Champions episode is lackluster at best.

To me It feels like we actually got 4 instances within the story and the Devs just decided to make 3 of them repeatable with a new name to fill out content even though gameplay wise they are time consuming and boring to play. I doubt even the most casual Players are rejoicing in this content

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets see where this episode goes to lol. the current release is dry grind, the most boring release we ever had. i hope we can get the crystals in another way later cause i cant motivate me doing these copy paste missions more than once.

its like the restaurant anounces nice fresh bread and you get dry toast from yesterday lol

@Super Hayes.6890 said:Isn't there still unreleased content for this episode? I hit a point where I have to wait like six days or something to continue. Does the release conclude after that? I feel like I've missed something.

You've completed all there is for now, All we do now is wait.There's going to be I think 6 more missions and I assume some story to go along with it released possibly weekly between now and January.

They are going to release more content as the weeks go by, similar to season 1 (which I might add a lot of people have been looking to that content format with rose colored glasses the last few years). So this first “chapter” isn’t complete. They are staggering content over time. How satisfying that content will be is anyone’s guess at this point.

However, I did like the release as brief as it was. The writing was great as far as character development/dynamics were concerned, and it had really interesting world building with how pronounced the racial agenda of the asura was. This saga in general has done well showcasing the varying agendas and attitudes of the norn, Charr, and (now getting into) the asura. I just wish the writers had been able to take their proper time, but it seems clear to me the studio is in chaos to some degree and NCsoft is tightening the leash (and essentially forced the studio to rewrite for an expansion they had no plans to make at the start of IBS).

I liked going back to old maps for fresh new instances. Lots of mmo use old maps for new stories and tell great stories doing so, such as FF14. I wouldn’t mind more of that in the future, cause it gives the studio room to focus more on characters, world building, and quality story content when they’re not crunched to pump out new maps.

It was short, and there will be more story, but the sudden format change is a bit worrying and jarring. I really liked the IBS and it’s clear it has been cut short to push out EoDs. It’s unfortunate that the studio doesn’t feel stable, but they’ve dealt with a lot the past couple years.

I found the DRMs mechanically boring, and frustrating to boot with all the knockdown effects (which only serves to punish casual players in unorganized parties). I think the DRMs will be cool to replay a few times, but long term, I don’t think they have much value as replayable content without some reworking (that I doubt will happen).

My biggest gripe is the sudden shift in the plot. We can kill dragons now? What happened to the world ending if another dragon dies? Has the whole cast been dumbed down, or do they really believe Jormag? Are we being magically persuaded to go along with Jormag’s desire to kill Primordus, and that’s why no one is earnestly resistant to the notion of killing another dragon? It doesn’t feel like an intriguing or purposeful mystery, it just comes off as a sudden and gross retcon. It tainted the otherwise great character work of this episode, for me.

@"Svennis.3852" said:They are going to release more content as the weeks go by, similar to season 1 (which I might add a lot of people have been looking to that content format with rose colored glasses the last few years).

I've repeatedly read this false claim these past couple of days. It's just not true. People were asking for Living World Season 1 to be re-released as playable content in the style of Season 2, 3 and 4. No one was asking for even worse spoon feeding than we've already had this past year (namely in the style of the original Season 1).

@"Delita Silverburg.8632" said:I know you guys are all gung ho about End of Dragons, but this has to be the worst content release since I've been back to the game. Lets go through the worst points I've experienced.

1. ONE STORY INSTANCE. that's it? Just one? Disappointing.
  2. No new map to explore? Even more disappointment.
  3. Dragon Response Missions are not only buggy, but lackluster content at best.a. You have to be in the same EotN instance as all your party members in order to join the same instance of the DRM.b. I did the CMs with a pick up group of people without so much as a healer or any boons and completed it with over half the time still on the clock. CM still stands for "challenge mode" right? As in something that requires coordination and skill?
  4. New set of Stormcaller weapons that are only luck based drops attached to yet another high AP achievement. (Current TP price 400g ea.)
  5. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content? That is what you claimed back at the beginning of the Icebrood Saga.

Bottom line: Casual players rejoice while raiders continue to cry. (Reminder: Last raid released 17 months ago now.)

I'll leave you guys with this quote and I do hope you all have a great day regardless of my complaints about the design direction.

A partially cooked poached egg needs to be put back in the oven, not given up on entirely.-Mighty Teapot

Guild wars 2 was or should never be about raid. Its was an experiment the major part of the community does not give a f. about raid. Stop whinning and move on, there are plenty of other mmo focus on raiding.

@Mea.5491 said:I agree that this episode is disappointing but I just laugh when people complain about no new map. I've been following the forums for many years and the players ASKED Anet to NOT make a new map with every episode. :lol: This is hilarious.

Not really.As long as new maps are being released, only the people who don't wan't new maps are vocal. (and vice versa)It's only hilarious if it's the same people complaining in both cases.

@roederich.2716 said:lets see where this episode goes to lol. the current release is dry grind, the most boring release we ever had. i hope we can get the crystals in another way later cause i cant motivate me doing these copy paste missions more than once.

its like the restaurant anounces nice fresh bread and you get dry toast from yesterday lol

I would say its 1 step above season 1 repairing signs.

@Linken.6345 said:

@roederich.2716 said:lets see where this episode goes to lol. the current release is dry grind, the most boring release we ever had. i hope we can get the crystals in another way later cause i cant motivate me doing these copy paste missions more than once.

I would say its 1 step above season 1 repairing signs.

There's a certain irony in that episode began the Flame and Frost arc which so many speculated would bring Jormag and Primordus into the story in one big battle (and of course was utterly unrelated)

I don't know it was pretty challenging when I had 3 longbow rangers in my team afk autoattacking upscaling the boss. ;)

That's the biggest problem with the public mission to be honest. The private grouping problem is primarily a LFG issue (there should be ability to switch squad to party or list as party for Champions episode).

I feel as though Dragon Response Missions are more to get people in the habit of grouping.

The Volcanic Stormcaller weapons are likely meant to be similar to "Aurene weapons" (weapons of the scion) in nature but tradeable. They ought to have been ascended though if they aren't craftable or exchangeable for crystal bloom support marks. Maybe there is a 1000 Dragon response mission "pity counter".

edit also: https://massivelyop.com/2020/11/17/flameseeker-chronicles-first-impressions-of-guild-wars-2s-icebrood-saga-truce/

We asked ArenaNet’s representatives why this new type of instance is capped at 5 players rather than 10 like Steel and Fire. Their reason was that Steel and Fire, while designed to scale from 5-10 players, becomes much more challenging in smaller groups, a frustrating experience that I think a lot of players have shared. They found that the mechanics scale much better in the 1-5 player range.andIf you’re a fractal fan, you might be understandably worried about the future of your favorite mode. ArenaNet was quick to assure us that the purpose of dragon response missions was not to replace fractals or strikes, but as something new and different, and that they have no plans to discontinue work on those any time soon.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Delita Silverburg.8632" said:
  1. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content? That is what you claimed back at the beginning of the Icebrood Saga.I don't believe that this was ever stated as a goal. Do you have a quote somewhere?

Clayton Kisko (Senior Game Designer) said the following at the announcement of Icebrood Saga Episode 1."A new type of content, known as Strike Missions, is coming with the new Living World. This is 10-player content against challenging bosses and are meant to be an easier stepping stone to raids. This comes with a Public Mode where anyone looking to go for the same boss as you in the map will be put in the same squad, which should allow for more organisation as you tackle open world content together. "

Unfortunately I can't find the official link atm, but here is a review website if you wanna read about it in detail.http://virtuallyinterrupted.com/the-icebrood-saga-announcement-summary/

@Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

1. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content? That is what you claimed back at the beginning of the Icebrood Saga.I don't believe that this was ever stated as a goal. Do you have a quote somewhere?

Clayton Kisko (Senior Game Designer) said the following at the announcement of Icebrood Saga Episode 1."A new type of content, known as Strike Missions, is coming with the new Living World. This is 10-player content against challenging bosses and are meant to be an easier stepping stone to raids. This comes with a Public Mode where anyone looking to go for the same boss as you in the map will be put in the same squad, which should allow for more organisation as you tackle open world content together. "

Unfortunately I can't find the official link atm, but here is a review website if you wanna read about it in detail.

Thanks, again. Where does it state that there will be a strike mission released with each and every chapter? That is what I am trying to find out.

@particlepinata.9865 said:At first i was thinking this was a constructive post, and i agreed. But when you end with your hardcore vs casual polarisation rant, you discredit yourself. Their is no one 'casual players' entity. You have normal players (hate the term casual) who play 1 hours a week, you have who play 15 hours. You have players with light skills, medium skills and good skills. I am not a hardcore player. But i do have big concerns over the drop in quality of the content (recycling, tedious repetitive vertical walls to artificially gate everything, that feels like classic ftp asian mmos).

You make a good point, I lashed out at the lack of content I enjoy playing and unfairly labeled my frustrations at the end with typecast terms like casual and raiders. For that I will concede and apologize. I'm only really disappointed in the drought of content I like is all.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Unfortunately I can't find the official link atm, but here is a review website if you wanna read about it in detail.

Thanks, again. Where does it state that there will be a strike mission released with each and every chapter? That is what I am trying to find out.

Neither I nor anyone has said they had to release a strike mission with every single chapter. I'm just disappointed they haven't released a proper strike since Whisper. IMHO Forging Steel and Cold War don't count as they are much more Meta event and instance dungeon based. (Meaning you don't fight a single raid boss as a 10 man group that needs heals, boons and a tank.) Strikes had so much potential, and now it just feels like yet another abandoned piece of content.

@Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

Neither I nor anyone has said they had to release a strike mission with every single chapter. I'm just disappointed they haven't released a proper strike since Whisper. IMHO Forging Steel and Cold War don't count as they are much more Meta event and instance dungeon based. (Meaning you don't fight a single raid boss as a 10 man group that needs heals, boons and a tank.) Strikes had so much potential, and now it just feels like yet another abandoned piece of content.

I get that and yes they had potential, but seemed fairly clear that as stepping stone to raids, the number would be finite. Once Visions came out and the structure for daily rotation was in, it was clear that they had designed all that was coming.

I'm not sure they have been the success they could have been, but I think the Saga has done all it intended to do. 6 is pretty decent number - we don't have to see one per release. More might come with the expansion.

I wouldn't say it is abandoned just yet. Just a complete set for this Season

No new map? Forgivable. But lots of other bad decisions all around.

No new map, fine. So lots of ressources for story telling and bug fixing. Right? Maybe a legendary? Maybe even some rng-free collections?

No, instead not much story at all. Very short. And with busted scaling. This is from my POV the most disappointing living world release,

@Randulf.7614 said:

I get that and yes they had potential, but seemed fairly clear that as stepping stone to raids, the number would be finite. Once Visions came out and the structure for daily rotation was in, it was clear that they had designed all that was coming.

I'm not sure they have been the success they could have been, but I think the Saga has done all it intended to do. 6 is pretty decent number - we don't have to see one per release. More might come with the expansion.

I wouldn't say it is abandoned just yet. Just a complete set for this Season

Are strikes locked behind the ibs saga? New players that might jump in Eod will likely use the boost and go do EoD and after that the next season of lw. These ppl are gonna be able to play Strikes?

I think it would be far better for the health of the game if strikes kept of as a stepping stone to raids and just released more so ppl would try the new stuff. Like ff14 does with trials.

Every lw gets a couple that give it more replayability and cool story encounters.

1. No new map to explore? Even more disappointment.

There's good value in making the old maps more interesting as well.

1. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content? That is what you claimed back at the beginning of the Icebrood Saga.

There's a ton of stuff in this game to "prepare players for raids." The biggest obstacle to widespread raiding will always be in organizing a raid group itself. I'd much rather have some more interesting single-player/hot-join PvE stuff to do than yet another thing where all my playtime is gated through joining a PVE guild or staring at the LFG list.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:No new map? Forgivable. But lots of other bad decisions all around.

No new map, fine. So lots of ressources for story telling and bug fixing. Right? Maybe a legendary? Maybe even some rng-free collections?

No, instead not much story at all. Very short. And with busted scaling. This is from my POV the most disappointing living world release,

I can't form an opinion until I see what happens over the next few weeks. I enjoyed the response missions. I wish we had more knowledge about what was still coming but I will just decide to be content waiting for the moment. I hope they don't disappoint and the new way of releasing an episode turns out good. We'll see.

@"Svennis.3852" said:

The writing was great

it's so funny, you're a hell of a joker

@Makuragee.3058 said:

@"Delita Silverburg.8632" said:I know you guys are all gung ho about End of Dragons, but this has to be the worst content release since I've been back to the game. Lets go through the worst points I've experienced.
  1. ONE STORY INSTANCE. that's it? Just one? Disappointing.
  2. No new map to explore? Even more disappointment.
  3. Dragon Response Missions are not only buggy, but lackluster content at best.a. You have to be in the same EotN instance as all your party members in order to join the same instance of the DRM.b. I did the CMs with a pick up group of people without so much as a healer or any boons and completed it with over half the time still on the clock. CM still stands for "challenge mode" right? As in something that requires coordination and skill?
  4. New set of Stormcaller weapons that are only luck based drops attached to yet another high AP achievement. (Current TP price 400g ea.)
  5. Yet another chapter of living story released without a strike mission that prepares players for raids. I thought the goal was to give people a clear path to raiding content? That is what you claimed back at the beginning of the Icebrood Saga.

Bottom line: Casual players rejoice while raiders continue to cry. (Reminder: Last raid released 17 months ago now.)

I'll leave you guys with this quote and I do hope you all have a great day regardless of my complaints about the design direction.

A partially cooked poached egg needs to be put back in the oven, not given up on entirely.-Mighty Teapot

Guild wars 2 was or should never be about raid. Its was an experiment the major part of the community does not give a f. about raid. Stop whinning and move on, there are plenty of other mmo focus on raiding.

It's so arrogant to say that.And why arena could not satisfy several types of players, the raiders AND the casuals players?

Casus have 99% of the game made for them so I don't see the hassle of creating HM content sometimesFor example for the next extension (cantha), they can create lots of maps for casuals players and 2 raids for hm players (urgoz and the abyss like during gw1 faction) ..