Suggestion: Wearing male outfits on female character rigs etc.

Dithnir.4593

@Psientist.6437 said:

@Psientist.6437 said:Could there be any better way to put the argument over whether female armor is sexualized to rest?That argument was put to rest centuries ago since male armor is sexualized. Its not until the modern age that feminists once again has been shocked to realize that the female form look different from males, they would naturally wear a different kind of sexualized armor suited for their shapes.

I mean unless women
want
to wear a huge metal codpiece to show off their big... uh...

I wont judge.

Where can I find men's Tyrian armor that is as sexualized as women's Tyrian armor? Or are you arguing from a general statement while ignoring that the general condition doesn't map to Tyria's specific condition. You are right that women's and mens's armor would be sexualized or designed to exaggerate features, but we don't see any parity in Tyra. A large portion of female armor looks like a Broadway theatrical performance starring women's pelvises. Only a small portion of men's armor use access to flesh as a design pillar.

Really? A large portion of female armor? What ratio? I don't see this evidenced in any of the heavy armor sets that I have. Perhaps a bit of hyperbole to make a point?

What threshold would I have pass to qualify for "large portion"? There are a lot of butt capes as drawn stage curtains in light armor. Some in medium. If I look for "armor that uses access to flesh as a design pillar" I find obvious examples in heavy armor. Are you really going to argue that there is parity men's and women's armor?!?!?

I play female characters and often equip them with sexualized skins. I understand and experience the attraction but I won't pretend parity exists.

OP, forgive me if this seems like a high jacking. I won't continue.

No, I was disagreeing with your statement that a "large portion of female armor looks like a Broadway theatrical performance starring women's pelvises." I just don't see the validity in that statement. That was all.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:I cant agree I am too terrified of "cross dressing".

That was a joke, right?

Anyway, what I would appreciate is all of the female armor versions to look as cool as the male ones. No stupid high heels, no deep cleavage or silly ribbons or whatever kitsch they apply. Or disproportional heavy armor on female humans and norm - ugh. Seriously, there is a reason why most of my characters are male!

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:I cant agree I am too terrified of "cross dressing".

That was a joke, right?No, clearly if you take into account the whole post:

I cant agree I am too terrified of "cross dressing". Charr in a Asura skirts, Asura in human skirts, Norn not wearing any skirts, THIS IS MADNESS!

You can see that I am DEAD SERIOUS.

No joke.

Some great responses. Thanks all.I did go through all the outfits (as opposed to wardrobe cosmetics which have additional issues, I imagine, in getting adjustments made to them to go cross gender) and while there's plenty of variety, it's interesting that where there are differences, particularly in light and medium outfits, they are so that females can show more flesh, excepting the FABULOUS Elonian set. Outfits like the Arctic Explorer or Jungle are less gendered and so more swappable and more value for money.It's nice to have something skimpy of course, and the Elonian set shows how it can be done for males. Perhaps going forward, new outfits could be more generally 'skimpy' or 'practical' but otherwise fairly neutral between genders, i.e. an outfit has a certain style and amount of 'skin coverage' that's consistent between genders, so if you like the outfit, you know it's going to work across most of your characters so will feel like you'll get more use and value out of it.Less than a quarter of all the available outfits to preview I would buy because the rest I don't like one of the genders (mostly) and because some of them don't transfer well to Asura or Sylvari (in my own opinion).

To address Rogue's thoughtful response regarding the prohibitive costs, I guess costs are only prohibitive relatve to ROI. Anet have the telemetry from the shop, so I imagine they're driving their work backlog from whatever yields the highest ROI/revenue. If that means outfits for females show more cleavage and leg but male equivalents have to be more 'sensible' we're stuck.