Now that I'm 80? (gear)

Boans.1307

Hey all, I was hoping someone could give me a couple of pointers on the best armor I can get solo (or duo)? My wife and I just dinged 80 on our first characters and were curious what the best gear was we could get just running around together? We may do some dungeons or something later but wanted to gear up as much as possible and run around and explore for now.

(Engineer and Thief)

While armor and weapon exotic should be your first goal, you can already go for some ascended jewelry:

If you play now around a month (daily login assumed) you should have the laurels for an ascended Amulett (laurel merc in lion arch or if you also played wvw at wvw-Laurel merc for fewer laurels and some badges of honor).

Ascended rings you should get in low-level (daily) fractals (either as drop or from fractal relict merc).

For trinkets (earrings ...) you can play guild mission with a guild or you can buy them for Living Story map currencies.

Back pack either Living Story map currencies (I prefer 3.1 due to easy stat change) or fractal relict merc or achievements like mauldrey

If you wish to play WvW then I would suggest figuring out what class and role you want to play first.

It’s one of the few modes where build diversity is much more prevalent.

If you wish to play sPvP then don’t worry about your gear as they use an amulet system which is more standardized. You pick it..

If PvE (minus raiding, speed runs in fractals etc) generally Berserker gear, or possibly Maurauders. Goal in open world for most is to kill fast before they have a chance to hit you much.

If you like more of a condi play style, vipers can be very effective in open world, but others may suggest something else on this.

@"Boans.1307" said:Hey all, I was hoping someone could give me a couple of pointers on the best armor I can get solo (or duo)? My wife and I just dinged 80 on our first characters and were curious what the best gear was we could get just running around together? We may do some dungeons or something later but wanted to gear up as much as possible and run around and explore for now.

(Engineer and Thief)

https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

Gear in this game is relatively simple. There's only 7 rarity tiers and all items with the same rarity and level requirement are equally good. A level 80 exotic helmet from a random drop will have equal stats to one from a dungeon, one that's been crafted or one from an achievement etc. So there's no need to go out of your way to get equipment from a specific part of the game, you can choose whichever method is best for you.

At level 80 you only really need to worry about the top two tiers - exotic and ascended - because level 80 exotics are widely available and can be bought from the trading post relatively cheaply. (Some exotics are very expensive, but that's because of the skin or because they're needed for collections, not because they have better stats.) Ascended has slightly higher stats but it's also not required for anything except high level Fractals and recommended if you want to raid. It's also harder to get because it only drops from a few places and is expensive to craft.

The one exception to that is ascended trinkets (amulet, accessories and rings) which can be bought with laurels if you want a 3-stat combination, or you can get ones with selectable stats that include 4-stat combinations from vendors on Living World season 3 and 4 maps.

So the general advice for players in your position is to buy exotic weapons and armour from the trading post and then get ascended trinkets because the stat boost is worth the extra effort. Later on you can work on getting a full set of ascended equipment if you want to, but you won't need it unless you want to play the hardest Fractals or raid regularly. (And if you do then mid-level Fractals and raids will likely be your best way to get it.)

What is important is choosing the right stats for your build. That makes a huge difference. A decent player in rare equipment with good stats for their build could easily out-perform a player in full ascended with a bad stat combination. But which ones are right for you depends on how you play. For example if you don't use many conditions then you'll probably want Power to boost your direct damage, but if you do use a lot of conditions then Condition Damage is more important. If you're confident using dodge and other active defences you could skip Toughness and Vitality (which boost your armour and health) but if you find it hard to stay alive you might find the passive defence boost helpful.

If you have a good idea of which stats would be useful you can use this table to choose stat combinations: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute_combinationsAnd then this table to find out how you can get them: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats

If you're not sure what would be a good choice tell us a bit about the weapons and skills you both use and how you like to play and we can recommend some options.

@"Boans.1307" said:Hey all, I was hoping someone could give me a couple of pointers on the best armor I can get solo (or duo)? My wife and I just dinged 80 on our first characters and were curious what the best gear was we could get just running around together? We may do some dungeons or something later but wanted to gear up as much as possible and run around and explore for now.

(Engineer and Thief)

Good news! No gear treadmill here! The difference in stats between Legendary/Ascended and your run-of-the-mill Exotic gear is only about 5%. Much more important is the synergy between the stats you choose and the rest of your build.

If you're totally lost on determining the best playstyle for you, first head to sites like metabattle.com which can give you some ideas of what more experienced players find works well. Once you've taken a look at that, come up with a build that you think matches how you want to play (http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ is a handy tool for that!). Then head to your respective profession forum and discuss it there by telling them what your goals are for this build and what results you expect. You should get plenty of feedback and suggestions that way.

The rest is just learning as you go! Good luck!