Gem store questions...

I'm looking to buy some items in the gem store maybe.I was wondering if someone can provide some additional info.

Question 1I assume that the Unbreakable Gathering tools function on everything right?I mean, the plain looking ones, not the fancy animation ones.

Question 2About the Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic...Wiki says it functions like a Basic salvage kit.But later down it says that maybe it functions like a Master salvage kit?https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Copper-Fed_Salvage-o-Matic"Originally the item was basic rarity and functioned exactly like a Basic Salvage Kit, however after the November 26, 2013 game update, the rarity was changed to rare and users reported that it began functioning like a Master's Salvage Kit instead.[1] The description remained unchanged, and it is uncertain if this was intentional behavior. The item's rarity was changed back to basic in a later update."

Which one is it? I assume it's back to basic? And is it worth getting at all compared to buying normal salvage kits?I mean, besides the convenience. What's the math here? And what items should i use it on, and what items should i not use it on? Like, what's the best use for it, which items are best salvaged with it? Do i salvage everything including Exotics with it, or just up to Yellows, idk...

Question 3What other account upgrades are useful to have in any way? I'm not interested in skins or outfits, just useful permanent stuff.I've been thinking material storage expander maybe, i have a lot of materials that are in my characters inventories because i already have full stacks of them in my storage. They're taking up my inventory space needlesly and i don't want to sell them because i'll need them for legendary crafting.Other than that, idk, any suggestions?

Thank you for your time!

What other account upgrades are useful to have in any way?

Have you got a lounge pass? I don't think I could play GW2 now without access to Mistlock Sanctuary :)Have you got a number of alts? If so, Shared Inventory slots are well worth the investment.I also get a lot of use out of the World Boss Portal device.

Copper works like a basic. Silver o matic works like a rare

Yes unbreakable tools work on everything

Shared storage is very useful albeit very highly priced (imo) for a single slot. Material storage expanders are essential space clearers. I have up to 1500 stacks atm and it is a game changer for me

1) Even the plain looking unbreakable gathering tools should be of the highest tier, aka able to gather at any node.2) Don't know which salvaging kit the Salv-O-Matic is based on. However, the helps a lot with keeping your inventory tidy. I probably wouldn't buy the rare one again, but the copper one is a staple for many players.3) A lounge pass is nice, extra storage always comes in handy and the shared inventory slots are a good way to save resources if you have a lot of alts and maybe fancy items you want to use on all of them.

Copper fed salvage kit is best used on white, green and blue materials (basic, fine and masterwork). Silver fed is best used on Yellow (rare)I personally salvage almost everything like thisAll white green and blue using my copper fed salvage kitI got plenty of mystic forge stones, with no other use. So for Yellow salvaging I use mystic salvage kit (buy a master salvage kit, journeyman salvage kit and a fine salvage kit and use it with 3 mystic forge stones in the mystic forge to get a mystic salvage kit with 250 uses (for about 27 silver). This is a lotcheaper then the silver fed salvage kit and due to the 250 uses almost as efficient in it's use. I use it on rares. I never buy black lion salvage kits, but I got plenty in the bank from daily rewards and stuff, so I use those for exotic salvaging. the few times I ran out of BL kits I used the same mystic salvage kit.

All the unbreakable gathering tools, including the basic ones, are Orichalcum tools so they work on all nodes in the game. The only difference between the different types of unbreakable tools on the gem store are the animations and that some come with glyphs. (And just in case there's any concerns about the future from anyone reading this: Orichalcum tools have been top tier since the game was released. There haven't been any new tiers or new nodes which need special tools added in HoT or PoF and there's no reason to think they'll be added in EoD or beyond.)

I agree that shared inventory slots are very useful if you play more than 1 character. I use them for things like revive orbs and things like the fractal or HoT map potions which I could use on any character and would forget to collect from the bank before starting that content, as well as keeping a few slots free to pass items between characters without having to go back to the bank twice.

Other than that I think bank tabs and character slots are my main 'must have' although even then I only buy them rarely, I've got 8 bank tabs and 14 character slots total now. Material storage expanders could be useful, although I haven't bought them because I only have excesses of a few materials at a time, but I can completely see how they're useful for other people.

I also like the 'lounge' passes. I got the Lily of the Elon one with PoF which is useful both for an instant teleport to a town and later got the WvW one as well, which has the added option of going straight back to the map you were on. I now use a confusing mix of the two passes, the Heart of the Mists and going through one of those 3 to get to a city, based on what I want to do and where I feel like going at the time, but it's nice to have the options.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:I never buy black lion salvage kits, but I got plenty in the bank from daily rewards and stuff, so I use those for exotic salvaging. the few times I ran out of BL kits I used the same mystic salvage kit.

Not only do I never buy black lion kits, I've sometimes ended up using the ones from login rewards on rares just to use them up because otherwise I end up with too many of them. Maybe it's because I don't have time to do meta events daily, but I never seem to get enough exotics to use them up.

The item(s) I use the most is Lounge Pass(es).
Next useful, for me, is probably Material Storage Expansion.In the past, I acquired extra Character Slots.

In the future, you may want to acquire Mount Skins (if you ever plan on having Mounts), to avoid a 'bug' some players encounter. (Using default Mount Skins may cause your character to appear to drop to ground level and stay, even though the game has your character moving away.)

(I also enjoy the Glyph of Industry.)

@costepj.5120 said:

What other account upgrades are useful to have in any way?

Have you got a lounge pass? I don't think I could play GW2 now without access to Mistlock Sanctuary :)Have you got a number of alts? If so, Shared Inventory slots are well worth the investment.I also get a lot of use out of the World Boss Portal device.

I don't have a lounge pass, no.Aren't they just like cities more or less? Just a convenience?I was thinking about shared inventory slots, i have 2 now, but idk, they're kinda pricey for 1 slot, it's too much.And the World Boss Portal device sounds great, but for now, not worth it to me since i only play WvW on my main and Fractals on my alt.Will keep in mind for future when i decide to do more Open world stuff, thanks! Didn't know that existed even lol. :smile:

Thanks for your input!

@Randulf.7614 said:Copper works like a basic. Silver o matic works like a rare

Yes unbreakable tools work on everything

Shared storage is very useful albeit very highly priced (imo) for a single slot. Material storage expanders are essential space clearers. I have up to 1500 stacks atm and it is a game changer for me

Ah, so i shouldn't use it on anything Yellow or above, thanks!And good to know about the tools. :smile:

I'm beginning to think material storage is also essential. I'll never get to deposit all my 12983452985792 bloodstone shards but idk at least one expansion would be good for me so i don't have to lug around blood vials, claws, acid sacks and all other items i can't store anymore. And my inventory is full of them, i think that alone would free one bag worth of space from my inventory.

Thanks for your input!

@lokh.2695 said:1) Even the plain looking unbreakable gathering tools should be of the highest tier, aka able to gather at any node.2) Don't know which salvaging kit the Salv-O-Matic is based on. However, the helps a lot with keeping your inventory tidy. I probably wouldn't buy the rare one again, but the copper one is a staple for many players.3) A lounge pass is nice, extra storage always comes in handy and the shared inventory slots are a good way to save resources if you have a lot of alts and maybe fancy items you want to use on all of them.

1) Thanks, good to know! :smile: I mean, logical too, it would be stupid if a gem store item couldn't gather everything lol. I was just making sure.2) Yeah, i've seen that a lot, people store it in a shared slot and it's mostly convenience. Will think about it, thanks!3) I don't think i need a lounge pass right now, i don't see what's so special about it to be honest. Mainly because i mostly play WvW so a lounge pass would probably be wasted on me lol. And yeah, my bank is getting really full, i've been thinking about another bank tab as well. I do store stuff for future use there, especially the stat selectable exotics and ascended drops i get from fractals, plus, tons of skins and potential weapons to use that i don't want to sell for 1g a piece - i'd rather at that point just use the weapon on one of my alts and unlock the skin in the process.

Thanks for your input!

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Copper fed salvage kit is best used on white, green and blue materials (basic, fine and masterwork). Silver fed is best used on Yellow (rare)I personally salvage almost everything like thisAll white green and blue using my copper fed salvage kitI got plenty of mystic forge stones, with no other use. So for Yellow salvaging I use mystic salvage kit (buy a master salvage kit, journeyman salvage kit and a fine salvage kit and use it with 3 mystic forge stones in the mystic forge to get a mystic salvage kit with 250 uses (for about 27 silver). This is a lotcheaper then the silver fed salvage kit and due to the 250 uses almost as efficient in it's use. I use it on rares. I never buy black lion salvage kits, but I got plenty in the bank from daily rewards and stuff, so I use those for exotic salvaging. the few times I ran out of BL kits I used the same mystic salvage kit.

Ah yes, that's what i thought, no yellows for copper fed.I'm an idiot though and i use master's salvage kit on everything so i'd probably get a lot of mileage and potential money loss back if i buy the copper fed and use it on those tiers only. And leave master's and Mystic for yellow and up. Honestly, i'm wasting Mystic salvage and money otherwise lol.

And i know about BL salvage kits, i only use those on exotcs so i can get Globs of Dark matter. Otherwise it's a pain to get. And i didn't buy them, i just had them from rewards, they last really long if i only use them on exotics.

Thanks for your input!

@Danikat.8537 said:All the unbreakable gathering tools, including the basic ones, are Orichalcum tools so they work on all nodes in the game. The only difference between the different types of unbreakable tools on the gem store are the animations and that some come with glyphs. (And just in case there's any concerns about the future from anyone reading this: Orichalcum tools have been top tier since the game was released. There haven't been any new tiers or new nodes which need special tools added in HoT or PoF and there's no reason to think they'll be added in EoD or beyond.)

I agree that shared inventory slots are very useful if you play more than 1 character. I use them for things like revive orbs and things like the fractal or HoT map potions which I could use on any character and would forget to collect from the bank before starting that content, as well as keeping a few slots free to pass items between characters without having to go back to the bank twice.

Other than that I think bank tabs and character slots are my main 'must have' although even then I only buy them rarely, I've got 8 bank tabs and 14 character slots total now. Material storage expanders could be useful, although I haven't bought them because I only have excesses of a few materials at a time, but I can completely see how they're useful for other people.

I also like the 'lounge' passes. I got the Lily of the Elon one with PoF which is useful both for an instant teleport to a town and later got the WvW one as well, which has the added option of going straight back to the map you were on. I now use a confusing mix of the two passes, the Heart of the Mists and going through one of those 3 to get to a city, based on what I want to do and where I feel like going at the time, but it's nice to have the options.

Yeah, i don't think they'll add any tier above orichalcum tools, and if they do, the infinite ones will probably get updated to gather that tier as well, no sense in having 2 infinite gathering tools, one for orichalcum tier, and another for above.

I do fractals on just one Character, so potions and stuff is in his inventory, no need for shared inventory slots for that. But yeah, they're useful for anything else to me as well. I have 2 now, and if i buy a Copper salvage, i'll use one for that, and maybe idk, get some more to pass infinite tools around. Though, only one character really gathers anything so that would be a waste. Plus they're kind of expensive. If there was a bundle of like, 5 for cheaper i'd consider it, but right now, ehh... So much for 1 slot. For that money i'd rather buy bank or inventory slots.

And as i siad, idk about lounge passes, i don't see the appeal honestly, i can travel to WvW from anywhere, and back to Lion's arch through WvW for bank, crafting and practically everything access so idk... Is there anything extra special about them? Or just a slight convenience. If it's just convenience mostly, then i'll stick to traveling through WvW. I'm there most of the time anyway.

And yeah i only use BL kits on exotics as well, and for only that they last a LOOONG time lol, you try getting exotics from WvW lol. So i'm fine with 2-3 stacks i have for a while.

Thanks for your input!

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:The item(s) I use the most is Lounge Pass(es).

Next useful, for me, is probably Material Storage Expansion.In the past, I acquired extra Character Slots.

In the future, you may want to acquire Mount Skins (if you ever plan on having Mounts), to avoid a 'bug' some players encounter. (Using default Mount Skins may cause your character to appear to drop to ground level and stay, even though the game has your character moving away.)

(I also enjoy the Glyph of Industry.)

A lot of people seem to be using lounges lol.And yeah, Material storage is i think a must for me now, i really saved up a lot of the stuff. Even if i use it for crafting, i still have a lot. And i'll need it for legendary eventually so it's useful to have.I have enough characters i don't play right now so i'm good with character slots. 2 of my 5 characters are basically just mules at this point.

Thanks for your input!

Atm I only have a few shared inventory slots. And I bought the cheap (no extra skin just plain) harvesting tools. Then bank slots, bag slots - and matrial storage. Lounge pass only one from PoF deluxe edition.

The salvage-o-matic items together with the harvesting tools are the most convenient items I guess ... with storage. Saves additional clicks and you need to manage inventory/bank much less.

Other than that I guess it depends just on your playstyle. Personally I like to get all the nodes for my home instance. But often they aren't really worth it. Just because I want completion there. :D (For a lot of stuff you can get with the statuettes it is also available on the TP. So save your statuettes from black lion chests and use them wisely.)

The gem story often has discounts.

Well, if you only WvW and Fractals, Lounge Passes would not be worth it. They are probably more useful for wide-ranging PvE players.
I forgot to add that Bank Tabs are very high on the list. I think I'm maxed out minus one, and still could use more.
One can gather a lot of stuff over 8 years, even with two maxed Guild Storage Guilds. Lol.

Lounges are useful but I'd say their need to get has reduced since Eye of the North has come out. Yes lounges can have a few extra vendors (and vendors don't require "unlocking" first), but I'm not convinced they are worth the cost compared to access to EotN which has almost everything you need, plus access to current instanced content

@Luthan.5236 said:Atm I only have a few shared inventory slots. And I bought the cheap (no extra skin just plain) harvesting tools. Then bank slots, bag slots - and matrial storage. Lounge pass only one from PoF deluxe edition.

The salvage-o-matic items together with the harvesting tools are the most convenient items I guess ... with storage. Saves additional clicks and you need to manage inventory/bank much less.

Other than that I guess it depends just on your playstyle. Personally I like to get all the nodes for my home instance. But often they aren't really worth it. Just because I want completion there. :D (For a lot of stuff you can get with the statuettes it is also available on the TP. So save your statuettes from black lion chests and use them wisely.)

The gem story often has discounts.

Ah yes, i forgot about the home nodes.To be hones, i forgot about my home instance alltogether lol, i know i should go there once a day but it's kind of a chore for me, and idk how useful that would be. Especially sicne i don't have anything special in there. I used to go there a lot to gather sprockets and blade shards for the cool backpiece, boy was that a grind, but other than that, i have some candy corn i don't know what to do with, some HoT chests there and quartz(?) node.

How often do the discounts happen on account upgrade stuff? Maybe i'll wait for one of those.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Well, if you only WvW and Fractals, Lounge Passes would not be worth it. They are probably more useful for wide-ranging PvE players.

I forgot to add that Bank Tabs are very high on the list. I think I'm maxed out minus one, and still could use more.

One can gather a lot of stuff over 8 years, even with two maxed Guild Storage Guilds. Lol.

Yeah, if that's the case, then a lounge pass would indeed be wasted lol. :tongue:And yeah, bank tabs, man, i really needed to sort that out recently, it was brimming with items.

I wish they'd get rid of the 1 time use skin items, i got anniversary weapon skins, backpacks and all tons of crap in there that i save for "maybe one day".I'd rather that you can unlock the skin, and double click that item to get one transmutation charge and GG, it's basically the same thing. I don't know why that needs to be an item honestly if it's just a skin.

@"Randulf.7614" said:Lounges are useful but I'd say their need to get has reduced since Eye of the North has come out. Yes lounges can have a few extra vendors (and vendors don't require "unlocking" first), but I'm not convinced they are worth the cost compared to access to EotN which has almost everything you need, plus access to current instanced content

Yeah, i mean, i mostly play WvW. I have yet to start the current story, i'm not even done with LW3 that i bought recently (although i did finish HoT and PoF).So for a WvW player, lounges are probably not worth it.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:In the future, you may want to acquire Mount Skins (if you ever plan on having Mounts), to avoid a 'bug' some players encounter. (Using default Mount Skins may cause your character to appear to drop to ground level and stay, even though the game has your character moving away.)

Did you edit that in, or did i just see this now? :tongue:

Anyway...

So THAT'S what that is!!! Lol, i though it's just lag or something, but yeah, my Raptor and Warclaw often sink to the ground and then after a while i teleport to where i'm supposed to be when using it.

I'm not that bothered by it, it's just nice to know i'm not the only one haha!

EDIT: And yeah i do have most of the mounts. I just don't have the grindy expensive ones cause Eh... Not worth it right now.

Big Black Friday sales coming up, so save your purchasing for a couple of days. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/big-discounts-and-magical-new-items/

No, I didn't edit anything.

I think the Devs heard players' laments about 'skins', as the new Crystal Bloom Axe acquisition just unlocks the skin, and gives a Transmutation Charge. Hopefully, the Devs will continue with this implementation!

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Big Black Friday sales coming up, so save your purchasing for a couple of days. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/big-discounts-and-magical-new-items/

No, I didn't edit anything.

I think the Devs heard players' laments about 'skins', as the new Crystal Bloom Axe acquisition just unlocks the skin, and gives a Transmutation Charge. Hopefully, the Devs will continue with this implementation!

Oh nice! I'll wait with my purchases then! Thank you!AND the tools will be on sale! NICE!

And it would be nice if they implement that for every skin, even the older ones. They''re heading in the right direction at least.Cause i maybe don't want to apply it right away, but if i destroy the item that gives me the skin, i need to use the transmutation charge later.

And yeah, i know the item is good for only that particular skin, while the transmutation charge is for everything but come on, how much would they lose if they gave a transmutation charge and a skin to everyone who already has a particular item skin. Chances are they're going to use it on that skin anyway.

Which, to be fair, as a WvW player - i have those by the truckload, they drop from everywhere, and every reward track.But still... It's about the inventory tidyness, not the charges.