So what is the point of DRMs?

Lamont.5973

I have done the 3 DRMs every night since release but I suspect I am done with them. I don't mind that the three are very similar. What I mind is that there is no real point to them. You get two different currencies which buy the same stuff and, once you get everything they can buy you can get materials to turn in for more of one of the currencies to get more materials for more of the the same currency? What's the point. The craftable weapon set has no mastery but the rare drop one needs 15 for a mastery and you can't collect any kind of currency to get them like you could with runic armor. I fought teq every night for 2 years and got one teq weapon in all that time. I don't think I want to repeat that experience for 15 weapons. So I'll probably play each DRM as they come out once or twice. Other than that I think I have done all I want of this new episode.

Right now u do 3 to get those 6 prismaticite. If they only used for weapons and nothing later on then if you don't care about the weapons then 0 reason. You can hope for 200g weapon boxes I have yet to see. I'm guessing more will be added in a day after the cd finishes. If not I really don't know if I'll keep doing them plus there's 7 more drm coming supposedly so you got that to look forward too

@Randulf.7614 said:This is only the first part of the first chapter

10 DRM will come after these 3, and I already want to throw myself from a bridge after having only done 3. This is really one of the most annoying and ridiculous things I've done in the game. Yet, there was competition during living story 1...It's gonna be just awful for months.maybe the last episode will be a little different but we already know that the next 2 episodes will be uninteresting.

@Randulf.7614 said:This is only the first part of the first chapter

Yeah and I'll do the rest of the DRMs once each. But no more than that unless there are some major changes in the reward. Thing is, if it had been the crafted weapons that had given the mastery I would cheerfully keep doing them like I did the strikes because it would have meant gradually working toward a goal. But another teq debacle? no thanks.

@"Jilora.9524" said:It's not like Teq tho as you can buy these

Indeed, and if they drop down to 10g or less each I will probably do so. But what I WON'T do is play the DRMs over and over hoping for one to drop - that's what I mean by "debacle." I won't waste my time trying to get something and only getting junk I don't want or need. So, sure, I will pay a little gold if they come down in price but what I won't do is waste my time playing the "content."

@radda.8920 said:10 DRM will come after these 3, and I already want to throw myself from a bridge after having only done 3.

Oh my... Where did you read that information? I hope it's not accurate. 10?!? :cry:

This is really one of the most annoying and ridiculous things I've done in the game.

What's even more ridiculous is when groups are asking for LI for this type of content. :lol:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@radda.8920 said:10 DRM will come after these 3, and I already want to throw myself from a bridge after having only done 3.

Oh my... Where did you read that information? I hope it's not accurate. 10?!? :cry:

This is really one of the most annoying and ridiculous things I've done in the game.

What's even
more
ridiculous is when groups are asking for LI for this type of content. :lol:

I can understand that if you want to get through cms smoothly, I usualy do it with 3 other friends so we only get 1 pug.No need to ask for li then.

What I don't get is how they're going to do DRMs in LS3 and LS4 maps, that's a bit unfair. Forcing players who play IceBrood Saga to buy both LS3 and LS4 to play all the DRMs, I don't think the devs have ever done anything like that before.

I mean sure its okay for us veterans but what about new players? Would've been better to stick to Central Tyria.

Maybe the DRMs will allow entrance into Lake Doric and Thunderhead Peaks without the previous Living World seasons, like some kind of sneak peak. But I'm not sure that's even possible with the way the content gates are set up.

@Hannelore.8153 said:What I don't get is how they're going to do DRMs in LS3 and LS4 maps, that's a bit unfair. Forcing players who play IceBrood Saga to buy both LS3 and LS4 to play all the DRMs, I don't think the devs have ever done anything like that before.There is nothing suggesting you will have to buy LWS3 and 4 to play all the DRMs. The DRMs are instances one access from the EoTN. Only thing you will need is the Champions episode.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:What I don't get is how they're going to do DRMs in LS3 and LS4 maps, that's a bit unfair. Forcing players who play IceBrood Saga to buy both LS3 and LS4 to play all the DRMs, I don't think the devs have ever done anything like that before.There is nothing suggesting you will have to buy LWS3 and 4 to play all the DRMs. The DRMs are instances one access from the EoTN. Only thing you will need is the Champions episode.

Two of the DRMs Mastery Points are located in Lake Doric and Thunderhead Peaks which are exclusive maps. Like I said, maybe they'll allow you to enter in the instance only, but I'm not sure that's possible on the current engine design.

It was built specifically to lock players out of those maps if they don't own the content, hence teleport scrolls.

@Hannelore.8153 said:

Two of the DRMs Mastery Points are located in Lake Doric and Thunderhead Peaks which are exclusive maps. Like I said, maybe they'll allow you to enter in the instance only, but I'm not sure that's possible on the current engine design.

It was built specifically to lock players out of those maps if they don't own the content, hence teleport scrolls.

But you don't go IN the maps, just in somes instances with the same assets, so no need to have previous seasons.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"radda.8920" said:imagine, having for one and only content these missions for 6 months..... and still 7 to do which will probably be the same with just a different environment.it's really a nightmare, I feel like I'm reliving season 1 but even worseThere is nothing suggesting all of these are all the future chapters. In fact, we see the Ebonhawk and Thunderhead ones in the trailer for this chapter.

upcoming chapters feature you must have missed the sentence (1 min08)

we will probably not have this kind of mission for the last episode, maybe a map to complete the saga and introduce canthaBut I'm pretty sure the January and March episodes will be in the same format.

@radda.8920 said:upcoming chapters feature you must have missed the sentence (1 min08)Nope, I saw it.

You seemed to have missed several things however

1. We know each release is going to get multiple new content updates in the weeks following its initial launch.
  2. We know the Ebon Vanguard faction is part of this release, which would imply that the Ebonhawk DRM is coming this release also.
  3. this means chapter 1 will have 4, probably 5, of the DRMs. Chapter 2 will likely have just as many, meaning all 10 are covered in the first two chapters alone. Leaving the last two chapters with other content
  4. This would be consistent with GW2's, and game development in general. There is no way they would be far enough along with content for the last two chapters to put it in the trailer like they did.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

upcoming chapters feature
you must have missed the sentence (1 min08)Nope, I saw it.

1. We know each release is going to get multiple new content updates in the weeks following its initial launch.
  2. We know the Ebon Vanguard faction is part of this release, which would imply that the Ebonhawk DRM is coming this release also.
  3. this means chapter 1 will have 4, probably 5, of the DRMs. Chapter 2 will likely have just as many, meaning all 10 are covered in the first two chapters alone. Leaving the last two chapters with other content
  4. This would be consistent with GW2's, and game development in general. There is no way they would be far enough along with content for the last two chapters to put it in the trailer like they did.

So you saw that Ebonhawk DRM is coming in the next chapter in the trailer, but you don't like it, so the trailer must be wrong about it?Having other content with this chaper doesn't necessarily mean other DRM : it could just be another story instance.

With the rewards I suspect the idea is that you mainly use the two new currencies to get the axe skin and the weapon recipies. The karma and supply box are likely there so that if you've got all the recipies and still have crystals/seals left over they're not completely useless. That's fairly standard across most of the game, most festival/story etc. vendors offer some sort of 'grab bag' which isn't really worth getting but gives you a way to use up tokens if you've got all the other stuff.

Which also means if you've done all the dragon response missions and got the rewards you want there's no need to keep on doing them over and over. Just like you don't have to keep running the meta-events on living story maps after you've done the story and got the rewards you want. You can go back to doing whatever else you want to do instead (including taking a break from GW2 until something new comes along if you want).

@Carcharoth Lucian.1378 said:

@"radda.8920" said:
upcoming chapters feature
you must have missed the sentence (1 min08)Nope, I saw it.

So you saw that Ebonhawk DRM is coming in the
next
chapter in the trailer, but you don't like it, so the trailer must be wrong about it?Having other content with this chaper doesn't necessarily mean other DRM : it could just be another story instance.

One of the Achievements for this Chapter is to open 10 Ebon Vanguard Supply Boxes. That strongly suggests that the Ebonhawk faction is coming in this chapter. If the faction is added then it's likely that the Fields of Ruin DRM will also be added. They did say they'd be adding content between releases after all.

The Icebrood Saga: Champions

The Icebrood Saga: Champions is a multichapter Living World finale featuring new story, repeatable gameplay content, rewards, achievements, and masteries. In the weeks between releases, each chapter will continue to evolve with new content and ways to play.https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-icebrood-saga-champions/

@Hannelore.8153 said:Two of the DRMs Mastery Points are located in Lake Doric and Thunderhead Peaks which are exclusive maps.It was built specifically to lock players out of those maps if they don't own the content, hence teleport scrollsnot need do somethign special. This is instance. So you a near eye Of the Noth gate, select instance, and you in location what llok like l2, l3, or ls1 :)))