Stop giving skins in lootboxes to mounts we dont have

vicky.9751

I'm fine with them being RNG. it's a lootbox, i get it. but i feel like i wasted 400gems to get a skyscale skin that i dont even have, and have NO interest in grinding for. I don't even have all of the season 4 maps. Why should I get a skin for that mount? Why cant they fix this?

There are currently 3 seperate mount adoption licences available on the gem store. The one in your image is the Exotic Breeds Licence, which doesn't include any skyscale skins. The other two are the Distant Lands licence (which also doesn't have skyscale skins) and the Bizarre Beasts licence (which does have skyscale skins). It's important to make sure you buy the right one for the skin/s you want because each one has an entirely different selection. (It's the same for all the other licences which are available.)

I assume you bought a Bizarre Beasts licence, then previewed the Exotic Breeds one, which explains why you don't see the skin you unlocked in the list.

Having said that none of the random 400 gem licences lets you narrow down the selection, except for the fact that they won't give you a duplicate. It's entirely random, including the possibility to get a skin for a mount you don't have. It's the same with everything random in the game - for example a black lion chest could give you the Vermillion Greatsword Skin, even if you don't have any characters who can use a greatsword and it's useless for you. That's part of the risk you take when gambling on random items.

If you want to avoid getting a skin you don't want or can't use you need to buy the select licences, which let you choose the skin/s you want.

@vicky.9751 said:I'm fine with them being RNG. it's a lootbox, i get it. but i feel like i wasted 400gems to get a skyscale skin that i dont even have, and have NO interest in grinding for. I don't even have all of the season 4 maps. Why should I get a skin for that mount? Why cant they fix this?

Well that is how RNG works sometimes you get crap, next time buy the 1200 gem box that gives you the ability to choose which mount skin you want, that is what we managed to get in the Great Loot box war of GW2 when they added it, aaah fun times. It was the same time as EA screwed the pooch, talk about how tone deaf Arenanet was(is,lol).

I have several Alt accounts that I also use for key-runs. If I win a skin with that account for a Mount that I do not have, it feel like it's the perfect incentive to start the quest for that mount. I won that horrible Pegasus skin once, and now one of my Alt accounts has the Griffon. :)

Just shows how different people approach the game. Doing such content on an Alt account is much more fun for me then for instance grinding all LW Weapon collections on my Main account. No way I will do that, just like the OP would not consider doing the Skyscale quest. Which, btw, I am doing on ALL my alt accounts, just because it is such a good mount, and I like the quest too.

I think I'd be a lot happier if they simplified lootboxes in such a way that they'd be arranged by mount. Only use Jackal? Buy a Jackal box. Only use Beetle? Beetle box.

Yeah, they're going for the grab-bag mentality where you'll buy 40 blindbags in hopes of getting 'the cool one', but they don't have to go as hard with the RNG as they have been. At least let there be a slight guarantee you'll get something you have a chance of using. In a perfect world, they wouldn't be RNG'ing gemstore purchases at all, but that's not where we're at.

Getting mount skins in this game is absurdly complicated.

That's part of the reason I stick to buying select licences and the occasional 5-pack (although the main reason is I don't like loot boxes and never buy them - I want to know exactly what I'm getting for my money). The only problem with that approach is I think the select licences are too expensive, so I wait until they're on sale for 800 gems or less, which can take a while. But since they're purely cosmetic (and I had to wait months for any skins I wanted to be available at all) I don't mind waiting.

@Danikat.8537 said:That's part of the reason I stick to buying select licences and the occasional 5-pack (although the main reason is I don't like loot boxes and never buy them - I want to know exactly what I'm getting for my money). The only problem with that approach is I think the select licences are too expensive, so I wait until they're on sale for 800 gems or less, which can take a while. But since they're purely cosmetic (and I had to wait months for any skins I wanted to be available at all) I don't mind waiting.

Back when I played WoW - I think I bought about 10-20 new mounts over the years. In Wildstar, I bought a few. In ESO I've bought several. In FFXIV, I've bought a few.

Here... I bought the Halloween pack when it first came out - it think it was low priced at the time. And I have bought exactly one other mount skin since - the new bird raptor.

The price is set poorly. It's above impulse buy, so a person stops and thinks 'do I really want that, is it really going to improve my experience?'

• and once you are thinking about a purchase, the majority of potential buyers walk.

Expensive goods like cars, home AC, and so on work by using high-pressure sales psych tricks to keep you from thinking about what's going on until after you sign a contract, and cheap goods work by making the price low enough that you don't care. Everything in between - has to deliver quality and wait for you to come back after thinking it over.

The price needs to be about half of what it is. Cut it there, and they'd get about 3-4x as many buyers. There is a point where this diminishes, but I suspect it's even lower than half... because these things are not even new mounts, they're mostly just reskins - and so the impulse price on that is probably around under $3-5... Yet that bird... cost me $20. Which is why it was the first time since 2017 that I bought any mount skin.

(there is one other I am thinking over... but even if I did get that, that's not a way to fund a business - 2 sales in 4 years...)

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:I'd buy more mount skins if we could get the suggested "Jackal Box" or "Skimmer Box," whatever. A random skin occasionally is fun, but the game seems to know that the Beetle is the mount I use the least since I get so many Beetle skins.

We've swapped our rng luck. I have never received a beetle skin.

i do not have warclaw, i do not have any need for warclaw, i do not want a warclaw, i have no plans to get warclaw, there is zero chance for me to even get it while doing something else because i hate wvw with burning passion.

needless to say it always stings a lot to put gems into licenses only to get warclaw skins.

@Kichwas.7152 said:

The price is set poorly. It's above impulse buy, so a person stops and thinks 'do I really want that, is it really going to improve my experience?'

• and once you are thinking about a purchase, the majority of potential buyers walk.Personally, I agree with this.

The price needs to be about half of what it is. Cut it there, and they'd get about 3-4x as many buyers. There is a point where this diminishes, but I suspect it's even lower than half... because these things are not even new mounts, they're mostly just reskins - and so the impulse price on that is probably around under $3-5... Yet that bird... cost me $20. Which is why it was the first time since 2017 that I bought any mount skin.Anet sets the price point to generate the most revenue. Just because neither you nor I agree with the price doesn't make it the wrong price. If these items didn't sell for the price that Anet set, then they would change the price. Since it seems to be meeting their financial goals, there is no need for them to change it.