If a new Profession is added Eventually, what niche do we need?

MatyrGustav.6210

I feel that we need a classic magic caster Profession, but with melee capabilities.

Warlock

Weapon swap : Yes

Main Weapons : Sword , Dagger, Mace, Axe , Scepter , PistolOff-Hand Weapons : Sword , Dagger , Mace , Axe , Scepter, Pistol

• This core Profession would focus on Dual wield combinations.

Armor : Medium Armor

Utility : Cantrip , Signet , Well , Arcane , Meditation

Class Function 1 : Mana

• Mana regenerates slowly, and is only used for your Healing, Utilitiy, and Elite skills. Weapon attacks are on normal cooldown and grant you Mana upon Successful strikes.

Class Function 2 : Aspect of Light F1 & Aspect of Darkness F2

• Will imbue magical properties to your weapon strikes. Aspect of Light will grant Healing or Boons on weapon strikes and Aspect of Darkness will grant additional Damage or Conditions on weapon strikes, all of which would be decided through your trait path.

Specializations could be more tuned toward a specific playstyle so 2 handed weapons would be introduced.

Sorceror = Staff (Magical Dps) Glyph

Sage = Longbow (Healer/Support) Concecration

Ravager = Greatsword (Melee Dps) Conjure Weapons but like engineers weapon kits.

I have a feeling that we would just see 1 more profession added to the game making it the 10th.

Let Anet know what you hope to see :)

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:this just kinda feels like Elementalist with some rev abilities added in

Kind of similar, depends on how you look at it.

With Elementalist you have your attunments that swap your abilities completely. With the warlock the Aspects are just added effects attached to your Weapon attacks so your weapon attacks wouldnt change.

With Revenant they kind of have a Mana system, but its more like stamina than anything, and when you swap legend it brings it to half. Mana would be a slower version on Thiefs initiative, but instead of initiative being a resource for weapon strikes, Mana would be a resource for your Healing, Utility, and Elite skills, and you would perform physical attacks to gain Mana.

Thats just the system though, the abilities should be what sets them apart from other classes, in which i left to the imagination.

Personally, I don't think there is a "need" for another profession.

As for the "warlock", the focus on dual wielding don't really fullfil my image of a "classic magic caster". For me (just my opinion):

• a warlock is a mage that made a pact with a greater being to gain "power" (which is a niche that's already taken by revenant).
  • a sorcerer is someone that draw it's power from it's bloodline (From my point of view, Soulbeast flirt with the concept. I could also imagine the necromancer taping into such concept as well in a futur e-spec since blood is kinda necromancer's thing)
  • The sage "image" might fit better with your concept of light and dark, I imagine a sage as someone that use the aspect of both creation and destruction in it's magic. (That said, you could easily give a light/shadow mage concept to a thief e-spec)
  • I don't have much thought on the ravager as a concept, from my point of view it's an e-spec name that can fit almost any existing profession.

If there was a "new" profession, I'd prefer ANet to go into a totally different direction and create something more akin to lotro's minstrel or warden, relying heavily on weak skills combo to unlock more powerful skills (I'm not sure it would work well with how GW2 is built, thought).

@"Dadnir.5038" said:Personally, I don't think there is a "need" for another profession.

As for the "warlock", the focus on dual wielding don't really fullfil my image of a "classic magic caster". For me (just my opinion):

• a warlock is a mage that made a pact with a greater being to gain "power" (which is a niche that's already taken by revenant).
  • a sorcerer is someone that draw it's power from it's bloodline (From my point of view, Soulbeast flirt with the concept. I could also imagine the necromancer taping into such concept as well in a futur e-spec since blood is kinda necromancer's thing)
  • The sage "image" might fit better with your concept of light and dark, I imagine a sage as someone that use the aspect of both creation and destruction in it's magic. (That said, you could easily give a light/shadow mage concept to a thief e-spec)
  • I don't have much thought on the ravager as a concept, from my point of view it's an e-spec name that can fit almost any existing profession.

If there was a "new" profession, I'd prefer ANet to go into a totally different direction and create something more akin to lotro's minstrel or warden, relying heavily on weak skills combo to unlock more powerful skills (I'm not sure it would work well with how GW2 is built, thought).

I guess my idea was a long range strong DPS magic caster with limited spell output, that falls back on Melee strikes when low on Mana like how old games used to be.

I really like the idea of Thief being a Caster though, seems cool. Possibly a shadowmancer spec.

Great idea. Minstrel would be really cool. It could even have Paragon as a Spec to bring that back.

Anet's chosen path is elite specializations, so you are better off developing suggestions that fit within their framework. I really don't see any new professions being added, just elites. Would you be happy if they added a profession with EoD and it had one choice, when all the other professions then had three?

Plus, most of what you are suggesting sounds an awful lot like a Weaver - a sword wielding, dual-focused magic user. I would hope another elite wouldn't be added that overlapped so much.

@DeanBB.4268 said:Anet's chosen path is elite specializations, so you are better off developing suggestions that fit within their framework. I really don't see any new professions being added, just elites. Would you be happy if they added a profession with EoD and it had one choice, when all the other professions then had three?

Plus, most of what you are suggesting sounds an awful lot like a Weaver - a sword wielding, dual-focused magic user. I would hope another elite wouldn't be added that overlapped so much.

When revenant was introduced it launched with 1 spec to match what the other professions had / were getting. So if there was a new Profession added it would have all 3 specs like everything else.

I'd be fine with no new professions, but do you think anet would keep adding specs past 3 per profession? I feel like anything past 3 would be overload so at some point, i feel it would be realistic to expect a whole new profession especially since they've only added one.

I don't think any new classes are needed.

In general, I think any thematical niche people can come up with can also get translated into an elite spec for one of the existing classes. The class system covers many different thematics already.

For example, in a similar discussion someone mentioned that they would like to see 2 new classes, being some kind of "werebeast" (ability to turn into an anthropomorphic animal) and a golemancer.The werebeast thematic, IF Anet would like to explore that direction, can easily become a ranger elite spec and golemancer obviously would become an engineer elite spec, should it ever find it's way into the game as a playable class.

I didn't read any new class idea to this point which couldn't get achieved thematically by simply giving us an elite spec representing it.

@MatyrGustav.6210 said:

@"DeanBB.4268" said:Anet's chosen path is elite specializations, so you are better off developing suggestions that fit within their framework. I really don't see any new professions being added, just elites. Would you be happy if they added a profession with EoD and it had one choice, when all the other professions then had three?

When revenant was introduced it launched with 1 spec to match what the other professions had / were getting. So if there was a new Profession added it would have all 3 specs like everything else.

It was in the same launch the especs were added to the game, every class got 1 espec at the same time, that's not the same situation as what you're describing here. But that aside...

I'd be fine with no new professions, but do you think anet would keep adding specs past 3 per profession? I feel like anything past 3 would be overload so at some point, i feel it would be realistic to expect a whole new profession especially since they've only added one.

Why would it be an "overload" (overkill?)? By what standard exactly?And how would especs beyond the 3rd "set" (I don't know how far into the potential future you're trying to look here, but good luck with that btw) be too much, but a new profession, apparently with 3 new especs wouldn't be almost the same? Especially when your vague idea for a "niche-filling" class is proposing something that's already in the game?

There's plenty of room for especs and if not even that, then there's a lot of weapon/utility skills and traits in core specs that could use an update. I'd rather aim at that than force a new profession for the sake of... actually, I still don't even know what.

• Confused 1

@Yasai.3549 said:

@MatyrGustav.6210 said:I feel that we need a classic magic caster Profession, but with melee capabilities.

Dagger/Sword Elementalist : Am I a joke to yu?

Wait wait wait.

Axe Mirage : Am I a joke to yu?

Ah ah ah ah, wait wait wait.

Axe Reaper : Am I a joke to yu?

No, i mainly think a class that uses Mana just for the utility skills would be neat, and all of their melee weapons would be melee oriented (Standard).

Kind of like Thiefs initiative but just for utility skills and not weapon skills.

Im not just talking about the flavor, but more of the function.

@Sobx.1758 said:

@"DeanBB.4268" said:Anet's chosen path is elite specializations, so you are better off developing suggestions that fit within their framework. I really don't see any new professions being added, just elites. Would you be happy if they added a profession with EoD and it had one choice, when all the other professions then had three?

It was in the same launch the especs were added to the game, every class got 1 espec at the same time, that's not the same situation as what you're describing here. But that aside...

Why would it be an "overload" (overkill?)? By what standard exactly?And how would especs beyond the 3rd "set" (I don't know how far into the potential future you're trying to look here, but good luck with that btw) be too much, but a new profession, apparently with 3 new especs wouldn't be almost the same? Especially when your vague idea for a "niche-filling" class is proposing something that's already in the game?

Because we cannot equip more than one at a time. At some point i feel they would need to realize hey, we have 3 paths per class, we should add more Utility / weapons for the current 3 E specs.

If they keep adding e specs we would just have the same core skills to work with for the new e spec.

Class customization would never deepen

There's plenty of room for especs and if not even that, then there's a lot of weapon/utility skills and traits in core specs that could use an update. I'd rather aim at that than force a new profession for the sake of... actually, I still don't even know what.

After the 3rd E spec added id prefer them expanding the core classes and/or E specs for just speaking on the current classes.

That aside, i would still love for a new class. I feel like my idea is unique enough, youre just looking at "oh magic & melee Its this. We have that" my idea is much deeper than that.

Keeping in mind that there are a lot of humorous exchanges already in the game, as a niche Profession, I'd like to see the devs tackle the Bard, in the spirit of The Bard's Tale.When you're sitting alone in front of your computer & a game can make you laugh out loud, that's a good game, which this game is, but I bet the GW2 creative team could bring that comedic element to a whole new level, with the addition of Bards.

@"Stelawrat.6589" said:Keeping in mind that there are a lot of humorous exchanges already in the game, as a niche Profession, I'd like to see the devs tackle the Bard, in the spirit of The Bard's Tale.When you're sitting alone in front of your computer & a game can make you laugh out loud, that's a good game, which this game is, but I bet the GW2 creative team could bring that comedic element to a whole new level, with the addition of Bards.

Yes please, i would even love to see musical skills added too. We could have Ballads that heal. Chorus skills for boons, so the more people that join in the more potent the boon is for everyone etc. I would love this.

@"MatyrGustav.6210" said:

No, i mainly think a class that uses Mana just for the utility skills would be neat, and all of their melee weapons would be melee oriented (Standard).

Kind of like Thiefs initiative but just for utility skills and not weapon skills.

So, Revenant.

If anything, we need to move further away from Resource management as a mechanic.

The two most problematic Professions in the game when it comes to Skill and Resource balance is Thief and Revenant, all because they have "low or no cooldown" skills but fuel them with Resource.

They have been receiving slaps over the years repeatedly or straight up changes which sometimes either broke their gameplay or jettison them into FOTM.I highly doubt Anet will release a third one to add to their balance worries, even if they do have a new Profession released in the future.

@MatyrGustav.6210 said:

Because we cannot equip more than one at a time. At some point i feel they would need to realize hey, we have 3 paths per class, we should add more Utility / weapons for the current 3 E specs.

If they keep adding e specs we would just have the same core skills to work with for the new e spec.

Class customization would never deepen

Considering there are still barely usable skills/traits in the game -which I already wrote in the post you're answering to- I don't see why you'd vouch for a new profession instead of currently mostly unused skill/trait/weapon update. Also I disagree that the customization is so limited seeing how especs can easly change class mechanics to almost anything they want them to be. I still don't get the hype about "new profession" some people have as if it would bring something more than a set of especs for current 9 classes. w/e

After the 3rd E spec added id prefer them expanding the core classes and/or E specs for just speaking on the current classes.

Not trying to be mean or anything but I don't really understand this sentence. You mean just updating the unused skills/traits? Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

That aside, i would still love for a new class. I feel like my idea is unique enough, youre just looking at "oh magic & melee Its this. We have that" my idea is much deeper than that.

um... is this really that unique? Here's what I think about it:

1. Mana -that's pretty much just thief's ini system (even with an example of ini/mana partially restored for successfull strikes from p/p unload skill) or maybe even better example: revenant energy system with skills still having cooldowns. At best, "mana system" is an idea for an e-spec for one of the current classes. At "worst", we already have the equivalent of that in the game.
  2. light/darkness aspect seems to be just a more limited elementalist class mechanic. Just like above: at best, this is an idea for espec. At worst, this is just cutting ele profession mechanic into half and slapping it on thief/rev.

I can't really agree this idea goes so much deeper than what I've said, but maybe I misunderstood something here.

• Confused 1

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"MatyrGustav.6210" said:

So, Revenant.

If anything, we need to move further away from Resource management as a mechanic.

The two most problematic Professions in the game when it comes to Skill and Resource balance is Thief and Revenant, all because they have "low or no cooldown" skills but fuel them with Resource.

They have been receiving slaps over the years repeatedly or straight up changes which sometimes either broke their gameplay or jettison them into FOTM.I highly doubt Anet will release a third one to add to their balance worries, even if they do have a new Profession released in the future.

Hmmm, i can see where there can be balance issues, but i do like the idea that i can spam one type of skill if i choose to. With cooldowns, once you used that skill you have to look for another skill to use or else you wouldnt be doing max dps. Like Elementalist. You have to switch attunments just to use more skills. It feels all over the place.

With Revenant its more like stamina since they still have cooldowns associated with everything.But also i do Play Revenant Ventari, and i do love that its straight to the point. Like if I want to heal i can heal, i dont have to click so many different combinations just to get someones health up. I dont like that the weapon strikes use their energy and still has a cooldown, it doesnt make sense to me. I really dont like how Revenant forces you to switch legends if your energy is below half to get more energy. Sometimes i just dont want to switch, thus making it feel like its all ovet the place too

I would love to play a simple classic dps caster that uses a system like initiative.

Revenants class function isnt the best if added as an Espec.Thief doesnt have magic dps core skills if added, so it would be limited, and class function is still not the best.

I do see your point though on balance.

@"MatyrGustav.6210" said:I would love to play a simple classic dps caster that uses a system like initiative.

Then cut to the chase : Yu just want Thief to have a Magic spec and have a hocus pocus feel and focus.This is not something new, people have been asking for a "caster thief" for awhile now, just hope Anet is going with that for Cantha expansion.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"MatyrGustav.6210" said:I would love to play a simple classic dps caster that uses a system like initiative.

Then cut to the chase : Yu just want Thief to have a Magic spec and have a hocus pocus feel and focus.This is not something new, people have been asking for a "caster thief" for awhile now, just hope Anet is going with that for Cantha expansion.

Not really, if a Caster Spec was added, it'll be nice. But Thief as core profession doesnt have the Mage background to really warrant any customization without reverting back to what physical Thief is. I would love a full class with Magic Utility, and specs.

I really love how GW has every base themed covered, they really don't need a new class with the core specializations and the elite system they have. If there is a class missing, just adding a new elite should take care of the job. All we really need is 2 or 3 more elites, or simply one more elite, but give each elite 2 non core weapons. That should satisfy everyone, except those that are constantly trying to get the game balanced. ?