up and do something completely different. We didn't ask them to abandon Strikes completely, but rather to double down on them and add more mechanics to make them more raid like. Not one single strike requires you to have a tank, one of the core principles of baseline raiding. That imo would have been the next logical step after Whisper. Cold War / Forging Steel are just a complete step away from raid like content.

@"Delita Silverburg.8632" said:

1. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content? That is what you claimed back at the beginning of the Icebrood Saga.I don't believe that this was ever stated as a goal. Do you have a quote somewhere?

For me this part is some kind of emotional roller coaster. I didn't expect to be happy about that missing meta achievement, because I don't have to do things I hated in the last parts, like creating TWO really expensive weapon sets I will never use. The story began quite nice, but ended in some confusing state of "preparing your team and speak to that NPC". This week-by-week progressing is on one hand quite "realistic", but feels stange in a gameplay.The new missions are ok for me, not too long, and if the health points of the bosses are reduced, it should be ok - but the tiny rewards for this 30min are really bad. Compared to fractals ... well, better not compare that to anything else. At least I won't do these missions to often.The new home instance node is ... how many years will it need to compensate the costs, if you sell your two crap stones day by day? ANet could do better here.

while i agree that we slowly getting too much content for the more casuals(just doing daily fractals, strikes, the nee drm, some specific maps and maybe wvw/spvp and/or pve is taking a good amount of time), i can see why they drop every content besides fractals. would you spend recources on something most will do a few times and then go back to the same grind?also, the defenition on "tank" in this game is pretty broad. strikes are fine as they are, they could add a few more, i agree, but they probably expand a bit on the drm and then do something else. maybe the hyped wvw update :V

Very glad they did not add another Strike Mission. At least these Dragon missions are casual, if not a slog. The grind for mats for the weapons is just another big NO for me, but I guess that goes for any LW weapon collection. Not my thing. Story, boring. The whole Faction thing, to which I was kinda looking forward to, appears to be another forgettable gimmicky feature that only applies to the Dragon missions, i.e. nothing that adds to the gameplay of other modes or Open World. What was I thinking, silly me.

Best addition to the game in the last 6 months: the Portable United Legions Waystation. I pop these regularly. If people only knew what they were for.

@kharmin.7683 said:

1. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content? That is what you claimed back at the beginning of the Icebrood Saga.I don't believe that this was ever stated as a goal. Do you have a quote somewhere?

Here

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:Hey everybody, my name is Andrew Gray. I took over as Content Design Lead a few months back and I want to talk a bit about last year, this year, and what's on the horizon for Guild Wars 2.

• Our intention was for Strike Missions to be that intermediary step into 10-person content. As we've mentioned before and you've likely noticed, strike missions are getting harder. Once a full suite of strike missions is complete there should be a graceful ramp up to the existing raid content rather than the imposing leap that previously existed, and our hope is once that ramp is in place, the number of players participating in raids will go up. In addition to that, we're striving to make improvements to Strike Missions themselves to make grouping easier, and to improve the rewards. We hope this will help introduce more people to 10-person content, which will in turn increase the number of people interested in Raids.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Strikes were always mean to bridge the gap to raids by having a series of boss instances which stepped gradually up to raid level, acclimatising skill level as they went. Something I assume Delita was referring to since the devs have been pretty open about that.

In terms of what they designed, they kinda got it right. There is a clear gradient between them all. However, what the devs never said is that there would be a constant supply of them. I think they only ever intended to have half a dozen of them and by the time Cold War launched, they had the structure in place through the Visions release to rotate them as dailies in EOTN

There's an argument a 7th would be one a day each week, but 6 allows them to rotate the set so that it isn't the same one on a set day every week (eg Monday not always being Kodan)

I get people want more, but if they only ever intended to have 6, then Strikes are done for the Saga and 6 is a pretty balanced number given thata) the public versions have died a complete deathb) there's already too much player based gating stunting their growth as content now

@Kondor.2904 said:

Here

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:Hey everybody, my name is Andrew Gray. I took over as Content Design Lead a few months back and I want to talk a bit about last year, this year, and what's on the horizon for
Guild Wars 2
  • Our intention was for Strike Missions to be that intermediary step into 10-person content. As we've mentioned before and you've likely noticed, strike missions are getting harder. Once a full suite of strike missions is complete there should be a graceful ramp up to the existing raid content rather than the imposing leap that previously existed, and our hope is once that ramp is in place, the number of players participating in raids will go up. In addition to that, we're striving to make improvements to Strike Missions themselves to make grouping easier, and to improve the rewards. We hope this will help introduce more people to 10-person content, which will in turn increase the number of people interested in Raids.

Thanks. My point was that I didn't recall ANet saying that each LS chapter would have a strike mission which was inferred by this post:

1. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content? That is what you claimed back at the beginning of the Icebrood Saga.

I don't remember this claim.

ok, my 5th cents:

1. ONE STORY INSTANCE. that's it? Just one? Disappointing.after few month one more .. Put all part on one day also not good.

2. No new map to explore? Even more disappointment.we have enough map. Want pve action? Drafonfall, Drizle , sw , and oher meta..

a. You have to be in the same EotN instance as all your party members in order to join the same instance of the DRM.yes, It was tested per fist hour. Be on same map. Solved.

b. I did the CMs with a pick up group of people without so much as a healer or any boons and completed it with over half the time still on the clock.we happy that you you cool. But LS not for 1% same people that do raid and etc. For most true GW2 people compiled 5th Ascalon dungions still trouble.Want challage? go raids. This is STORY! cm story aslo STORYBtw we fail it sometimes with KP group too. So we very glad that you skilled player.

1. New set of Stormcaller weapons that are only luck based drops attached to yet another high AP achievement. (Current TP price 400g ea.)? this is ok and we happy or that? You can easy buy it per one minute, buy gems, convert to gold, welcome on TP. Or "Want pve action? Drafonfall, Drizle , sw , and oher meta.."

2. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content?yes, link Dhuum kp to kill Boneskinner! great. Want one more same strike? You call it "preparation" ??

Bottom line: Casual players rejoice while raiders continue to cry. (Reminder: Last raid released 17 months ago now.)I get voice that new raid wind will be soon, so relax.

I think gw2 has enough settings and new maps, I want to see modern core tyria and how the world, our home, our backyard has progressed after killing a god and 3 elder dragons.

I do think the actual gameplay could use work (health sponge knockback spam is BORING), but I'm satisfied with the lore and story direction.

As for strikes, I don't think they were used as a gateway to raiding - they were used by content starved raiders who set their own raiding li kp limitations to exclude the newbies, the same newbies strikes were meant to train. Good ridence, I say.

@"Randulf.7614" said:b) there's already too much player based gating stunting their growth as content now

If developers add rewards, this happens every time. If they refuse to add rewards, it would be dead on arrival. If they were designed for solo with equal challenge for the most part compared to the co-op version, it would be better for everyone. "but then people would only do it solo!" well, yeah. I still don't see how or why this is a problem.

At first i was thinking this was a constructive post, and i agreed. But when you end with your hardcore vs casual polarisation rant, you discredit yourself. Their is no one 'casual players' entity. You have normal players (hate the term casual) who play 1 hours a week, you have who play 15 hours. You have players with light skills, medium skills and good skills. I am not a hardcore player. But i do have big concerns over the drop in quality of the content (recycling, tedious repetitive vertical walls to artificially gate everything, that feels like classic ftp asian mmos).