Adjusting crit chance and crit damage calculations. This is just a fun discussion topic.

Now as an explanation I love balanced games that aren't overly broken but games like WF and their builds that can break the game is fun as all heck no doubt. I wanted to bring a similar level of build breaking into the guild wars 2 but more balanced. My current idea is to bring a system like WF's orange critical hits. For those who do not know critical chance in that game over 100% gives a chance to orange crit which adds a level of crit to the damage calculation. in the case of orange, it applies a damage multiplier calculation of:

FCM = 1+ CT x (CM - 1)FCM is Final Critical ModifierCT is Critical TierCM is the critical modifier

So, let's say the crit multiplier is 3x the damage, orange crits are tier 2, so the formula for that would be equate to 6x the damage. but this brings a problem to games like gw2. So, this is my idea instead of using that formula let's say you have a crit chance over 100% and you would have a chance to "over-crit" which instead of being a multiplicative bonus would just add 25%flat to your critical damage stat. So, if you have a critical damage of 200% you would instead get a crit multiplier of 225%. I do not think this would be overly game breaking. and under circumstances you would have a 141.476% Chance to crit. This is with the following gear, 10 berserker's stat equipment and 4 assassin's equipment with. You would also have a base critical multiplier of 245.73%. So, under the games formula currently you would smack an enemy every hit 2.45x the damage of your skill every hit no matter what. Under my suggestion you would deal 2.45x every hit, with a 41.5% chance to hit 2.7x damage instead.

So as an example, we'll say your skill deals 1,000 damage for the sake of simplicity. So, when you hit you would deal 2,450 damage and have a chance to hit 2,700 damage. which is a 9.7% damage increase for that hit, but you can only rely on that half of the time so it would be an approximate 4.85% increase from your normal damage if it only goes of half the time. Obviously if you're lucky it will be more or if you're unlucky it will be less. Also, the damage of your skill would also play a part of the percentage increase to. The more damage a skill would deal the more of an increase it would be. I have thought about an idea for this, but i think it would kind of ruin the fun factor a bit too.

My second idea is instead of just a flat 25% modifier addition. Have every skill have a separate multiplier increases between 5% and 25%. Weaker skills would get higher multipliers and more powerful skills would get lower multipliers. Let's say your weakest skill deals 100 base damage and your strongest skill deals that deals 5,000 base damage. so the 100-damage skill would have the 25% increase which would make it deal245 damage every hit and have a chance to deal 270 damage a hit. giving it the 9.7% increase that hit or 4.85% average. And the 5,000-damage skill deals 12,250 under normal circumstances and 12,500 damage under a over-crit. which is a 2.02% increase in that hit, or a 1.01% average damage increase.

I do not think this would ever be implemented in sPvP. I don't think you can get a critical chance over 100 anyways in the mode. Also, I would expect values to be reduced for WvW if they even do that. because hitting someone for over their health bar would be a bit much. Also I'm sure, doing changes like this would take a long time and may never come at all. I just think it would be a cool idea to add and talk about.

Please don't be extremely over harsh in your replies, I have had too many people do this in other communities I have been apart in. I know some people can be passionate about these kinds of things. I just want something to discuss peacefully for fun, and to see if I people would agree with me. Enjoy your time, and thanks for reading. :tongue:

I'm all for anything that gives the game more complexity.

What i dislike in general is how we have traits on certain classes that all do the same thing basically...just in different trait lines. It's redundant design and it makes choices less meaningful because it's too obvious to find out the most optimal choice.

The fact that some classes have traits that can push their precision above 100% by an nearly an extra 50% and how others can barely scratch 60% is a real issue to me.

But about your idea, i like it...it's interesting and adds a level of complexity that in turn adds more meaning to those redundant choices to give them actual meaning.

The fact that some classes have traits that can push their precision above 100% by an nearly an extra 50% and how others can barely scratch 60% is a real issue to me.

It's papercraft theory for fractals that I did the math on. My Weaver elementalist can hit these numbers in theory and there is no traits that give precision from what I know of. Normal people will stop agony resistance at 150 thinking it has no effect beyond that. Well with your fractal masteries. The offensive potion gives 30% of your total agony resistance per stack and stacks up to 5 times. With all 18 infusions at +30, which would be beyond expensive, and with all account wide increases, plus the mist lock singularity buff, and the one consumable that gives 15 more agony resistance you get a total of 605 agony resistance. You take 30% of that and you get 181.5 precision per stack. With 5 stacks you get 907.5 precision. At level 80 it takes 21 precision to get a single percentile of critical chance. so that is 43.21% critical chance from just the potion. Then with the 10 berserker's stat equipment and 4 assassin's equipment, the exact combination can be found on metabattle's site. This was also calculated with no precision boosting food and wasn't sure if the fractal potions are thier own buff or a utility. The math i did suspects they are a separate buff, however i am not certain and they very well could be a utility. Also, the item I was looking at didn't give any precision anyways it only gave power based on precision. This was also considering my team was using builds that effect also increase my precision like a banner warrior. Also was using a sigil that really wouldn't be used in the build, and under the effect of the fury boon. In theory every class can hit this. I would also say that because of the potions the +9 mighty infusions are significantly weaker than normal high resistance ones when you are building an offensive dps fractals build, as without other team buffs you essentially get 96% chance to critical iirc.

My sources:fractal potion effect (the very last bullet in maximizing resistance): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony_ResistanceHow much precision per 1% critical chance: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PrecisionThe Weaver build I am using and gearing for: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Power_DPS_Sword

@TheSoulTkr.6928 said:With all 18 infusions at +30, which would be beyond expensive, [...]Expense is not even the problem here. A single +30 Agony Infusion contains 536,870,912 +1 Agony Infusions. The tradingpost does not have enough supply to make even one, assuming anyone could afford it. It can be a fun thing to theorycraft with thanks to the sheer scale of it, but it will never be practical.

Expense is not even the problem here. A single +30 Agony Infusion contains 536,870,912 +1 Agony Infusions. The tradingpost does not have enough supply to make even one, assuming anyone could afford it. It can be a fun thing to theorycraft with thanks to the sheer scale of it, but it will never be practical.

well not entirely true, there may not be enough +1 infusions but im pretty sure there are other infusions on the trading post that would cut down on that number because they were already upgraded via an artificer. I doubt there are enough infusions either way.

Damage calculations like in WF are definitely interesting, but honestly that game is a power crept nightmare and the gameplay is suffering because of it. There is elegance in simple but effective systems and i think adding more complexity to gw2 stats would do more harm than good.

That game is also adding more powerful weapons constantly. When has GW2 added new weapons that have more stats than other things? The only time I can think is when they added ascended gear to the game with fractals of the mists. Ever since then no other weapon or armour piece has ever been added that adds any form of power creep what so ever. There is no such thing as power creep in GW2 so a system like this would not hurt the game and make it more inersting with more build diversity than berserrkers for everything because best dps.

as an aditional side idea:

I also had an idea for changing condition damage slightly too as those aren't affected by your defense for boss npcs that makes sense because they have insanely higher stats than you. In PvP and WvW my friends and I have been talking because condition damage is so powerful that defense stats should be applied to conditions. It wouldn't be the same stat for the conditions either. Like we though that, vitality would reduce poison and confusion damage, and toughness would lower bleeding, torment, and burn damage. However that is a much more powerful change even though it would spark even more tanky builds It would cause more of a disruption than adding a over critical system. Also seeing there are ways to remove conditions and or negate them i didn't feel it was a good system anyways