[Question] Legendary weapons aura/footprints

I've seen people suggest in the past that the auras and footprints from legendary weapons should be split from the weapons skins and be togglable effects once unlocked. I think this would be a great idea as it would motivate people like me to work towards getting legendry's for weapons we don't use very often as well as reduce the feeling of being locked into a specific weapon build or look after investing so much effort to acquire a particular legendary. It would also open up options for the people who don't like particle effects as they can toggle the effects off for their character and so be able to use the legendary skins if they like the weapons aesthetics. It could also possibly open up more gem store options for new footstep effects if arenanet wanted to. My question is does anyone know if a system like this would even be possible to implement with the current weapons or would it be similar to the situation around dyeing old backpacks where the games coding prevents it from being done?

@silverthorn.8415 said:My question is does anyone know if a system like this would even be possible to implement with the current weapons or would it be similar to the situation around dyeing old backpacks where the games coding prevents it from being done?I doubt anyone who actually knows will reply on these forums. My guess would be that it's like with the old backpieces. Also, as you mentioned selling foorfalls/animations on the gemstore, this could very likely happen as it would sell, where looking back at existing content like legendaries does not create revenue, so why bother...

@lokh.2695 said:

@silverthorn.8415 said:My question is does anyone know if a system like this would even be possible to implement with the current weapons or would it be similar to the situation around dyeing old backpacks where the games coding prevents it from being done?I doubt anyone who actually knows will reply on these forums. My guess would be that it's like with the old backpieces. Also, as you mentioned selling foorfalls/animations on the gemstore, this could very likely happen as it would sell, where looking back at existing content like legendaries does not create revenue, so why bother...

It would probably sell, but it's the kind of things that'd risk causing an uproar, like when they added some fire effect to light human T3 gear (Flamekissed skins first look) and tried to sell it on the gem store. There was such a fuss that the devs had to change the skin entirely.

I doubt it would happen but I'd love if they did. I have several characters who would benefit aesthetically from different legendary effects, but because of weapon restrictions, can't even equip the legendaries I have. I have a toon which can't use Lbows but would look great with Kudzu's flower effects.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@DeanBB.4268 said:If you don't like the look of a Legendary, just apply a new skin. Problem solved.

But what's the point then?I mean, other than the huge convenience.

You need some bragging rights to go along your legendary, why slap a skin on as soon as you make one? :tongue:

Because you dont like the skin and want the convenience most likely.

@Linken.6345 said:

@"DeanBB.4268" said:If you don't like the look of a Legendary, just apply a new skin. Problem solved.

But what's the point then?I mean, other than the huge convenience.

You need some bragging rights to go along your legendary, why slap a skin on as soon as you make one? :tongue:

Because you dont like the skin and want the convenience most likely.

I honestly don't like most legendary weapon skins.They're either joke skins or really "meh" at best.

That's mostly what's been keepeng me from making one, and why i decided to go with Legendary Armor first (which i have yet to make).

I mean look at this:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quiphttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shooshadoohttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Moot

Joke pistol? Aquarium shield? Disco Mace?I would totally feel like a legendary warrior walking with those around.

Other skins are fine if underwhelming i guess, some of the special exotic skins look like legendary ones.Example:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Minstrelhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Predatorhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sharur

Meh...

I like Veilrender, that's on par with the legendary skins for instance, not too busy and tastefully done. It's only missing footprints and other effects like "astral arm" and the like. But i wouldn't want or expect that from an Ascended anyway. But all in all if you take the footprints out of the quation, it's comparable to say, The Minstrel in terms of effects and looks.

I mean, compare theese two:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bolthttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Charged_Stormcaller_Sword

I like the Charged Stormcaller way better, and its price isn't even compareable how much cheaper it is. Yeah it's not legendary, but we're talking about the looks here.

Anyway, if i needed a legendary pistol, and all that i could get was Quip i'd change my profession main and make a different legendary.THAT's how ugly it is to me.

So the point is - i can see why someone would want to change the weapon skin, but keep the other effects tied to a legendary.Because some legendary weapon skins are just bad.

Maybe one day when gen 3 WvW only legendary weapons come out that you'll have to grind 16 months worth of gated material for just 1, they'll make it so that people can change the skin but keep the effect. :wink: /sarcasm

I mean, i get why Anet wouldn't do that as well. The weapons stop beign unique anymore.But i get the people's who want this side too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually I think it would be great if Anet created some way to turn on/off legendary equipement animations, by the way it's a shame that your footsteps only come from the main hand weapon - what if somebody has legendary off-hand and legendary main hand but prefers footsteps from the off-hand weapon? Maybe in that case You could show footsteps from the off hand on the left foot and the other one on the right foot? Footprints are what makes you stand out from the crowd, i feel like it's one of the most rewarding parts in getting legendary weapon since gw2 is constant fashion show xd (buying footsteps from the shop would take away that "reward" from grinding leggys) , shame that you can't at least choose which footsteps will be shown! :/

It would be great if there were toggles for the footprints. I wouldn't go as far as making footprints account wide, or being able to mix and match footprints and weapon skins, but having the ability to choose offhand weapon footprints to show up would be really nice. Or maybe randomized footprints, chosen between main and offhand. That would be cool.

I have posted similar requests in other topics. Is it possible? Yeah its possible. Is it worth their time? Is the better question to be asked. I personally would say yes. Customization always is a boon to any game. When done correctly there are huge profits to be made.

One of my concerns is if they did decide to go all in and really give us some crazy effects to equip then they better have a way to tone it down for people that don't to stare at these effects if they don't want to.

My second concern would be how the game engine handles all of this because right now people have reported having performance issues when they just have the Vermillion Wings on their character.

@"Excursion.9752" said:

My second concern would be how the game engine handles all of this because right now people have reported having performance issues when they just have the Vermillion Wings on their character.

I don't think it would be an issue since footprints are already in the game and lots of people are using them. The only thing that would change is the ability to choose them.

@Mariwach.4072 said:

@"Excursion.9752" said:

My second concern would be how the game engine handles all of this because right now people have reported having performance issues when they just have the
on their character.

I don't think it would be an issue since footprints are already in the game and lots of people are using them. The only thing that would change is the ability to choose them.Just because things are currently in game does not necessarily mean that it is being processed optimally. If a effects tab was added to the Hero's Panel then people would have access to any account bound infusions, foot falls, auras, ect... Right now people are limited to what they can use because every "special effect" is tied to a item like a weapon or infusion. So there is less of it.

If we gave everyone access to everything they unlocked everyone will be running around like a lit up Christmas tree on the 4th of July. This could cause performance issues for not only them but the people around them depending on the computer and load on the server.

• 2 months later...

@Excursion.9752 said:

If we gave everyone access to everything they unlocked everyone will be running around like a lit up Christmas tree on the 4th of July. This could cause performance issues for not only them but the people around them depending on the computer and load on the server.

Yeah, that's true – giving ability to wear everything that the players unlocked would be catastrophic if not worse, but i belive that enabling players to at least choose which footsteps to use, if they wield two legendary weapons woud be kinda cooli, or maybe like i said earlier – create a way to combine this effects? Any of these changes would surely enchance the gameplay when it comes to character customization. Leggies are huge investment and players should have chance to show off every bit of grind they have spent on acquiring these, in this case – with combined/switchable footsteps. This change by itself wouldn't be as much of an impact on ones performence, but a cool feature that rewards grinding in extra bit of cosmetic freedom.