Gem Store prices are unbalanced.

@"dace.8019" said:I can't agree harder with the OP. The first thing I do when contemplating gem store (or any mtx) purchase is compare the value to the game itself. While almost nothing looks good in this light (which helps maintain a degree of prudence) when something looks particularly egregious I can't buy it. Like costing the same as the game or an expansion for a skin or effect. It reflects badly on the company because I wonder "Do they think I'm a sucker?" and that perception about a business asking me for money is bad for that business. And I do spend money on Gem store here and there, so ANet aren't all bad on this front but they do have some items in there that are, frankly, a rip-off.

I don't find that it reflects poorly on a company that provides a game that is free to play. Some of the more pricey items in the gem store are equivalent to a month or two of another game's subscription. When looked at things in this light, I find the pricing to be very fair, especially for cosmetic adds to the game which are in no way required to play. Now, personally, I do make the value judgement on items in the gem store, but that's my own perception on a case-by-case basis.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kharmin.7683 said:So, you're saying that the game is dying?

In a game that is free to play (just bear in mind that it used to be pre-paid content), overpricing cosmetic garbage I think does reflect poorly. I get only the impression that ANet just want to make money out of me, not that they're so passionate about their game that they appraise it too highly, as if they're innocently ignorant. There's so much unappealing cosmetic/utility crap on the store that I can't help but feel like if they poured that development time into more functional content—as we've all seen that they can pull off flawlessly—then it would give a lot of the prices some meaning. I don't want a will they/won't they situation when it comes to expansions, either—I want to see evidence of a hard roadmap that they'll follow through to the end. What they're doing right now is clinging to what's left of the game, banking heavily on the new expansion that until a good few months ago wasn't going to happen, when they were laying staff off. When they do finally stop releasing major updates, the BLTC will still remain, perhaps with the odd few additions, waiting to sap more money out of those who want to keep the game running. And if the prices don't remain the same when that happens, then they'll be even more ridiculous.

If you want to see some evidence of this, then look at the predecessor game. Take from this what you will, though. I think the message is there though and is very clear.

@SleepingDragon.6054 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:So, you're saying that the game is dying?

In a game that is free to play (just bear in mind that it used to be pre-paid content), overpricing cosmetic garbage I think does reflect poorly. I get only the impression that ANet just want to make money out of me, not that they're so passionate about their game that they appraise it too highly, as if they're innocently ignorant. There's so much unappealing cosmetic/utility kitten on the store that I can't help but feel like if they poured that development time into more functional content—as we've all seen that they can pull off flawlessly—then it would give a lot of the prices some meaning. I don't want a will they/won't they situation when it comes to expansions, either—I want to see evidence of a hard roadmap that they'll follow through to the end.So, I get it. In your opinion of the way things are in your view that yes the game is dying. Practically everything you're saying here is personal preference and not fact. And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

What they're doing right now is clinging to what's left of the game, banking heavily on the new expansion that until a good few months ago wasn't going to happen, when they were laying staff off.Layoffs were never about GW2. I really wish people would remember history and stop repeating this false pretense.

When they do finally stop releasing major updates, the BLTC will still remain, perhaps with the odd few additions, waiting to sap more money out of those who want to keep the game running. And if the prices don't remain the same when that happens, then they'll be even more ridiculous.Pure conjecture and speculation. Neither of us knows if this will happen or not. Also, any pricing is subjective. Clearly enough players don't object to the current state of things or else Anet wouldn't price their cosmetics as they have.

If you want to see some evidence of this, then look at the predecessor game. Take from this what you will, though. I think the message is there though and is very clear.Evidence of what, exactly? The game dying or Anet sapping more money out of those who want to keep the game running?