Gem Cards at 20% Off During the Best Buy Gaming Weekend (NA) - [Merged]

That's true, the volume of players buying gems from the discount would be more than the discount but...That would probably create a ton of players who are only waiting for gems to go on sale and never buy gems at normal price. It's what i would do honestly.And not to mention, that would really start affecting gem to gold conversion prices as well. Probably very negatively since players would stock up on gems on discounts and gold to gem prices would go down as in - you'd get less gems for gold than you do now.

It's best if the prices remain stable, and only the retailers sometime have discounts, although i don't think that's a good idea either in terms of stability.

I mean, yeah, everyone would like to have more gems for less but idk, doesn't seem really worth it in the long run. Maybe i'm wrong.

@Veprovina.4876 said:That would probably create a ton of players who are only waiting for gems to go on sale and never buy gems at normal price. It's what i would do honestly.

That's what I'd do (and what I have done in Elder Scrolls Online where it's been a few years since I bought crowns at full price). I'd maybe buy more the first time around (potentially about 4000 gems, which would last me about 6 months based on past experience) then wait for another sale before buying any more with real money. If, after a year or so the sale looks to be a one-off I'll probably go back to buying gems as and when I need them but if sales are happening reasonably regularly (twice a year or so) I'll probably only buy during sales.

I think it really comes down to how quickly most players spend them. I know some people talk about buying cheaper items like dye kits or black lion keys with 'left over' gems after getting whatever they actually wanted, or converting them into gold, just to use up the remaining balance. If that's more common than saving them it could actually work out well for Anet - players would buy gems during a sale, use them buying stuff they wouldn't normally consider because it's cheaper, then buy gems at full price next time something they want comes along.

I have no idea what the long-term impact on the gem to gold conversion rates would be though. I think at first a lot of people would convert gems to gold and the price to do that would go up, causing the price of gems bought with gold to go down. But of course if it dips too much lots of people will start converting their gold while it's cheap and it will go back up again. If it was a one-off sale it might not have much impact but if it got to be a regular thing I'm not sure what would happen.

@"DaVid Darksoul.4985" said:Saw that a retailer is offering a 20% discount on gem cards for the Holidays, would be nice if Anet would mimic that thru the TP. Being a virtual currency whose production costs are practically non-existent the loss of profit per unit by applying a discount would be vastly overshadowed by the increase sales volume.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-gem-cards-at-20-off-during-the-best-buy-gaming-weekend/

also i agree with you that it would be nice if Anet offered it through their own in game trading system-minimizing RTS and account exploits and account hijacking and victimizing off innocent players who knew about it-took some time off-casual players. Other gaming companies does it, why not here?

(side note)-Red Flag-- accounts encouraging raising sell prices on the trading posts, should automatically be looked into as soon as possible

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:That would probably create a ton of players who are only waiting for gems to go on sale and never buy gems at normal price. It's what i would do honestly.

That's what I'd do (and what I have done in Elder Scrolls Online where it's been a few years since I bought crowns at full price). I'd maybe buy more the first time around (potentially about 4000 gems, which would last me about 6 months based on past experience) then wait for another sale before buying any more with real money. If, after a year or so the sale looks to be a one-off I'll probably go back to buying gems as and when I need them but if sales are happening reasonably regularly (twice a year or so) I'll probably only buy during sales.

I think it really comes down to how quickly most players spend them. I know some people talk about buying cheaper items like dye kits or black lion keys with 'left over' gems after getting whatever they actually wanted, or converting them into gold, just to use up the remaining balance. If that's more common than saving them it could actually work out well for Anet - players would buy gems during a sale, use them buying stuff they wouldn't normally consider because it's cheaper, then buy gems at full price next time something they want comes along.

I have no idea what the long-term impact on the gem to gold conversion rates would be though. I think at first a lot of people would convert gems to gold and the price to do that would go up, causing the price of gems bought with gold to go down. But of course if it dips too much lots of people will start converting their gold while it's cheap and it will go back up again. If it was a one-off sale it might not have much impact but if it got to be a regular thing I'm not sure what would happen.

Yeah, i'm not sure myself. But i think it's better if the gem price is discounted and they just discount gem store items sometimes like they did so far.And that's true, you'd see a lot of flippers buying gems with gold cheap and when the gold price goes down, converting those gems back into more gold.Idk if i explained that entirely correctly, but you know what i mean. Buy cheap, sell high, ??????, profit lol.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Yeah, i'm not sure myself. But i think it's better if the gem price is discounted and they just discount gem store items sometimes like they did so far.And that's true, you'd see a lot of flippers buying gems with gold cheap and when the gold price goes down, converting those gems back into more gold.Idk if i explained that entirely correctly, but you know what i mean. Buy cheap, sell high, ??????, profit lol.

Does all that even matter? We are paying REAL money for VIRTUAL. Who honestly cares if someone in a game has more fake money then you? When I buy gems its to treat myself, if I can do so cheaper I am all for that. I dont care if another player can walk around saying "I'm rich you know" ingame or irl. I can still kill them ingame and laugh at them irl. News Flash all currency exchange rates always favor coercing players to use rl money to purchase ingame crypto.

@DaVid Darksoul.4985 said:

Does all that even matter? We are paying REAL money for VIRTUAL. Who honestly cares if someone in a game has more fake money then you? When I buy gems its to treat myself, if I can do so cheaper I am all for that. I dont care if another player can walk around saying "I'm rich you know" ingame or irl. I can still kill them ingame and laugh at them irl. News Flash all currency exchange rates always favor coercing players to use rl money to purchase ingame crypto.

Well it will definitely matter when - due to inflation possibly caused by gem conversions when all people have tons of gold and not just a few, then when you have to play 17 gold for 1 ecto, with no way to farm that amount in game other than gem to gold conversion, then it will matter.

This is of course, an extreme example, i really doubt that would happen, but the economy in any MMO is always wonky, there's really no need to shake it further.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for cheaper gems, but maybe it wold be better to leave the gem/gold conversions out of it, and just have store items on sale. That way, you can still get more for your gems, but since the gems still have a stable price, you can't get cheaper gold for it.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Carnius Magius.8091 said:How much do these cards affect the gold to gem prices?

Zero if the ones buying it aint converting those gems to gold.

But, once these gems are used they go into the gem pool which adds supply, no? There should be some effect.

I don't think Gems used in the Gem Store (for items) go into the pool. Only Gems that are traded for Gold.

Meanwhile In Europe:https://www.game-key.nl/product/guild-wars-2-2000-gems-card/https://livekaarten.nl/guild-wars-2-gem-card-4000https://www.cdkeys.com/nl_nl/pc/punten/guild-wars-2-2000-gem-points-card-pc

(Some random resellers, I don't necessarily recommend them)

And the official resellers mentioned by ArenaNet for The Netherlands don't even sell them anymore.